Options

SCOTUS (Supreme Court of the United States)

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,801

Supreme Court rules in favor of 94-year-old woman who got nothing when county took her condo
    By Mark Sherman
    25 May 2023

WASHINGTON (AP) — A unanimous Supreme Court on Thursday gave a 94-year-old Minneapolis woman a new chance to recoup some money after the county kept the entire $40,000 when it sold her condominium over a small unpaid tax bill.

The justices ruled that Hennepin County, Minnesota violated the constitutional rights of the woman, Geraldine Tyler, by taking her property without paying “just compensation.”

“The County had the power to sell Tyler’s home to recover the unpaid property taxes. But it could not use the toehold of the tax debt to confiscate more property than was due,” Chief Justice John Roberts wrote for the court.

Tyler, who now lives in an apartment building for older people, owed $2,300 in unpaid taxes, plus interest and penalties totalling $15,000, when the county took title to the one-bedroom apartment in 2015. The county said she did nothing to hold onto her one-time residence. The apartment sold the next year.

Minnesota is among roughly a dozen states and the District of Columbia that allow local jurisdictions to keep the excess money, according to the Pacific Legal Foundation, a not-for-profit public interest law firm focused on property rights that represented Tyler at the Supreme Court.

At least 8,950 homes were sold because of unpaid taxes and the former owners received little or nothing in those states between 2014 and 2021, according to Pacific Legal.

The other states are: Alabama, Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, Maine, Massachusetts, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, Oregon and South Dakota, the group said.

There has been no explanation about why Tyler stopped paying her property taxes when she moved from the condo, where she had lived since 1999. She moved for “health and safety” reasons, Pacific Legal said.

The court rejected the county's arguments that Tyler could have sold the property and kept whatever was left after paying off the mortgage and taxes, refinanced her mortgage to pay the tax bill or signed up for a tax payment plan.

Lower courts had sided with the county before the justices agreed to step in.

The case is Tyler v. Hennepin County, Minnesota, 22-166.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,117
    I take high and mighty Beax w a grain of salt.  He is well informed.

2065 though for Conservative control?  There are 3 Justices in or at their 70's now that are conservative.  They aren't living for another 40 years on the court.

So the 13 districts he brought up is a great point.  Nobody has mentioned that and I can get behind that actually.

Other things that were brought up is that this started in 2016.  It seems Trump being elected has got a whole lot of people still hell bent for leather about that.

So the 13 districts is the greatest marketing tool anyone could use to want to expand the courts and I would back that up.

So.  You changed my mind.  How about that?!?

I'm all for expanding the court, but I do not believe that gentleman's reasoning is sound. Sure polling says there's very low confidence in the court, but 45% of the country is going to vote strongly Republican no matter what. Consider there's another two or 3% of Independents that are going to also side with Republicans in almost all cases, we're talking about nearly 47% of the country that are going to vote Republican come hell or high water.

Also, I'm not sure what the 13 districts has to do with expanding. There is no direct correlation constitutionally between the appellate courts and the Supreme court AFAIK.

Bottom line, without term limits we need to do something to protect the Integrity of the court. Also having only nine justices, lack of expansion maximizes the potentially extreme influence one or two members may have, which is exactly what we are seeing right now
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    I take high and mighty Beax w a grain of salt.  He is well informed.

2065 though for Conservative control?  There are 3 Justices in or at their 70's now that are conservative.  They aren't living for another 40 years on the court.

So the 13 districts he brought up is a great point.  Nobody has mentioned that and I can get behind that actually.

Other things that were brought up is that this started in 2016.  It seems Trump being elected has got a whole lot of people still hell bent for leather about that.

So the 13 districts is the greatest marketing tool anyone could use to want to expand the courts and I would back that up.

So.  You changed my mind.  How about that?!?

I'm all for expanding the court, but I do not believe that gentleman's reasoning is sound. Sure polling says there's very low confidence in the court, but 45% of the country is going to vote strongly Republican no matter what. Consider there's another two or 3% of Independents that are going to also side with Republicans in almost all cases, we're talking about nearly 47% of the country that are going to vote Republican come hell or high water.

Also, I'm not sure what the 13 districts has to do with expanding. There is no direct correlation constitutionally between the appellate courts and the Supreme court AFAIK.

Bottom line, without term limits we need to do something to protect the Integrity of the court. Also having only nine justices, lack of expansion maximizes the potentially extreme influence one or two members may have, which is exactly what we are seeing right now

stop doing that. 47% OF THE COUNTRY. Guess what,  just over 50% that can vote , do vote. So the reality is , approx 25-30% of the country votes that way.

Fuckstick got 74 million votes? of 330 million citizens of this country that equates to 23%. Biden received 81 million? that equates to 25% of the country.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    we all know what they mean when they say "of the country". obviously "of the people who vote". chill out. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,117
    we all know what they mean when they say "of the country". obviously "of the people who vote". chill out. 

Thanks, I slipped on the wording. Only so many people are going to vote. Given that trump expanded the gop to include a bunch of “types” who normally don’t vote, not sure if expanding turn out is a good thing.
  • Options

Thanks, I slipped on the wording. Only so many people are going to vote. Given that trump expanded the gop to include a bunch of “types” who normally don’t vote, not sure if expanding turn out is a good thing.

and Biden had a record turnout , so.....

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    Thomas requested an extension on his 2022 disclosures. I imagine he has a lot of backtracking to do now that he was called out. Kind of like trying to fill out check book (not that anyone uses a check book anymore!) transactions a year later.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,162
    tbergs said:
    Thomas requested an extension on his 2022 disclosures. I imagine he has a lot of backtracking to do now that he was called out. Kind of like trying to fill out check book (not that anyone uses a check book anymore!) transactions a year later.
    fun fact: i still keep a paper checkbook. 

i know, boomer, yeah yeah, etc lol
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options

huh. does this then mean the same for NC?

• Options

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

Supreme Court turns away veterans who seek disability benefits over 1966 hydrogen bomb accident
    Today

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court on Tuesday rejected an appeal on behalf of some U.S. veterans who want disability benefits because they were exposed to radiation while responding to a Cold War-era hydrogen bomb accident in Spain.

The justices not did comment in turning away an appeal from Victor Skaar, an Air Force veteran in his mid-80s.

Skaar, of Nixa, Missouri, filed class-action claims seeking benefits for him and others who say they became ill from exposure to radiation during the recovery and cleanup of the undetonated bombs at the accident site in Palomares, a village in southern Spain, in 1966.

A federal appeals court rejected the class-action claims. The Supreme Court's action leaves that ruling in place.

The Justice Department, arguing against high-court review, noted that Congress last year enacted legislation that expands eligibility for benefits for many Palomares veterans. But the department also acknowledged that Skaar is not covered by the legislation.

Skaar's lawyers told the Supreme Court that he suffers from leukopenia, described as a condition that can be caused by exposure to radiation. Skaar also has had skin cancer, now in remission, the lawyers wrote in a court filing.

He was among 1,400 U.S. service members who were sent to Palomares to help clean up what has been called the worst radiation accident in U.S. history.

continues....

• Options

• Options

• Options
    edited June 2023
    ooops. wrong thread
    Post edited by mickeyrat on