______ is on my turntable right now.

Comments

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,607

Attaway77 said:

hot. Got that on cassette too. Crazy layers in that soft parade.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,422

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Dang that Massey ride is something.
    going for randomish grabs from the crate.
    mickeyrat said:

love that odd thing they are worshiping. Someone explained it to me but now it makes less sense.
    Loujoe said:
    going for randomish grabs from the crate.
    record sounds damn good.
    Loujoe said:
    mickeyrat said:

love that odd thing they are worshiping. Someone explained it to me but now it makes less sense.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presence_(album)

The cover and inside sleeve, created by Hipgnosis with George Hardie, features images of people interacting with a black obelisk-shaped object. Inside the sleeve, the item is referred to simply as "The Object". It was intended to represent Zeppelin's "force and presence".[5][22] Hipgnosis co-founder Storm Thorgerson wrote that the obelisk represented the power of Led Zeppelin, saying they were "so powerful, they didn't need to be there".[23][24] Both Page and Plant have said that the presence of the object in the photographs made people stop and think about what is real, which reflected the music.[24]

The background in the cover photograph is an artificial marina, installed in London's Earl's Court arena for the annual Boat Show, in the winter of 1974–75. The band played a series of concerts at this venue in May 1975, a few months after the boat show. The inner sleeve photographs came from various archive stock pictures, and was designed to resemble a feature in National Geographic.[25] The girl on the back cover photo is the same one that appeared on Houses of the Holy.[22] Hipgnosis and Hardie were nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Album Package in 1977.[26]

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Ok. It was prob you Mr. Rat that skooled me on it. Makes sense now.

Discogs selection.

• May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,643
    Has anyone picked up the deluxe 45rpm version of Idles Crawler? Debating picking this up or the standard version. Any info is appreciated. 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,697

• BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,841
    Another classic timeless Aussie album. Rock on! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602

I really wish that record sounded better.  Huge missed opportunity. 
  • The second disc is good enough, but the mastering on the songs with the symphony isn’t stellar. Pressed at GZ so there is going to be surface noise. I’ve got a couple pops and crackles. 
    Still enjoyed it! 

• MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    mrussel1 said:

One of the worst mastering jobs I have ever heard. Horribly muddy.
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:

Conversely, the cd is pretty decent. So it wasn’t the recording, it was later in the chain as you point out. Likely the mastering. 
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:

Conversely, the cd is pretty decent. So it wasn’t the recording, it was later in the chain as you point out. Likely the mastering. 

does that assestment include the 2015 black version?

mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:

does that assestment include the 2015 black version?
    Yes.  I had both (sold the black).  They didn't sound any different.  
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:

I’ve heard worse mastering jobs… but agreed it was muddy. There was very little instrument separation and the soundstage was definitely lacking. 
    Again, the second disc without the symphony sounds better, probably only because there is significantly less going on. Whoever mastered this for vinyl needs some BL, KG, RKS, etc. lessons. 

It is not so bad that I won’t listen to it. I’ve given records away that are simply ear bleeding.