Your Top Ten Songs, You Know The Lyrics, Sing and Play At Least Twice

g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
This thread is dedicated to those songs one immediately sing out loud, play at least twice. The song may also have some major significance to you as well.  Give your top ten, one from each if you can and give a brief note as to why it is to you. Here's mine....

#1. Red Sector A...RUSH--the song lyrics by Neil Peart about Geddy's mother a holocaust survivor. The song I first heard on the Grace Under Pressure tour my RUSH concert stood out at the time for no particular reason, I'm not Jewish. Maybe the imagery it portrayed, my greatest RUSH moment of 50 live shows, it's my most listened to song by the band and from my most favorite album to this day, a great song from my favorite all time rock band.

#2. Drowning Man....U2--of all the great songs this band has produced this one has always stood out to me. From one of my favorite album WAR, my first tour of many. A love song, hymn styled that sounds like it has no snare drumming by Larry but has electronic violin all through it. Simply a great unknown song by them that many have hardly heard or never had heard it b4.

#3. Freebird....Lynyrd Skynyrd--a song I've lived the lyrics. In that I wrote some words from the lyrics in a goodbye letter to a former girlfriend.  I remember telling her she's now a freebird to fly off to new lands and horizons. Besides it just one of the great rock songs ever.

#4. We Are Family....Sister Sledge--the song that actually got me thinking about starting this thread. A great sing along song that I sing with my family when I go home. I believe way back it was a song, theme song played to the Pittsburgh Pirates with Willie Stargell and company when they won a WS back in the 70's.

#5. Disposable Heroes....Metallica--
a anti war song, that was the first or second i ever heard from the band that had riffs that was out of of this world when I heard it first. At over 200 beats per minute to seems so hard to play but they pull it off with ease. Its my fav and my most listened too song by them coming from probably their best album.

#6. What I've Seen....Michael Franti & Spearhead--
a demo of the song was given to me of the song by my friend Micheal. That version is raw, time signiture is more upbeat as he tells the story of some what he saw in his visit to Iraq and Palestine. What he saw happening to the people living there through the war in their country.  The album version to me is horrible, too polished and slowed down to point of putting me to sleep, I can not listen to that version.

#7. Straight To Hell....The Clash...a song I came to like for no particular reason i got hooked on. Love The Clash, sang it with my friend Micheal Franti one time in London which was one unique episode.

#8. Harvest For The World/Voyage To Atlantis...Isley Brothers--
it was hard to choose between the two. The Isley Brothers was the very first concert I ever saw and Voyage just sent the Capital Centre in MD 1978 into a frenzy. Love that song and Harvest has words that today have such great meaning that I sing to EVERY TIME I play it twice.

#9. Just Breathe/Amongst The Waves...Pearl Jam--of all the great PJ songs these two I sing out the most. These from one of my favorite PJ albums the songs back to back i cant get enough of.

#10. Space Oddity....David Bowie...I only heard this song once live from DB my favorite solo rock artist. While singing it and i can't sing well i get the feeling I'm an astronaut heading out to space. I just feel like I'm Major Tom wondering if I'll ever get back home to earth.

Honorable Mentions...

Bennie And The Jets...Elton John....the first song that got me to love rock music especially live rock music.

Flying.....Living Colour....a love song, that happens during 9/11.

And many more.

✌️
*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
.....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    This will be fun.  Give me a few.  Interesting selections.
    1-QOTSA Regular John.  It can be a few off this album but I'll choose this for now.  The guitar riff is just too damn fun.

2-Sublime DJ's.  I love this song so much.  Makes me angry I never saw it live...

3-James Brown There was a Time.  "I bet, you never seen nothin yet, until you see me do, the James Brown, YAYYYYYYYY!!!!"  The whole ensemble is great in this song.  From front to back.

4-Misfits Return of the Fly.  I learned who Helene Delambre and Francois were as I knew who Vincent Price was already.  Catchy guitar and vocals are on point.

5-Metallica Orion.  This is an epic instrumental that has it all and is built up to me, in two parts.  The 2nd part is where the shredding begins.  RIP Cliff.

6-Silversun Pickups Lazy Eye.  Another one of those songs that is just great from front to back.  Even the drone guitar at the end.  Such a great little loop in there with the base.

7-The Doors 5 in 1.  A very drunk sounding Morrison with a very punkish/heavy song.  Always one of my favorites from these guys.

8-Sly and the Family Stone Thank you for letting me be myself.  The break drop on this with the wahwah is unbelievable.  So much that Janet Jackson sampled it for Rhythm Nation.  Just a super funky song.

9-Johnny Cash/Kris Kristopherson Long Black Veil.  This song with their harmonies and story telling is just great.  On other days it's a Boy named Sue but Veil takes it as I hear his daughter performing it and I like that version too and it reminds me of this one.

10-Killswitch Engage End of Heartache.  Powerhouse of a song where Howard just brings it.  The guitars are on full throttle.  Just an energetic song.

Honorable mention Rhymin n Stealin Beastie Boys.  When rock and rap met...

AIC Nutshell.  Has to be the unplugged version though.

This is America Childish Gambino.  One of the most powerful songs I've heard in years.
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    1-QOTSA Regular John.  It can be a few off this album but I'll choose this for now.  The guitar riff is just too damn fun.

2-Sublime DJ's.  I love this song so much.  Makes me angry I never saw it live...

3-James Brown There was a Time.  "I bet, you never seen nothin yet, until you see me do, the James Brown, YAYYYYYYYY!!!!"  The whole ensemble is great in this song.  From front to back.

4-Misfits Return of the Fly.  I learned who Helene Delambre and Francois were as I knew who Vincent Price was already.  Catchy guitar and vocals are on point.

5-Metallica Orion.  This is an epic instrumental that has it all and is built up to me, in two parts.  The 2nd part is where the shredding begins.  RIP Cliff.

6-Silversun Pickups Lazy Eye.  Another one of those songs that is just great from front to back.  Even the drone guitar at the end.  Such a great little loop in there with the base.

7-The Doors 5 in 1.  A very drunk sounding Morrison with a very punkish/heavy song.  Always one of my favorites from these guys.

8-Sly and the Family Stone Thank you for letting me be myself.  The break drop on this with the wahwah is unbelievable.  So much that Janet Jackson sampled it for Rhythm Nation.  Just a super funky song.

9-Johnny Cash/Kris Kristopherson Long Black Veil.  This song with their harmonies and story telling is just great.  On other days it's a Boy named Sue but Veil takes it as I hear his daughter performing it and I like that version too and it reminds me of this one.

10-Killswitch Engage End of Heartache.  Powerhouse of a song where Howard just brings it.  The guitars are on full throttle.  Just an energetic song.

This is America Childish Gambino.  One of the most powerful songs I've heard in years.
    I see you have James Brown and Sly Stone on your list very nice. Back when I was a youngster they were part of a festival to be held at Harvard Stadium in MA, it was to be my first concert. However, it never happened due to a riot over some protesting I was told. I was so disappointed they were huge at time which was either '73 or '74. That song by JB There Was A Time is one of my favorites by him.

Also you have Orion by Metallica an instrumental but even though they are no lyrics I do find myself making sounds to the riffs. I know I certainly do the same to La Villa Strangiato by RUSH or just about any songs by Joe Satriani. 

✌️
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p said:

I see you have James Brown and Sly Stone on your list very nice. Back when I was a youngster they were part of a festival to be held at Harvard Stadium in MA, it was to be my first concert. However, it never happened due to a riot over some protesting I was told. I was so disappointed they were huge at time which was either '73 or '74. That song by JB There Was A Time is one of my favorites by him.

Also you have Orion by Metallica an instrumental but even though they are no lyrics I do find myself making sounds to the riffs. I know I certainly do the same to La Villa Strangiato by RUSH or just about any songs by Joe Satriani. 

✌️
    Thanks!

I noticed the We Are Family song.  I remember being a wee lad and that being very popular.  Some of the others are very interesting choices. I am interested to hear that Franti demo.  Did I read right that you are pals w him?
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    g under p said:

✌️
    Thanks!

I noticed the We Are Family song.  I remember being a wee lad and that being very popular.  Some of the others are very interesting choices. I am interested to hear that Franti demo.  Did I read right that you are pals w him?
    Yeah we are friends, when he tours down here in South Florida my two best friends and i take care of him and the band with food wine or whatever earthly pleasures when they text us. We have toured with them up and down the east coast and in Europe. This all started back in '03-'04. However, things have changed in the past years and I find myself along with my friends spending MORE  time with band members than Michael. We hold parties more so for the band cause we knew once he got married things would change and for the most part they certainly have. 

It's still cool to hangout with them because we get to meet up with other musicians such Ben Harper, Sly and Robbie etc. As for the demo he gave us the entire Yell Fire album and I mainly listen that rather than the album that was released. Great great album (#2 favorite with Stay Human still #1) I just came back from store and of course I was singing "What I've Seen" and if you look up the lyrics you can see the story he tells of the people of Iraq. If I had known of the the trip to Iraq back in 2004 I would have gone with them, I sent money instead.

✌️

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    This is a list that would have been different a year ago and will be different a year from now, but a fun idea.  AS of today:
    1. The Dream Syndicate, Glide.  I love the live version on KXEP!  This song inspires me to loosen up in troubled times.
    2. The Lemonheads, It's a Shame About Ray.   "I've never been too good with names..."   Sadly, I can relate!  But I can remember most of the lyrics here.
    3. J Mascis, Everything She Said.  Best ever music video and I just love this song.
    4.  Paul Westerberg, Boring Enormous.  What a sweet/sad song.  I love playing this one on my guitar (wish I  could sing it better though).
    5. The Replacements, "Left of the Dial".  Also a favorite on to play and I can hit the notes pretty well singing it.
    6. Neil Young, Powderfinger.  I used to play and sing this one for my nephews.  It often put them to sleep.  Not sure is that's good or bad, haha!  Still love this song.
    7.  Jimi Hendrix, Manic Depression.  Always appreciated Jimi giving a name to my moods.
    8.  Lou Reed:  Straw Man.  A great song for letting out frustration with the world.  Yeah, I'm the crazy guy belting that one out best I can while driving around.
    9. R.E.M.  Letter Never Sent.  One of my favorite R.E.M. songs.  Beautiful!
    10. Steve Wynn and the Miracle 3, Colored Lights or Ribbons and Chains.   A bit of a cheat sneaking in an extra here, but I really can't decide.  Both are such great songs off the Northern Aggression LP!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    This is a list that would have been different a year ago and will be different a year from now, but a fun idea.  AS of today:
    1. The Dream Syndicate, Glide.  I love the live version on KXEP!  This song inspires me to loosen up in troubled times.
    2. The Lemonheads, It's a Shame About Ray.   "I've never been too good with names..."   Sadly, I can relate!  But I can remember most of the lyrics here.
    3. J Mascis, Everything She Said.  Best ever music video and I just love this song.
    4.  Paul Westerberg, Boring Enormous.  What a sweet/sad song.  I love playing this one on my guitar (wish I  could sing it better though).
    5. The Replacements, "Left of the Dial".  Also a favorite on to play and I can hit the notes pretty well singing it.
    6. Neil Young, Powderfinger.  I used to play and sing this one for my nephews.  It often put them to sleep.  Not sure is that's good or bad, haha!  Still love this song.
    7.  Jimi Hendrix, Manic Depression.  Always appreciated Jimi giving a name to my moods.
    8.  Lou Reed:  Straw Man.  A great song for letting out frustration with the world.  Yeah, I'm the crazy guy belting that one out best I can while driving around.
    10. Steve Wynn and the Miracle 3, Colored Lights or Ribbons and Chains.   A bit of a cheat sneaking in an extra here, but I really can't decide.  Both are such great songs off the Northern Aggression LP!

You love The Lemonheads more than anyone I have known!

I'm surprised that you didn't put down a Joy Division song.
  • CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,034
    edited June 2022
    1. Built to Spill: Carry the Zero. Visited the wife in Ann Arbor when she was doing a grad school thing. Hit up the local record store and came away with a stack of used CDs. I heard BTS was a band to hear and I lucked into picking Keep It Like a Secret. Love the guitar solos in this one. Could be my favorite song ever.

2. Drive-By Truckers: Grand Canyon. One of my favorite bands besides PJ and BTS. This song kills me every time. Imagery reminds me of a favorite trip with my wife to Arizona and the canyon. As I get older, song takes on the intended meaning. It’s a sad one, but that repeating riff and “the rocks gods were made from” keeps me playing it. Live version just as good.

3. R.E.M.: Electrolite. Piano and Stipe’s vocals and lyrics are just amazing. I could pick a million other of their tracks, but I’m real partial to this one.

4. Neil Young and Crazy Horse: Country Home. I don’t have a country home, but have a family spot at the beach in Florida we love. Love going there to forget work and responsibilities.

5. The Temptations: Ball of Confusion. First heard this on an ad for The Wire back in the day. Asked my record store guy and he tracked it down. Had no idea it was these guys. Powerful lyrics and music.

6. Pearl Jam: Inside Job. My all time favorite PJ track (great job Mike!). Remember thinking it was going to be a political track about Cheney’s involvement with Blackwater and the war. This is infinitely better. As a teacher, sometimes things are tough, how you choose to feel is how you are. Focus on the positive!

7. Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals: I Shall Not Walk Alone (live reggae version). There’s a faster, anthemic almost reggae version of this track. I didn’t think the Blind Boys version could be topped, but a friend passed the bootleg to me back in the day. It’s stellar.

8. Smashing Pumpkins: Starla. Peak Pumpkins epic jam. Just keeps going and don’t want it to stop.

9. Dinosaur Jr.: Start Choppin’. Love the guitar work and J’s falsetto vocals hook. Helped me fall in love with the band.

10. Built to Spill: Goin’ Against Your Mind. Fastest 9 minutes ever. This song is absolutely perfect. Driving drums and the intertwined guitars. Driving and fast into spacey and then back to a strong finish. Once it’s over, ready to start it again.
    Post edited by CarryTheZero on
    1. Built to Spill: Carry the Zero. Visited the wife in Ann Arbor when she was doing a grad school thing. Hit up the local record store and came away with a stack of used CDs. I heard BTS was a band to hear and I lucked into picking Keep It Like a Secret. Love the guitar solos in this one. Could be my favorite song ever.

2. Drive-By Truckers: Grand Canyon. One of my favorite bands besides PJ and BTS. This song kills me every time. Imagery reminds me of a favorite trip with my wife to Arizona and the canyon. As I get older, song takes on the intended meaning. It’s a sad one, but that repeating riff and “the rocks gods were made from” keeps me playing it. Live version just as good.

3. R.E.M.: Electrolite. Piano and Stipe’s vocals and lyrics are just amazing. I could pick a million other of their tracks, but I’m real partial to this one.

4. Neil Young and Crazy Horse: Country Home. I don’t have a country home, but have a family spot at the beach in Florida we love. Love going there to forget work and responsibilities.

5. The Temptations: World of Confusion. First heard this on an ad for The Wire back in the day. Asked my record store guy and he tracked it down. Had no idea it was these guys. Powerful lyrics and music.

6. Pearl Jam: Inside Job. My all time favorite PJ track (great job Mike!). Remember thinking it was going to be a political track about Cheney’s involvement with Blackwater and the war. This is infinitely better. As a teacher, sometimes things are tough, how you choose to feel is how you are. Focus on the positive!

7. Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals: I Shall Not Walk Alone (live reggae version). There’s a faster, anthemic almost reggae version of this track. I didn’t think the Blind Boys version could be topped, but a friend passed the bootleg to me back in the day. It’s stellar.

8. Smashing Pumpkins: Starla. Peak Pumpkins epic jam. Just keeps going and don’t want it to stop.

9. Dinosaur Jr.: Start Choppin’. Love the guitar work and J’s falsetto vocals hook. Helped me fall in love with the band.

10. Built to Spill: Goin’ Against Your Mind. Fastest 9 minutes ever. This song is absolutely perfect. Driving drums and the intertwined guitars. Driving and fast into spacey and then back to a strong finish. Once it’s over, ready to start it again.
    Goin against your mind is the song that got me interested that band.  Such a great song.
    Interesting list.
    brianlux said:

You love The Lemonheads more than anyone I have known!

I'm surprised that you didn't put down a Joy Division song.

Tempting, but Joy Division is like a strong drug you don't want to dabble with too  often.

I could have also added The Who, "Any Way, Any How, Any Where" because it has been playing in my head since I got up 4 hours ago!

I like your choices, by the way.  Quite the diverse list.  Very cool!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

5. The Temptations: World of Confusion. First heard this on an ad for The Wire back in the day. Asked my record store guy and he tracked it down. Had no idea it was these guys. Powerful lyrics and music.

Goin against your mind is the song that got me interested that band.  Such a great song.
    Interesting list.
    Thanks, yeah BTS is such a great band. Love those guitars.

Totally agree with you about Lazy Eye and Nutshell. Great songs!
    We should make CD mixed tapes and send them to each other, lol.  My digital game is pretty weak though so that isn't much of an option...
    😂
    I remember making actual mix tapes!
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    In no particular order:

1) U2, "Bad" -- because no other rock song makes the hair on the back of my neck stand on end.

2) Arcade Fire, "Everything Now" (cue the haters) -- I've been known to listen to this on repeat for half an hour at a time while running; might be replaced by "Unconditional I," which I'm listening to multiple times/day right now.

3) World Party, "Way Down Now" -- like so many of the songs on my list, there's just something about it that lifts me up and keeps me going, still, after all these years.

4) Everclear, "Santa Monica" -- ditto. Few things lift my mood like this song does. ::shrugs::

5) David Bowie, "Beauty and the Beast" -- my favorite Bowie song by a country mile; I listened to a ton of Bowie as a child (pre-teen) -- which explains a lot about me, really.

6) The Church, "Hotel Womb" -- hmm. a lot of these songs have a bittersweet/ melancholy tinge. Depression and trying to escape it.

7) PJ, "Rearviewmirror" -- when a burst of anger is needed to spur the escape from depression

8) Lloyd Cole, "I'm Gone" -- just a miniature masterpiece

9) The Style Council, "Strength of Your Nature" -- positive, up-tempo, and the lyrics are easy to learn, LOL

10) Last but definitely not least: Richard Thompson, "1952 Vincent Black Lightning" -- possibly the greatest song ever written. I've seen it live several times -- the first time, I was in the second row for one of his shows, and it really was a transcendent, "bucket list" moment.

Since classical music gets short shrift here, my desert island list is short but essential:

1) Beethoven, Symphony No. 7 -- the dance symphony. I may or may not have strained my calf leaping joyously down a hill mid-run while listening to this. Few works of art are as full of life as this symphony is.

2) Sibelius Violin Concerto -- It doesn't have any words, but I think I have memorized all the notes. It's simply awesome.

3) Dvorak, Czech Suite -- again, no words, but the music paints a beautiful picture. It's gorgeous.

In a class by itself:

Beethoven, Symphony No. 9 --- what can be said about the greatest music ever written? Must be experienced live for full effect, which is overwhelming. It is a stunning work of art.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    In no particular order:

1) U2, "Bad" -- because no other rock song makes the hair on the back of my neck stand on end.

2) Arcade Fire, "Everything Now" (cue the haters) -- I've been known to listen to this on repeat for half an hour at a time while running; might be replaced by "Unconditional I," which I'm listening to multiple times/day right now.

3) World Party, "Way Down Now" -- like so many of the songs on my list, there's just something about it that lifts me up and keeps me going, still, after all these years.

4) Everclear, "Santa Monica" -- ditto. Few things lift my mood like this song does. ::shrugs::

5) David Bowie, "Beauty and the Beast" -- my favorite Bowie song by a country mile; I listened to a ton of Bowie as a child (pre-teen) -- which explains a lot about me, really.

6) The Church, "Hotel Womb" -- hmm. a lot of these songs have a bittersweet/ melancholy tinge. Depression and trying to escape it.

7) PJ, "Rearviewmirror" -- when a burst of anger is needed to spur the escape from depression

8) Lloyd Cole, "I'm Gone" -- just a miniature masterpiece

9) The Style Council, "Strength of Your Nature" -- positive, up-tempo, and the lyrics are easy to learn, LOL

10) Last but definitely not least: Richard Thompson, "1952 Vincent Black Lightning" -- possibly the greatest song ever written. I've seen it live several times -- the first time, I was in the second row for one of his shows, and it really was a transcendent, "bucket list" moment.

Since classical music gets short shrift here, my desert island list is short but essential:

1) Beethoven, Symphony No. 7 -- the dance symphony. I may or may not have strained my calf leaping joyously down a hill mid-run while listening to this. Few works of art are as full of life as this symphony is.

2) Sibelius Violin Concerto -- It doesn't have any words, but I think I have memorized all the notes. It's simply awesome.

3) Dvorak, Czech Suite -- again, no words, but the music paints a beautiful picture. It's gorgeous.

In a class by itself:

Beethoven, Symphony No. 9 --- what can be said about the greatest music ever written? Must be experienced live for full effect, which is overwhelming. It is a stunning work of art.
    That Everclear song is magical!

As for classical I am into whatever Yo-yo Ma does.  His cello paying is amazing and am excited w Bachs Fuge and prelude to Fuge if I ever hear it.  No lyrics in those but they get the blood flowing.
    I had to look up Vincent Black Lightning as I thought it was perhaps a Vincent Black Shadow motorcycle that Hunter S Thompson was so giddy about and it was.  It was.  A quicker version!

So I had to listen to the song.  That is some fine finger picking there!  Thanks for piquing my interest and showing me a new song.
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    I had to look up Vincent Black Lightning as I thought it was perhaps a Vincent Black Shadow motorcycle that Hunter S Thompson was so giddy about and it was.  It was.  A quicker version!

So I had to listen to the song.  That is some fine finger picking there!  Thanks for piquing my interest and showing me a new song.

This video is one of the best things on the internet IMO:

And yes it's a song about "a boy, a girl, and a motorcycle." I'm on a mission to make sure everyone hears it.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    I watched a Live in concert version and yes, it is worth a watch.

Good tune.  TY for introducing it to me.
    We should make CD mixed tapes and send them to each other, lol.  My digital game is pretty weak though so that isn't much of an option...

"CD mixed tapes"
    Clever oxymoron there, bud!  :lol:

I remember making actual mix tapes!

Yes!  Loved making those.  I still have a bunch.  About 1/2 of these are mix tapes and I have another box full somewhere"
    IMG

Wow! Those are great tapes! Maybe tape will be the new vinyl. I saw Dinosaur Jr. releasing reissues of old albums on tape recently.

It was all about timing with those mix tapes. Add up the track timing, get everything ordered, stack up your CDs in the right order (unless you are old school and had to wait by the stereo listening to the radio, hoping your song came on), making sure it didn’t go past the 30 or 45 minute count before changing sides.

It was a whole process!
    Wow! Those are great tapes! Maybe tape will be the new vinyl. I saw Dinosaur Jr. releasing reissues of old albums on tape recently.

It was all about timing with those mix tapes. Add up the track timing, get everything ordered, stack up your CDs in the right order (unless you are old school and had to wait by the stereo listening to the radio, hoping your song came on), making sure it didn’t go past the 30 or 45 minute count before changing sides.

It was a whole process!
    Thanks!  :smile:
    My old school style of making mix tapes was transferring songs off vinyl LPs to cassette tape.  Timing, setting volume so each song as close that way, and quickly moving from one machine to the other other was like a dance.  When the taping was done, I illustrated the outfacing edge of the tape sleeve or in a couple of cases (like with the U2 and one of the Neil Young) printed off the name for the face and a photo for the top of the sleeve. 
    I also used to do crazy stuff like when I taped the guitar intro to Lou Reed's song "Women" over and over and over until it filled enough tape to use it to help me go to sleep. 
    Or I would tape every example I could find of a name off a record (just the part where the name was spoken or sung), then play that tape into my phone to various friends answering machines when they were not home, and then speak into the phone and say, "Are you home?" and then hang up. Fortunately, that only pissed off one friend. :lol:

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    Great idea for a thread - so hard to narrow it down to 10 songs though!

Jimi Hendrix - The Wind Cries Mary

My all-time favourite Jimi song. The lyrics "The traffic lights, they turn blue tomorrow, and shine their emptiness down on my bed" struck me as a teenager and still stop me in my tracks to this day, and the guitar playing is beautiful. 

Mark Lanegan - When Your Number Isn't Up
    So many Lanegan songs to chose from. It has to be the live acoustic version from the Live At Leeds bootleg. Haunting.
    It was a very close call between this and The Circus Is Leaving Town by Mark and Isobel Campbell.

Neil Young - Ambulance Blues
    Realistically I could have picked 10 Neil songs, and 10 different ones tomorrow. I've always felt that Old Man is an absolutely perfect song, but Ambulance Blues is a real gem that demands your full attention.

Frightened Rabbit - Head Rolls Off / My Backwards Walk

The whole The Midnight Organ Fight album is just fucking brilliant. I've had to cheat here and pick 2 songs, but they are perfect together on the album and it's impossible for me to separate them.

R.E.M. - So Fast, So Numb

Another close call, this could easily have been Driver 8, Country Feedback, Losing My Religion, the list goes on. My favourite song from probably my favourite R.E.M. record.
    "This is now, this is here, this is me, this is what I wanted you to see. That was then, that was that, that is gone, that is past"

Blind Melon - Walk
    Starting with "Find myself singing the same songs everyday. Ones that make me feel good when things behind the smiles ain't ok" and finishing with "Gonna take a breath and try again..." This song has saved me from some dark places on more than one occasion.

Tom McRae - The Alphabet of Hurricanes
    I just get lost in this one every time I hear it.

PJ Harvey - You Said Something
    Everything about this song is wonderful. The lyrics, the guitars, just the overall feel of the song.

Afghan Whigs - Honky’s Ladder
    Gets me fired up every time. An absolute explosion of a song.

dEUS - Instant Street
    I love how the outro cacophony just builds and builds. I love the whole of The Ideal Crash record, it's the perfect blend of their experimental early songs and a more straightforward sound. The world needs more dEUS!

A few honourable mentions (I knew I couldn't pin it down to just 10!):

PJ - Nothing As It Seems
    Turin Brakes - The Door
    Iron & Wine - The Trapeze Swinger
    Carter USM - Lean On Me I Won’t Fall Over
    Scott Matthews - Passing Stranger
    Shawn Smith - All The Heartache A Man Can Stand
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    Great idea for a thread - so hard to narrow it down to 10 songs though!

My all-time favourite Jimi song. The lyrics "The traffic lights, they turn blue tomorrow, and shine their emptiness down on my bed" struck me as a teenager and still stop me in my tracks to this day, and the guitar playing is beautiful. 

So many Lanegan songs to chose from. It has to be the live acoustic version from the Live At Leeds bootleg. Haunting.
    It was a very close call between this and The Circus Is Leaving Town by Mark and Isobel Campbell.

Realistically I could have picked 10 Neil songs, and 10 different ones tomorrow. I've always felt that Old Man is an absolutely perfect song, but Ambulance Blues is a real gem that demands your full attention.

The whole The Midnight Organ Fight album is just fucking brilliant. I've had to cheat here and pick 2 songs, but they are perfect together on the album and it's impossible for me to separate them.

Another close call, this could easily have been Driver 8, Country Feedback, Losing My Religion, the list goes on. My favourite song from probably my favourite R.E.M. record.
    "This is now, this is here, this is me, this is what I wanted you to see. That was then, that was that, that is gone, that is past"

Blind Melon - Walk
    Starting with "Find myself singing the same songs everyday. Ones that make me feel good when things behind the smiles ain't ok" and finishing with "Gonna take a breath and try again..." This song has saved me from some dark places on more than one occasion.

Everything about this song is wonderful. The lyrics, the guitars, just the overall feel of the song.

dEUS - Instant Street
    I love how the outro cacophony just builds and builds. I love the whole of The Ideal Crash record, it's the perfect blend of their experimental early songs and a more straightforward sound. The world needs more dEUS!

PJ - Nothing As It Seems
    Turin Brakes - The Door

Interesting and diverse choice, nice! That Blind Melon song is great.  And what an interesting choice for a Neil song.  I was just giving On the Beach a spin the other day.  I'm always fascinated by move it took so many years for that LP to gain the recognition it truly deserves.

goldrush said:
    Great idea for a thread - so hard to imagine narrow it down to 10 songs though!

Blind Melon - Walk

dEUS - Instant Street

PJ - Nothing As It Seems
    Turin Brakes - The Door
    Now, I’m rethinking my R.E.M. choice! The live version of Country Feedback from the second greatest hits collection is so great. Stipe has said that’s his favorite song in the catalog I think. YouTube has a live cover from Neil Young if I’m not mistaken.
    Love to see a Polly Jean Harvey song on here.  I’m a huge fan of Sheela na gig and Dress.
    edited June 2022
    goldrush said:
    Great idea for a thread - so hard to imagine narrow it down to 10 songs though!

Blind Melon - Walk

dEUS - Instant Street

PJ - Nothing As It Seems
    Turin Brakes - The Door
    Now, I’m rethinking my R.E.M. choice! The live version of Country Feedback from the second greatest hits collection is so great. Stipe has said that’s his favorite song in the catalog I think. YouTube has a live cover from Neil Young if I’m not mistaken.
    Country Feedback live at The Bridge School is my absolute favourite version. Neil plays some truly beautiful solos, there’s a great shot of Michael Stipe just sitting and watching in awe. I have no idea how many times I've watched this over the years!

https://youtu.be/H47es-RsJKw

Another great version with BJ Cole on lap steel

https://youtu.be/LAhkeJz1ZhY
    Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)
    Love to see a Polly Jean Harvey song on here.  I’m a huge fan of Sheela na gig and Dress.
    I love Sheela Na Gig! I almost chose This Is Love purely for the guitar sound, it’s just filthy (in the best way!)

I saw Orion on your list. That’s one of my favourite Metallica songs, but I think I love Rodrigo y Gabriela’s cover of it just as much, maybe even more. It’s such a powerful tune, even on acoustic guitars.

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    I love Sheela Na Gig! I almost chose This Is Love purely for the guitar sound, it’s just filthy (in the best way!)

I saw Orion on your list. That’s one of my favourite Metallica songs, but I think I love Rodrigo y Gabriela’s cover of it just as much, maybe even more. It’s such a powerful tune, even on acoustic guitars.
    Love the Rodrigo n Gabriela version too!  It is very different in any version that the songs they play and it should be heard but the OG Orion will always be my fav.

Any PJ Harvey song is a good PJ Harvey song.