• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,700
    Fuck this guy. Glad he got convicted. 
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499

Hahaha!  Excellent!
  • Options
    I don’t want everyone to get all up in arms, but remember when Harris called this “a modern day lynching” ? Sometimes it’s good to wait for the facts to come out before you speak. That goes for anyone. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    nicknyr15 said:
    I don’t want everyone to get all up in arms, but remember when Harris called this “a modern day lynching” ? Sometimes it’s good to wait for the facts to come out before you speak. That goes for anyone. 
    yeah, I think at the time, despite what Don Jr wants everyone to believe, was that it didn't cross anyone's mind that this could have been a set up. Sure, it unraveled pretty quickly, but when the news broke of it first happening, it sounded legitimately horrifying and something out of a third world country. 

But I'm sure you're right; she'll probably hold her tongue next time. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    yeah, I think at the time, despite what Don Jr wants everyone to believe, was that it didn't cross anyone's mind that this could have been a set up. Sure, it unraveled pretty quickly, but when the news broke of it first happening, it sounded legitimately horrifying and something out of a third world country. 

There’s a knee jerk reaction to get your thought out immediately, which sometimes backfires. We’ve seen it happen a few times lately. She wasn’t the only one. There’s plenty of absolutely ridiculous tweets from politicians when this first went down. 
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    edited December 2021
    I don't lose any sleep about what turned out to be misplaced outrage because there were no suspects. Nobody's life was ruined. I don't think it was that unreasonable to take him at his word. Congrats to him, though; nothing like this will ever be believed again if it's not recorded. He has made sure that his name will come up almost every time a hate crime is alleged.
    Post edited by OnWis97 on
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    Has it helped his career?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    I don't lose any sleep about what turned out to be misplaced outrage because there were  no suspects. Nobody's life was ruined. I don't think it was that unreasonable to take him at his word.  Congrats to him, though, nothing like that will ever be believed again if it's not recorded. He's assure that his name will come up almost every time a hate crime is accused.
    By far, the worst part. Congrats Juicy. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    I don't lose any sleep about what turned out to be misplaced outrage because there were  no suspects. Nobody's life was ruined. I don't think it was that unreasonable to take him at his word.  Congrats to him, though, nothing like that will ever be believed again if it's not recorded. He's assure that his name will come up almost every time a hate crime is accused.
    By far, the worst part. Congrats Juicy. 
    Yeah, but the second worst part is my writing. Geez. Excuse me; gotta go edit.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    The other thing was that it was just plain stupid. High-risk / low-reward. Let's say he's forever believed...what's he really get out of it? Some sympathy? The risk is obvious, as he's suffering from it right now.

Or maybe the reward was that he thought he'd call some attention to hate crimes. Again, a little, but the ability for the "assault" on him to really move towards any action is nothing compared to the ability for this to set the discussion back decades. Outrageously stupid.
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

There’s a knee jerk reaction to get your thought out immediately, which sometimes backfires. We’ve seen it happen a few times lately. She wasn’t the only one. There’s plenty of absolutely ridiculous tweets from politicians when this first went down. 
    there's also a ton of pressure from leaders to make a statement on something so serious, especially the first VP of colour. in her situation, it would have been seen as weak or even a betrayal to say "I'll reserve comment until we have more information". so she really, politically, had no choice. unfortunately she got it wrong. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    edited December 2021
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

there's also a ton of pressure from leaders to make a statement on something so serious, especially the first VP of colour. in her situation, it would have been seen as weak or even a betrayal to say "I'll reserve comment until we have more information". so she really, politically, had no choice. unfortunately she got it wrong. 
    I quick “I got it wrong and I condemn this “ tweet would go a long way. However , this never happens from any leader. Which is unfortunate.   

And she wasn’t the only one who got it wrong. 
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725
    edited December 2021
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

A betrayal of what exactly? 

I dunno, I think her and everyone in a similar position (Biden, Trump, etc) SHOULD reserve comment until they have more information on all criminal cases. She was a state's attorney general. Shouldn't she act like one? Like when Biden had a sexual assault allegation against him a year ago from a former staffer, Harris just flat-out said she believed the accuser. Not that the accuser had any evidence. But Biden was her political opponent at the time, so sure, let's convict him as a sexual assailant in the court of public opinion. No big deal. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,992
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Hi could see your point of feeling the need to comment. And the first day or two there was no reason to believe it was a hoax, so it probably wouldnt have occurred to say let’s let the the investigation play out, although I don’t see how it would be a betrayal if they had. Everyone should be looking for facts and holding judgement until their out shouldn’t be a big deal.
    But it only took a couple days before his story started to fall apart. And now with the conviction they should be as outspoken now as they were then. Condemning his hoax, calling out the damage he’s going to cause future victims and so on. It’s not the standing up for him 2 years ago I disagree with, it’s the silence now. If they’ve commented on it, I haven’t heard.
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I dunno, I think her and everyone in a similar position (Biden, Trump, etc) SHOULD reserve comment until they have more information on all criminal cases. She was a state's attorney general. Shouldn't she act like one? Like when Biden had a sexual assault allegation against him a year ago from a former staffer, Harris just flat-out said she believed the accuser. Not that the accuser had any evidence. But Biden was her political opponent at the time, so sure, let's convict him as a sexual assailant in the court of public opinion. No big deal. 
    being a woman of colour in power, I think it could have been viewed by that community as "siding with the racists". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    PJPOWER said:
    why in the fuck did they spend so much resources on one person's claim of a hate crime? 

Chicago's Department of Law noted in the suit that more than two dozen police officers and detectives spent weeks working on Smollett's case in 2019, resulting in 1,836 overtime hours

It’s ridiculous however I’ve got old, white next door neighbours who do pretty much the same stuff just in reverse. Moved from the suburbs a few years ago to quite a nice street in the city but apparently it’s really scary.

I’ve got a list a mile long of absurd police calls to our street.  Never once has a police response been about an actual crime nor has any police response has anything to do with anything other than race. The police literally came last week when her lawn guy was mowing the yard. She saw him on her ring camera and “didn’t recognise him”

il glad that guy got convicted. Just wish my neighbours would too.  The uproar is odd to me as this happens all the time it’s just usually a different group doing the reporting.

How is this even a story? It shouldn’t be 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

being a woman of colour in power, I think it could have been viewed by that community as "siding with the racists". 
    I figured that's what you meant. And I think that's one the dumbest things I ever heard. Not you for saying it (because you're right), but the notion that 1) members of that community would view her negatively if she didn't say what she said and 2) the fact that she would concern herself with those opinions. 

I would've went with, "These are very concerning allegations and it needs to be investigated and blah blah blah." You know, typical contrived politician talk. Once you start talking about "modern day lynching'," you better have your facts straight. And thankfully, Jussie's "attackers" were nameless in his lie. You can say that "attackers" represented Trump voters (which was obviously Jussie's intent). But at least it wasn't a specific person named as the so-called attacker. Think of how unjustly that person's reputation would be dragged through the mud. Not unlike a fake rape allegation actually. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,677
    nicknyr15 said:7
    nicknyr15 said:

at the time she was a sitting senator not the vp....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    why in the fuck did they spend so much resources on one person's claim of a hate crime? 

Chicago's Department of Law noted in the suit that more than two dozen police officers and detectives spent weeks working on Smollett's case in 2019, resulting in 1,836 overtime hours
    They spent all those resources because of all the media and political attention. Which is another reason why I think all those who publicly supported him should call him out now. If you called this a hate crime and wanted justice, I wouldn’t blame you. But now you know it’s fake, send out a tweet that says @Jussie Hey douchebag, thanks for wasting everyone’s time and money and making it harder the next time someone actually suffers from a real hate crime to be believed.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:7
    nicknyr15 said:

at the time she was a sitting senator not the vp....
    she announced she was running for president 8 days prior. the point remains the same. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    One thing I haven’t heard much about was his defense. He still claims innocence, so does he deny it was the Nigerian bros, or is he saying he was framed by them? What did he claim the money was for and why did they meet up then?
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    One thing I haven’t heard much about was his defense. He still claims innocence, so does he deny it was the Nigerian bros, or is he saying he was framed by them? What did he claim the money was for and why did they meet up then?
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/dec/07/jussie-smollett-trial-witness-stand-claim-staged-attack-100-percent-false
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Haha. He says he was riding in a car to go work out together, but paid him $3500 for diet advice. I wish my friends gave me thousands of dollars for my advice, I should stop giving it out for free all the time.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Haha. He says he was riding in a car to go work out together, but paid him $3500 for diet advice. I wish my friends gave me thousands of dollars for my advice, I should stop giving it out for free all the time.
    me: stop eating doritos
    him: ok, thanks
    me: that'll be.....*checks notes*....$3000. 
    him: *puts noose around my neck*

maybe that's how it went down. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,677
    mace1229 said:
    me: stop eating doritos
    him: ok, thanks
    me: that'll be.....*checks notes*....$3000. 
    him: *puts noose around my neck*

maybe that's how it went down. 

was subway a part of that diet plan?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    lindamarie73lindamarie73 Posts: 344
    edited March 2022
    Jussie Doing some time???….I can’t believe it in todays day in age, especially how he hid behind Race, sexuality, MAGA nut jobs after him, Police Corruption, the list goes on….It sure was a pleasant outcome and diversion to thinking about the Travesty happening in the Ukraine.
    Does anyone feel Jussie is innocent and that this is a miscarriage of Jussie, I mean Justice?   Would love to hear your thoughts.    If you did not hear the judges thoughts on how he came to this judgement before he laid it on poor Jussie, it really worth a listen.   

Post edited by lindamarie73 on
  • Options

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    yeah, that was very odd. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    is it normal for a judge to go off script and talk about how the defendant shamed his family, lost respect of his colleagues, etc? I thought that was strange
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    is it normal for a judge to go off script and talk about how the defendant shamed his family, lost respect of his colleagues, etc? I thought that was strange
    I’m not sure how normal it is, but it didn’t strike me as odd. Watching Dateline and similar shows the judge will often have comments with his sentencing, but those are obviously bigger, higher profile cases. This was a high profile case, it would seem lacking if the judge handed out a sentence without any explanation. My guess is if there weren’t so many cameras and this was Joe Schmoe, his comments would have probably been shorter though.