*** Pearl Jam Los Angeles, CA Fanviews 5/6/22 ***

Comments

• MS142392MS142392 Posts: 37
    Red Lukin said:
    No given to fly...wow about time.

Now just ditch Corduroy and Small Town!
    Yes they should never play their best songs 
    One of the all-time great responses — love it.

Also agree with the OP: fewer pointless covers and more actual PJ songs is a good thing.
    3/20/94--Ann Arbor, MI
    6/14/98--Washington, DC
    8/7/00--Atlanta, GA
    4/28/03--Philadelphia, PA
    10/3/05--Philadelphia, PA
    6/19/08--Camden, NJ
    10/31/09--Philadelphia, PA (viva la Spectrum)
    10/21/13--Philadelphia, PA
    4/29/16--Philadelphia, PA (a/k/a The Night They Played TEN)
    9/14/22–Camden, NJ
  • chukdotcomchukdotcom Posts: 629
    You all have the privilege of seeing one of the greatest rock and roll bands ever and you ...complain? You actually have the ability to provide real-life comparisons between shows that you've attended, which means you've been to multiple shows, possibly and probably over multiple tours and you're going to bitch about the fact that they only played 22 songs when they usually play 30? Seriously? 

Since they're only playing 22 songs and you're only going to be let down - give your ticket to someone who, oh, I don't know, hasn't ever seen the band play live before? Someone who couldn't afford a ticket? Someone who had a really shitty couple of years? Or how about anyone, literally anyone, that would appreciate the moment of joy that comes from seeing a great band play live, especially given the absolute shit past, present, and future we're all collectively facing.

Some of you really need to check yourselves because you come across a bunch of entitled fans and really just need to take a second and realize that you got to go see Pearl Jam and appreciate that for all that it is... 

This community can be unreal sometimes.
    When is it OK to complain? 17 songs?
  • chukdotcomchukdotcom Posts: 629
    I blame inflation. More money for less...
  • mdevitremdevitre Los Angeles Posts: 26
    I have gone thru hell to see Pearl Jam play 2 or 3 songs at various shows. I've got pearl jam back 4 times in 12 months! We are lucky they still do this, no more complaining! 
    [X]  Ventura, California (May 12, 1992)
    [X]  Las Vegas, Nevada (December 01, 1993)
    [X]  Mountain View, California (October 01, 1994)
    [X]  San Diego, California (November 06, 1995)
    [X]  Seattle, Washington (September 14, 1996)
    [X]  Seattle, Washington (September 16, 1996)
    [X]  San Diego, California (July 10, 1998)
    [X]  Great Western Forum (July 13, 1998)
    [X]  Inglewood, California (July 14, 1998)
    [X]  Las Vegas, Nevada (October 22, 2000)
    [X]  Los Angeles, California (October 24, 2000)
    [X]  San Diego, California (October 25, 2000)
    [X]  Irvine, California (June 02, 2003)
    [X]  San Diego, California (June 05, 2003)
    [X]  Los Angeles, California (July 09, 2006)
    [X]  Hollywood, California (July 12, 2006)
    [X]  Santa Barbara, California (July 13, 2006)
    [X]  Universal City, California (September 30, 2009)
    [X]  Gibson Amphitheater (October 07, 2009)
    [X]  Los Angeles, CA (November 23, 2013)
    [X]  Los Angeles, CA (November 24, 2013)
    [X]  Greenville (April 16, 2016)
    [X]  Boston 1 (August 05, 2016)
    [X]  Boston 2 (August 07, 2016)
  • ForceofNature101ForceofNature101 Posts: 1,190
    edited May 2022
    I also want to add, Ed was in very strong vocal form last night and to me if a more compact set is able to let him give performances like that at age 60, more power to the band.  Other acts in similar age ranges are not as fortunate to still have a vocalist who can do what he does (anyone heard the latest clips of Bon Jovi?)
    Post edited by ForceofNature101 on
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,842
    Looks like a great set! And looking forward to tonight. PJ can bring their 22-23 song sets down to Australia anytime. Thanks in advance! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    Looks like a great set! And looking forward to tonight. PJ can bring their 22-23 song sets down to Australia anytime. Thanks in advance! 
    Sure, but if they did that, this board would still be overrun with spoiled folks from the US complaining about how a show they didn't even go to was too short and not up to par. 
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,204
    another fun show. yo, this band is just really good right now. of the girl is my favorite pj song, so it started off as good as as a show could for me. mike teased floyd’s wish you were here early on, and i wish they’d have tried it, but i am not complaining about no covers through two shows, i hope it stays this way, too. buckle up was not as strong as ohana, but overall the gigaton songs just sound great, hiccups and all. they appeared to end with alive, which i feel they should do way more often, but they regrouped for ledbetter.

one thing i haven’t really seen mentioned is that the forum is decorated in pearl jam designs and there are lyrics printed on many of the outer columns along the walkway. if you got time, take a stroll around the venue and look for these.

show #40 tonight for me. break out strangest tribe! :D
  • PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    Gotta love the Of The Girl pick and that performance of Present Tense. Out of the Gigaton performances, Who Ever Said really jumped out to me this time around! Vintage Ed with the Roe v. Wade comments during the Not For You breakdown.

Only 23% non-Gigaton overlap (5 songs) between SD and Forum I, and likely to be even less overlap between a night one and two. If this ultimately proves to be a trade between set length and less methodical, more varied sets, while simultaneously being tighter musically...I don't see how that's an unacceptable thing necessarily.
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 489
    edited May 2022
    Sure, but if they did that, this board would still be overrun with spoiled folks from the US complaining about how a show they didn't even go to was too short and not up to par. 
    I’m going to go enjoy tonight’s show but this use of the word “spoiled” is really off base IMO. A spoiled child is one that is given anything they want without boundaries. Pearl Jam is a business and we are their customers, paying for the privilege to be there. Every member of the band and every employee working for them benefits greatly from the fact that they have a devoted fan base that spends huge amounts of money on tickets, merchandise, and everything else they can come up with. And that’s to the band’s credit. What they have established is remarkable. But I can tell you this, they wouldn’t show up and play for free. Nor would any other act for that matter. And in my opinion, any paying customer is entitled to be satisfied, dissatisfied or anywhere in between.
    Post edited by Luckytwn1 on
  • ClownofThornsClownofThorns Posts: 165
    Luckytwn1 said:
    I’m going to go enjoy tonight’s show but this use of the word “spoiled” is really off base IMO. A spoiled child is one that is given anything they want without boundaries. Pearl Jam is a business and we are their customers, paying for the privilege to be there. Every member of the band and every employee working for them benefits greatly from the fact that they have a devoted fan base that spends huge amounts of money on tickets, merchandise, and everything else they can come up with. And that’s to the band’s credit. What they have established is remarkable. But I can tell you this, they wouldn’t show up and play for free. Nor would any other act for that matter. And in my opinion, any paying customer is entitled to be satisfied, dissatisfied or anywhere in between.
    Entitled is probably a better word choice than spoiled. 
  • NEweatherNEweather Posts: 449
    I personally like when a band/singer engages the audience instead of just rushing through the songs. Feels like they are actually interested in being there. 
      And, it always seems different, in good ways also... I don't know how they do it, so many times-  fun - & you never know what your gonna get- so the rush is awesome when it's something you wanted, or something you discovered you Love It Live!
  • sdclarky said:

Sorry to say, you are WAY off the mark. And you can read my review of last night’s show and there’s not a single complaint in there. But fans who have supported a band for 3 decades are allowed to have an opinion on a show. This fan base is one of the most incredible fan bases the world has ever seen and the money spent on this band is beyond insane. They are running a merchandising juggernaut. Without these fans, who do you think they’re selling all that crap to? The person going to 1 show in 30 years?

Pearl Jam is not curing cancer, they’re playing rock and roll. It is a fact that shows are shorter. It is a fact that many fans hold a lot of tickets to a lot of shows on this tour and they are surprised by that. It is also a fact that with the PJ Premium tickets that some people are paying over $1000 to attend these shows. Whether they paid the $108 or $1008, people can express their opinion about what they saw and if you’re offended by it, you should go read something else. 
    Don’t these people get it? This is the internet! It’s primary use is to complain about shit! People are expecting 3+ hour shows and PJ are coming up short! 
    Can you believe they have the balls to charge more for tickets and then perform less!?!
    Ive paid way less in previous years and gotten more songs! 
    We should probably get some data for each tour and figure out the cost per song of the average ticket and I’m certain this tour is the worst for the average 10 club member that has seen them more than 50 times. Even adjusting for inflation Im pretty sure PJ are screwing us over. 
    They used to be hard core but they sold out with these short shows. They didn’t even hire a real band to open for them, it’s just one of their touring members messing around on stage before the real act! 
    How about a class action lawsuit over charging us more for less songs, who’s with me!

LOL
    You don’t even know how dumb you all sound about the length of the show. These guys are over 50. Show some love and understanding and appreciate what you are given. 
    Lol, agreed.
  • lowbudgetlushlowbudgetlush Posts: 609
    It’s posts like this that reminds me there are much better places to hang than the forums. YOU are just as annoying as the complainers. Grow up. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.
  • Jcanr20Jcanr20 Illinois Posts: 114
    Watching a lot of videos from the first two shows and it seems like Stone doesn't even want to look towards the crowd. I would be disappointed if I was up front and he's hiding toward the back of the stage.
    It’s posts like this that reminds me there are much better places to hang than the forums. YOU are just as annoying as the complainers. Grow up. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.
    There's that word again. 
  • You all have the privilege of seeing one of the greatest rock and roll bands ever and you ...complain? You actually have the ability to provide real-life comparisons between shows that you've attended, which means you've been to multiple shows, possibly and probably over multiple tours and you're going to bitch about the fact that they only played 22 songs when they usually play 30? Seriously? 

Since they're only playing 22 songs and you're only going to be let down - give your ticket to someone who, oh, I don't know, hasn't ever seen the band play live before? Someone who couldn't afford a ticket? Someone who had a really shitty couple of years? Or how about anyone, literally anyone, that would appreciate the moment of joy that comes from seeing a great band play live, especially given the absolute shit past, present, and future we're all collectively facing.

Some of you really need to check yourselves because you come across a bunch of entitled fans and really just need to take a second and realize that you got to go see Pearl Jam and appreciate that for all that it is... 

This community can be unreal sometimes.
    When is it OK to complain? 17 songs?
    How about when they retire and you don’t get jack squat?  Maybe just appreciate the fact that they are still playing and that you get to be in the same building as them to experience what they are doing.  Some day it will be over.  Let’s just be thankful.  
    Just because you love Even flow, alive, daughter, small town and better man every night means I’m the asshole cause I don’t want them every night. We all like different songs. It doesn’t make you entitled. 
    Just because you love Even flow, alive, daughter, small town and better man every night means I’m the asshole cause I don’t want them every night. We all like different songs. It doesn’t make you entitled. 
    Subtle.
    Subtle.
    People can be disappointed. Why is that weird? I didn’t go to either show and don’t care either way. I just find it annoying that people have such a problem when people are bummed out about the song selection or length. 
    Subtle.
    People can be disappointed. Why is that weird? I didn’t go to either show and don’t care either way. I just find it annoying that people have such a problem when people are bummed out about the song selection or length. 
    Dunno. Better ask someone who doesn't like Better Man. 
  • DM282158DM282158 Beverly, MA Posts: 514
    I “only” have tickets to Toronto and Nashville; so I wasn’t there last night. 

2020 sucked. 
    2021 blowed. 

Can’t wait for the greatest band in the world to rock the fuck out for 22-23 songs in Toronto and Nashville. With some “newer” songs that are legit and still fun to turn up 2+ years later. And however many radio hits they happen to put on the list. Beers will be cold, tears will be flowing, and feet sore from jumping up and down. 

Love you all. 
    Boston '06
    Mansfield '08
    Hartford '10
    Worcester, Hartford '13
    Global Citizen, NY '15
    DM282158 said:

2020 sucked. 
    2021 blowed. 

Can’t wait for the greatest band in the world to rock the fuck out for 22-23 songs in Toronto and Nashville. With some “newer” songs that are legit and still fun to turn up 2+ years later. And however many radio hits they happen to put on the list. Beers will be cold, tears will be flowing, and feet sore from jumping up and down. 

Love you all. 
    Yes!
  • DM282158 said:

2020 sucked. 
    2021 blowed. 

Love you all. 
    High five!
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    Subtle.
    Thank you
  • chuck nevittchuck nevitt Posts: 225
    edited May 2022
    post deleted
    Post edited by Sea on
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,171
    Kat said:
    Can I encourage more Fanviews please? :) I'd love to hear what you experienced from the music. I wish I had been there.

Please this for the love of god. Take your bickering to another thread.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
    edited May 2022

Please remember to keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.
    Thank you

Post edited by Sea on
  • bones2kbones2k Posts: 1
    edited May 2022
    Overall a great show. 

OTG to kick off felt special. Faithfull, Present Tense and SOLAT!  Awesome. 

Was hoping for less Ten cuts than I saw they did in SD, and thought all 4 they played were really great.

I kept staying Mike “is already in mid season form”. 

I thought Ed generally sounded good, but on a couple of songs (live Never Destination) he seemed almost a bit winded in trying to keep up with the lyrics). 

Loved Superblood and Who Ever Said from new album. Dances and Quick Escape also good.   Before the show I kept saying “No Buckle Up!!!!” but I clearly jinxed myself.

All in all, I’m feeling so grateful to be able to see PJ live again and hear some of the new tunes!
  • walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    Not sure where this is coming from. Never said a thing about song selection. Of course we all like different songs. If you feel attacked by my comment, you should probably read it again. I never said anything about any of those songs nor about your right to have personal favorites.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus