The Golf Thread

Comments

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    That is awesome.  Hope to get there 1 day.  I know all the hype is on 16, but I like 17 even better.  Short, drivable par 4 with water down the left side.....was watching that on ESPN+ featured hole coverage last night.  Speaking of, PGA Tour Live moving to ESPN+ has been incredible.  Pretty much have a traditional broadcast going all day Thursday-Sunday now.  
    Schefler finally gets one!  And another ace on 16 today!  That was a highly entertaining tournament all around.  And I had Scheffler in my 1 and done pool....up to 6th place out of 65 people.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Schefler finally gets one!  And another ace on 16 today!  That was a highly entertaining tournament all around.  And I had Scheffler in my 1 and done pool....up to 6th place out of 65 people.
    Hell of a pick. I had hovland. Have missed 2 of 3 cuts 
    Hot take…Riviera 10 is the best hole on the PGA tour
    Oh yeah.  Absolutely love that hole.  Was shocked to see JT lay up on 10 today....but then he hit a perfect 2nd shot and birdied it.

My local course did a complete rehab a few years ago and a few of the holes are modeled after famous holes from all over the world.  They did one after the 10th at Riv...love playing that hole.

https://www.golfmtprospect.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/7776/2019/04/hole09.jpg
    Oh yeah.  Absolutely love that hole.  Was shocked to see JT lay up on 10 today....but then he hit a perfect 2nd shot and birdied it.

My local course did a complete rehab a few years ago and a few of the holes are modeled after famous holes from all over the world.  They did one after the 10th at Riv...love playing that hole.

That’s awesome. There’s a course in Maryland that is entirely modeled after famous holes. 

How good is this on 10?

I think there is still one potential league the PGA needs to deal with but awesome that Saudi is dead and holy shit Phil comes out looking worse than anyone 

That’s awesome. There’s a course in Maryland that is entirely modeled after famous holes. 

How good is this on 10?

I think there is still one potential league the PGA needs to deal with but awesome that Saudi is dead and holy shit Phil comes out looking worse than anyone 

Uhhhhh yeah, tough weekend for Phil.  A lot of tour players are pissed off at him and I'm sure the Saudis aren't happy with his comments either.  Dude is ruining his legacy with this nonsense.
  • I've played the 9th at Mt. Prospect several times, and didn't realize that's what they were going for.  I usually hit it right of the green, or short right, and have an easy chip and putt for birdie.  Which you absolutely can't do at Riv.  Great course though, love playing there.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    Interesting that DeChambeau picked the PGA (for now).  Perhaps it this was all just part of Mickleson's master plan to put pressure on the PGA.  Mickleson's interview and comments about how bad the Saudi regime is but being willing to work with them to force change on the PGA tour is ridiculous.  He should just come out and say he wants more money and doesn't care where it comes from?  

So far though, based on who has committed to the PGA, I can't think of any players worth watching on the Saudi tour.  
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Fuck that Saudi trash.  MSB is a criminal.  

And fuck Russia too, while we’re at it.  
    ddeschler said:
    I've played the 9th at Mt. Prospect several times, and didn't realize that's what they were going for.  I usually hit it right of the green, or short right, and have an easy chip and putt for birdie.  Which you absolutely can't do at Riv.  Great course though, love playing there.

Yeah it's a great course.  They keep it in really good shape and the prices aren't too bad.  The greens are pretty crazy but I play there so much I'm used to it by now.  I live about 6 blocks from there so I'm always over there practicing or playing.
    Interesting that DeChambeau picked the PGA (for now).  Perhaps it this was all just part of Mickleson's master plan to put pressure on the PGA.  Mickleson's interview and comments about how bad the Saudi regime is but being willing to work with them to force change on the PGA tour is ridiculous.  He should just come out and say he wants more money and doesn't care where it comes from?  

So far though, based on who has committed to the PGA, I can't think of any players worth watching on the Saudi tour.  

Yeah I don't know why the hell Phil said that stuff on the record if he was actually trying to make that work.  It has really been a bizarre few months for him.
    edited February 2022
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RlMQI2O1jgM

Rory being brutally honest.  Calls Phil out.

Nobody is trashing Phil but wonder if they feel like finally they can say what they want.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
    Rory is the best 
    No Laying Up talking about just how many people Phil has pissed off

Saudis
    PGA
    players who were going to stay
    players who were going to go
    Some fans
    Media
    sponsors

Who else is there? They also got into detail about how based on the Handbook, this should result in a significant suspension or ban. I don’t see that happening, but it basically checks off every box they highlight on “conduct unbecoming” 

Also, this book is apparently going to get into detail that he’s in a very bad financial situation and has had multiple people cover gambling losses.

Oh and Billy Walters might be writing a book too? This could get really ugly for him

Interesting.  It wouldn’t surprise me.  I imagine a gambling addict will continue to bet larger and larger amounts.
    edited February 2022
    If I am Phil I may not ever go back to Saudi Arabia.  Way to implode the league, Phil.  

To be fair to Phil, the US government feels it is okay to sell weapons to the Saudis.  That is a little worse than a golf league.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
    No Laying Up talking about just how many people Phil has pissed off

Saudis
    PGA
    players who were going to stay
    players who were going to go
    Some fans
    Media
    sponsors

Who else is there? They also got into detail about how based on the Handbook, this should result in a significant suspension or ban. I don’t see that happening, but it basically checks off every box they highlight on “conduct unbecoming” 

Also, this book is apparently going to get into detail that he’s in a very bad financial situation and has had multiple people cover gambling losses.

Oh and Billy Walters might be writing a book too? This could get really ugly for him

Uhh yeah I think Phil's financial situation is pretty bad.  He had to sell his Gulfstream a couple years ago and from all accounts he is complete degenerate gambler.  He's always crying about taxes....maybe don't live in California where the state tax is something absurd like 13% for the highest earners.  Go live in Florida like everyone else on tour!  Can't wait to read this book....
    Phil with a whole lot of words with this statement....

And he already lost KPMG as his sponsor.  Prob the first of many to cut ties with him....
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    And he already lost KPMG as his sponsor.  Prob the first of many to cut ties with him....
    Really? Ouch
    I wonder if his PGA suspension has already started.  He mentions taking time away.  The PGA will never announce a suspension publicly.  
    edited February 2022
    I wonder if his PGA suspension has already started.  He mentions taking time away.  The PGA will never announce a suspension publicly.  
    thats what I was thinking. Time away equals suspension to me 

hell of a statement. Can’t believe KPMG dropped him 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    To hear that Phil is in bad financial shape is hard to comprehend.  He must be gambling a shit ton of dough on a daily basis and losing all the time to piss away his career earnings.  Look at other degenerate gamblers like Barkley (I’d include Jordan but he’s on a different wealth level).  If he didn’t go broke, how does Phil?  Crazy. 
    bbiggs said:
    To hear that Phil is in bad financial shape is hard to comprehend.  He must be gambling a shit ton of dough on a daily basis and losing all the time to piss away his career earnings.  Look at other degenerate gamblers like Barkley (I’d include Jordan but he’s on a different wealth level).  If he didn’t go broke, how does Phil?  Crazy. 
    Cocaine is a helluva drug.

I would still be surprised that he isn’t in great financial shape even with all of the gambling.  Crazy if he isn’t.  Sad for his family if that is the case.  A shame no one has stepped in (or successfully stepped in) to convince him to change his ways.

He sure puts on a front though that he has everything together.
    bbiggs said:
    Cocaine is a helluva drug.

I would still be surprised that he isn’t in great financial shape even with all of the gambling.  Crazy if he isn’t.  Sad for his family if that is the case.  A shame no one has stepped in (or successfully stepped in) to convince him to change his ways.

He sure puts on a front though that he has everything together.
    Right..bad financial shape is all relative. Boo hoo he had to sell his jet, but was listening to people say that that jet was his 4th kid and he never wanted to sell it. He's also building a massive place in Florida apparently, so again, all relative.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Definitely relative.  I didn't know that he was in any "financial strain," let alone to what level.  If he's building a mansion and simply had to unload the jet, I'd say he's doing just fine.  It would be really hard to piss away the fortune he's amassed by gambling, even for Eddie Mush.
  • Can't wait to read Shipnuck's book.  Maybe not just gambling debts, but also IRS and SEC?  Probably was hoping to settle all that for cents on the dollar, then rebuild with the Saudi money.  Wonder what plan B is.  Maybe he can get some appearance fees to play in Asia during his "leave of absence" from the PGA Tour.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
    I don’t really understand the whole sponsor thing with Phil. The Asian/European tour are in bed with the Saudis and nothing, and what Phil said was pretty gross, but kinda ridiculous to support those tours who have actually taken money and cut Phil off who just said some pretty shitty things.

I get the PGA tour side of things, not sponsors 
    I don’t really understand the whole sponsor thing with Phil. The Asian/European tour are in bed with the Saudis and nothing, and what Phil said was pretty gross, but kinda ridiculous to support those tours who have actually taken money and cut Phil off who just said some pretty shitty things.

I get the PGA tour side of things, not sponsors 
    I can think of two possible reasons:

1) Phil's character took a nose dive and sponsors don't want to pay someone that isn't liked.  

2) Phil offended the Saudis too.  If you do business in Saudi Arabia then maybe you don't want to sponsor someone who is bashing Saudi Arabia.  Just a theory as have no clue if sponsors are doing business in SA.