Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• Pointless album. 

Last "great" album was Living with War.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • If anyone dowbloaded etc the Howard Stern interview, please send me a link :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • shorty4568shorty4568 Seattle, WA Posts: 173
    Pointless album. 

Nope, Psychedelic Pill was a fantastic studio album. 
  • Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    Pointless album. 

I liked Psychedelic Pill and Colorado a lot. 
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    edited December 2021
    Pointless album. 

It’s not "pointless" at all. There are some really good songs on Barn - Welcome Back, They Might Be Lost, Human Race, Change Ain't Never Gonna...

Not counting Homegrown or Hitchhiker, I would agree that Neil's last truly great album was Psychedelic Pill.
    However, Chrome Dreams II and Le Noise are also great albums that are more recent than Living With War.
    There's also a lot to like on Peace Trail, The Visitor and Colorado.
    Post edited by goldrush on
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Pointless album. 

Nope, Psychedelic Pill was a fantastic studio album. 
    Yeah. No. 

Fork in the road is underrated though. 

And Lenoise is really good. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited December 2021
    I want to see all of you who are dissing Barn to show me when you are 75 to 80 years old how you are kicking ass and doing top notch work.  You will have one up on me, I know that.  At 70 years of age, and 5 to 9 years younger than Neil and the guys, their latest work kicks my ass down the stairs, that's for sure.  It will be interesting to see (though doubtful I'll be around to see it) you guys do the same at that age. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Oh, I love Barn.  I just listened to the who thing for the first time.  I could die tomorrow and be happy and content.  No drama, just the truth.
    Long live the Horse!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited December 2021
    brianlux said:
    I want to see all of you who are dissing Barn to show me when you are 75 to 80 years old how you are kicking ass and doing top notch work.  You will have one up on me, I know that.  At 70 years of age, and 5 to 9 years younger than Neil and the guys, their latest work kicks my ass down the stairs, that's for sure.  It will be interesting to see (though doubtful I'll be around to see it) you guys do the same at that age. 
    I don't see the point here. 

The lyrics are still shit. (Some of) The songs cringey. 

They don't have to be. Even with him being 75. 

Did you hear Leonard Cohens last album? Have you heard Neil Young and Crazy Horse's Broken Arrow?

So, in this discussion I do have a one up in you. Already. Not being 75 or 80 years.

The album is, like most churned out Neil albums of late not all that good. I would still die defending Neil doing whatever he wants and his "no fucks given" attitude to fans and perfection. And defend his guitar tone. SECOND ONLY TO ACE FREHLEY'S. AM I RITE PEEPS?!?!
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889

so how was the stern interview?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    The thing that I love most about Neil is that it's his own journey and he doesn't care about anyone else's opinion. For me, Barn is a good solid late career album with some real highlights and a few clunky moments. That's fine by me. Just glad that Neil and the Horse are still around and making solid music that's worth listening to.
    brianlux said:
    I don't see the point here. 

The lyrics are still shit. (Some of) The songs cringey. 

They don't have to be. Even with him being 75. 

Did you hear Leonard Cohens last album? Have you heard Neil Young and Crazy Horse's Broken Arrow?

So, in this discussion I do have a one up in you. Already. Not being 75 or 80 years.

The album is, like most churned out Neil albums of late not all that good. I would still die defending Neil doing whatever he wants and his "no fucks given" attitude to fans and perfection. And defend his guitar tone. SECOND ONLY TO ACE FREHLEY'S. AM I RITE PEEPS?!?!

You don't need to see the point.  I love the music.  I am HUGELY grateful that Neil Young and Crazy Horse still walk this earth.  I really don't care if you feel the same way about Barn as I do.  To me, this is not a right or wrong thing.  There is no definitive opinion here.

I think the lyrics are fine, sorry you don't like them.

Yes I have heard Cohen's last album.  It's great.  Yes, I have played Broken Arrow many times on my turn table and I love that album.  I also love Barn

I have no idea what you mean by "So, in this discussion I do have a one up in you. Already. Not being 75 or 80 years."  Unless you are a hell of a lot older than I think you are, neither of us is 75 or 80 years old.

Edved82 said:
    The thing that I love most about Neil is that it's his own journey and he doesn't care about anyone else's opinion. For me, Barn is a good solid late career album with some real highlights and a few clunky moments. That's fine by me. Just glad that Neil and the Horse are still around and making solid music that's worth listening to.
    I agree with this 100%
    Most albums have a clunky moment or two and that’s ok. There are certainly more highs than lows and I’ll take that.

(Tim Rogers)

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:

Lovely song, this one. There's some really great moments on Barn and this is definitely one of them. I've really liked Colorado and Barn. Missing that Poncho element but Nils is obviously a great fit too.
    Special word for Ralph and Billy as well, great to still have those guys around and playing with Neil!
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,601
    goldrush said:
    Peaceful video. Nice song. Thx for posting
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Edved82 said:
    Special word for Ralph and Billy as well, great to still have those guys around and playing with Neil!
    Oh man, you said it!  I love those guys!

Right on, Neil!

Barn has really grown on me, its a great album apart from the last song, which is an instant skip. Other than that one, good job fellas!
    I just got my Massey Hall delivered!  
    Scio me nihil scire

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    static111 said:
    spin er up, let us know if we over hyped it. 
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,601
    I got mine too. Have to wait for the perfect uninterrupted chill time to spin. 
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    spin er up, let us know if we over hyped it. 
    I'm thinking of leaving it sealed and selling it to some sucker years down the road.  I do have the CD after all and it sounds great.  I'm sure I will break down and listen eventually.
    Scio me nihil scire

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,448
    My Massey Hall has been sitting in my son's house about an hour and a half away for the past 2 weeks. It was in stock at the B&N in the town he lives in. I ordered it online and he picked it up. I should be getting it Saturday when he comes for Christmas.  

Also got my Massey Hall copy today, and it sounds fantastic. Believe the hype.
    It sounds awesome, I couldn’t wait to keep it sealed for the next asshole.    Wow.  It sounds better than the cd I’ve been listening to all this time 
    Scio me nihil scire

sooooooooo goood
    Scio me nihil scire

Massey Hall is such a beautiful sounding record. I’m so happy for everyone that has managed to get a hold of one now. 

(Tim Rogers)