The Golf Thread

Comments

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    Umm how about that 3 wood from Hideki last week in the playoff to win the Sony Open???  280 to 3 feet for an eagle.  That was incredible.  If his putting stays at average/above average he is going to win a lot.  Has won 3 out of his last 18 going back to The Masters.  
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    Umm how about that 3 wood from Hideki last week in the playoff to win the Sony Open???  280 to 3 feet for an eagle.  That was incredible.  If his putting stays at average/above average he is going to win a lot.  Has won 3 out of his last 18 going back to The Masters.  
    Incredible is right.  What a back nine he played. 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    Amazing how he can hit a shot like that with playoff pressure. Practice and muscle memory,
    and then nerves of steel.  
    Although I am getting less and less impressed at amazing shots as they happen more and more frequently with help from technology.
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    Any of you do those One and Done pools? Finally got in one this year. Took Berger this week. Decent start. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 624
    I'm leading mine.  But there are only 3 people in it.  Haha!  Picked winners in the fall with Sam Burns and Hideki. Got Will Z this week.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
    Yep.  My 4th year in a pretty big one with around 60 people.  Took Justin Rose this week....wanted to go chalk with Rahm but will save him for later in the season.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Been in one forever. Huge pot, 5 grand or so. Impossible to win. Have to pick winners in 5 or 6 tournaments minimum, so saving people for big purses is dumb, but I always end up doing it. Pick winners, top 10 doesnt do shit

Ours has a last person to miss the cut wins $1k which i would have won the year Justin rose went into the masters 1 in the world and shit the bed. Fuck face 
    Also, everyone uses the weekly power rankings, so trying to pick a dark horse from there will only include you in the pack…pick winners
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,872
    I'm in one with about 35 people.  We have a few different payouts.  Overall winner, most consecutive cuts made, major winners, etc.  I went with Rahm this week. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
    Been in one forever. Huge pot, 5 grand or so. Impossible to win. Have to pick winners in 5 or 6 tournaments minimum, so saving people for big purses is dumb, but I always end up doing it. Pick winners, top 10 doesnt do shit

Ours has a last person to miss the cut wins $1k which i would have won the year Justin rose went into the masters 1 in the world and shit the bed. Fuck face 
    Yeah it's so hard to decide which strategy to use each week.  There's always 1-2 guys that are trendy and a bunch of people will pick.  But like you said, you need winners so it doesn't matter who else is picking the same guy every week.  I finished in 2nd to last place last year in mine.... pretty impressive.  Kept having guys make the cut and then finishing T52 and winning like 20K for the week...brutal.
    edited January 2022
    Mine has close to 50 and the pot is about $5k. Yeah, figured most would pick by the rankings. But since the points are based on money earnings (at least mine is, not sure if that is standard) do you guys try to hold the bigger guns out for The Masters and other bigger money tournaments?
    ---edit....I see you don't do that Cliff lol. 

For football, I use this survivor grid website that keeps track of who I picked and lets you know which teams give you better value for the next week and stuff. I couldn't find one for golf. Is there a site like that out there I missed maybe?

Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Mine has close to 50 and the pot is about $5k. Yeah, figured most would pick by the rankings. But since the points are based on money earnings (at least mine is, not sure if that is standard) do you guys try to hold the bigger guns out for The Masters and other bigger money tournaments?
    ---edit....I see you don't do that Cliff lol. 

For football, I use this survivor grid website that keeps track of who I picked and lets you know which teams give you better value for the next week and stuff. I couldn't find one for golf. Is there a site like that out there I missed maybe?

The site we use shows the rankings of all the people and when you click on their name you can see their history at that tournament and results over the season, which is nice

In terms of holding people out for bigger events. It is nice to hit a major where the winner gets $2M over $1.2M, but at the end of the day, winning is most important.  If you save DJ for the Masters and he doesn't win, it's a waste of a save/pick, if you could have been more confident in a weaker field and he wins.

I definitely get too cute with picks.  I go big time horses for courses and pick a lot of people based on past results at a tournament, but doesn't always work.

Yeah it's so hard to decide which strategy to use each week.  There's always 1-2 guys that are trendy and a bunch of people will pick.  But like you said, you need winners so it doesn't matter who else is picking the same guy every week.  I finished in 2nd to last place last year in mine.... pretty impressive.  Kept having guys make the cut and then finishing T52 and winning like 20K for the week...brutal.
    Those barely made the cuts are so annoying.  You also realize how little a shit those guys give when they have no shot of winning and just cruise throughout the weekend. 

One year I came in the top 10-15, the rest I haven't been competitive. It is nice to get a win or two early on, so you at least have a chance.  I do have side bets too.  Everyone I work with have an extra $100 on it and my brother and I also bet a bottle of whiskey every year.
    Holy crap...105 people in my pool, $10k+ pot this year.

I did get cute and go Sam Burns this week, but he's been sneaky good
    Good info. Thanks guys. Do you use officefootballpool.com Cliff? We got a lot of that info you mentioned there. 

Only one guy in ours took Horschel this week, so he'll be in pretty good shape if that lead holds. 

chinese-happy.jpg
    Yeah, that’s what we use. It’s a cool site
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,872
    That's the site my group uses as well. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
    Lol Sam burns shoots a big number and misses the cut. Out on the cut pot already. Like I said, don’t get cute. Meanwhile rahm who god knows why you’d pick any other player in this course is right there.

Lol Sam burns shoots a big number and misses the cut. Out on the cut pot already. Like I said, don’t get cute. Meanwhile rahm who god knows why you’d pick any other player in this course is right there.

Right?  Overthink it and don't make the obvious pick.  That's what I do pretty much every week in this damn pool.  Luckily I had Justin Rose make the cut...hopefully he can have a big weekend and finish high.
    I was looking at the people that got cut.   I looked at 8 where there was a large spread in scores between the round and in each of them the South course tore people up.  

Right?  Overthink it and don't make the obvious pick.  That's what I do pretty much every week in this damn pool.  Luckily I had Justin Rose make the cut...hopefully he can have a big weekend and finish high.
    It's so god damn easy to overthink and get cute. Here I am literally telling people not to get cute, and I get cute and boom.
    Alright who's everyone going with this week for their one and done?  Pretty weak field at Pebble with all the big time guys taking that dirty Saudi money to go play in the Saudi Open or whatever it's called.  I have McNealy picked right now.  Feels like him, Cantlay, Berger and Day will be the popular picks this week.  
    I was going to go that route but went Day
    Nice to see Day playing well again. I haven't looked at anything yet for my pool though. 

Hey are any of you guys in a league? If so, did you join by yourself or with friends? My foursome is pretty much dead at this point due to these dopes having a bunch of kids over the last few years. Most of my other friends don't really play. My brothers both gave the game up a few years back. So I am left with my father and brother in law but they only really play about every 5 or 6 weeks, whereas I wanna play at least once every week. 

So I am thinking of joining a league just to have regular tee times every week and compete with other people. But I'm wondering if leagues are mostly made up of groups of buddies who joined together? Is it weird to join a league by myself? lol. I don't have any kids and just want to play as much as possible. Any input is welcomed!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    Nice to see Day playing well again. I haven't looked at anything yet for my pool though. 

Hey are any of you guys in a league? If so, did you join by yourself or with friends? My foursome is pretty much dead at this point due to these dopes having a bunch of kids over the last few years. Most of my other friends don't really play. My brothers both gave the game up a few years back. So I am left with my father and brother in law but they only really play about every 5 or 6 weeks, whereas I wanna play at least once every week. 

So I am thinking of joining a league just to have regular tee times every week and compete with other people. But I'm wondering if leagues are mostly made up of groups of buddies who joined together? Is it weird to join a league by myself? lol. I don't have any kids and just want to play as much as possible. Any input is welcomed!
    No, it's not weird to join a league by yourself.  I joined a club where I didn't know anyone and have met some good guys to play with.  Also got in a fight with another dude, so that was interesting.  If your foursome is dead, you need to find a new one.  
    edited February 2022
    mrussel1 said:

No, it's not weird to join a league by yourself.  I joined a club where I didn't know anyone and have met some good guys to play with.  Also got in a fight with another dude, so that was interesting.  If your foursome is dead, you need to find a new one.  
    Was that fight similar to Kramer and Steve Gendason's back in the day? 

Thanks. I think I am gonna do it.

Also--I went with Mackenzie Hughes. Only one who picked him in our pool. McNealy, Day and Zalatoris were the most popular picks .
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Will be interesting to see what comes of this new competing tour.  The general public usually doesn't care much for rich people complaining they aren't paid enough.  

If the US is still selling weapons to Saudi Arabia then I can't fault these people too much for taking the money from them.  
    Will be interesting to see what comes of this new competing tour.  The general public usually doesn't care much for rich people complaining they aren't paid enough.  

If the US is still selling weapons to Saudi Arabia then I can't fault these people too much for taking the money from them.  
    And it begins.  Mickleson calls the tour greedy and Koepka calls Mickleson greedy.

I think Mickleson is a big phony.  I don’t know him personally obviously but he is all about greed and himself.