Options

*** Pearl Jam Los Angeles, CA Fanviews 5/6/22 ***

Comments

• Options
    ClownofThornsClownofThorns Posts: 165
    DL136722 said:
    Set list looks good but it's short even with an opening band. This is Pearl Jam not an upcoming or middle of the road band. They're known for mixing up their sets and length of their shows, that's why most people like them because they're not like every other band that plays 20 songs then calls it a night. Maybe it's simply because they're getting older which is understandable. I'm happy they're playing, out on tour but seems like every major band is on tour as well or going to be soon so this narrative of just be grateful they're touring seems odd to me. They're an all-time band that tours less and less as the years go on, if they toured more, shorter sets makes sense but they're not, figured sets would be at least 25-28 songs, to each their own I guess. Might be because they were in SD & LA with a lot of family and friends with plans to do other stuff so simply not enough time to do what they normally do but these shorter sets are the same length as festival sets. If having an opener is impacting the length of their shows, I guess the question you have to ask yourself is, would you rather have an opener with a shorter PJ set or no opener with a longer PJ set? Personally, I'm going to a PJ show to see PJ so a longer show, without covers is preferred. 
    I think most people like them because their music is really good. 
  • Options
    Charlie_modCharlie_mod Posts: 110
    LA FORUM   5-6-22
  • Options
    DL136722 said:
    I agree 2.5 hours is longer than most bands play but if Ed spent less time chatting these set lists would be longer by at least 2 songs maybe 3. I know that's not a popular opinion but it's true. I'm not expecting 30 songs every night but 22 seems a little short. 
    Isn’t it obvious that he chats a lot because he needs the breaks? Maintaining his voice seems to be an increasing challenge and shorter set lists might be the only way going forward where he can do that. I’d rather the shorter set be limited to 4 or 5 Gigaton songs instead of 6-8 to allow for a better flow and more variety but it appears they really like the Gigaton songs so I’ll take a band enjoying themselves on stage first. although it’s hard when they have triple digits worth of songs better than Buckle Up haha. 
    Last night, I'm not even sure it was about Ed's voice. He looked spent about halfway through the set. His performance quality and vocals stayed at a high level--crazy respect for that--but, man, he looked tired. Caught his 2nd wind after a bit, though. 
  • Options
    sdclarkysdclarky Posts: 21

Sorry to say, you are WAY off the mark. And you can read my review of last night’s show and there’s not a single complaint in there. But fans who have supported a band for 3 decades are allowed to have an opinion on a show. This fan base is one of the most incredible fan bases the world has ever seen and the money spent on this band is beyond insane. They are running a merchandising juggernaut. Without these fans, who do you think they’re selling all that crap to? The person going to 1 show in 30 years?

Pearl Jam is not curing cancer, they’re playing rock and roll. It is a fact that shows are shorter. It is a fact that many fans hold a lot of tickets to a lot of shows on this tour and they are surprised by that. It is also a fact that with the PJ Premium tickets that some people are paying over $1000 to attend these shows. Whether they paid the $108 or $1008, people can express their opinion about what they saw and if you’re offended by it, you should go read something else. 
    Don’t these people get it? This is the internet! It’s primary use is to complain about shit! People are expecting 3+ hour shows and PJ are coming up short! 
    Can you believe they have the balls to charge more for tickets and then perform less!?!
    Ive paid way less in previous years and gotten more songs! 
    We should probably get some data for each tour and figure out the cost per song of the average ticket and I’m certain this tour is the worst for the average 10 club member that has seen them more than 50 times. Even adjusting for inflation Im pretty sure PJ are screwing us over. 
    They used to be hard core but they sold out with these short shows. They didn’t even hire a real band to open for them, it’s just one of their touring members messing around on stage before the real act! 
    How about a class action lawsuit over charging us more for less songs, who’s with me!

LOL
    You don’t even know how dumb you all sound about the length of the show. These guys are over 50. Show some love and understanding and appreciate what you are given. 
  • Options
    Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 492
    sdclarky said:

Sorry to say, you are WAY off the mark. And you can read my review of last night’s show and there’s not a single complaint in there. But fans who have supported a band for 3 decades are allowed to have an opinion on a show. This fan base is one of the most incredible fan bases the world has ever seen and the money spent on this band is beyond insane. They are running a merchandising juggernaut. Without these fans, who do you think they’re selling all that crap to? The person going to 1 show in 30 years?

Pearl Jam is not curing cancer, they’re playing rock and roll. It is a fact that shows are shorter. It is a fact that many fans hold a lot of tickets to a lot of shows on this tour and they are surprised by that. It is also a fact that with the PJ Premium tickets that some people are paying over $1000 to attend these shows. Whether they paid the $108 or $1008, people can express their opinion about what they saw and if you’re offended by it, you should go read something else. 
    Don’t these people get it? This is the internet! It’s primary use is to complain about shit! People are expecting 3+ hour shows and PJ are coming up short! 
    Can you believe they have the balls to charge more for tickets and then perform less!?!
    We should probably get some data for each tour and figure out the cost per song of the average ticket and I’m certain this tour is the worst for the average 10 club member that has seen them more than 50 times. Even adjusting for inflation Im pretty sure PJ are screwing us over. 
    They used to be hard core but they sold out with these short shows. They didn’t even hire a real band to open for them, it’s just one of their touring members messing around on stage before the real act! 
    How about a class action lawsuit over charging us more for less songs, who’s with me!

LOL
    You don’t even know how dumb you all sound about the length of the show. These guys are over 50. Show some love and understanding and appreciate what you are given. 
    “Appreciate what you are given.” Now again, I had zero complaints about last night’s show and you can read my review but let’s be clear, you are not being given anything. People are paying their hard fought dollars to see a show, to buy the million pieces of merchandise that Pearl Jam is selling every year, etc. And they are entitled to have an opinion, even if it’s one you don’t like. When Pearl Jam tours and all the tickets are free, then you might have a point.  
  • Options
    Luckytwn1 said:
    sdclarky said:

LOL
    “Appreciate what you are given.” Now again, I had zero complaints about last night’s show and you can read my review but let’s be clear, you are not being given anything. People are paying their hard fought dollars to see a show, to buy the million pieces of merchandise that Pearl Jam is selling every year, etc. And they are entitled to have an opinion, even if it’s one you don’t like. When Pearl Jam tours and all the tickets are free, then you might have a point.  
    "Hard fought dollars" is a little strong given the fan base's demographics at this point. 
  • Options
    sdclarkysdclarky Posts: 21
    edited May 2022
    Luckytwn1 said:
    The band is giving the audience a performance. I never said it was given for free.
    Sure, everyone can give their opinion. My opinion is if you are complaining about the length of their (2.5+hour)show then you are sounding like a spoiled selfish person rather than a PJ fan. I would think someone who cared about the band could see that they are pretty old. Maybe you could wrap your mind around the possibility they are giving it their all but want to sustain a high level of performance throughout the tour so they felt the need to shorten it up a bit? 
    So yeah, maybe if it sounds great, you could just appreciate the show they give you regardless of how many songs were counted or how many minutes ticked away?
    Post edited by sdclarky on
  • Options
    Luckytwn1 said:
    sdclarky said:

LOL
    "Hard fought dollars" is a little strong given the fan base's demographics at this point. 
    Pearl Jam is running a business, no different than any other. A customer’s money is always hard fought and from Ed’s words on the stage every night about how appreciative they are for the support of the fan base, I have no doubt he understands that. 
  • Options
    DL136722DL136722 Not sure... Posts: 645
    DL136722 said:
    Set list looks good but it's short even with an opening band. This is Pearl Jam not an upcoming or middle of the road band. They're known for mixing up their sets and length of their shows, that's why most people like them because they're not like every other band that plays 20 songs then calls it a night. Maybe it's simply because they're getting older which is understandable. I'm happy they're playing, out on tour but seems like every major band is on tour as well or going to be soon so this narrative of just be grateful they're touring seems odd to me. They're an all-time band that tours less and less as the years go on, if they toured more, shorter sets makes sense but they're not, figured sets would be at least 25-28 songs, to each their own I guess. Might be because they were in SD & LA with a lot of family and friends with plans to do other stuff so simply not enough time to do what they normally do but these shorter sets are the same length as festival sets. If having an opener is impacting the length of their shows, I guess the question you have to ask yourself is, would you rather have an opener with a shorter PJ set or no opener with a longer PJ set? Personally, I'm going to a PJ show to see PJ so a longer show, without covers is preferred. 
    Yes, I thought that went without saying and the quality of their music wasn't the point trying to be made but thank you for that observation/insight 👍
    Tweeter Center - Aug 29, 2000;Tweeter Center - Aug 30, 2000;Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000;Pepsi Arena - Apr 29, 2003;Bryce-Jordan Center - May 03, 2003;Bell Center - Jun 29, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 03, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003;Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - Jul 05, 2003;Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - Jul 06, 2003;Madison Square Garden - Jul 08, 2003;Madison Square Garden - Jul 09, 2003;TD Banknorth Garden - May 24, 2006;TD Banknorth Garden - May 25, 2006;Fleet Center - Sept 28, 2004;Fleet Center - Sept 29, 2004;Pepsi Arena - May 12, 2006 New England Dodge Music Arena - May 13, 2006;Grant Park - Aug 05, 2007;Bonnaroo - Jun 14, 2008;Dodge Music Center - Jun 27, 2008;Tweeter Center - Jun 28, 2008;Tweeter Center - Jun 30, 2008 XL Arena - May 15, 2010;TD Garden - May 17, 2010;Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sept 03, 2011;Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011 Corel Centre - Sep 16, 2005;Colisee Pepsi Arena - Sep 20, 2005; Wrigley Field - July 19, 2013; DCU Center - Oct 15, 2013; DCU Center - Oct 16, 2013; Fenway Park - August 5, 2016; Fenway Park - August 7, 2016

Oh Dude!
  • Options
    Luckytwn1 said:
    Luckytwn1 said:
    sdclarky said:

LOL
    Pearl Jam is running a business, no different than any other. A customer’s money is always hard fought and from Ed’s words on the stage every night about how appreciative they are for the support of the fan base, I have no doubt he understands that. 
    No, it isn't. Like, I understand your point, even if I disagree with it, but this sort of hyperbole is unnecessary. 
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,939
    I believe San Diego was discovered by the Germans in 1904. San Diego is German for whales vagina. 

Stay Classy. 
    Perfect
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Luckytwn1 said:
    Luckytwn1 said:
    sdclarky said:

LOL
    No, it isn't. Like, I understand your point, even if I disagree with it, but this sort of hyperbole is unnecessary. 
    Luckytwn1 said:
    Luckytwn1 said:
    sdclarky said:

LOL
    It’s not hyperbole at all. You seem to be making a judgement that a fan who might be older and have more disposable income, that their dollars are not hard fought and that’s ridiculous. I hope you don’t run a business with that attitude. 
  • Options
    DL136722 said:
    DL136722 said:
    Yes, I thought that went without saying and the quality of their music wasn't the point trying to be made but thank you for that observation/insight 👍
    Apologies if that was a little snarky--still waking up after rocking too hard last night. Of course I wish they played longer, but a 20-song PJ show is still one of life's greatest pleasures (for me). 
  • Options
    Luckytwn1 said:
    Luckytwn1 said:
    Luckytwn1 said:
    sdclarky said:

LOL
    Luckytwn1 said:
    Luckytwn1 said:
    sdclarky said:

LOL
    It’s not hyperbole at all. You seem to be making a judgement that a fan who might be older and have more disposable income, that their dollars are not hard fought and that’s ridiculous. I hope you don’t run a business with that attitude. 
    I don't consider my money "hard fought." I don't make a ton and I'd love to work even less, but you make it sound like all of just lived through the Great Depression, scrimping to save enough for a $125 concert ticket. 
  • Options
    PJALKPJALK Posts: 83
    Great set list.  Love the mix of songs.  And no covers /less covers is a good thing.
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    Red Lukin said:
    No given to fly...wow about time.

Now just ditch Corduroy and Small Town!
    Yes they should never play their best songs 
    Best?  You mean easiest and most boring songs to play live!
  • Options
    DL136722DL136722 Not sure... Posts: 645
    Based on the last 2 PJ shows and Eddie solo tour this past February, the set list is going to be an average of 23 songs. 
    Tweeter Center - Aug 29, 2000;Tweeter Center - Aug 30, 2000;Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000;Pepsi Arena - Apr 29, 2003;Bryce-Jordan Center - May 03, 2003;Bell Center - Jun 29, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 03, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003;Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - Jul 05, 2003;Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - Jul 06, 2003;Madison Square Garden - Jul 08, 2003;Madison Square Garden - Jul 09, 2003;TD Banknorth Garden - May 24, 2006;TD Banknorth Garden - May 25, 2006;Fleet Center - Sept 28, 2004;Fleet Center - Sept 29, 2004;Pepsi Arena - May 12, 2006 New England Dodge Music Arena - May 13, 2006;Grant Park - Aug 05, 2007;Bonnaroo - Jun 14, 2008;Dodge Music Center - Jun 27, 2008;Tweeter Center - Jun 28, 2008;Tweeter Center - Jun 30, 2008 XL Arena - May 15, 2010;TD Garden - May 17, 2010;Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sept 03, 2011;Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011 Corel Centre - Sep 16, 2005;Colisee Pepsi Arena - Sep 20, 2005; Wrigley Field - July 19, 2013; DCU Center - Oct 15, 2013; DCU Center - Oct 16, 2013; Fenway Park - August 5, 2016; Fenway Park - August 7, 2016

Oh Dude!
  • Options
    lowbudgetlushlowbudgetlush Posts: 609
    DL136722 said:

True, but the reason we go to multiple shows a tour is for the varied set lists. 
  • Options
    DL136722 said:

True, but the reason we go to multiple shows a tour is for the varied set lists. 
    We'll see what tonight's setlist includes, but if it's significantly different than last night's (which I'm sure it will be), that's enough to make me want to attend multiple shows. YMMV. 
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,782
    airblue1 said:
    I am a fortunate human to have been to the last two shows.  Can I start with saying the waiting drove me mad, we are all still alive. I think the theme is love and life. Enjoy one and another. For this tour I think we should mosh, shout, and enjoy every moment. Not compare, not complain,  but enjoy and respect. I love us, We have lost, let's heal. trade posters, over purchase, and always have each others back. I love you all and my hope your show is EPIC. Be good and let's do great things.
    I want to hang with this person at my next show ^
    Same
    I’m with you, sister. I love meeting people at shows who are like this. Just happy to be there and grateful that they are. I think this setlist looks solid!!

And “Of the Girl”…f’in beautiful. I have yet to experience that one. Can’t wait until MSG…hope to see you there! 🤞
    I’ll be there!  I’ll love to see you.  I’m missing Of The Girl too.  Might just burst into tears when it finally happens for me!
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    lowbudgetlushlowbudgetlush Posts: 609
    sdclarky said:

LOL
    This take sure is something.
  • Options
    SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,922
    Please refrain from name calling, see the Posting Guidelines, and remember to please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates. Thank you!
  • Options
    sdclarky said:
    Luckytwn1 said:
    The band is giving the audience a performance. I never said it was given for free.
    Sure, everyone can give their opinion. My opinion is if you are complaining about the length of their (2.5+hour)show then you are sounding like a spoiled selfish person rather than a PJ fan. I would think someone who cared about the band could see that they are pretty old. Maybe you could wrap your mind around the possibility they are giving it their all but want to sustain a high level of performance throughout the tour so they felt the need to shorten it up a bit? 
    So yeah, maybe if it sounds great, you could just appreciate the show they give you regardless of how many songs were counted or how many minutes ticked away?
    Perhaps you should read my review. I did not complain about any of the above. 
  • Options
    SpartanacusSpartanacus Oviedo, FL Posts: 818
    Show #18 - Brought my 16-year-old daughter for her 1st.  The opening had me on cloud nine as I finally got Of The Girl (the only new one for me).  Then Small Town's lyrics got me teared up again, "I just wanna scream hello; My god, it's been so long, never dreamed you'd return; But now here you are, and here I am..."  And then I was pumped my daughter got to hear her favorite, Superblood Wolfmoon.  A couple of songs later I proceeded to embarrass her with my Quick Escape dancing.  Then Faithful, which I knew was special, but found out afterwards it was just my 2nd time since my 1st show in 1998.  Plus Not For You, Down, Present Tense...great F'ing show!

When I was there I said it was better than SD, but I think I always think the show I'm at was better than the last show I was at.  In hindsight, after comparing setlists, both shows were superb and had great setlists for newbies who either want the hits or the new songs, and old timers like me who got a couple rarities.  

Would I have liked to see a few more songs, including some DEEP cuts?  Hell yes.  But Ed was chatty again tonight, and was letting loose a bit more with the wine, maybe because his Mom wasn't there (lol), but all in all, everybody got their money's worth.  I was hoping they'd play until 11:30 like SD, but they cut it a bit short, but I guess we can thank Ed for getting YL to end it.

Tonight I'll bring my other daughter (17) to her first PJ show.  What's a guy gotta do to hear a Release opener, with DEEP somewhere in the set (still chasing that elusive tune)?  And I'd be pretty shocked if we didn't get RVM and RITFW to close it tonight, if it's anything like the Ohana run (closed with Alive, YL, RITFW).

ROCK ON!!!
    19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
  • Options
    ForceofNature101ForceofNature101 Posts: 1,190
    I just wish these show threads were more about what songs were played instead of what wasn't there.  Of The Girl, Nothingman, Present Tense, etc.  all amazing songs and much needed after 2 years
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    Fucking awesome show. Love that Ed is back to doing a pre-opener solo song -- I Won't Back Down is always a treat. Klinghoffer was MUCH, MUCH better tonight than in San Diego. He seemed a little scattered for the first show much was much more relaxed and entertaining tonight. The Nutshell cover was awesome, and it was cool to see him jamming with Stone/Jeff (none of any of that took place in SD).

First time seeing Of the Girl live, so happy to check that off my list. Didn't get any other new (to me) songs but can't complain at all about the setlist. Not For You, State of Love and Trust, fucking PRESENT TENSE were all highlights. Faithfull was beautiful and maybe my favorite performance of the night. All of the new songs continue to sound great. I guess I'm in the minority, but I love Buckle Up and was so glad they chose to play it here.

Energy from the pit was great! Cheers to the younger dudes in the middle/front who were bouncing up and down all night. Love to see that! Ed was literally dripping and flinging sweat everywhere throughout the show, so it was clear that he was pouring everything he had into it. He looked to be exhausted at times but seemed to bounce back during the slower tracks and periods of talking. Gives some perspective about why those moments exist during the course of a show, I'd say. Ed, of course, told a lot of cool stories and mentioned some friends/fans who were in attendance. PJ shows wouldn't be the same without the band forging those personal connections, and I for one am very grateful for that.

Weirdest thing for me was the dude behind me who was verbally counting up the number of songs played. After/before almost every song he'd mention it to the person he was with ("that's 15"..."17 now"..."21 and Alive already?"). I guess I just don't get why anyone would find enjoyment in that. Personally, the last thing I want to do at a show is count songs or look at my clock to see how long the show is. I'd rather focus on the music and soak in the enjoyment of being there. I can't even feel the difference between 2.5 hours or 3 hours if I'm not looking at the time; all I want to feel is the music and the energy of the band/crowd. This was an INCREDIBLE show, probably top 5 for me all time out of 22. I've been to much longer shows that aren't even in my top 15. Seems like this isn't a popular opinion here, but a 2.5 hour show can be just as powerful/moving/memorable as a three-hour one.

Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    HaijayHaijay Posts: 327
    You all have the privilege of seeing one of the greatest rock and roll bands ever and you ...complain? You actually have the ability to provide real-life comparisons between shows that you've attended, which means you've been to multiple shows, possibly and probably over multiple tours and you're going to bitch about the fact that they only played 22 songs when they usually play 30? Seriously? 

Since they're only playing 22 songs and you're only going to be let down - give your ticket to someone who, oh, I don't know, hasn't ever seen the band play live before? Someone who couldn't afford a ticket? Someone who had a really shitty couple of years? Or how about anyone, literally anyone, that would appreciate the moment of joy that comes from seeing a great band play live, especially given the absolute shit past, present, and future we're all collectively facing.

Some of you really need to check yourselves because you come across a bunch of entitled fans and really just need to take a second and realize that you got to go see Pearl Jam and appreciate that for all that it is... 

This community can be unreal sometimes.
    Well said
  • Options
    ianh42ianh42 Posts: 199
    Last night's show was AWESOME.  I couldn't script a better playlist well other than to add another ten songs.  To open with Of the Girl is special and creates such a unique show experience from the onset.  Then to hit Elderly Woman song 2, we new it was on.  Ed came out sporting the rockstar leather jacket, and his energy was better than Tuesday in SD (which was also awesome!).  To get Present Tense, Faithful, Not For You, Down, Nothing Man, DTE and SOLAT...HOLY SH!T.  I'm still on cloud nine and so fortunate to have seen the first two shows of this tour, and going again tonight. 

I also feel compelled to comment on the length and number of songs from the first two shows after all of the debate on this thread.  I think it makes sense that they do 22/23 songs and play 2.5 hours given they are doing a LOT of shows this year.  The 3 hour shows were necessary when they were only doing a handful of shows in a year and not playing the alternate year.  I miss the covers personally, but if they have to ixnay something then it should be those.  That said, fingers crossed they close with RITFW tonight or sneak in Baba.  Prediction on an opener tonight is Retrograde or Release, or maybe both in a three song opener with Breakerfall thrown in.  I CAN'T WAIT!!!
    Living in a SOLAT...SJ 11/95 SD 11/95 BB 10/96 Oak 11/97 SD 7/98 LA 7/98 BB 10/99 LV 10/00 San B 10/00 Irvine 6/03 SD 6/03 LA 7/06 Fonda 7/06 SB 7/06 DC 6/08 LA 9-30 10-6 & 10-7-09 SD 10-9-09 SD 11/13 LA1&2 11/13 MIL 10/14 OHANA FEST 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021 (EV, PJ and PJ Encore 1) SD 5/3/22 LA 5/6/22 LA 5/7/22 Fresno 5/16/22

ISO Tickets for Los Angeles both nights...I got shut out of the 2024 Ten Club tickets :-(
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,256
    edited May 2022
    DL136722 said:
    I agree 2.5 hours is longer than most bands play but if Ed spent less time chatting these set lists would be longer by at least 2 songs maybe 3. I know that's not a popular opinion but it's true. I'm not expecting 30 songs every night but 22 seems a little short. 
    Isn’t it obvious that he chats a lot because he needs the breaks? Maintaining his voice seems to be an increasing challenge and shorter set lists might be the only way going forward where he can do that. I’d rather the shorter set be limited to 4 or 5 Gigaton songs instead of 6-8 to allow for a better flow and more variety but it appears they really like the Gigaton songs so I’ll take a band enjoying themselves on stage first. although it’s hard when they have triple digits worth of songs better than Buckle Up haha. 
    Last night, I'm not even sure it was about Ed's voice. He looked spent about halfway through the set. His performance quality and vocals stayed at a high level--crazy respect for that--but, man, he looked tired. Caught his 2nd wind after a bit, though. 
    I was five people back from the rail in the pit, dead center-- so right in line with Ed-- and I had the exact same impression.  He looked like he had been through the wringer.  He must have sweated out ten pounds.  I was exhausted for him.  But he brought it from start to finish, as did the whole band.  I can't imagine how they're going to come back tonight and do it again-- I can't imagine how I'm going to come back tonight and do it again!-- but I know they will (and so will I; I'll sleep Sunday, and I'll need to so I can drive to Phoenix on Monday).

This was my 65th PJ show, and it was one of the most exciting and memorable.  I am so happy they are leaning so heavily into Gigaton.  These songs sound great live.  We've seen some songs that sounded great on record fail to translate in recent years ("Getaway"), but these songs all translate.  And I've been impressed that Ed has mostly handled the very densely worded Gigaton tracks without too many flubs (the lyric sheets help).  "Who Ever Said" and "Superblood Wolfmoon" were pretty much nailed (although "Never Destination" was kind of shambolic).  Now complete the circle and play "Comes Then Goes"!!!

"Present Tense" was a major highlight.  There is a certain irony in hearing the band implore folks to live in the present tense as I noticed people near me engrossed in their phones.  Just a few people, mind you, but I wanted to scream at these people, "Pearl Jam is playing their hearts out fifteen feet away from you right now!  Facebook will be there later."  I actually kind of did scream at a woman next to me who was scrolling through the whole song, at least in the sense that I turned in her direction as I sang, "Makes much more sense/To live in the present tense."

Things I never thought I'd see: Ed flubbing the lyrics to "Even Flow."  That's it, guys.  It's time to retire that song. :)  Or maybe I'm just saying that because I've seen it 55 times in 65 shows...

EDIT: Adding a quick note about how much I enjoyed Pluralone's cover of Alice in Chains' "Nutshell."  That was a real treat.  One of my favorite songs of all-time, and Josh did a nice job with it.

Post edited by BF25394 on
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    Can I encourage more Fanviews please? :) I'd love to hear what you experienced from the music. I wish I had been there.

Falling down,...not staying down