The Golf Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Will be interesting to see what comes of this new competing tour.  The general public usually doesn't care much for rich people complaining they aren't paid enough.  

If the US is still selling weapons to Saudi Arabia then I can't fault these people too much for taking the money from them.  
    And it begins.  Mickleson calls the tour greedy and Koepka calls Mickleson greedy.

I think Mickleson is a big phony.  I don’t know him personally obviously but he is all about greed and himself.
    Right...being greedy is literally his thing. I think he is a lot more real than he used to be.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    Will be interesting to see what comes of this new competing tour.  The general public usually doesn't care much for rich people complaining they aren't paid enough.  

If the US is still selling weapons to Saudi Arabia then I can't fault these people too much for taking the money from them.  
    And it begins.  Mickleson calls the tour greedy and Koepka calls Mickleson greedy.

I think Mickleson is a big phony.  I don’t know him personally obviously but he is all about greed and himself.
    Right...being greedy is literally his thing. I think he is a lot more real than he used to be.
    Sure he's greedy.  But so is the PGA.  He has a point on the digital rights.  So it's a good question as to whether the tour should own them or whether the independent contractors (the players) have some right to them as well.  The question isn't whether the money is more deserved to Phil or the Little Sisters of the Poor, but between two fabulously rich parties. 
    mrussel1 said:

Sure he's greedy.  But so is the PGA.  He has a point on the digital rights.  So it's a good question as to whether the tour should own them or whether the independent contractors (the players) have some right to them as well.  The question isn't whether the money is more deserved to Phil or the Little Sisters of the Poor, but between two fabulously rich parties. 
    He said the PGA is sitting in $20 BILLION 
    mrussel1 said:

Right so I don't see Phil as the bad guy here.  
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

He’s full of shit. They are not sitting on $20 billion
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I have no idea what the market value of their assets are.  20 billion is a big number but it's not an out of this world number.  Amazon made 14 billion last quarter alone.  
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I have no idea what the market value of their assets are.  20 billion is a big number but it's not an out of this world number.  Amazon made 14 billion last quarter alone.  
    Right. The PGA is not Amazon 
    Not to be dramatic, but that spieth shot was irresponsible 
    This is also a truly comical broadcast 
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    Yeah he definitely should've went 8 iron there.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    For those that have been to Bandon Dunes, how do you get to the resort/ courses? I had a friend trying to tell me the only way is via private jet and I laughed at him and said he’s a moron. I know he’s wrong, but can someone clarify how you actually get in and out of this place?  Rent a car? If so how far from the airport? 
    Yeah he definitely should've went 8 iron there.
    Lol
    bbiggs said:
    For those that have been to Bandon Dunes, how do you get to the resort/ courses? I had a friend trying to tell me the only way is via private jet and I laughed at him and said he’s a moron. I know he’s wrong, but can someone clarify how you actually get in and out of this place?  Rent a car? If so how far from the airport? 
    I believe the move is Portland then it’s a 4 hour drive
  • ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 624
    edited February 2022
    We flew to Portland and rented a car.  There is a flight on United from SF to North Bend airport (aka Southwest Oregon Regional Airport), which is a 1/2 hr drive from the resort.  You can arrange a shuttle from there, and shuttle around the resort.  Wouldn't need a rental car.  This is a smaller plane though (which can be canceled if weather isn't ideal), and service is seasonal, not resuming until April. 
    Post edited by ddeschler on
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
    bbiggs said:
    Oh shit.  A four hour drive?!  That's no joke when you're on a golf trip and four hours could be another round of golf.  I wonder if small prop planes can get in and out of there, and if so what the cost would be.  I'm sure something outrageous if it can even be done.

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    edited February 2022
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    Oh shit.  A four hour drive?!  That's no joke when you're on a golf trip and four hours could be another round of golf.  I wonder if small prop planes can get in and out of there, and if so what the cost would be.  I'm sure something outrageous if it can even be done.

You can also fly into Eugene which is a 2.5 drive.  That is my plan for next year.

it is a nice 2.5 drive with nice scenery.  Flying from east coast you can definitely get 18 holes on the day of arrival.  Day of departure would be tough to squeeze in 18 when flying back to east coast.

I did the 4 hour drive last year from Portland.  All part of the ambience.  You are in the middle of nowhere. Playing golf on the ocean and that is the only reason you are there.

Book as early as possible.  I have booked a few Bandon trips now.  If you have any general questions let me know.  I would read the book, Dream Golf before you go to get a sense of the history of the place. 

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
    ^ Thanks.  I'm all for the lengthier drive to soak up the surroundings.  Like you said, I've always been told it is like getting dropped in the middle of nowhere to play world class golf.  Can't wait to get there someday.
    edited February 2022
    I would not be surprised at all if the peak season of 2023 is almost fully booked at Bandon. At least the lodging.  Plan ahead so that you can get the lodging that works and the tee times picked so you can get 36 in a day.

I liked staying on property as obviously super convenient and nicer than the motels in the town.  I stayed a few nights in the town as well as fully booked at the resort.  I liked that too but the lodging options aren’t the greatest and the food options aren’t great in the evening when you are done with golf.

Got a spreadsheet itinerary for a trip with four people next year if you want it.  Nothing special.  Has all pricing, scheduling, etc... so makes it easy to share with the group or people you are recruiting for the trip.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
    ^ You're probably right, which means we better act now if we want any shot at a 2023 trip.  Assuming everyone is on board, the hope would be to stay on the property for the duration.  If you don't mind passing that itinerary spreadsheet on, that would be great.  I'll PM you.
    Pebble Beach.  Great tv golf.
    What an eagle putt for Varner to clinch the W.  

Surprised to see Spieth lose after being up 2 that late.
    spieth cliff shot - YouTube

Craziness.  What is % of falling off there?  Maybe 1 out 100 at most?  Still though, pretty dangerous. 
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    Just got back from a golf weekend in West Palm Beach.  63 holes in 3 days.  My whole body hurts. But man, it doesn't get much better than having an annual golf trip with great friends every year.  Good times.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Augusta Golf Club story.

Long post- I'll try and keep it as short as possible. Told to me yesterday by the golf Pro at work. I can't verify if it's a real story or not, but the Pro was adamant it was true as he has a good friend that gets invited to play there often. It could be total BS, but if not, it's very cool.

Goes like this:

A guest of a member got a hole in one on the 12th. As no photos are allowed, he didn't get a picture, nor could he celebrate in the bar after.
    A few weeks later, Augusta commisioned a painting of the 12th with his name on a plaque on the frame citing his hole in one. They sent it to him with a bill of $32,000 for the painting as it was made custom by a local artist. 

He's apparently not very wealthy, and was like, f this, I'm not spending money on this and considered sending it back. After talking to family and friends, he decided to keep it as it would be an amazing piece of memorabillia to have for years to come. In the end, he forked out the 32k and sent a check to Augusta.

Apparently it was a test. Upon receiving the check, they made him a full member of Augusta Golf Club.

Again, completely unverified, but I thought I would share it.

That is one of those stories that is hard to believe but also hard not to believe.  Thanks for sharing!  
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    Just got back from a golf weekend in West Palm Beach.  63 holes in 3 days.  My whole body hurts. But man, it doesn't get much better than having an annual golf trip with great friends every year.  Good times.
    I live here in West Palm Beach, if you don’t mind me asking but where did you play?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    g under p said:
    I live here in West Palm Beach, if you don’t mind me asking but where did you play?

Peace

We played at the Palm Beach par 3 course that's right on the water.....way overpriced but beautiful views.  Then we played Palm Beach National and Madison Green.  Really like Palm Beach National.  Madison Green is a nice course design but not in the best shape.  Any course recommendations for the area?  We'll definitely be coming back next year.  Also, the Palm Beach airport is probably my favorite airport I've ever flown in/out of.  Get through security in about 3 mins.  
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    Went with JT this week for one and done. You guys?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,872
    Went with JT this week for one and done. You guys?
    I went with Xander. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
    Got a suite on the 18th this weekend. First time at this event.  Crazy party.