Your favorite Horror films

Comments

• Watching SCREAM (5) on friday.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,842
    Don’t watch many coz I’m not a big fan of horror. Too scary…but from what I’ve watched some of my favourites have been…

The Exorcist…saw it in the cinemas when it was re-released years ago. Didn’t sleep that night! 

Blair Witch Project
    Poltergeist
    Scream…not really that scary but made me
    numo every now and then. 

Growing up my older sisters were into Nightmare in Elm Street, use to scare the bejesus out of me!! Never actually watched them though. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Just watched Scream 5
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Why aren't you going seeing Scream 5 you horror lover posers
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,415
    Why aren't you going seeing Scream 5 you horror lover posers
    Not even if they pay me..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    Can't wait for this..

https://youtu.be/In8fuzj3gck
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    "Ends" my ass. We know this thing never ends.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Barbarian. This is getting pretty good reviews.

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    I watched Nightmare on Elm Street over the last 2 nights.  That was the first time I have seen any movie in the series (late I know).
    I was terrified to watch it in the 80s when I was a little kid, and just never did.  Slasher style movies have never been my thing.

I thought it was interesting.  Definitely a great movie for its time, and must have been mind blowing... but I don't think it aged entirely well.  Dialog and plot is extremely hollow. A lot of the music/tones used as bumpers between scenes was super-70s/80s. The ending seemed a bit sloppy (honestly would have been a terrific ending if Nancy's character ended there (I'm aware she is in sequels).  Its definitely a classic.

Im curious if I would have liked the darker, more modern 2010 remake.  That seems to get bad reviews, but a lot of people are resistant to giving remakes of classics credit.  I never watched a Halloween movie either, until I watched Rob Zombie's.  I thought it was pretty good, but that one gets hate too.

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    edited August 2023
    MayDay10 said:
    I watched Nightmare on Elm Street over the last 2 nights.  That was the first time I have seen any movie in the series (late I know).
    I was terrified to watch it in the 80s when I was a little kid, and just never did.  Slasher style movies have never been my thing.

I thought it was interesting.  Definitely a great movie for its time, and must have been mind blowing... but I don't think it aged entirely well.  Dialog and plot is extremely hollow. A lot of the music/tones used as bumpers between scenes was super-70s/80s. The ending seemed a bit sloppy (honestly would have been a terrific ending if Nancy's character ended there (I'm aware she is in sequels).  Its definitely a classic.

Im curious if I would have liked the darker, more modern 2010 remake.  That seems to get bad reviews, but a lot of people are resistant to giving remakes of classics credit.  I never watched a Halloween movie either, until I watched Rob Zombie's.  I thought it was pretty good, but that one gets hate too.

Not counting budget-related things. The original movie only has one flaw. It's the whole Home Alone setting-up-traps sequence. It's both pointless and makes it "silly". We know from the scene with Glen on the bridge that she is done running and will confront Freddy, and she knows she will try to drag him out for her dad to arrest him. Cut out the traps, and you can have the film play out pretty much the same. Freddy can still catch fire if you want to have a cool fire stunt in the film.

Nancy kind of ends there in other endings shot for the film. In Wes original ending e.g. And her being in "sequels" is factually incorrect...

The remake sucks. The "The Texas Chainsaw massacre" remake from 2003 does not. The Amityville Horror remake from... eh... 2005(?) does not. The Thing from... hmm... sometime in the early 80s does not. So, i'm just resistant to shit. :)

Zombies Halloween-films are bad also.

If you are hesitant about the Elm Street series. You should watch the third one. Meaning, if you are not all in you can skip part 2. And after the third one, whatever you do at least also watch WES CRAVEN'S NEW NIGHTMARE from 94.
  • CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,035
    John Carpenter’s The Thing is awesome. Quite different in some ways from the original 1950s version. Those practical effects are killer. Kurt Russell! Morricone on the soundtrack. Did I mention Kurt Russell? 80s Carpenter is great. And I love his soundtracks! Wish I’d seen him on tour. Could have been interesting.
  • Yeah. He played here in Malmö. Wish I would have made the trip
    MayDay10 said:

Not counting budget-related things. The original movie only has one flaw. It's the whole Home Alone setting-up-traps sequence. It's both pointless and makes it "silly". We know from the scene with Glen on the bridge that she is done running and will confront Freddy, and she knows she will try to drag him out for her dad to arrest him. Cut out the traps, and you can have the film play out pretty much the same. Freddy can still catch fire if you want to have a cool fire stunt in the film.

Nancy kind of ends there in other endings shot for the film. In Wes original ending e.g. And her being in "sequels" is factually incorrect...

The remake sucks. The "The Texas Chainsaw massacre" remake from 2003 does not. The Amityville Horror remake from... eh... 2005(?) does not. The Thing from... hmm... sometime in the early 80s does not. So, i'm just resistant to shit. :)

If you are hesitant about the Elm Street series. You should watch the third one. Meaning, if you are not all in you can skip part 2. And after the third one, whatever you do at least also watch WES CRAVEN'S NEW NIGHTMARE from 94.
    Yeah, I started 2.  

The traps is an odd and unnecessary thing.  Like the sledge hammer swings down and knocks freddy back a couple feet and he gives an 'oof' and thats it.  Wow, great.

One of the better explanations of the ending is foiled a bit by those traps.  Its ambiguous in all the layers at the end of what is real and what is dreams.  It all could have been a dream setup, but why would the traps exist in Freddy's dream world.
  • MayDay10 said:
    MayDay10 said:

Yeah, I started 2.  
    TAKE IN THE QUEER UNDERTONES

and

Freddy having the most scary makeup in the whole series.
    MayDay10 said:
    MayDay10 said:

Yeah, I started 2.  
    TAKE IN THE QUEER UNDERTONES

and

Freddy having the most scary makeup in the whole series.
    OK, I finished 2...

Um, yeah.  That didnt seem to have much to do with Freddy or Nightmare on Elm Street.  It kind of doesnt make sense

However, I read about how the movie is probably a metaphor about a gay kid who is suppressing his "monster" (gayness) and the movie makes a whole lot more sense.  
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited August 2023

That looks fun, lol. The rating is HORRIBLE - 2.9 on IMDB hahaha - but I'm going to watch it today. :)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    MayDay10 said:

I'm not resistant to giving credit to remakes, and I can confirm that this remake really does suck.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

That looks fun, lol. The rating is HORRIBLE - 2.9 on IMDB hahaha - but I'm going to watch it today. :)
    I saw it a few moths ago, it was pretty bad. Mot worth it, IMO

https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/comment/7694376#Comment_7694376

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Watching Nightmare on Elm Street 3 now.  I think I have about 35-40 minutes left.

That is really good.  IMO way better than 1 and of course 2.  Freddy is what I had pictured him as and much better of a villain.  A guy who can manifest as things in people's dreams.  The manifestations were personalized for the victim.  It was only 3 years, (and probably a larger budget), but the special effects are so much better in 3 than 1.  
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    3 was Dream Warriors?
    I liked that second best, after Johnny Depp getting slaughtered in the first one.
    Corny/awesome Dokken song,  as well.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    edited September 2023
    MayDay10 said:
    Watching Nightmare on Elm Street 3 now.  I think I have about 35-40 minutes left.

That is really good.  IMO way better than 1 and of course 2.  Freddy is what I had pictured him as and much better of a villain.  A guy who can manifest as things in people's dreams.  The manifestations were personalized for the victim.  It was only 3 years, (and probably a larger budget), but the special effects are so much better in 3 than 1.  
    It’s definietly the cemented look and vibe of Freddy and the franchise. 

It was a ”real” production though with a ”resonable” budget, while the first one was an independant low budget film made for like 800.000 dollars. Chuck Russel did squeeze everthing possible from part 3s budget. It has a lot of neet stuff in it. 

What I don’t like about part 3 is the adding of supernatural/magic elements to the mythology. For me, horror is about our real and known world and that one (unknown) thing that breaks the rules of reality and how people of our reality confronts it. Freddy is that one thing. With making up and adding peoples ability to have dream powers (while loosely in the realm of what Freddy does) I feel cheapen it for me. Together with nun-ghosts.The first (and second one) are stronger, purer and cleaner. 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    edited September 2023
    MayDay10 said:

It’s definietly the cemented look and vibe of Freddy and the franchise. 

It was a ”real” production though with a ”resonable” budget, while the first one was an independant low budget film made for like 800.000 dollars. Chuck Russel did squeeze everthing possible from part 3s budget. It has a lot of neet stuff in it. 

What I don’t like about part 3 is the adding of supernatural/magic elements to the mythology. For me, horror is about our real and known world and that one (unknown) thing that breaks the rules of reality and how people of our reality confronts it. Freddy is that one thing. With making up and adding peoples ability to have dream powers (while loosely in the realm of what Freddy does) I feel cheapen it for me. Together with nun-ghosts.The first (and second one) are stronger, purer and cleaner. 
    I finished the movie.

I get what you are saying, but I don't think I agree.  Those dream powers were all pretty much crap and those people were crushed by Freddy like ants, and for all we know, Nancy was just trying to give them confidence to empower themselves in their dreams and fight back (there was a whole fear makes Freddy stronger element at the end of the 1st one).  You are also dealing with dreams where it isn't out of bounds that people can twist reality.  
    The only actual 'power' was Kristen's ability to draw others into her dream, which was basically a cheap and necessary vehicle for the writer to be able to get the entire cast within the same dream.  The quiet kid yelled and broke all the mirrors that one time, and Kristen did some of the gymnastics moves to evade getting diced.  Other than that, the "Dream Warriors" didn't accomplish anything except getting themselves killed.  Bill Maher doctor guy actually is the one who vanquished Freddy.

I also thought the ghost nun was fine.  It was a way to paint a clearer and more sinister picture of Freddy's backstory and also point the protagonists toward a way to defeat (help?) Freddy.  Then you had the mini twist at the end where the nun was/is Freddy's mom.

I think my favorite part was the Zsa Zsa Gabor interview.  I chuckled

If there was a 'weak' point, Id say it was when Freddy was allowed to just leave the dream and become his mega powered skeleton and prevent Bill Maher from burying him in real life.  Also, when Bill Maher fell into the grave, and Freddy shoveled 2 shovelfuls of dirt on him and took off like his job was done.

Overall, I thought it was a terrific horror movie, and in my opinion, far eclipses I and II.  The characters were better, the plot was better, Freddy was better (although something is to be said about a villain with more minimal screen time too), and of course a much larger budget and effects.  You had a little bit of dark humor, and there were definitely parts that made me cringe with gore.  If I saw this movie in 1987, my mind would have been blown.  

I think I see where this is going to go from here though.  It is going to become the "Freddy show" and each movie after this is going to be him doing a stand-up routine with extra-crazy ways to make killings on a bunch of red-shirts and it will cheapen the series and it won't ever come close to #3 again.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
    edited September 2023
    You are pretty spot on about where it is heading. But no need to stop if you still like it. Renny Harlin's entry is up. YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE BURIED ME... I'M NOT DEAD...

Also, Freddy could have pulled everyone into the same dream to have them watch each other suffer. Or whatever. I'm not a fan of the Power Rangers-dream powers thing and stretching, kitchen-sinking the magic. But it does make the film entertaining. 

And Dokken does too. INTO THE FIRE!
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Should have been shot on 16mm and not look that digital and boring.