Options

Brothers say Jussie Smollett paid them to carry out alleged attack: sources

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    yeah, that was very odd. 
    As if he needed to be silenced or something. Dude's got a screw loose.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,237
    yeah, that was very odd. 
    He thinks he’s important enough that someone is gonna try to kill him. Trying to make people know he’s gonna be murdered.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    Yeah, that’s clear. Which makes it odd. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,013
    I don’t know if he thinks he’s that important. Seems like he wants even more media attention. This guys knows it’s the only way he’ll get in front of a camera for a while.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,018
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269
    Jussie Smollet has been released during his appeal process. I will joke about this being black privilege but in all reality, this is rich people privilege. It is not common to allow someone to be released while they go through their appeal process. Not only that, Jussie has zero remorse for what he did and still claims to be innocent. This guy deserved his sentencing which in all reality, he would only have to serve around 75 days.

Jussie Smollet did a disservice to all real hate crimes by faking his own. That should count for something. I understand that this doesn't mean his sentencing is going away and if the appeal process fails, he will go right back to jail. This is not equal justice.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    The worst thing about this guy is he totally would’ve let two random white guys take the fall. Like, if there were some guys in the area that fit the description of his so-called “attackers” and they were arrested. You think he’d say “No it wasn’t them”? Please. He’d let them go down. They’d probably be publicly called white supremacists by Biden or Harris before even going to trial, and even if acquitted, they’d have their lives ruined. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    JB16057 said:
    Jussie Smollet has been released during his appeal process. I will joke about this being black privilege but in all reality, this is rich people privilege. It is not common to allow someone to be released while they go through their appeal process. Not only that, Jussie has zero remorse for what he did and still claims to be innocent. This guy deserved his sentencing which in all reality, he would only have to serve around 75 days.

Jussie Smollet did a disservice to all real hate crimes by faking his own. That should count for something. I understand that this doesn't mean his sentencing is going away and if the appeal process fails, he will go right back to jail. This is not equal justice.
    agree 100%
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    The worst thing about this guy is he totally would’ve let two random white guys take the fall. Like, if there were some guys in the area that fit the description of his so-called “attackers” and they were arrested. You think he’d say “No it wasn’t them”? Please. He’d let them go down. They’d probably be publicly called white supremacists by Biden or Harris before even going to trial, and even if acquitted, they’d have their lives ruined. 
    Harris and Biden doing that was wrong, obviously, in hindsight, but you gotta admit, this is kinda unprecedented. How many people, especially semi-famous people, have been caught FAKING A HATE CRIME. that's just absurd. there was really no reason to not believe this guy, until soon after when the facts started to seem fishy (sure, the "wearing maga hats" seemed a tad too convenient, but not unbelievable). 

I'm sure they've learned from this. But you have to put it all in context. This, to them, was an easy get at the black vote, and they hadn't entered the race yet. this was a no-brainer politically speaking. It just happened to end up the exact opposite of that, which I don't think anyone could have seen coming. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827
    JB16057 said:

Actually, release on bail pending appeal is not uncommon. Not all states allow it but where it is allowed it is typically in situations where the crime was nonviolent, there is likely little risk to the community, the individual is seen as a low flight risk and the sentence given was short. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,609
    Oh, gee, look who's out of jail. I wonder if she'll be released pending appeal of her conviction? And from 2016, she's been out free, walking around. Hmmmmmmmm.

During a virtual detention hearing, U.S. Magistrate Judge Jeremy D. Peterson had agreed with Papini's attorney that she wasn't a flight risk or a threat to the community.

She was arrested Thursday  on charges of lying to federal agents about being kidnapped and defrauding the state's victim compensation board of $30,000.

She told authorities at the time she was kidnapped at gunpoint by two Hispanic women, even providing descriptions to the FBI along with extensive details of her purported abduction. Sketches of the alleged captors were even released by the FBI

Authorities said she was actually staying with a former boyfriend nearly 600 miles away from her home in Orange County, in Southern California, and hurt herself to back up her false statements.

"When a young mother went missing in broad daylight, a community was filled with fear and concern," U.S. Attorney Phillip Talbert said in a statement. "Ultimately, the investigation revealed that there was no kidnapping and that time and resources that could have been used to investigate actual crime, protect the community, and provide resources to victims were wasted."

Prosecutors and the Shasta County Sheriff's Office say Papini's abduction hoax cost Shasta County, state and federal taxpayers, crime victims and donors more than $200,000.

Sherri Papini, California woman charged with faking her kidnapping, released from jail - CBS News

Sherri Papini, California woman whose disappearance set off 3-week search in 2016, accused of faking kidnapping and defrauding state - CBS News

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    edited March 2022
    Harris and Biden doing that was wrong, obviously, in hindsight, but you gotta admit, this is kinda unprecedented. How many people, especially semi-famous people, have been caught FAKING A HATE CRIME. that's just absurd. there was really no reason to not believe this guy, until soon after when the facts started to seem fishy (sure, the "wearing maga hats" seemed a tad too convenient, but not unbelievable). 

I'm sure they've learned from this. But you have to put it all in context. This, to them, was an easy get at the black vote, and they hadn't entered the race yet. this was a no-brainer politically speaking. It just happened to end up the exact opposite of that, which I don't think anyone could have seen coming. 
    But there's a precedent for alleged crimes getting national attention. Yet prior to recently, politicians (or candidates) at the highest level of government didn't really comment on them. It'd be like Clinton commenting on JonBenet Ramsey, or Obama on Casey Anthony. 

Not that this is unique to this situation. The Kyle Rittenhouse incident was similar. That night hadn't even ended and Biden was already calling him a white supremacist, and Trump was already praising him as some sort of hero. Both were wrong, but neither care, because it's all about influencing your idiot supporters. And no, I don't think everyone that supports Biden or Trump is an idiot. But anyone that can influenced by them certainly is....and they count on that. Like the line I bolded about the black vote, they (Biden/Harris) probably really thought that to not condemn (or if they waited to condemn) this "hate crime," it would put them in the bad graces of black people. That's ridiculous of course, but in the post George 
    Floyd-world, it might be true. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options

But there's a precedent for alleged crimes getting national attention. Yet prior to recently, politicians (or candidates) at the highest level of government didn't really comment on them. It'd be like Clinton commenting on JonBenet Ramsey, or Obama on Casey Anthony. 

Not that this is unique to this situation. The Kyle Rittenhouse incident was similar. That night hadn't even ended and Biden was already calling him a white supremacist, and Trump was already praising him as some sort of hero. Both were wrong, but neither care, because it's all about influencing your idiot supporters. And no, I don't think everyone that supports Biden or Trump is an idiot. But anyone that can influenced by them certainly is....and they count on that. Like the line I bolded about the black vote, they (Biden/Harris) probably really thought that to not condemn (or if they waited to condemn) this "hate crime," it would put them in the bad graces of black people. That's ridiculous of course, but in the post George Floyd-world, it might be true. 
    I 100% believe that is definitely a consideration, which is unfortunate, because I honestly feel this is where these premature statements come from. ya gotta be the first to comment, and ya better be right. it's stupid. and it's not the average person that would care on their own. it's the blowhards on tv that would feed them the outrage they'd dine on that night. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Oh, gee, look who's out of jail. I wonder if she'll be released pending appeal of her conviction? And from 2016, she's been out free, walking around. Hmmmmmmmm.

During a virtual detention hearing, U.S. Magistrate Judge Jeremy D. Peterson had agreed with Papini's attorney that she wasn't a flight risk or a threat to the community.

She was arrested Thursday  on charges of lying to federal agents about being kidnapped and defrauding the state's victim compensation board of $30,000.

She told authorities at the time she was kidnapped at gunpoint by two Hispanic women, even providing descriptions to the FBI along with extensive details of her purported abduction. Sketches of the alleged captors were even released by the FBI

Authorities said she was actually staying with a former boyfriend nearly 600 miles away from her home in Orange County, in Southern California, and hurt herself to back up her false statements.

"When a young mother went missing in broad daylight, a community was filled with fear and concern," U.S. Attorney Phillip Talbert said in a statement. "Ultimately, the investigation revealed that there was no kidnapping and that time and resources that could have been used to investigate actual crime, protect the community, and provide resources to victims were wasted."

Prosecutors and the Shasta County Sheriff's Office say Papini's abduction hoax cost Shasta County, state and federal taxpayers, crime victims and donors more than $200,000.

Sherri Papini, California woman charged with faking her kidnapping, released from jail - CBS News

Sherri Papini, California woman whose disappearance set off 3-week search in 2016, accused of faking kidnapping and defrauding state - CBS News

I don’t see the connection with this and Jussie? Jussie’s was found guilty and sentenced and is on appeal. This woman hasn’t had a trial and is out on bond pre-trial. Majority of people get offered bond pre-trial. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,787
    edited March 2022
    mace1229 said:

I don’t see the connection with this and Jussie? Jussie’s was found guilty and sentenced and is on appeal. This woman hasn’t had a trial and is out on bond pre-trial. Majority of people get offered bond pre-trial. 
    Yea. Exactly. Not sure how that post connects to the “modern day lynching” that was being discussed. Why does one feel the need to counter with a different story? Weird mindset. Talk about a whataboutism  
    Post edited by nicknyr15 on
  • Options
    I guess we’ll have to wait and see whether she goes to trial, gets convicted and is released pending trial? I mean, it’s only been 6 years since the “offense.” But sure, nothing to see here. Guess I should have posted it in the White Privilege thread?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    I guess we’ll have to wait and see whether she goes to trial, gets convicted and is released pending trial? I mean, it’s only been 6 years since the “offense.” But sure, nothing to see here. Guess I should have posted it in the White Privilege thread?
    If you want to compare this to Jussie, then yes.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    I already am. White woman in CA has been out for 6 years. Jussie's arrest, trial, conviction and sentence to prison took all of 3 years. 

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    I already am. White woman in CA has been out for 6 years. Jussie's arrest, trial, conviction and sentence to prison took all of 3 years. 
    OK but it took 3-4 years to figure out that the white woman was lying. Didn't we know in the same year that it happened that Jussie was lying? Even after we found out he was lying, Kim Foxx, Cook County State's Attorney, refused to charge Jussie with a crime. Much like Jussie, she is still denying the reality of what happened. She is doubling down on his innocence. After being sentenced, she called the prosecution of the actor "damaging, costly and disingenuous". She lambasted the court proceedings as mob justice and politically motivated kangaroo prosecution.

The whole thing is just sickening. How many political officials have stood up for the white woman? She should've been charged 6 years ago but officials didn't know she was lying for until a couple years ago.

This white woman didn't do the damage to race relations in America like Jussie did. That is the much bigger crime here. If Jussie admitted what he did and showed remorse, I'd have no problem with him not getting jail time and only having to pay the fine. Instead, he is doubling down on his innocence and he has political leaders pushing that same narrative.

It also looks like the white woman had to give up her passport and pay a bond to be released from prison. Jussie didn't have to give up his passport nor did he have to pay a bond. He was released on a personal recognizance bond which means he didn't have to put up any money. Obviously, the white woman is a flight risk because of her behavior. She is also having to undergo psychiatric treatment. In my opinion, Jussie is also a flight risk and he has the money and political backing to do whatever he wants when he wants.

Is it white privilege that made the release of the white woman so much harsher than Jussie's release?
  • Options
    Source: Random online meme
  • Options
    JB16057 said:
    mace1229 said:
    OK but it took 3-4 years to figure out that the white woman was lying. Didn't we know in the same year that it happened that Jussie was lying? Even after we found out he was lying, Kim Foxx, Cook County State's Attorney, refused to charge Jussie with a crime. Much like Jussie, she is still denying the reality of what happened. She is doubling down on his innocence. After being sentenced, she called the prosecution of the actor "damaging, costly and disingenuous". She lambasted the court proceedings as mob justice and politically motivated kangaroo prosecution.

The whole thing is just sickening. How many political officials have stood up for the white woman? She should've been charged 6 years ago but officials didn't know she was lying for until a couple years ago.

This white woman didn't do the damage to race relations in America like Jussie did. That is the much bigger crime here. If Jussie admitted what he did and showed remorse, I'd have no problem with him not getting jail time and only having to pay the fine. Instead, he is doubling down on his innocence and he has political leaders pushing that same narrative.

It also looks like the white woman had to give up her passport and pay a bond to be released from prison. Jussie didn't have to give up his passport nor did he have to pay a bond. He was released on a personal recognizance bond which means he didn't have to put up any money. Obviously, the white woman is a flight risk because of her behavior. She is also having to undergo psychiatric treatment. In my opinion, Jussie is also a flight risk and he has the money and political backing to do whatever he wants when he wants.

Is it white privilege that made the release of the white woman so much harsher than Jussie's release?
    It’s White privilege to be believed from the get go and not be criticized for making a racially charged allegation, as well as for charges to be levied 6 years after the crime is committed. A crime that includes theft from the crime victims compensation fund, on top of everything else. What if your wife, daughter, sister looked like one of the FBI composite drawings and had been arrested and held overnight or for a weekend? “Justice” is supposed to be blind and it isn’t.

Have you read through the comments starting on page one?

Meanwhile, I look forward to Jussie staring in the Hallmark miniseries of his events, thus revitalizing his acting career.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    JB16057 said:
    mace1229 said:

It’s White privilege to be believed from the get go and not be criticized for making a racially charged allegation, as well as for charges to be levied 6 years after the crime is committed. A crime that includes theft from the crime victims compensation fund, on top of everything else. What if your wife, daughter, sister looked like one of the FBI composite drawings and had been arrested and held overnight or for a weekend? “Justice” is supposed to be blind and it isn’t.

Have you read through the comments starting on page one?

Meanwhile, I look forward to Jussie staring in the Hallmark miniseries of his events, thus revitalizing his acting career.
    How is it white privilege to not be believed from the get go? In your world, we can call what happen to Jussie black privilege because we believed him from the get go too, correct?. Fair is fair.....  Also, you might be mistaken. I believe it is "innocent until proven guilty", not "guilty until proven innocent".

Remember, it was only a couple of weeks after the Smollett  "attack" that authorities found out who the 2 Nigerians were and had their full statements and cooperation. We didn't have that with the white woman from California.... It took authorities years to figure that out and somehow that's white privilege?

I do appreciate your Hallmark miniseries joke though! That's a good one!