George Floyd Protests

Comments

• OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    The very argument we're having about the OK/CircleGame/WhitePower sign is the very reason it exists; so people can fight about it and the libs can look silly. It serves 1) as a signal to each other and 2) to provide plausible deniability and in turn to be turned against anyone that calls it out. It's really quite brilliant.

In the photo, they're probably flashing white power. But there's plausible deniability. "We just ate ribs and there were A-OK." Similarly, when they put it on their leg they cite the circle game. Then they can call anyone hysterical if they point it out. It's usually just another way to troll. But it's also used as a way to show just how race-obsessed the left is. And when this happens: (was going to quote the truckdriver post but it's not letting...me), that's even better. I don't know what the guy was doing but I'd certainly argue the burden of proof is on the employer. And was this guy a casualty of knee-jerk political correctness? Yes, assuming he's telling the truth. But he was also a casualty of the white nationalist movement that has planted this strange conflict into our brains.

1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Speaking of this stupid white supremacy hand gesture, are you guys familiar with the Latino man that lost his job as a truck driver for having this fingers in that position? He was stuck in traffic during a George Floyd protest (this was at the height of those protests). Someone took a picture of him, and his company fired him. Yep, a Latino man lost his job because they think he might be a white supremacist. 

SDG&E Worker Fired Over Alleged Racist Gesture Says He Was Cracking Knuckles – NBC 7 San Diego (nbcsandiego.com)

I actually donated to his GoFundMe. 

Fundraiser for Emmanuel Cafferty by Melisa Cafferty Salazar : Emmanuel Cafferty vs SDGE (gofundme.com)
    yep. that IS stupid. like I said, it should be obvious when it's used in context. 
    Frankly, other than that picture of Rittenhouse and his bar buddies, I've never seen this hand symbol used as a sign of white supremacy. I've heard of it being a white supremacy sign from folks on the left, but I never seen it. It's always meant "okay." 

In fact, when I was in like middle school, the sign meant "asshole." The three fingers being A-S-S and the hole your thumb and pointer-finger make being, obviously, the hole. 

I just don't like the idea of taking something that's always meant one thing, and changing it. You might say that "Well it's the far-right  white supremacists that hijacked the hand symbol." Maybe. But it's far-left type of people/beliefs that caused that truck driver to be fired. 
    Haha, I remember the ass-hole thing. Also if you made that sign somewhere not obvious and someone saw it, you got to hit them.
    How we did it was you'd hold it down at your side and say "look," and if they looked, then they were in fact, an asshole. 
    i didn't actually know what you were talking about until this. haha. i remember that now. makes sense the symbol evolved from asshole to racist, now that I think about it. 
    Well, I haven’t heard that since middle school. Maybe to those who never evolved passed middle school it evolved. My reason for even bringing this up a while ago was how commonly known is that symbol? I had no idea until this picture came out. 
    And how do we know those other guys in the photo are white supremicists? This based on the fact their male, white and overweight? Or do we actually know?
    they are all flashing the sign. 

again, maybe I spend too much time online, but to me, that symbol is a well known racist hand gesture. I've seen it all over the place. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    edited November 2021
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Speaking of this stupid white supremacy hand gesture, are you guys familiar with the Latino man that lost his job as a truck driver for having this fingers in that position? He was stuck in traffic during a George Floyd protest (this was at the height of those protests). Someone took a picture of him, and his company fired him. Yep, a Latino man lost his job because they think he might be a white supremacist. 

SDG&E Worker Fired Over Alleged Racist Gesture Says He Was Cracking Knuckles – NBC 7 San Diego (nbcsandiego.com)

Fundraiser for Emmanuel Cafferty by Melisa Cafferty Salazar : Emmanuel Cafferty vs SDGE (gofundme.com)
    yep. that IS stupid. like I said, it should be obvious when it's used in context. 
    Frankly, other than that picture of Rittenhouse and his bar buddies, I've never seen this hand symbol used as a sign of white supremacy. I've heard of it being a white supremacy sign from folks on the left, but I never seen it. It's always meant "okay." 

In fact, when I was in like middle school, the sign meant "asshole." The three fingers being A-S-S and the hole your thumb and pointer-finger make being, obviously, the hole. 

I just don't like the idea of taking something that's always meant one thing, and changing it. You might say that "Well it's the far-right  white supremacists that hijacked the hand symbol." Maybe. But it's far-left type of people/beliefs that caused that truck driver to be fired. 
    Haha, I remember the ass-hole thing. Also if you made that sign somewhere not obvious and someone saw it, you got to hit them.
    How we did it was you'd hold it down at your side and say "look," and if they looked, then they were in fact, an asshole. 
    i didn't actually know what you were talking about until this. haha. i remember that now. makes sense the symbol evolved from asshole to racist, now that I think about it. 
    Well, I haven’t heard that since middle school. Maybe to those who never evolved passed middle school it evolved. My reason for even bringing this up a while ago was how commonly known is that symbol? I had no idea until this picture came out. 
    And how do we know those other guys in the photo are white supremicists? This based on the fact their male, white and overweight? Or do we actually know?

again, maybe I spend too much time online, but to me, that symbol is a well known racist hand gesture. I've seen it all over the place. 
    I think that is the case. Not you in particular. I'm the same way. Before you responded here, I was going to respond to this saying that I sometimes gage things by "Would I have any idea about this if I wasn't online so much?" This "okay" sign now being a white nationalist sign is certainly a "no" to that question. I thought about this too when they recently referenced Joe Rogan on SNL. If you're online, Rogan's a pretty big celebrity. If you're not online, you might know him from Fear Factor or UFC....but you don't know his vaccine/virus stances. 

I have a friend that is big into some right-wing commentators on YouTube. Mainly Steven Crowder. We were talking about Rittenhouse and my friend suggested he should go on Crowder's show. I told him that would be silly because RIttenhouse is already appearing on Tucker Carlson. He responded that Crowder is every bit as "big" as Carlson as far as conservative commentators go, and he referenced YouTube views as a barometer. He's wrong of course. But that's another example of being online versus not being online. If you're online, you may know Steven Crowder, and you may even love or hate him depending on your political views. If you're not online, you've never heard of him. 
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I think that is the case. Not you in particular. I'm the same way. Before you responded here, I was going to respond to this saying that I sometimes gage things by "Would I have any idea about this if I wasn't online so much?" This "okay" sign now being a white nationalist sign is certainly a "no" to that question. I thought about this too when they recently referenced Joe Rogan on SNL. If you're online, Rogan's a pretty big celebrity. If you're not online, you might know him from Fear Factor or UFC....but you don't know his vaccine/virus stances. 

I have a friend that is big into some right-wing commentators on YouTube. Mainly Steven Crowder. We were talking about Rittenhouse and my friend suggested he should go on Crowder's show. I told him that would be silly because RIttenhouse is already appearing on Tucker Carlson. He responded that Crowder is every bit as "big" as Carlson as far as conservative commentators go, and he referenced YouTube views as a barometer. He's wrong of course. But that's another example of being online versus not being online. If you're online, you may know Steven Crowder, and you may even love or hate him depending on your political views. If you're not online, you've never heard of him. 
    you make a great point and I was actually, just yesterday, after seeing on Twitter the truck parade murder, thinking it's time to delete a lot of my online presence. I honestly do not need to know that something like that happened in Wisconsin. Sure. I have family there, but I don't need to know about all the bullshit that happens all over the place, where most of it is not necessarily national/international in interest. 

now that I said that, I realized that when I used to watch CNN, almost all of the coverage (that I saw) was international news or of some global interest. Now it's all of these horrific incidents that are localized, but expanded to a national audience. I don't think it's healthy to consume this much horrible news all the time. it's no wonder people are fucking stressed all the time. 

I asked my parents just over the weekend if they knew who Joe Rogan was. Not a clue. And my mom used to watch Fear Factor. lol. Sure, they're in their 70's and not necessarily in tune with a lot of these things, but I assumed they'd at least heard of the guy. 

I am mainly on socials to keep track of the bands I like (no one updates their websites anymore), but these social media companies make it damn near impossible to zero in on something like that and to block out everything else. It forces you to see things you don't want to see to keep you engaged. And it works. I might try just staying on instagram, which I don't find bad since I don't follow "influencers" or any of that toxic shit.  
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

and I've heard the name Steven Crowder but don't know anything about him. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Crowder was fired from Fox.  He's also been demonetized from YouTube a few times. He might still be demonetized right now.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    edited November 2021
    Just a right-wing commentator/provocateur. But it's online where you heard his name. 

Qanon is another thing I think is mostly online, though it has seeped into left-leaning shows like Bill Maher, and the MSNBC/CNN primetime shows. My father is 74 and he's a democrat. He's always liked and watched Bill Maher, but he doesn't "get" a lot of these references that are straight from online. Like if Maher referenced a "So-and so is cancelled party." my father would be like "what the hell does that mean?" since he doesn't know that hashtag "cancel parties" are things that trend on Twitter.

As for Qanon, Maher once made a reference to some Q conspiracy theories and my dad asked me about them when I came to visit a day or two later. He said "Bill Maher said something about conservatives thinking liberals perform ritual in pizza parlors or something? What's he talking about?"

"Well Dad, because of a tiny percentage of loons, Bill now paints every conservative as believing that Hillary Clinton tortures babies in the basement of pizza parlors. Which is ridiculous of course. Everyone knows she has her own private island for that stuff." 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    Just a right-wing commentator/provocateur. But it's online where you heard his name. 

Qanon is another thing I think is mostly online, though it has seeped into left-leaning shows like Bill Maher, and the MSNBC/CNN primetime shows. My father is 74 and he's a democrat. He's always liked and watched Bill Maher, but he doesn't "get" a lot of these references that are straight from online. Like if Maher referenced a "So-and so is cancelled party." my father would be like "what the hell does that mean?" since he doesn't know that hashtag "cancel parties" are things that trend on Twitter.

As for Qanon, Maher once made a reference to some Q conspiracy theories and my dad asked me about them when I came to visit a day or two later. He said "Bill Maher said something about conservatives thinking liberals perform ritual in pizza parlors or something? What's he talking about?"

"Well Dad, because of a tiny percentage of loons, Bill now paints every conservative as believing that Hillary Clinton tortures babies in the basement of pizza parlors. Which is ridiculous of course. Everyone knows she has her own private island for that stuff." 
    I would imagine it's getting harder and harder for people in our parents' generation to watch anything that routinely references online trends. but they know where the easy money is: talking about minor bullshit that is amplified to make people think they are bigger than they are. 

I actually remember, 20 years ago, when I didn't even own a computer. I had to go to my parents' house to check my hotmail account and delete 400 "FW:" jokes I didn't read. 

and 10 years or so ago, when i got an email from a friend to join facebook. I'm like "what the hell is that? sounds dumb". I should have gone with my first instinct. 

and around the same time, when I thought "I wonder what AMT is all about....". lol. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

This is a comment on a post that one of my FB "friends" made regarding the Rittenhouse verdict.

The original post is from one of my son's best friend's mother.  She is constantly railing on democrats and people that voted for Biden. She also still flies a tRump flag.

These people have created their own reality and there isn't any way to pull them out.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600

This is a comment on a post that one of my FB "friends" made regarding the Rittenhouse verdict.

The original post is from one of my son's best friend's mother.  She is constantly railing on democrats and people that voted for Biden. She also still flies a tRump flag.

These people have created their own reality and there isn't any way to pull them out.
    Wait, so Kyle Rittenhouse was actually a 6 year old boy that died at Sandy Hook.. and at 6 years old he was a Freemason?

Please please please send me that person's name.  I'm dying to see the rest of her posts!
    mrussel1 said:

Wait, so Kyle Rittenhouse was actually a 6 year old boy that died at Sandy Hook.. and at 6 years old he was a Freemason?

Please please please send me that person's name.  I'm dying to see the rest of her posts!
    lol....

I have a hard time not responding to the bullshit on her page. In person she is super nice which makes it hard to understand how she will so blatantly call me (as a democrat/liberal/socialist/marxist/communist) stupid in her posts.

She does have a funny track record though. About 20 years ago her and her husband (at the time) were arrested for trafficking cocaine in our neighborhood. She has had at least three DUIs since then as well.

Not to make fun but it is kind of funny how she will post about receiving a "sober for a year" badge she received at AA and then a few weeks later she will post a bunch of drunken bullshit and start over with the "Sober for a month" badge.

mrussel1 said:

lol....

I have a hard time not responding to the bullshit on her page. In person she is super nice which makes it hard to understand how she will so blatantly call me (as a democrat/liberal/socialist/marxist/communist) stupid in her posts.

She does have a funny track record though. About 20 years ago her and her husband (at the time) were arrested for trafficking cocaine in our neighborhood. She has had at least three DUIs since then as well.

Not to make fun but it is kind of funny how she will post about receiving a "sober for a year" badge she received at AA and then a few weeks later she will post a bunch of drunken bullshit and start over with the "Sober for a month" badge.
    Ha!  Addiction isn't funny, but that is! 
    PJPOWER said:
    Yeah good luck explaining the photos where he is flashing the white power gestures.

Fuck him

• OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    PJPOWER said:
    He's going to make a shit-ton of money off of this. Kyle Rittenhouse is America and America is Kyle Rittenhouse.

Let's go Kyle and let's go Brandon!
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    OnWis97 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    He's going to make a shit-ton of money off of this. Kyle Rittenhouse is America and America is Kyle Rittenhouse.

Let's go Kyle and let's go Brandon!

Kill a protester, become a millionaire.  The quintessential American Dream!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Trying to figure out the white supremacist angle, given that the car lots Rittenhouse and co were protecting were owned/run by people of colour, seems like a conflict of interests.

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Trying to figure out the white supremacist angle, given that the car lots Rittenhouse and co were protecting were owned/run by people of colour, seems like a conflict of interests.

Easy enough, it was never really about protecting property, it was about playing commando.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • tbergs said:
    Trying to figure out the white supremacist angle, given that the car lots Rittenhouse and co were protecting were owned/run by people of colour, seems like a conflict of interests.

Easy enough, it was never really about protecting property, it was about playing commando.
    Yeah, I agree it was more about playing commando, though it would seem an odd move for a white supremacist to want to actively help people of colour. 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956

I always thought that picture was old. Just read it was taken shortly after being released on bail. His story is they approached him, asked for a picture, flashed the “ok” sign so he did too.
    sounds ridiculous at first. But he was already famous so it is likely they did approach him. The prosecution had his phone and probably computer and anything else too. I don’t believe they found a single post or even search result for proud boys or racist groups or racist comments posted online or texts or anything.
    Now I don’t know Kyle, I don’t know if he’s racist or not. I know he made some dumb choices that night. But what’s easier for me to believe, his story they approached him and he had no idea who they were, or he’s part of this racist organization with exactly zero history found in it. A phone to a 17 year old is a window into their soul, and still no connection was found there. It’s possible he kept it that well hidden, but the other story seems more plausible to me.
    mace1229 said:

I always thought that picture was old. Just read it was taken shortly after being released on bail. His story is they approached him, asked for a picture, flashed the “ok” sign so he did too.
    sounds ridiculous at first. But he was already famous so it is likely they did approach him. The prosecution had his phone and probably computer and anything else too. I don’t believe they found a single post or even search result for proud boys or racist groups or racist comments posted online or texts or anything.
    Now I don’t know Kyle, I don’t know if he’s racist or not. I know he made some dumb choices that night. But what’s easier for me to believe, his story they approached him and he had no idea who they were, or he’s part of this racist organization with exactly zero history found in it. A phone to a 17 year old is a window into their soul, and still no connection was found there. It’s possible he kept it that well hidden, but the other story seems more plausible to me.
    certainly plausible. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mace1229 said:

I tend to agree.  No doubt the picture and its context will be scrutinized heavily if they do go after people for defamation. 
    tbergs said:

Agreed, this is an outcome of our sick gun culture. 
  • Verdict is in in the Arbery murder trial.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Travis McMichael guilty of murder.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Guilty of all nine counts.

Brilliantati©
  • Gregory McMichael, guilty of 8 of 9 counts

Brilliantati©
  • William Brian, guilty of 6 of 9 charges.

Brilliantati©
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410

Man who helped pursue Ahmaud Arbery convicted of murder
    By RUSS BYNUM
    Just now

BRUNSWICK, Ga. (AP) — Greg McMichael, the man who pursued Ahmaud Arbery with his son, has been convicted of murder.

The conviction carries a minimum sentence of life in prison. It is up to the judge to decide whether that comes with or without the possibility of parole.

McMichael and his son, Travis McMichael, grabbed guns and jumped in a pickup truck to pursue the 25-year-old Black man after seeing him running in their neighborhood outside the Georgia port city of Brunswick in February 2020. Their neighbor William “Roddie” Bryan joined the pursuit in his own pickup and recorded cellphone video of Travis McMichael fatally shooting Arbery.

Arbery’s killing became part of a larger national reckoning on racial injustice after the graphic video leaked online two months later. All three men are white. Though prosecutors did not argue that racism motivated the killing, federal authorities have charged them with hate crimes, alleging that they chased and killed Arbery because he was Black. That case is scheduled to go to trial in February.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. AP’s earlier story follows below.

BRUNSWICK, Ga. (AP) — Jury deliberations resumed for a second day Wednesday in the trial of the three white men charged with chasing and killing Ahmaud Arbery, with jurors reviewing the cellphone video of the 25-year-old Black man being blasted with a shotgun on a residential street in coastal Georgia.

The jury sent a note to Superior Court Judge Timothy Walmsley soon after returning to court Wednesday morning asking to view two versions of the shooting video — the original and one that investigators enhanced to reduce shadows — three times apiece.

The jury returned to the courtroom to see the videos and listen again the 911 call one of the defendants made from the bed of a pickup truck about 30 seconds before the shooting.

The disproportionately white jury is weighing charges of murder and other crimes against father and son Greg and Travis McMichael and their neighbor William “Roddie” Bryan. It received the case around midday Tuesday and spent about six hours deliberating before adjourning without a verdict.

The McMichaels told police they suspected Arbery was a fleeing burglar when they armed themselves and jumped in a pickup truck to chase him on Feb. 23, 2020. Bryan joined the pursuit when they passed his house and recorded cellphone video of Travis McMichael blasting Arbery at close range with a shotgun as Arbery threw punches and grabbed for the weapon.

On the 911 call the jury reviewed, Greg McMichael tells an operator: “I’m out here in Satilla Shores. There's a Black male running down the street.”

He then starts shouting, apparently as Arbery is running toward the McMichael's idling truck with Bryan's truck coming up behind him: “Stop right there! Damn it, stop! Travis!” Gunshots can be heard a few second later.

Arbery’s killing became part of a larger national reckoning on racial injustice after the graphic video of his death leaked online two months later and the Georgia Bureau of Investigation took over the case, quickly arresting the three men. Each of them is charged with murder and other crimes.

Defense attorneys contend the McMichaels were attempting a legal citizen’s arrest when they set off after Arbery, seeking to detain and question him as a suspected burglar after he was seen running from a nearby home under construction.

Travis McMichael testified that he shot Arbery in self-defense, saying the running man turned and attacked with his fists while running past the idling truck where Travis McMichael stood with his shotgun.

Prosecutors said there was no evidence Arbery had committed crimes in the defendants’ neighborhood. He had enrolled at a technical college and was preparing at the time to study to become an electrician like his uncles.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    in Georgia no less with 11 white people on the jury.

will miracles never cease....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
This discussion has been closed.