SCOTUS (Supreme Court of the United States)

Comments

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    edited June 2022
    i find the concept of audibly praying on the 50 yard line of a football game to be pretty strange. do we really have to bother god about a high school football game? come on.
    At some point it’s not praying, it’s O.C.D. It’s a ritual/repetitive behaviour, the fact god is involved is irrelevant 

it’s like a baseball player not touching the lines. 

Odds are it started after a good game 
    Or the coach learned it as a player from his coach and is trying to indoctrinate the next generation of youth.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    i find the concept of audibly praying on the 50 yard line of a football game to be pretty strange. do we really have to bother god about a high school football game? come on.
    At some point it’s not praying, it’s O.C.D. It’s a ritual/repetitive behaviour, the fact god is involved is irrelevant 

maybe for some. I think some are so ego-centric they truly believe that god helped them score that touchdown. 
    Boy did god shit on me...in terms of sports.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

maybe for some. I think some are so ego-centric they truly believe that god helped them score that touchdown. 
    Albeit different circumstances, I sure do wish we’d give the same shit to actors who thank god in their goddamn winning speeches. 

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    hedonist said:

Albeit different circumstances, I sure do wish we’d give the same shit to actors who thank god in their goddamn winning speeches. 

I think it's equally absurd. I loved Ricky Gervais's comment on that, which I'm sure you're familiar with. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    hedonist said:

I think it's equally absurd. I loved Ricky Gervais's comment on that, which I'm sure you're familiar with. 
    Every single college football player in an interview after a game thanks God.  Who are we to judge?  
    edited June 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:

Every single college football player in an interview after a game thanks God.  Who are we to judge?  
    if there is a god, he better not give two flying fucks about adults playing sports. adults playing sports in and of itself is absurd enough by itself (and yes, I watch adults playing sports). 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:

if there is a god, he better not give two flying fucks about adults playing sports. adults playing sports in and of itself is absurd enough by itself (and yes, I watch adults playing sports). 
    If there is a God, then we have no way of determining what he cares about and what he doesn't.  When an athlete thanks God at the beginning of an interview, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. 
    I wouldn't say it "bothers" me. I just think it's stupid. it more gives me a chuckle than anything. now, when a player gets injured and a group of them get together and pray for his health, that I get. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:

If there is a God, then we have no way of determining what he cares about and what he doesn't.  When an athlete thanks God at the beginning of an interview, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. 
    It bothers me a bit, but that's probably more about me...I don't think we should tell them not to.

A key difference is that they have no captive audience. Literally nobody's reaction can be used against them, as the player has no pupils or employees that might feel pressured to participate.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:

God IS the football.  Whomever carries God across the goal line wins.  Whoo hoo!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    “I don’t break down religion. Why? It ain’t smidgeon for a pigeon.”
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:

God IS the football.  Whomever carries God across the goal line wins.  Whoo hoo!
    So kickers and punters must be atheist, right? I mean, they kick the shit out of the ball for a living.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    tbergs said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:

So kickers and punters must be atheist, right? I mean, they kick the shit out of the ball for a living.

Bingo!  Well done, T!

Football Thumbs Up GIF by Baltimore Ravens - Find  Share on GIPHY

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Another great decision. This SCOTUS is an emboldened group of pricks.

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/28/1108370498/louisiana-redistricting-supreme-court-lawsuit
    is it normal for SCOTUS to make this many rulings in such a short time, or are we/the media just now paying more attention because of the rulings themselves?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

is it normal for SCOTUS to make this many rulings in such a short time, or are we/the media just now paying more attention because of the rulings themselves?
    I don't actually know...but I'm guessing not this many high-profile decisions.

If it is happening more frequently than usual, it could be because an emboldened right is bringing cases through to get to a court that is now essentially an arm of MAGA.
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    Normal for June 
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481
    SCOTUS has a calendar whereas cases reach the docket, they agree to hear arguments and issue rulings before the term ends. I believe they hear arguments in the fall up to around Christmas or January and then issue decisions before their summer recess. Also, as mentioned, the right has been active in bringing forth cases to reach the high court, bought and paid for by dark money. 
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094

Normal for June 

Well normal that it’s the end of the term in June but with a HUGE but.

The court hasn’t agreed to hear such landmark cases in recent decades because a balanced court operating based on the constitution would have no reason to hear many of these big cases…Roe, Gun carry and public prayer.

in normal times, plaintiffs would never have bothered when say Kennedy or O’Connor were the swing votes. But this 6-3 court with at least five extremists (meaning the judges decide cases strictly on their personal and political views, not stare decisis) - plaintiffs and legislatures know it’s open season and we will continue to see case after case that would never have seen the light of day become front page news.

Whats so troubling is many trump hating independents really don’t understand the history of the court and the extremism of the current rulings. So what if a football coach wants to think of his players as better people only if they participate in his publicly funded public rituals, I am Christian and if they want to pray, amen. So be it. A case like that would not have been taken seriously in a century leading up to kennedys retirement. Not in a public school. No way.

Thats why Dems need to pass laws to stack the court, to pressure both sides to agree on amendments to reform the court. If Biden stands in the way of that, time to primary him.
    edited June 2022
    I mean, they kinda started the obliteration of landmark school prayer Engel v. Vitale - which I’m sure will continue to be dismembered in the next term. Even right now, this key ruling is weakened,

“ The Court held that the mere promotion of a religion is sufficient to establish a violation, even if that promotion is not coercive. The Court further held that the fact that the prayer is vaguely-enough worded not to promote any particular religion is not a sufficient defense, as it still promotes a family of religions (those that recognize "Almighty God"), which still violates the Establishment Clause.[8]

In the sixty years since this ruling it’s been challenged three times and was sustained. So what if an issue has already been decided four times, we have the power now to do what we personally want, thanks to the seditionist.  Time to pass laws to expand the bench.

Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,422

yes. end of session is when most of the rulings come down. they listen to arguments of the cases they hear throughout the session and now its ruliing time unless there were emergency hearings for gov related stuff.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

Another day, another dollar from the draconian court. Anyone thinking this is like any other June with these unbelievable decisions, please reconsider, as they continue to redefine existing law and the immateriality of stare decisis. This is an out of control court legislating and executing from the bench, taking over all three branches of government 

Justice Elena Kagan, who was joined by Sonia Sotomayor and Stephen Breyer in her dissent, called the decision “frightening.” “Whatever else this Court may know about, it does not have a clue about how to address climate change,” Kagan wrote. “And let’s say the obvious: The stakes here are high. Yet the Court today prevents congressionally authorized agency action to curb power plants’ carbon dioxide emissions. The Court appoints itself—instead of Congress or the expert agency—the decisionmaker on climate policy. I cannot think of many things more frightening.”

Another day, another dollar from the draconian court. Anyone thinking this is like any other June with these unbelievable decisions, please reconsider, as they continue to redefine existing law and the immateriality of stare decisis. This is an out of control court legislating and executing from the bench, taking over all three branches of government 

Justice Elena Kagan, who was joined by Sonia Sotomayor and Stephen Breyer in her dissent, called the decision “frightening.” “Whatever else this Court may know about, it does not have a clue about how to address climate change,” Kagan wrote. “And let’s say the obvious: The stakes here are high. Yet the Court today prevents congressionally authorized agency action to curb power plants’ carbon dioxide emissions. The Court appoints itself—instead of Congress or the expert agency—the decisionmaker on climate policy. I cannot think of many things more frightening.”
    I think it’s to cost Brandon the elections. “Stay in Mexico” ruling drives indies to repubs and the EPA ruling drives indies to third party, green or to stay home. Dig baby dig and open borders. Yay!
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©

And it’s been bought and paid for.

Brilliantati©
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    So if they can take away the EPA's power can they take away my taxes too?  I'd be alright with that...
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    fucking monsters
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,422
    So if they can take away the EPA's power can they take away my taxes too?  I'd be alright with that...

no no no. YOUR taxes are used to pay for the rich fucks cuts.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:

no no no. YOUR taxes are used to pay for the rich fucks cuts.....
    How do you know he’s not a rich fuck?

Brilliantati©
    Democracy is almost finished here. Come next June, I'm sure SCOTUS will give the GOP full ability to gerrymander and rig elections in their state.