Options

Viruses / Vaccines

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,691
    many of the vent patients were on their backs. It was discovered if patients were on their stomachs with vents,  they had better outcomes.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    many of the vent patients were on their backs. It was discovered if patients were on their stomachs with vents,  they had better outcomes.
    Thats for pneumonia 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    Thats for pneumonia 
    Is your kid doing any better? 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    Ventilation has a very  low survival rate.  In any illness. Its basically last resort. Intrusive and low chance of survival 
    Yes exactly.  That's why the phrase above is so misleading.  It makes it seem like putting the person on the vent caused the death,  when they could have survived. 
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    Thats for pneumonia 
    Is your kid doing any better? 
    Yes thank you much better.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,472
    edited December 2021
    tish said:
    I haven't seen any data yet that omicron escapes vaccine immunity. have you?
    There are 2 triple vaxxed docs in Isreal with omricon that wscaped their immunity. Perhaps, it is the many mutations similar to  Beta that this worry and trend comes from.
    This is why borders shut down. Also lots of chatter about reinfection.

So ya, in this respect vaccinating children a month from now may have reduced efficacy. Maybe I'll wait for more data.

2 people. that's an infinitesimal data pool. it basically means nothing at this point. 

So we're waiting for real world days to (dis)prove this.

You feeling positive that data will prove otherwise?
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    tish said:
    tish said:
    I haven't seen any data yet that omicron escapes vaccine immunity. have you?
    There are 2 triple vaxxed docs in Isreal with omricon that wscaped their immunity. Perhaps, it is the many mutations similar to  Beta that this worry and trend comes from.
    This is why borders shut down. Also lots of chatter about reinfection.

So ya, in this respect vaccinating children a month from now may have reduced efficacy. Maybe I'll wait for more data.

2 people. that's an infinitesimal data pool. it basically means nothing at this point. 

So we're waiting for real world days to (dis)prove this.

You feeling positive that data will prove otherwise?
    I'm feeling positive that the symptoms are extremely mild,  as has been reported from RSA. 

But everything in this paragraph is speculative. 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Yes mild  in youth cases reported remains good news.

• Options

Mysteries of omicron variant could take weeks to untangle
    By LAURAN NEERGAARD and LAURA UNGAR
    Today

A pandemic-weary world faces weeks of confusing uncertainty as countries restrict travel and take other steps to halt the newest potentially risky coronavirus mutant before anyone knows just how dangerous omicron really is.

Will it spread even faster than the already extra-contagious delta variant? Does it make people sicker? Does it evade vaccines’ protection or reinfect survivors? There are lots of guesses but little hard evidence as scientists race to find answers amid scrutiny from an anxious public.

“Pretty much the right level of freaking out,” is how Trevor Bedford, who studies evolution of the coronavirus at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, characterized health experts' reactions.

Omicron might not turn out “as bad as we’re perhaps imagining it could be but treating it as such at the moment I think is entirely appropriate,” he said.

Up to now, the world has been slow to react to each coronavirus curveball. This time an early warning from South Africa and Botswana might have offered important head start.

“It’s hard to know: Have we just simply caught up to the reality and now the world is reacting with the appropriate speed as variants emerge?” asked Dr. Jacob Lemieux, who monitors variants for a research collaboration led by Harvard Medical School.

WHY THE WORRY?

Omicron raised alarm because of its sheer number of mutations, more than prior variants had. Possibly 30 are in a key place, the spike protein that lets the virus attach to human cells.

Scientists worldwide are scrambling to assess the omicron variant's multiple mutations. (Nov. 29)

Scientists recognize a few mutations from earlier variants that were more contagious or a bit resistant to vaccination. But they've never seen this particular constellation of changes.

Most “are really unique to this virus,” said Dr. William Moss of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. “It’s that combination of potential increased transmissibility and ability -- potential ability -- to escape our immune system that has everyone worried.”

“It is a balance,” Moss said. “We want to take this seriously because of the combination of mutations, but we don’t want to panic and we don’t want to overreact as well until we really learn more about this virus.”

SCRAMBLING FOR ANSWERS

Scientists have little data yet on whether omicron causes more severe disease than other variants. And while it already has been diagnosed in numerous countries just days after its discovery was announced, it’s also too soon to know how contagious it is.

The alpha variant that emerged about a year ago was more transmissible than the virus that started the pandemic. Then delta hit, far more contagious than alpha.

It’s unclear how omicron would compete in a place like the U.S. where that strong delta variant is causing more than 99% of current COVID-19 cases, said Louis Mansky, director of the Institute for Molecular Virology at the University of Minnesota.

Even in certain parts of South Africa, a reported jump in omicron-caused cases may not indicate the mutant is more contagious than delta, Lemieux said.

“We really don’t know if omicron is out-competing delta at all or whether it’s become the dominant strain in a few places just due to chance,” he said.

To understand omicron better, scientists are trying to figure out how it emerged. It’s not a descendent of delta. One popular theory is that someone with a severely weakened immune system had a coronavirus infection they couldn’t shake for so long that mutations stacked up.

“This is completely bizarre,” said Bedford, whose says variants that were circulating in summer of 2020 appear to be omicron's closest relatives.

Viruses mutate every time they spread and it’s possible omicron was simmering undetected someplace with poor COVID-19 testing. But Bedford said its sudden appearance is more likely a result of the cat-and-mouse struggle as an immune-compromised body fights a virus that repeatedly changes its spike protein to avoid detection. (Bedford receives funding from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, which also supports The Associated Press Health and Science Department.)

WHAT TO WATCH FOR

Scientists say it may take two to four weeks to get some important answers.

Among the biggest concerns is how much omicron might evade immunity. So far the beta variant has been the biggest challenge to vaccine protection but that mutant fortunately didn’t spread widely.

“It is highly unlikely that this new variant has escaped all antibodies generated following vaccination,” said immunologist E. John Wherry of the University of Pennsylvania.

Vaccine makers and other scientists are setting up lab tests to tell how well antibodies generated by vaccines or prior infection can fight omicron compared to earlier variants. It takes time because first, they must grow samples of so-called “pseudoviruses” that hold the worrisome new mutations.

But that “won’t be the whole story,” Moss said.

The immune system has multiple layers of defense beyond antibodies, including T cells that should help avoid severe disease even if someone experiences a breakthrough infection.

Experts also will be carefully monitoring the prevalence of omicron-caused infections and their severity.

As for treatments, Regeneron says its COVID-19 antibody cocktail may be less effective against omicron although more testing is needed. But there are some antiviral pills in the pipeline, a long-needed new option that shouldn't be affected by omicron's mutations.

WHAT TO DO NOW?

Scientists urge people to take simple precautions as they wait for answers — mask indoors, avoid crowds, get the shots if you are among the 45 million U.S. adults who still haven't been vaccinated — regardless of what variant's circulating.

One thing is clear: Vaccination remains critical. Today’s shots do protect against delta and other versions of the virus that already are rampaging regardless of whether omicron spreads or fizzles. The U.S. and other countries are urging people eligible for boosters not to wait because the extra dose causes a huge burst of virus-fighting antibodies.

“People who are on the fence about whether to get vaccinated should see a great reason to get vaccinated. People who haven’t yet gotten their boosters and are eligible should get their boosters. And then I think we need to let the scientists and the public health practitioners do their work," Lemieux said.

___

The Associated Press Health and Science Department receives support from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute’s Department of Science Education. The AP is solely responsible for all content.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Ontario public health came out with some good information a few days back. Here's some exerpts.

• Options
    ^ that information discounts your 'mild' quotes probably from the SA youth?
  • Options
    tish said:
    ^ that information discounts your 'mild' quotes probably from the SA youth?
    did I miss where it said anything about severity or age in that info?

• Options
    edited December 2021
    It's mentioned and in the chart. However, Australia's government somewhat concurs with your statement.
    https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert/omicron-variant

Severity and transmissibility

Preliminary evidence indicates that Omicron may only lead to mild symptoms among most people who contract it.

Experts around the world are monitoring it closely to see if it is more likely to lead to severe illness compared to earlier variants.

As far as vaccine efficacy goes: the worrying data thus far is this basic wiki info. (I will look at the footnotes and read those sources, as I prefer primary info over news reports with political bias.)

Thirty-two mutations affect the spike protein, the main antigenic target of antibodies generated by infections and of many vaccines widely administered. Many of those mutations had not been observed in other strains.[11][12] 

...Professor Paul Morgan, immunologist at Cardiff University, also recommends vaccination. Morgan said, "I think a blunting rather than a complete loss [of immunity] is the most likely outcome. The virus can't possibly lose every single epitope on its surface, because if it did that spike protein couldn't work any more. So, while some of the antibodies and T cell clones made against earlier versions of the virus, or against the vaccines may not be effective, there will be others, which will remain effective. (...) If half, or two-thirds, or whatever it is, of the immune response is not going to be effective, and you're left with the residual half, then the more boosted that is the better."

...Many of the mutations to the spike protein are present in other variants of concern and are related to increased infectivity and antibody evasion. Computational modeling suggests that the variant may also escape cell-mediated immunity.[12].

...As of November 2021, it is unknown how the variant will spread in populations with high levels of immunity, it is also unknown if the omicron variant causes a milder or more severe COVID infection. 

The EU threat assessment brief from Nov. 26 had this to say: https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/default/files/documents/Implications-emergence-spread-SARS-CoV-2 B.1.1.529-variant-concern-Omicron-for-the-EU-EEA-Nov2021.pdf

Based on the mutation profile of Omicron, partial immune escape is likely.... Vaccination Whilst the presence of multiple RBD mutations in the spike protein of Omicron indicate a high likelihood of immune escape from antibody-mediated protection, immune escape potential from memory T cells directed at non-surface proteins following infection or vaccination are more difficult to determine. Memory T cell responses may offer a route to durable immunity where virus evolution leads to spike protein mutations that escape pre-existing neutralising antibodies. This could occur either by offering more efficient support to activated naïve B cells responding to the altered spike protein (CD4 T cells), or through direct lysis of SARS-CoV-2 infected cells (CD8 T cells) [14].
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538
    And another....

Anti-vaccine Christian broadcaster Marcus Lamb dies at 64 after contracting Covid

Marcus Lamb, a co-founder and the CEO of the conservative Christian Daystar Television Network who vocally opposed Covid-19 vaccines, has died at 64, weeks
  • Options
    Well, looking on the brightside, if omicron lives up to its' mutated potential, at least those comments will be moot. 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,106
    tish said:
    Well, looking on the brightside, if omicron lives up to its' mutated potential, at least those comments will be moot. 

Maybe we'll get best case scenario.  Maybe it'll be more contagious and evade vaccines, but turn out to be less lethal, so everyone gets it, builds up natural immunities, and not many people die from it.  It spreads so rapidly it kicks out all the old strains as the dominant one.  then we go back to normal :)

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Zod said:
    tish said:

Maybe we'll get best case scenario.  Maybe it'll be more contagious and evade vaccines, but turn out to be less lethal, so everyone gets it, builds up natural immunities, and not many people die from it.  It spreads so rapidly it kicks out all the old strains as the dominant one.  then we go back to normal :)

Please let this be the way it all shakes out..
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    progress....

Scientists find clues to what triggers rare blood clots in AstraZeneca covid vaccine

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/12/02/scientists-trigger-blood-clots-astrazeneca-vaccine/

• Options
    Zod said:
    tish said:

Thus, I'd be back to square 1... pointless to vaccinate kid when vaccinations for her age group becomes possible where I live :)

So waiting could be a good choice...
  • Options
    I wouldn't  vaccinate a kid. Just my opinion 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793

this is child abuse

I mean, it's not actually

but it should be
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,890
    edited December 2021
    CM189191 said:

this is child abuse

I mean, it's not actually

but it should be
    So shoot me. Who  are you to choose for my child.
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,953
    Do you have children? If you don't you can't answer the vaccine question truthfully.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    deleted. See the Posting Guidelines
    Post edited by Sea on
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Post edited by Sea on

• Options
    Do you have children? If you don't you can't answer the vaccine question truthfully.
    He does, some of whom are almost five,  Germ, keep up!
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,953
    This anti-vaccine talk is just such garbage it is hard to respond respectfully.

It's like arguing that smoking is good for you and helps your lungs.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,844
    Haven’t been in this thread in a long time so forgive me if this has been discussed.   Thoughts on the booster shot?  Yeah or nay?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    edited December 2021

my grandma is 91 and immunocompromised
    my nieces are too young to be vaccinated
    my girlfriend is a teacher with a classroom full of sick kids who's parents refuse to have them vaccinated

it's not a choice that someone just makes for their own child
    it's a choice that affects everyone around that child, and society as a whole

so who is  to make that choice for my grandma, my nieces, my girlfriend?
    Post edited by Sea on
This discussion has been closed.