***Petition: PJ, Please Play A Tragically Hip Song In Ottawa***

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
    excellent choice D. Love it. would fit Ed's vocal delivery perfectly. the explosion on the downbeat of "....swings!" if they brought the house lights up at that moment would be awesome. 

Ed could totally do this cover. 
  • That night in Toronto…………

• Did I miss anything while away bump?
  • erebuserebus Posts: 549
    "one of my bigger regrets is not being able to convince a buddy of mine to go check them out on the Fully Completely full album anniversary tour in Minneapolis. they were playing a 700 seat club. He wouldn't do it. man that would have been incredible. "

I was at this show at First Avenue.  I swear it was all Canadians. It seemed like tickets were to be had right up to show time.
    I couldn't believe they were playing such a small venue. 
    HFD, you missed out on an outstanding Hip show
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    erebus said:
    "one of my bigger regrets is not being able to convince a buddy of mine to go check them out on the Fully Completely full album anniversary tour in Minneapolis. they were playing a 700 seat club. He wouldn't do it. man that would have been incredible. "

I was at this show at First Avenue.  I swear it was all Canadians. It seemed like tickets were to be had right up to show time.
    I couldn't believe they were playing such a small venue. 
    HFD, you missed out on an outstanding Hip show
    haha, thanks the salt in the wound. lol

glad you go to go. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    if the great men without hats can do it, so can PJ
    we can dance if we want to

I had no idea Men Without Hats were canadian! 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• erebuserebus Posts: 549
    So I told my coworker, who is a huge Hip fan that the lead singer for Men without Hats was replacing Gord and they were going out on tour. They were just trying to settle the name, Men without Hips or the Tragically Hats… he didn’t find it as funny as I did

the Blow at High Dough cover is not that great

1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • Not to derail the thread, but I can't believe that fully completely is 30 years old. Damn I feel old. Wheat Kings would be a beauty for an encore Jeff-Ed combo song.

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

Not to derail the thread, but I can't believe that fully completely is 30 years old. Damn I feel old. Wheat Kings would be a beauty for an encore Jeff-Ed combo song.

Indeed!

• LaFleurLaFleur Posts: 783
    Live at the Roxy on Sirius XM right now.  Been a LONG time since I listened to this show....so good!

Barrie - '98
    Toronto - '96, '00, '03, '05, '06, '16, '20, '22
    Ottawa - '16, '20, '22
    Hamilton - '20, '22
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    This would be a wonderful tribute. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • gibbitsgibbits Posts: 500
    Would love to see Jeff and the boys play Thugs, lots of room for Mike McCready to go nuts all over the top of that one.

Of course, even The Hip barely played Thugs, so it's probably not on the short list!

3 months to go bump!
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    Usually when this topic rises, my reaction is nah, Ed and Gord sound too different, but...

Just popped on Live at the Roxy. Brings back good memories of all those small venue shows in NYC rocking out hard with Ontarians visiting Gotham.

Roxy show starts with a bang, Little Bones please! Ed can do a great job with that!

Buck and a half!

https://music.apple.com/us/album/little-bones-live-at-the-roxy-may-3-1991/1621335855?i=1621335980&ls
    Let's make it happen!
  • Let’s get at least 1 hip cover in each Canadian city bump
  • NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    "Fiddler's Green" in a lower key would be *chef's kiss*
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • GP179117GP179117 Posts: 361
    How about 'Yer Not the Ocean' for all those CA cities along Lake Ontario   :smiley:
    Tempers are wearing thin. Let's hope some robot doesn't kill everybody.

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    I really hope they can pull this off!
    PJNB said:
    I really hope they can pull this off!

I hope so too.
    edited July 2022
    :)
  • NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    Arkells covered "Poets" at their Kingston show back in April. Max is obviously a very different vocalist than Ed, but they did a really good job of it. I don't think the Hip's necessarily the easiest band to cover, but this song suited them perfectly. (Also, now that the Hip aren't touring, I've started seeing a lot of Arkells shows, which is a surprise, but there you have it! They rule.)
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
    I agree with the Poets idea. I think Ed would be able to pull that one off solidly. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I agree with the Poets idea. I think Ed would be able to pull that one off solidly. 

Ed could pull anything off. Just hope he can take the challenge and cover one of their songs this September. 
    demetrios said:

Ed could pull anything off. Just hope he can take the challenge and cover one of their songs this September. 
    I disagree, actually. Their vocal registers and styles are quite different. Little Bones, for instance, I think would sound strange in Ed's voice. It would sound like a Vegas style crooner singing the Hip. 

It gets so sticky down heeayayayayayaya....

That being said, I'd be thrilled if they played literally ANYTHING by the Hip. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD