The Food Thread

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    The winter storage from the garden this year!
    Fuck.  Damn, country living has it's drawbacks.  I will post the picture when I head into town and get a good enough signal to upload...
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Wow that is impressive.  Looks great!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,603
    rgambs said:

Details please. whachagotthere? I love to can stuff, but on a smaller scale. Beautiful.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    I think the traditional Spanish way is to fry them in oil. 
    I usually roast them- 10 minutes in boiling water, then shake around in a colander to fluff the exterior, and into the oven. It isn't the exact same, but it's pretty close.
    Sauce is basically tomatoes and paprika. And you can always couple that with Aioli.
  • lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,928
    eddiec said:
    I think the traditional Spanish way is to fry them in oil. 
    I usually roast them- 10 minutes in boiling water, then shake around in a colander to fluff the exterior, and into the oven. It isn't the exact same, but it's pretty close.
    Sauce is basically tomatoes and paprika. And you can always couple that with Aioli.
    Thanks dude. Will give that.method a try. 
    Loujoe said:
    rgambs said:

Details please. whachagotthere? I love to can stuff, but on a smaller scale. Beautiful.
    Well let's see there... From the bottom up, left to right:
    10 whole butternut squash 7gallons cubed frozen butternut squash
    7 half-pints of pickled red onions
    3q hot chunky salsa
    10 half-pints pickled jalapenos
    12 half-pints cayenne hot sauce, spoon-thick
    11 pints tomato sauce
    2 pints green beans
    8 quarter-pints, 3 half-pints, and 9 pints of hand-picked, homegrown, organic honest to goodness blueberry preserves
    8 half-pints candied jalapenos
    1 pint left of dried onions
    5.5 gallons frozen peppers
    3 quarts dried cayennes for pizza/pasta flakes
    1 pint dried blueberries for trail mix
    4 gallons frozen blueberries for pies and more preserves if we are running low in the spring
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Awesome 👍
    rgambs said:
    Loujoe said:
    rgambs said:

3q hot chunky salsa
    11 pints tomato sauce
    2 pints green beans
    8 quarter-pints, 3 half-pints, and 9 pints of hand-picked, homegrown, organic honest to goodness blueberry preserves
    4 gallons frozen blueberries for pies and more preserves if we are running low in the spring

Damn. Nice work!
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Ribeye Sundeye

chinese-happy.jpg
    rgambs said:
    Loujoe said:
    rgambs said:

3q hot chunky salsa
    11 pints tomato sauce
    2 pints green beans
    thanks. Fantastic . You are the canning wizard! I have a quart of beets, 1 pickled shishitos and Thai peppers, a few straw rhubarb jams, peach jam and 1 experimental ghost pepper peach jam I have yet to dare try. 

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Hell yeah
    I look forward to hearing about the ghost pepper jam!

I want a steak!
    been loving this. Ginger, carrots, yams, hot peppers, orange zest/juice, water in crock pot. Puree it up after. Awesome.
    edited November 2021
    This fat bastard was killed this morning.  
    Salted down for the dry brine.  
    I'm sure in gonna be all turkeyed out soon but I like a good bird on tg.

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on

Oh goodness! That’s a big guy. You hosting?
    edited November 2021

Yeah but only for 6, we are sending out some plates to some others who cannot join so we wanted to have extra.
    Gluten Free holiday - my wife swears it is as good as a normal one.  (It is not). I do like making it so that she can eat pretty much everything. 
    I do make some dinner rolls with real bread as well as some gluten free stuff.
    Normal enough spread.   Turkey, stuffing and dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, a bunch of veg, spinach and cheese thingy, cranberry, rolls, apple pie and ice cream.
    No frigging green bean casserole.  
    Not at this table!
    Edit - I'm gonna cook up those innards as well.  Looking forward to liver/onions.  Wife likes the heart best.

What are y'all planning?

Anyone frying a turkey?  I keep saying I'm gonna do it and don't.
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on

Yeah but only for 6, we are sending out some plates to some others who cannot join so we wanted to have extra.
    Gluten Free holiday - my wife swears it is as good as a normal one.  (It is not). I do like making it so that she can eat pretty much everything. 
    I do make some dinner rolls with real bread as well as some gluten free stuff.
    Normal enough spread.   Turkey, stuffing and dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, a bunch of veg, spinach and cheese thingy, cranberry, rolls, apple pie and ice cream.
    No frigging green bean casserole.  
    Not at this table!
    Edit - I'm gonna cook up those innards as well.  Looking forward to liver/onions.  Wife likes the heart best.

What are y'all planning?

Anyone frying a turkey?  I keep saying I'm gonna do it and don't.
    Wife likes the heart best! You have yourself a winner. Sounds awesome and all delicious, though not sure about gluten free but I’ve never attempted or tried it.  Enjoy man. Thanksgiving rules.

We’re sticking around Philly but not hosting. Taking our daughter to the parade in the morning, then my sisters. My brother in law is smoking a turkey so we’ll see how that comes out. Then to the wife’s family. Busy day but should be nice. My mom’s 70th was recently so doing a little something for her Saturday. Should be a nice holiday weekend 
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    Also hosting, 6 people.  Picked up the bird at the farm yesterday.  And yes to green bean casserole.  Very low key otherwise.  Only unique thing I make is something called cranberry horseradish mousse. Basically a pepto bismol colored mold that our family has done every year for over 40 years. Tastes fantastic, looks bizarre and make a great sandwich spread on Friday.
    Get_Right said:
    Also hosting, 6 people.  Picked up the bird at the farm yesterday.  And yes to green bean casserole.  Very low key otherwise.  Only unique thing I make is something called cranberry horseradish mousse. Basically a pepto bismol colored mold that our family has done every year for over 40 years. Tastes fantastic, looks bizarre and make a great sandwich spread on Friday.
    Interesting.  It sounds good!
    (Not the BGC, that is 🤢, lol)

• lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,928
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Low key this year. 

Scallops & Bacon to get things going. Hope you all have a great day with friends and family.
    Pie last night and prep.  Bird went in this am, he was so big that for the first time ever the stuffing all fit inside.  
    Ready to get er going as we get closer.
    Happy Thanksgiving food people!
    Used the liver for a quick lunch of liver/onions.
    Liver gets a bad rap, it is really good.

Nice work.

Fuck yeah!
    Warily cracked my ghost pepper peach jam open. Super delicious and just a little heat. One whole pepper jarred with peaches. Even friend ate some easily. Impressed myself. Would make it again. Happy thanksgiving all.
    Loujoe said:
    Warily cracked my ghost pepper peach jam open. Super delicious and just a little heat. One whole pepper jarred with peaches. Even friend ate some easily. Impressed myself. Would make it again. Happy thanksgiving all.
    Awesome!
    Brother in law went the smoking route. Was good

Looks great, need to try that way
    Looks great, need to try that way
    First time I ever had it that way. Was surprised at how well it came out