Buffalo

124»

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    mickeyrat said:
    Its just mental illness. Was there something else in the bill repubs didn't like? From Letter From an American.

The House also voted today on the Domestic Terrorism Prevention Act of 2022, which steps up the sharing of information about domestic terrorism among government departments and creates an interagency task force to analyze and combat white supremacist and neo-Nazi infiltration of the uniformed services and federal law enforcement agencies. The House passed the bill by a vote of 222 to 203. All the no votes came from Republicans; all the Democrats voted in favor. It now goes on to the Senate.

Would love, love, love to hear comments on why 203 people voted NO.

If you come across any please post em here.  I'll get my popcorn ready as I don't know what else was in there that they didn't like? 

So I read the bill.  The only thing I can see that they might not be happy with is the targeting of police officers?  Plus if you get slapped with and found guilty on one of these charges it will follow you around for the rest of your life like a sex crime.  In theory I like it but that is all I can see as to why they voted down for it.  That or they just don't want another task force paid for to poke around?

I don't know.  Let them answer because I am curious.
    You probably have to start with who wrote the bill and who it is aimed at to understand why republicans would vote against it.
    So if say Pelosi or AOC wrote it it's an automatic NO vote?
    Any Democrat 
    Anyone who supports President Joe Biden
    Anyone who voted for impeachment 
    Etc etc
    Its just mental illness. Was there something else in the bill repubs didn't like? From Letter From an American.

The House also voted today on the Domestic Terrorism Prevention Act of 2022, which steps up the sharing of information about domestic terrorism among government departments and creates an interagency task force to analyze and combat white supremacist and neo-Nazi infiltration of the uniformed services and federal law enforcement agencies. The House passed the bill by a vote of 222 to 203. All the no votes came from Republicans; all the Democrats voted in favor. It now goes on to the Senate.

Would love, love, love to hear comments on why 203 people voted NO.

If you come across any please post em here.  I'll get my popcorn ready as I don't know what else was in there that they didn't like? 

So I read the bill.  The only thing I can see that they might not be happy with is the targeting of police officers?  Plus if you get slapped with and found guilty on one of these charges it will follow you around for the rest of your life like a sex crime.  In theory I like it but that is all I can see as to why they voted down for it.  That or they just don't want another task force paid for to poke around?

I don't know.  Let them answer because I am curious.
    You probably have to start with who wrote the bill and who it is aimed at to understand why republicans would vote against it.
    So if say Pelosi or AOC wrote it it's an automatic NO vote?
    Any Democrat 
    Anyone who supports President Joe Biden
    Anyone who voted for impeachment 
    Etc etc
    Doesn’t matter. If any communist, Marxist, liberal democrat sponsors or supports it, repubs are against it. Particularly from a failed state or city such as shitcago.

https://www.congress.gov/member/bradley-schneider/S001190
    Party first country second still.

I miss bipartisanship.  I really do...

Hey, .56% of Gop house members voted FOR that bill.
    That decimal point gets lost, lol!
  • lindamarie73lindamarie73 Posts: 339
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    Is there actually an argument going on here about whether of not this Buffalo shooter is responsible for his actions?  He knew what he was doing, he planned the who thing out, he posted rants that were obviously racist.  Jimminy Crickets, are we arguing just to be arguing?  Talk about crazy.
    Of course he isn't responsible, it's the mental illness caused by the democrat elitist far left marxist agenda that pushed him to racism and violence.  I mean how is this even up for debate?
    Wait a minute, we have been told for years now that it’s not the person that should be held accountable, but the nasty racist GUN who needs to answer for this heinous crime.  
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Groan.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    brianlux said:
    Groan.
    Well said.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    Is there actually an argument going on here about whether of not this Buffalo shooter is responsible for his actions?  He knew what he was doing, he planned the who thing out, he posted rants that were obviously racist.  Jimminy Crickets, are we arguing just to be arguing?  Talk about crazy.
    Of course he isn't responsible, it's the mental illness caused by the democrat elitist far left marxist agenda that pushed him to racism and violence.  I mean how is this even up for debate?
    Wait a minute, we have been told for years now that it’s not the person that should be held accountable, but the nasty racist GUN who needs to answer for this heinous crime.  
    You're right guns don't kill people. 

In the case its the racist piece piece of shit that believes the white supremacist conspiracy theories about being replaced that pulled the trigger of an assault rifle that killed all those innocent black people. 
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    guns don't kill people. but the damn gun helps. you can't kill people with a finger gun and running up to them yelling "bang bang!!".
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Why do some of you continue to feed this troll? So much for lessons learned. 
  • RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,009
    edited May 2022
    hedonist said:
    Why do some of you continue to feed this troll? So much for lessons learned. 
    Exactly what crosses my mind every single time. 
    Yawn.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Ooh ooh, my turn!

Let’s see…

Frown. 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    edited May 2022
    hedonist said:
    Ooh ooh, my turn!

Let’s see…

Frown. 
    pretty sure that was directed elsewhere. like the subject of your comment? along the lines of this one?

brianlux said:
    Groan.

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    hedonist said:
    Ooh ooh, my turn!

Let’s see…

Frown. 
    pretty sure that was directed elsewhere. like the subject of your comment? along the lines of this one?

brianlux said:
    Groan.

Elsewhere for sure M.  My one word comments were directed at what I see as an absurdly irrational perspectives.  I suppose one could make the case that I'm wasting my time bothering to post a single word in response to who sometimes comes across as a... well, I won't say "troll", but that how one H described her... but said "troll" has also once mentioned that I'm thee only person here that has given her any kind of break, but I think a little groan or a yawn is actually practicing good restraint.  I know I've done worse.

So annnnyway.... moving along...

The whole Buffalo, NY business really boils down to hate.  In this case, hate in the form of racism.  And how terrible it is to see that on the rise here in America.
    Another form of hate I witnessed today was on the walking trail.  There was a group of 6 or 8 kids (all boys), ranging from probably 6 to 10 years old, some on foot, some on scooters.  One of the kids- this big kid who had that whole bully vibe about him- stopped his scooter next to my wife and I and pointed to one of the other kids and said accusingly, "He's gay", like it was some kind of disease. 
    I said, "Oh yeah?  That's cool.  I don't have problem with that.  There's nothing wrong with being gay." 
    The look on the accused boys face was so cool.  He looked at me with this stunned look that said, "Oh my God, that's so cool, I can't believe you stood up for me!" 
    And then the bully said, "But he's gay." 
    I looked back over my shoulder and told him, "SO? There is nothing wrong with that.  Get over it!"
    As we kept on walking I could hear the bully mumble, "That guy's weird", but the confidence in his voice was all but gone.    And there was no response from the other kids. 
    I hope something sunk in, if not for the bully, at least for the other kids standing around.  And I hope that other boy, who probably is gay, will remember that someone stood up for him and that he is worthy.

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Why do these always have to have only 1 issue to go solve vs lots of contributing factors?

1) Guns are too easy to obtain, ammo is too easy to obtain 
    2) White supremacy is an issue and is more active and visible in the last 6 years
    3) Mental health is an issue, but also sometimes just a scapegoat to deflect
    4) Hate is being spread and encouraged via the internet, TV, radio, etc.  While free speech is extremely important, causing a riot...or the equivalency of a riot through the acts of many at different times is not ok and people should be held accountable.  

We have created an environment of complete and utter hate.  No room for disagreements and discussion.  Hate the other and find people online that agree with you to back up your hate.  Now, when the hate is there, there is going to be a breaking point.  And since guns are so easy to get....the outcome of that breaking point is often heartbreaking.

hippiemom = goodness
    Why do these always have to have only 1 issue to go solve vs lots of contributing factors?

1) Guns are too easy to obtain, ammo is too easy to obtain 
    2) White supremacy is an issue and is more active and visible in the last 6 years
    3) Mental health is an issue, but also sometimes just a scapegoat to deflect
    4) Hate is being spread and encouraged via the internet, TV, radio, etc.  While free speech is extremely important, causing a riot...or the equivalency of a riot through the acts of many at different times is not ok and people should be held accountable.  

We have created an environment of complete and utter hate.  No room for disagreements and discussion.  Hate the other and find people online that agree with you to back up your hate.  Now, when the hate is there, there is going to be a breaking point.  And since guns are so easy to get....the outcome of that breaking point is often heartbreaking.

All very good points- especially about it being a complex series of issues.
    As to where hate starts and what promotes it, I would add that in many cases that hatred begins at home.  Did the Buffalo shooter learn his hatred of people of color from his parents and family?  Probably.  Did the kid I talked to briefly yesterday learn to hate gay people from his parent or family?  Probably.
    And if so, I'm thinking learning tolerance, acceptance, and love starts in the same place- at home.

What I personally struggle with is separating my hateful feelings about racism and homophobia from hating the people that are racist and homophobic.  I have a really, really hard time doing that.  Again, with that incident yesterday, I struggle with being angry with the upbringing that led to that bully kid hating gays, and not feel hatred toward the kid.  I'd like to think I can "hate the sin, not the sinner".  Can I, or am I just fooling myself?  I feel like the proliferation of hatred is doing more to fuel my anger and sense of hopelessness.  I struggle to suppress my inner misanthrope.  I know it's better to use the energy of anger toward something constructive rather than to get caught up in the hate.  That's damn hard business.

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    hedonist said:
    Ooh ooh, my turn!

Let’s see…

Frown. 

brianlux said:
    Groan.

Elsewhere for sure M.  My one word comments were directed at what I see as an absurdly irrational perspectives.  I suppose one could make the case that I'm wasting my time bothering to post a single word in response to who sometimes comes across as a... well, I won't say "troll", but that how one H described her... but said "troll" has also once mentioned that I'm thee only person here that has given her any kind of break, but I think a little groan or a yawn is actually practicing good restraint.  I know I've done worse.

The whole Buffalo, NY business really boils down to hate.  In this case, hate in the form of racism.  And how terrible it is to see that on the rise here in America.
    Another form of hate I witnessed today was on the walking trail.  There was a group of 6 or 8 kids (all boys), ranging from probably 6 to 10 years old, some on foot, some on scooters.  One of the kids- this big kid who had that whole bully vibe about him- stopped his scooter next to my wife and I and pointed to one of the other kids and said accusingly, "He's gay", like it was some kind of disease. 
    I said, "Oh yeah?  That's cool.  I don't have problem with that.  There's nothing wrong with being gay." 
    The look on the accused boys face was so cool.  He looked at me with this stunned look that said, "Oh my God, that's so cool, I can't believe you stood up for me!" 
    I looked back over my shoulder and told him, "SO? There is nothing wrong with that.  Get over it!"
    As we kept on walking I could hear the bully mumble, "That guy's weird", but the confidence in his voice was all but gone.    And there was no response from the other kids. 
    I hope something sunk in, if not for the bully, at least for the other kids standing around.  And I hope that other boy, who probably is gay, will remember that someone stood up for him and that he is worthy.

Yes, yes and fucking yes on this!  Nice Brian.  This perked me up after reading!!!
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    hedonist said:
    Ooh ooh, my turn!

Let’s see…

Frown. 

brianlux said:
    Groan.

Yes, yes and fucking yes on this!  Nice Brian.  This perked me up after reading!!!

I'm glad to hear that. 
    And thanks!