Turntables

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409
    ANNNND now I own an Dual 1229Q Turntable.  adbook marketplace.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    mickeyrat said:
    Went classic, eh?  Was it refurbished or not necessary?  I'm not an expert but that has to be close to 50 years old. 
    yellow with a gold tone arm... 
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    mrussel1 said:
    yellow with a gold tone arm... 
    Kinda' hot right? 
    www.cluthelee.com
    edited April 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Went classic, eh?  Was it refurbished or not necessary?  I'm not an expert but that has to be close to 50 years old. 

needs work but $50 and I can get @dankind to finally shut up about them.

ok that last parts a lie but still $50. .

tried an open box AT  lp60x from best buy. big mistake. bubble wrap for packing material. one sheet on top on on bottom. no rca cord with...

dual is on a 4 month wait list for repair.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

tried an open box AT  lp60x from best buy. big mistake. bubble wrap for packing material. one sheet on top on on bottom. no rca cord with...

Good call on passing on the AT. So is it playable right now or do you need work to fire it up?
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Good call on passing on the AT. So is it playable right now or do you need work to fire it up?

need rca cords. ordered a shielded set by SKW? off of amazon. be here tomorrow.
    has a known tracking force issue and the guy recommends a new cart/stylus.

have a high end repair shop here, on a wait list up to 4 months. will give her a run once I have the cables to home test as it is now.

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Love those old Duals! I have been using a 1019 as my daily driver for years and I am in the process of restoring a 1219 right now.

They are quirky and a little funky looking but everything I play on the 1019 just sounds "right". No desire to replace the Dual for anything. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    edited April 2022
    dudeman said:
    Love those old Duals! I have been using a 1019 as my daily driver for years and I am in the process of restoring a 1219 right now.

They are quirky and a little funky looking but everything I play on the 1019 just sounds "right". No desire to replace the Dual for anything. 

contemplating a 1257 thats supposed to ge ready to go. ask is 160....

mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:

I'd pick that up in a heartbeat. Even if you don't like it, you could probably make a few bucks on selling it later.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited April 2022
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:

I'd pick that up in a heartbeat. Even if you don't like it, you could probably make a few bucks on selling it later.
    @dudeman , curious on your restoration goals. Do you try to get everything up to spec and all functions (auto, cueing, etc.) working good as new, or do you just try to get it to be a nice functioning TT? Do you make your own parts? Use interchangeable parts? Or do you wait until you can get OG parts?

I am too goddamn clumsy to get everything up to spec and all functions good as new. Duals are clockmaker work, IMO. You need a level of patience and steadiness that I just don't possess.

My hi-fi guy got everything working smoothly on my 1219, then I went in and adjusted a few screws to eliminate some noise from the motor, and, you probably guessed it, no more auto or cueing.

Those things never worked on my older 1219, so I don't miss them at all. I prefer dropping the needle on the record to pushing a button anyway.

So how do you go about restoration?
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:

@dudeman , curious on your restoration goals. Do you try to get everything up to spec and all functions (auto, cueing, etc.) working good as new, or do you just try to get it to be a nice functioning TT? Do you make your own parts? Use interchangeable parts? Or do you wait until you can get OG parts?

I am too goddamn clumsy to get everything up to spec and all functions good as new. Duals are clockmaker work, IMO. You need a level of patience and steadiness that I just don't possess.

My hi-fi guy got everything working smoothly on my 1219, then I went in and adjusted a few screws to eliminate some noise from the motor, and, you probably guessed it, no more auto or cueing.

Those things never worked on my older 1219, so I don't miss them at all. I prefer dropping the needle on the record to pushing a button anyway.

Complete restoration is always my goal. I've done probably 13 of the idler drive Duals and I have had good luck with them.

Seldom had to replace parts but the headshell sleds are finicky. I gave up on trying to get the contacts right on them so I just replace them with new ones from Pat's on Ebay. 

Otherwise, getting the old grease and crud out of the mechanism and relubing are the main things. I also pull the service manuals so I can follow the set up procedure. Since everything is mechanical and functions are dependent on each other, it is important to adjust each part in a particular order. 

The only thing I haven't had to do yet is to crack open the motor. The one I'm working on now is going to need motor work so I'll have to figure that out. 
    edited April 2022
    dudeman said:
    dankind said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:

Complete restoration is always my goal. I've done probably 13 of the idler drive Duals and I have had good luck with them.

Seldom had to replace parts but the headshell sleds are finicky. I gave up on trying to get the contacts right on them so I just replace them with new ones from Pat's on Ebay. 

Otherwise, getting the old grease and crud out of the mechanism and relubing are the main things. I also pull the service manuals so I can follow the set up procedure. Since everything is mechanical and functions are dependent on each other, it is important to adjust each part in a particular order. 

The only thing I haven't had to do yet is to crack open the motor. The one I'm working on now is going to need motor work so I'll have to figure that out. 
    I feel like this is something I'd love to do once I retire when there are both more time and less strands in the old Duder's head.

I have the schematics printed out and everything, but every time I've dug my paws into the machine to fix something, I've wound up disabling something else. I just tend to ignore that very specific dependency and order of operations to just go after the very thing that's acting up. Up until now, I've always fixed the thing I set out to fix, though, so I consider my repair work a success.

I will say I've never had to replace headshell sleds for contact issues, though. A pencil eraser has always done the trick for me there. 

Good luck on the motor work!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    dudeman said:
    dankind said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:

I feel like this is something I'd love to do once I retire when there are both more time and less strands in the old Duder's head.

I have the schematics printed out and everything, but every time I've dug my paws into the machine to fix something, I've wound up disabling something else. I just tend to ignore that very specific dependency and order of operations to just go after the very thing that's acting up. Up until now, I've always fixed the thing I set out to fix, though, so I consider my repair work a success.

I will say I've never had to replace headshell sleds for contact issues, though. A pencil eraser has always done the trick for me there. 

Good luck on the motor work!
    Getting everything dialed in and working correctly is definitely a balancing act! The trick is to take it slow and make small adjustments. I have come across a few that have differences even though they are the same model. That makes it a little more challenging too.

The headshell sleds on the 1200 series are much better than the 1000 series. Eraser is my go-to for the 1200s but the 1000s have little plastic nubs that hold the leaf spring in place. Those things like to break off if you look at them sideways! 

The motor is going to be a drag, I think. They used to use a foam or phenolic disc for holding the oil and distributing it in the motor. Over the years, those break down and leave a gummy, greasy mess inside. The motor will have to be disassembled, cleaned and have a new felt disc put in place of the old one. Then relube, reassemble and get it aligned and adjusted again. 

The old Duals are very much a labor of love. I don't think anyone can make much money on fixing these since they are so labor intensive. It is a lot of fun though and super rewarding when you fire one up and find that everything works!
    well, it will transfer sounds from stylus to receiver. it definitely needs more than what I already described.  auto starts needs adjusted, it lands the tone arm short. will seem to shut off after landing and auto return. tracking force is an issue as already stated.

the rca posts added are close together so the type of plug jacket needs to be thin. I couldn't use the rca cables I bought. even the plain jane ones I had on the cd player are tight between the two channels. but they'll  do for now.

even with the old cart it sounded pretty good. if they can get it in normally operating range I'll be happy.

think I am getting that other one too 

@dankind @dudeman what sources or reference materials if any are you using for diy repairs/servicing of your duals?

edited April 2022
    Vinyl Engine has downloadable service manuals and schematics sheets in PDF form, IIRC. If not, it’s a site very similar to that one. There are also ancient websites dedicated to old Duals that might have printable materials. And some of the bulletin board type sites have posters who’ve been known to share PDFs as well. I have the “Dual 1219, 1229 Service for Amateurs” manual as well as the Dual 1219 service and owner’s manuals saved in the books section of my phone. 

Edit: The Dual 1219 service and owner's manuals were both downloaded from Vinyl Engine. (It has their title page.) I'm willing to bet that the “Dual 1219, 1229 Service for Amateurs” manual came from there as well, though it does not have their title page.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    yes found vinyl engine the other day

tools you use?

guessing. screwdrivers to include precision type as well as standard sizes. needlenose plier set?  anything else you found helpful? lighted magnifier?

edited April 2022
    mickeyrat said:
    yes found vinyl engine the other day

tools you use?

guessing. screwdrivers to include precision type as well as standard sizes. needlenose plier set?  anything else you found helpful? lighted magnifier?
    Those are all tools I need, but don’t have. :lol:

One thing I will recommend is to get a cloth or a bunch of containers for the parts. Don’t just set them down on the table and expect them to stay where you put them. And some of them are hard to replace in a reasonable amount of time or at all. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited April 2022
    so just downloaded those manuals over there. WOW!!!!! super detailed and pictures to boot. very well thought out and executed. Can go into to this with some measure of confidence I didnt have when thinking about it. Tool lists included too.

yes, there's a workbench in the basement that I will be commandeering (wife's house, had it before we married used for junk storage right now.) Envisioned a towel on the bench top. Good tip on the containers, will do both. Thanks.

mickeyrat said:
    so just downloaded those manuals over there. WOW!!!!! super detailed and pictures to boot. very well thought out and executed. Can go into to this with some measure of confidence I didnt have when thinking about it. Tool lists included too.

yes, there's a workbench in the basement that I will be commandeering (wife's house, had it before we married used for junk storage right now.) Envisioned a towel on the bench top. Good tip on the containers, will do both. Thanks.
    I think I have used HiFI engine for manuals for my Marantz and Pioneer.  They were really helpful.  
    Glad you got the manuals! Those are complicated machines to tackle without them. 

Also, if you run into any issues, the folks over at audiokarma.com are very helpful and knowledgeable. 

Good luck with the resto!
    Audiokarma was the bulletin board type site that I was thinking of. Some pretty helpful folks over there.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    driving to look at the 1257 Saturday morning. Will likely buy.  All depends on the demo. Pictures show its in great shape cosmetically,  but pictures can also be selectively taken to hide flaws.

Am armed with a little bit of knowledge. hope he will negotiate on price, going to counter with 120 down from 160. Range I was given by experts stated 125 to 150 if all was ideal and the new cart/stylus was decent.

1257 $140

now on my way to get a 1228......

obsessed anyone?

mickeyrat said:
    1257 $140

now on my way to get a 1228......

obsessed anyone?
    Cool man! Enjoy them. 
    edited April 2022
    1257 running disc 4 of Allmans at Atlanta Inter Pop Festival. Mountain Jam.....  Some work to do on it but happy enough being dead dog tired but cant sleep after about 725 miles on the night total.

Need to dig into the 1228. No stylus,its broken off..... ordered a replacement from lpgear. shure 95g

edited April 2022
    New Stylus installed and the 1228 is running just fine. will do a service on it after a bit but think I'm gonna get the 1257 straight before I do the 1228. then on to the 1229Q.

mickeyrat said:
    New Stylus installed and the 1228 is running just fine. will do a service on it after a bit but think I'm gonna get the 1257 straight before I do the 1228. then on to the 1229Q.

Very cool! How does it sound?