JAZZ

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    pjpjpaul said:
    Target is having a buy 2 get 1 free sale as well and it includes a lot of classic series and tone poet titles. 
    I hit that up for my son who is collecting now, but also a poor college student.  I don't find much they sell that I don't have, but it was great for getting him things.. like Wildflowers, Tom Petty Box, Zeps, etc.  

I posted somewhere else, but the Purple Rain is awesome.  Purple smoke vinyl, mastered by KPG and pressed at RTI.  Easiest 24 bucks I ever spent. 
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    Croos1226 said:
    Blue Note Holiday sale on. 30% off music! Grab some great Kevin Gray mastered AAA titles for under $20.00!
    Pick up this record. Its amazing.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/makaya-mccraven-deciphering-the-message/
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    edited January 2022
    shout out to the one herbie h calls a hero / 1 of a kind
    Oscar Peterson - C Jam Blues

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409
    Diana Krall.

and go...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • I own one Krall record - The Look of Love

It is decent, but I’m far more fond of Sarah Vaughan, Ella Fitzgerald and Abbey Lincoln.  Nothing Krall does seems particularly new or innovative to me. 
  • Arriving Monday. Can’t wait to spin these

Arriving Monday. Can’t wait to spin these

What are they? Can't quite see the picture.  Are they Tone Poet or Blue Note?
  • Tone Poet Ornette Coleman boxset.  All his Blue Note releases 
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    This is awesome.

I've been getting into Jazz just recently. So far, Miles Davis is my favorite by a long shot. Bitches Brew is incredible. 

chinese-happy.jpg
    This is awesome.

I've been getting into Jazz just recently. So far, Miles Davis is my favorite by a long shot. Bitches Brew is incredible. 

That's cool.  Jazz opens up a whole new world.  Bitches is very,  very different than most jazz from the 50s and 60s.  If you like that,  you'd probably like "In A Silent Way" and Jack Johnson by Miles.  They are similar rock fusion jazz. I prefer the modal, hard bop style from earlier in the decade.  Hope you continue to explore it though. 
    Tone Poet Ornette Coleman boxset.  All his Blue Note releases 
    Big investment... I don't know his work well enough.  Let me know how it is.  KPG at the helm though... so I'm sure it will be amazing. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited January 2022

Wow!  Nice box set!  From what I can see, I have most of the albums pictured there, but not New and Old Gospel.  This kind of thing is so tempting, but I really have to ask myself, can I really justify having more than the 20 Coleman LPs I already have, lol.
    Looks like a great set, enjoy!

Just checked it out here:
    Ouch, answered my won question: No:lol:

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    yeah. debating picking that up. 

I've bought a ton of records over the past 2 years (back of the envelope, probably about 300), including a ton of the Acoustic Sounds Verve/Impulse! and BN Tone Poets and Classics. So I have shit to listen to. 

BUT the Tone Poets are worth every single dollar and this set will skyrocket in price by the Spring. Decisions, decisions.

• mrussel1 said:
    Tone Poet Ornette Coleman boxset.  All his Blue Note releases 
    Big investment... I don't know his work well enough.  Let me know how it is.  KPG at the helm though... so I'm sure it will be amazing. 
    Will do.  I have 9 TP releases and they are all perfect. Can’t imagine this will be any different. 

• yeah. debating picking that up. 

I've bought a ton of records over the past 2 years (back of the envelope, probably about 300), including a ton of the Acoustic Sounds Verve/Impulse! and BN Tone Poets and Classics. So I have shit to listen to. 

BUT the Tone Poets are worth every single dollar and this set will skyrocket in price by the Spring. Decisions, decisions.

My exact thinking
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027

All I can say is WOW!!!!! The boxset is amazing, beautifully packaged with a great booklet.  Kevin Gray did an amazing job!  I was on the fence about this boxset.  Ornette's free style kind of jazz is not for everybody.  But, the records sound awesome!  His young son at the time plays the drums on The Empty Foxhole........crazy!!!!!  .......and crazy good!  The Tone Poet series is just the best!!! Cheers!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit

All I can say is WOW!!!!! The boxset is amazing, beautifully packaged with a great booklet.  Kevin Gray did an amazing job!  I was on the fence about this boxset.  Ornette's free style kind of jazz is not for everybody.  But, the records sound awesome!  His young son at the time plays the drums on The Empty Foxhole........crazy!!!!!  .......and crazy good!  The Tone Poet series is just the best!!! Cheers!
    Awesome! Can’t wait to dig into this next week! 
    mrussel1 said:
    This is awesome.

That's cool.  Jazz opens up a whole new world.  Bitches is very,  very different than most jazz from the 50s and 60s.  If you like that,  you'd probably like "In A Silent Way" and Jack Johnson by Miles.  They are similar rock fusion jazz. I prefer the modal, hard bop style from earlier in the decade.  Hope you continue to explore it though. 
    Thanks. I'll give Silent Way a go today
    chinese-happy.jpg
    mrussel1 said:
    This is awesome.

Thanks. I'll give Silent Way a go today

M's suggestions are excellent.  I hope you find something of interest in them.
    Another one to possibly consider is Larry Coryell.  Coryell's early solo albums definitely had a strong rock influence in his fusion recordings.  He was a huge Hendrix fan and although Larry did not have nearly as much of a blues influence in his work as Hendrix, he did infuse a lot of the fire.
    Some of that early stuff was more rock than jazz like the song "Sex":
    And a little later it was more jazz influenced like in "Gypsy Queen":

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Listening to Empty Foxhole right now….. Blue Note TP and KG nailed it again.  You are definitely right, this isn’t for everybody, but it’s certainly right up my alley. 

Listening to Empty Foxhole right now….. Blue Note TP and KG nailed it again.  You are definitely right, this isn’t for everybody, but it’s certainly right up my alley. 

You might like Coleman's Science Fiction as well.  Here's a cool number from that one (for the initiated, give it past the first 60 seconds to where it gets into the funky cool groove!):

• 4 of the records in that Ornette Coleman boxset were gatefold. 3 of them had holes on the inner spine, the side where the records slide in. It was like the glue tore a hole when they were opened. 
    Sending it back… see if the next one is any better.
    edited February 2022
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

mickeyrat said:
    Thanks Mick. I got rid of sirius a while back though. Been on a Coltrane kick today....though about to flip over to Yield, for obvious reasons.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    Back to Coltrane: A Love Supreme Live in Seattle today
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    mickeyrat said:
    Thanks Mick. I got rid of sirius a while back though. Been on a Coltrane kick today....though about to flip over to Yield, for obvious reasons.

can get internet or app only though for like $4 a month....

edited February 2022

I SOSOSO wanted to get that but then I read that throughout some of the performance there is some kind of high pitched bell or metallic sound.  Having hyperacusis, really bad tinnitus and being high pitch sensitive, I had to pass.  Too bad because A Love Supreme is my favorite Coltrane records. 

I also really like the two LP Live in Seattle (with Pharoah Sanders).  Intense music!

brianlux said:

I SOSOSO wanted to get that but then I read that throughout some of the performance there is some kind of high pitched bell or metallic sound.  Having hyperacusis, really bad tinnitus and being high pitch sensitive, I had to pass.  Too bad because A Love Supreme is my favorite Coltrane records. 

I also really like the two LP Live in Seattle (with Pharoah Sanders).  Intense music!
    Bri - this one isn't cheap ($40) but I can tell you it isn't harsh. 
    https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/162871/John_Coltrane-Live_At_The_Village_Vanguard-180_Gram_Vinyl_Record

It's very smooth.  I had ordered this and Crescent and found Crescent to be tough on the upper ranges as well.  So if you're looking for some live Coltrane, this might fit the bill.  It's pure analog of course, being part of the Acoustic Sound Series.  
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Bri - this one isn't cheap ($40) but I can tell you it isn't harsh. 
    https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/162871/John_Coltrane-Live_At_The_Village_Vanguard-180_Gram_Vinyl_Record

It's very smooth.  I had ordered this and Crescent and found Crescent to be tough on the upper ranges as well.  So if you're looking for some live Coltrane, this might fit the bill.  It's pure analog of course, being part of the Acoustic Sound Series.  

Oooh!  That line up on Village Vanguard- nice!  Might have to get that one, thanks for the tip M!
    I have Village Vanguard Again and it's very good.  Crescent too, but yeah, parts are a challenge for my ears (the title track if I recall- it's been awhile since I gave it a spin.)