Turntables

1235»

Comments

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Cool! Those old Shure carts are great matches for Duals.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,426
    edited March 2023
    dudeman said:
    Cool! Those old Shure carts are great matches for Duals.

need to search for the second 1228 cart and stylus. Have AT95 setup from an Onkyo headshell I have laying around. I can throw on here or that pioneer get up too. but it needs to be operational first.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    I am moving my turntable from my carpeted living room to a room with hardwood flooring. I want to put something underneath the stand the turntable sits on to reduce vibration being transferred to it when walking near it. I was thinking about a small area rug or an anti fatigue pad. Any suggestions?
    If you can go with a wall mounted stand, definitely do it. 
    Otherwise, try an Auralex turntable pad. I had the same problem as yourself. I have my setup on a hardwood floor and when I walked close to the turntable I could hear my footsteps resonating from the speakers. The Auralex stopped that. It was a relatively cheap solution as some isolation pads can cost a ton of money.
    edited March 2023
    eddiec said:
    I am moving my turntable from my carpeted living room to a room with hardwood flooring. I want to put something underneath the stand the turntable sits on to reduce vibration being transferred to it when walking near it. I was thinking about a small area rug or an anti fatigue pad. Any suggestions?
    If you can go with a wall mounted stand, definitely do it. 
    Otherwise, try an Auralex turntable pad. I had the same problem as yourself. I have my setup on a hardwood floor and when I walked close to the turntable I could hear my footsteps resonating from the speakers. The Auralex stopped that. It was a relatively cheap solution as some isolation pads can cost a ton of money.

Auralex ISO-Tone Turntable Isolation Platform https://a.co/d/bnJs240

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    edited May 2023
    1229Q.....

$50.

been sitting since I bought it. tracking force dial spring is sprung.

Finally asked on vinyl engine and it was such an obvious work around. Adjust TF with counterweight.....

sounds pretty good through an OG Shure M75D and a Shure NB71 stylus.

Spinning reissue Vitalogy.

Very cool! Not bad for $50.00, either.

You probably already know this but I'm a huge fan of those old Dual idler drive turntables. They are magical when paired with a Marantz and a good set of speakers. 
    got a line on a dual 1219 ....

mickeyrat said:

home. will test later.

also received the 1229Q original cover. looks great.

mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

home. will test later.

Sweet! Good luck with it.

I have a 1209 sitting in my basement that needs restoration. Maybe I should get off my ass and do something about that. Haha
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

home. will test later.

I have a 1209 sitting in my basement that needs restoration. Maybe I should get off my ass and do something about that. Haha

1219 looks way simplier than the 1228 or 1229Q to me. Think that will be my diy entry into working on these.

dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

home. will test later.

what do you do or use for a repair stand?

mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

home. will test later.

what do you do or use for a repair stand?
    Just a flat table. I remove the platter and counter weight so there isn't as much stress on the mechanisms when I have to flip it over. 

I also use blocks of styrofoam to protect the top and to make sure the tonearm isn't bearing any weight while the turntable is upside-down. 
    just received a 1216. wood base and intact cover.  stupid cheap. needs repair. one owner. stored. since early 80's

mickeyrat said:
    just received a 1216. wood base and intact cover.  stupid cheap. needs repair. one owner. stored. since early 80's
    Nice find!
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Nice find!

$42 plus shipping.

mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Nice find!

$42 plus shipping.
    That's awesome! There is a guy local to me selling a 1218 (I think) that has a rough looking UA base for $400.

Good deals on these gems seem to be drying up around here.
    buddy was gifted some equipment last year. To include a kenwood receiver from the 80's and a Technics SL -1500. I had the TT cleaned and relubed. New Empire stylus(existing Empire cart). Thing is dead quiet. Such a solid performer.

One thing I noticed though. I am very spoiled by using Dual tables and their FULL AUTO feature!!!!

I'll tell you man, there is something special about those Dual idler drive turntables. They are so interesting to operate and there is an authoritative quality to the sound that I have never been able to get from a belt or direct drive tt.

Right now I have a nice Pioneer tt and it sounds really nice, but compared to my Dual, it just sounds like something is missing. 
    edited July 2023
    The 1500 now belongs to me. he about shit at the cost for cleaning. I threw in his ticket to pj (yet to pay for by him)and one of the 7 duals. will be a 1228 or 1257....

edited July 2023
    so I want to run the Technics 1500 and Dual 1228 through the 2275. being single phono amp I will need a reliable external switch. recommendations?
    Also believe am going reasearch and search for a solid dd dual... you know, to round out my collection.

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    edited July 2023
    mickeyrat said:
    so I want to run the Technics 1500 and Dual 1228 through the 2275. being single phono amp I will need a reliable external switch. recommendations?
    Also believe am going reasearch and search for a solid dd dual... you know, to round out my collection.

You need an RCA switch or an amp switch?
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

rca. I guess. difference between the two?

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

rca. I guess. difference between the two?
    You want two turntables and the single Marantz? If so, RCA switch.  They are cheap so I would find the best one I could. 
    edited July 2023
    mickeyrat said:

Cool idea! Just be aware that the output from each of those turntables is quite low so adding a passive switch and additional cabling is going to load the cartridges and probably give you weaker overall sound quality. 

If I were going to attempt that, I would look for a standalone phono pre that can accommodate two sets of inputs and allow switching between them. That way, you would be sending an amplified signal to the 2275. You would just use the Tape or AUX jacks instead of the Phono.

Alternatively, you could use one turntable into the 2275's phono jacks and the other one into a separate, single channel phono pre fed into either the Tape or Aux jacks.

Also, I've been looking for a good deal on a Dual 721 for a LONG time. They are really excellent direct drives! Hopefully you have better luck finding one than I have had. If you come across one, I'd love to hear your impressions. 
    Post edited by dudeman on
    edited July 2023
    great. already have the preamp so I'll do that.

I swear, it feels like I'm cheating on the 1228 using the technics.....

dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:

Cool idea! Just be aware that the output from each of those turntables is quite low so adding a passive switch and additional cabling is going to load the cartridges and probably give you weaker overall sound quality. 

If I were going to attempt that, I would look for a standalone phono pre that can accommodate two sets of inputs and allow switching between them. That way, you would be sending an amplified signal to the 2275. You would just use the Tape or AUX jacks instead of the Phono.

Alternatively, you could use one turntable into the 2275's phono jacks and the other one into a separate, single channel phono pre fed into either the Tape or Aux jacks.

Also, I've been looking for a good deal on a Dual 721 for a LONG time. They are really excellent direct drives! Hopefully you have better luck finding one than I have had. If you come across one, I'd love to hear your impressions. 

define good deal?

believe thats the one I'd shoot for. seems the most highly regarded behind the 701 on vinyl engine.

mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:

define good deal?

believe thats the one I'd shoot for. seems the most highly regarded behind the 701 on vinyl engine.
    Around here?: less than $500 for one that is in good shape with an intact dust cover.

They don't pop up often but when they do, they are pretty rough and still priced crazy high.
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:

define good deal?

Around here?: less than $500 for one that is in good shape with an intact dust cover.

They don't pop up often but when they do, they are pretty rough and still priced crazy high.

couple on ebay right now well under that. need service and/or repair of course

• drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    edited July 2023
    https://techcrunch.com/2023/07/07/if-you-dont-buy-jony-ives-60000-turntable-are-you-really-a-music-fan/amp/

The “apple” turntable. Well, not really… former Apple Chief Designer, Jony Ive. Limited and expensive, but it looks cool!

Post edited by drakeheuer14 on
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016