Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    bill c11 thoughts?
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    Nami said:
    bill c11 thoughts?
    Basically CanCon for Streaming....  I don't mind it, but I would want to know more about how it will all work.  The biggest difference I see between traditional media and online streaming is that generally speaking back in the days of cable TV and radio...  the user would tune into a particular station and what that station was putting out was regulated. They were able to say to the station "Hey, make sure you're meeting CanCon quotas." 

With streaming, it's all kind of there and the user picks from it.  So in other words, we go to the media, the media doesn't come to us. 

How they plan on regulating this in terms of CanCon is a bit of a mystery to me. If somehow it eliminates some US media to make room for more Canadian media... I will probably be a bit disappointed.... if it's just a way to have more available Canadian content... then I'm all for. 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    The sad part is I don't find most Cancon stuff worth watching.    The stuff the OTA Canadian networks produce isn't really worth watching either.

I dunno.  I feel like Netflix makes more Canadian produced content that I watch, than Global or CTV etc...  If the goal is to promote more Cancon, should stuff on CTV/Global/City that doesn't get many eyeballs count?

I guess this it all suppose to help news outlets earn revenues too, but news papers are dying... local news broadcasts are cut pretty thin.  The only local one I watch is an independent (Chek 6) and I can watch their news broadcasts for free via a streaming app they made.  CTV/Global are locked behind a paywall.

I guess in short... I feel like we should support one thing. maybe the CBC?  But I feel like we should stop propping up the private Canadian networks/media empires.
    edited April 2022
    Parksy said:
    If we didn't take any security measures for Trudeau during this, I would have been shocked.

Regarding all of our politicians... they all blow.  Trudeau included. 

While I agree with a lot, but not all criticism of JT, it still doesn't change a couple undeniable facts:

He won three elections.  Only one was a blow out, true. But he still maintained his status for count em three elections. And that's AFTER three huge scandals that should have sunk most politicians. 
    While very, very greasy, he is a masterful politician. 
    He handled a 4 year Trump presidency brilliantly. 

Now.... for those who don't like him... and for those who downright hate the man...  I have a wild and crazy suggestion:  Try to win an election. 

5.8M voted CON.  5.5M voted LIB. 3M voted NDP. 800K voted PPC.  1.3 voted BQ. 400Kish voted green. 

Stop looking at the election and the Canadian population as one political mindset... but on the political spectrum.  My lack of knowledge of the BQ party aside....  you have 6.6M right leaning. 8.9M left leaning. 

That's a majority folks... and we can have this debate all day long, but to me... that quite frankly shows that in general, Canada as a nation is a left leaning people. This was discovered only 5 - 6 months ago. 

So if the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result... the conservatives are insane. And the more right they start leaning... you're only going to get the same results. 

They have three years to try to do something that they seem completely incapable of doing.. .and that's convincing a guy like me to vote Conservative.  Traditional white conservative folks who are aging are going to to die off within three years. It's a fraction, but I believe it will matter.  Immigrants coming here who will be essentially replacing those older white folks who will have died will look at the Liberal and NDP parties and see their voting path forward. Not only from a policy standpoint, but on the fact that the parties are physically representing them. Diverse. Trudeau is very aware of this. He sees the shifting tides of the population. He sees progressive thinking. And he's capitalizing on it. To dumb this down a bit... for those who don't like 'wokeness' ... get used to being the losing party whining on the other side for a long time. 

The Cons could win my vote... quite easily to be honest if they start doing a handful of things.. .and stop doing a handful of things. Namely... stop blaming Trudeau for literally every problem in Canada. Stop acting like clowns by yelling and ringing bells in the House of Commons when people are talking. Stop trying to make me afraid of problems that don't exist. Stop playing the same game as Trudeau. If you think he's an ass because of how he type casted the freedom convoy, then don't do the same thing as he does. And don't EVER refer to progressive policies and thinking as 'Radical Left.' In general, start behaving better. If Trudeau is utterly classless... then start being the epitome of class and civility. How?  START calling out the 'F*ck Trudeau' idiots and the folks who fly the Canadian flag upside down as some sort of protest. Start distancing yourself from Trump, American Republican behaviour, Freedom Convoy clowns. Start explaining in enough detail not why or how Trudeau failed as a PM, but what you would have done differently.   They need to stop pandering to the PPC crowd, and start seeing Canada for what it is and not what a bunch of idiots think it ought to be. 

I follow Candice Bergen just like I followed O'Toole...  and the things these folks do and say and post about... and more importantly the comments from right leaning people blow my mind away. Utter stupidity, utter ignorance. 

If Trudeau supports offshore oil in Newfoundland and say a pipeline in the West (which he already did) .... consider it check-mate. (again) The far left environmental folks in green and NDP will scream foul play... but never enough to convince them to vote right. Jagmeet will be pissed off, but not enough to pull support because Trudeau will have given him dental care and pharma care which will be the pillars of Jagmeet trying to dethrone Trudeau in 2025.  Meanwhile.. he will have maintained his small amounts of support in the west, quieted his economic critics on the right, and gained support in the east. Small victories and status-quo. Then he keeps sprinkling his 'niceness dust' on progressive and social issues while he waits for the right to do anything that looks like the opposite and exploits it.  THAT's why he and his party focused so much on weapons, swastikas, and confederate flags during the freedom convoy.  We'll see how it plays out... but in Canadian politics.. he's genius.  Stop hating on him like a bunch of sore losers; beat him at his game. As Dalton from Road House would suggest... 'be nice.'  (sorry for the amount of words.) 

Offshore oil approved federally and signed off by ultra environmentalist (and appointed Federal Environment Minister) Steve Guilbeault.  

Love Trudeau or hate him...  he is politically in a league of his own when it comes to Canada politics. 

This blows up in my face if Jagmeet now pulls his support... but in my opinion there is ZERO chance they both didn't already know this was coming and was part of the agreement.  Green party will scream foul. Environmentalists in the NDP will scream foul.   But it quiets the 'Trudeau is Anti-gas and oil' crowd. And it gains Liberal support in the east. 
    Post edited by Parksy on
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    Parksy said:
    If we didn't take any security measures for Trudeau during this, I would have been shocked.

While I agree with a lot, but not all criticism of JT, it still doesn't change a couple undeniable facts:

He won three elections.  Only one was a blow out, true. But he still maintained his status for count em three elections. And that's AFTER three huge scandals that should have sunk most politicians. 

Now.... for those who don't like him... and for those who downright hate the man...  I have a wild and crazy suggestion:  Try to win an election. 

5.8M voted CON.  5.5M voted LIB. 3M voted NDP. 800K voted PPC.  1.3 voted BQ. 400Kish voted green. 

Stop looking at the election and the Canadian population as one political mindset... but on the political spectrum.  My lack of knowledge of the BQ party aside....  you have 6.6M right leaning. 8.9M left leaning. 

That's a majority folks... and we can have this debate all day long, but to me... that quite frankly shows that in general, Canada as a nation is a left leaning people. This was discovered only 5 - 6 months ago. 

So if the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result... the conservatives are insane. And the more right they start leaning... you're only going to get the same results. 

They have three years to try to do something that they seem completely incapable of doing.. .and that's convincing a guy like me to vote Conservative.  Traditional white conservative folks who are aging are going to to die off within three years. It's a fraction, but I believe it will matter.  Immigrants coming here who will be essentially replacing those older white folks who will have died will look at the Liberal and NDP parties and see their voting path forward. Not only from a policy standpoint, but on the fact that the parties are physically representing them. Diverse. Trudeau is very aware of this. He sees the shifting tides of the population. He sees progressive thinking. And he's capitalizing on it. To dumb this down a bit... for those who don't like 'wokeness' ... get used to being the losing party whining on the other side for a long time. 

The Cons could win my vote... quite easily to be honest if they start doing a handful of things.. .and stop doing a handful of things. Namely... stop blaming Trudeau for literally every problem in Canada. Stop acting like clowns by yelling and ringing bells in the House of Commons when people are talking. Stop trying to make me afraid of problems that don't exist. Stop playing the same game as Trudeau. If you think he's an ass because of how he type casted the freedom convoy, then don't do the same thing as he does. And don't EVER refer to progressive policies and thinking as 'Radical Left.' In general, start behaving better. If Trudeau is utterly classless... then start being the epitome of class and civility. How?  START calling out the 'F*ck Trudeau' idiots and the folks who fly the Canadian flag upside down as some sort of protest. Start distancing yourself from Trump, American Republican behaviour, Freedom Convoy clowns. Start explaining in enough detail not why or how Trudeau failed as a PM, but what you would have done differently.   They need to stop pandering to the PPC crowd, and start seeing Canada for what it is and not what a bunch of idiots think it ought to be. 

I follow Candice Bergen just like I followed O'Toole...  and the things these folks do and say and post about... and more importantly the comments from right leaning people blow my mind away. Utter stupidity, utter ignorance. 

If Trudeau supports offshore oil in Newfoundland and say a pipeline in the West (which he already did) .... consider it check-mate. (again) The far left environmental folks in green and NDP will scream foul play... but never enough to convince them to vote right. Jagmeet will be pissed off, but not enough to pull support because Trudeau will have given him dental care and pharma care which will be the pillars of Jagmeet trying to dethrone Trudeau in 2025.  Meanwhile.. he will have maintained his small amounts of support in the west, quieted his economic critics on the right, and gained support in the east. Small victories and status-quo. Then he keeps sprinkling his 'niceness dust' on progressive and social issues while he waits for the right to do anything that looks like the opposite and exploits it.  THAT's why he and his party focused so much on weapons, swastikas, and confederate flags during the freedom convoy.  We'll see how it plays out... but in Canadian politics.. he's genius.  Stop hating on him like a bunch of sore losers; beat him at his game. As Dalton from Road House would suggest... 'be nice.'  (sorry for the amount of words.) 

Yah I dont get the conservative party either.   The US feels like 40% right , 40% left, and 20% centre.

I feel like Canada is 30% right, 40% centre, 30% left, but when confronted with a choice between right and left, Canadian voters turn left. I personally wish we had something more in the centre (like the 90's version of the Liberal party).

I don't get why the Cons try to go even further right, you ignore all the people in the centre, and they end up drifting left instead.

At least here in Canada many of us realize all of our leaders suck.   We seem to have a much smaller contingent than the US that has a die hard hard faith in a single person or party.  Were just like.. well this is the least shitty thing for the next few years.
    Zod said:
    Parksy said:

Yah I dont get the conservative party either.   The US feels like 40% right , 40% left, and 20% centre.

I feel like Canada is 30% right, 40% centre, 30% left, but when confronted with a choice between right and left, Canadian voters turn left. I personally wish we had something more in the centre (like the 90's version of the Liberal party).

I don't get why the Cons try to go even further right, you ignore all the people in the centre, and they end up drifting left instead.

At least here in Canada many of us realize all of our leaders suck.   We seem to have a much smaller contingent than the US that has a die hard hard faith in a single person or party.  Were just like.. well this is the least shitty thing for the next few years.
    Yep 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    there's more hate for trudeau than there is love for anyone else. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Anyone watch tune into the Conservative Party leadership debate? If so, thoughts? 

Also...  and this relates to the debates ... there is a lot of talk about "defunding the CBC."  I've talked to a couple of people, each are lovers of Pierre and everything he has to say.  Defunding the CBC to me equates to a more general conversation about journalism and news.  Private media vs. state-run media. 

I'm not sure how anyone can look at the private media path and think "yeah, that's what we want." To me it comes down to control.  As a consumer of media, you have little to no control over what a private company is going to and wants to put out.  Alternatively, with state-run media, we as constituents do have an amount of control in that if we suspect something doesn't smell right (presently, those thinking that the CBC is simply doing Trudeau's bidding) well.. .we can vote Trudeau and the Liberals out.  
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    I've never quite understood why we protect Canadian networks like CTV and Global, which basically don't make any useful cancon (at least not any that most people would watch) and exist to primarily resell US content.

I never had a problem with the CBC.  If we're going to focus efforts into something Canadian, why not focus the tax dollars and breaks into one place.

That being said, I rarely if ever watch CBC, but I do appreciate their website :)
  • erebuserebus Posts: 549
    Anyone watching the Conservative leadership debate tonight? I am going to give it a try and see how long I can last. 
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
    erebus said:
    Anyone watching the Conservative leadership debate tonight? I am going to give it a try and see how long I can last. 
    It's the same song and dance. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    I loved Trudeau's rebuttal of Owens' flub when she said "stop spreading information to canadians". it was funny as hell. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• erebuserebus Posts: 549
    I made it through the whole debate.

If you thought Trudeau is arrogant and entitled,  let me introduce you to Mr. Poilievre.

I don't think the Cons can win despite a lot of people not caring/tiring of JT

1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
    erebus said:
    I made it through the whole debate.

If you thought Trudeau is arrogant and entitled,  let me introduce you to Mr. Poilievre.

I don't think the Cons can win despite a lot of people not caring/tiring of JT

If Charest wins the Conservative leadership and the election was in a month, I would vote Conservative. If it was Polieievre, I would vote Liberal. 

Pierre is so engrained in his own populist movement and scoring points with his base that he and the party are forgetting that they need not win people to the right of the political spectrum in Canada... they need to win people in the centre-left (which I consider myself to be).
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    Ugh, lol. And everything I've seen makes me think Trudeau would support Minority Report-style precrime prosecutions. 

https://screenrant.com/justin-trudeau-iron-man-cameo-civil-war-ii/
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
    Ugh, lol. And everything I've seen makes me think Trudeau would support Minority Report-style precrime prosecutions. 

What are you talking about?  We don't even jail people after they do a crime.. lol.  Trudeau started that whole catch and release thing, so now police run in circles rearresting the same people all day.
    Zod said:

What are you talking about?  We don't even jail people after they do a crime.. lol.  Trudeau started that whole catch and release thing, so now police run in circles rearresting the same people all day.
    I agree that the Liberals in general are what I would call “soft on crime” (to say nothing of the other day’s Supreme Court ruling).

I started calling Trudeau the Magic Man when he showed during the last election that he can tell at a glance who is vaccinated and who isn’t, and his recent certainty on “unacceptable views” only further justified the nickname to me, lol.

Trudeau is a dictator. 
    Trudeau is soft on crime. 
    Trudeau just wasn't ready. 
    Trudeau is a master at political doublespeak. 

I wonder when conservatives are going to make up their mind about this guy. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited May 2022
    Trudeau is a dictator. 
    Trudeau is soft on crime. 
    Trudeau just wasn't ready. 
    Trudeau is a master at political doublespeak. 

I wonder when conservatives are going to make up their mind about this guy. 
    Conservatives have no clue what direction they want to take their own party or who they want leading it.  They all seem to agree that Trudeau needs to go (I agree) but have no sense of direction or strategy on how to do it properly.  If they go with Pierre...  we'll be looking at Trudeau as our PM for another decade if he wants. 

Pierre (leading Conservative candidate) just did a 90 minute interview with Jordan Peterson of all people.  It was a good interview for the most part... and Pierre made a small handful of good points to his credit... beyond that handful was a Trudeau complaint fest based on the most ridiculous stuff. But if I was a Liberal... I would take that interview and put it in my back pocket and then use it to absolutely burn him in a race. The one exchange that absolutely floored me:

Peterson to Pierre: "Why do people like you? Why do so many people attend your rallies?" 
    Pierre: "Because I speak plainly to people. I speak plain, Anglo-Saxon english to people and that gives them hope." 

And just like that..... you're done in Canada, goof. Canada is not interested in a populist Trump wannabe. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    Trudeau cancels fundraising appearance in Surrey after protesters show up, hurling racial slurs at attendees, volunteers. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/trudeau-cancels-surrey-appearance-1.6464856
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

It appears I’m actually in agreement with the Magic Man, seems he doesn’t approve of counter-protests since all it does is fan the flames.

Also, I can find no proof of the supposed racist slurs yelled out (unless “Trudeau has to go!” is somehow racist). The current Liberal Party doesn’t have any credibility to me so I need corroboration.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/trudeau-cancels-surrey-appearance-1.6464856

my favourite part: 

He says it's unclear what the group was actually protesting

shocking. do these folks EVER know what they're so angry about?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited May 2022
    my favourite part: 

Nope! They are just angry! I truly believe that, at the core of everything, both here and in the US, it is about racism (and I'd be saying that even if this particular group of trucker losers hadn't been spewing racist insults at these poor people).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    my favourite part: 

Doesn’t seem any attempt was made to gain any understanding, that might have garnered some information. But why dialogue when it’s so easy to slander.

my favourite part: 

Doesn’t seem any attempt was made to gain any understanding, that might have garnered some information. But why dialogue when it’s so easy to slander.
    Are you suggesting they should have tried to gain understanding and garner information from and dialogue with a mob screaming racist slurs at them?

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    my favourite part: 

Are you suggesting they should have tried to gain understanding and garner information from and dialogue with a mob screaming racist slurs at them?

First, I pointed out the only proof of racist slurs is a member of the Liberals, so I take their word with more than a few grains of salt (maybe a whole silo, lol).

If we ever want to move forward from this hardening of stances, BOTH sides need to start listening. Unless you’re suggesting I ignore the other side because I get dismissed as a Nazi because I openly support the Conservatives?

edited May 2022
    PJ_Soul said:
    my favourite part: 

First, I pointed out the only proof of racist slurs is a member of the Liberals, so I take their word with more than a few grains of salt (maybe a whole silo, lol).

If we ever want to move forward from this hardening of stances, BOTH sides need to start listening. Unless you’re suggesting I ignore the other side because I get dismissed as a Nazi because I openly support the Conservatives?

All I am suggesting is that racist fucks don't need to be listened to. They should be dismissed outright. I will also argue that these trucker convoy yahoos are fueled by racism at the root of everything - they don't even know wtf they are protesting at all, so I don't see why they should be listened to either. I don't think it's productive to listen to nonsense. I'm not talking Liberals/Conservatives here. I am talking trucker convoy morons.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    edited May 2022
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my favourite part: 

All I am suggesting is that racist fucks don't need to be listened to. They should be dismissed outright. I will also argue that these trucker convoy yahoos are fueled by racism at the root of everything - they don't even know wtf they are protesting at all, so I don't see why they should be listened to either. I don't think it's productive to listen to nonsense. I'm not talking Liberals/Conservatives here. I am talking trucker convoy morons.
    Fair enough, I’ll continue seeking to understand which means (for me) not being dismissive of anyone, regardless of their stated views. I firmly believe that if you want someone to not change their stance, ignore them and you’re virtually guaranteed success. You and I can agree to disagree on this point.

Edit: Obviously I strongly disagree with your assertion that the convoy protests were rooted in racism, and again I trust we can agree to disagree.
    Post edited by DarthMaeglin on

PJ_Soul said:
    my favourite part: 

one of them was holding a noose. that can't really be interpreted any other way, can it?

what liberal said anything racist? I didn't see your post about that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

"did you just call me a raghead? sorry sir, I don't know what you're angry about, but please, let me buy you a coffee and and we can discuss". 

fuck that. racists who be racisming don't need to be listened to. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD