Artists you love but hate to admit :D

Comments

• musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
    edited November 2021
    I
    Post edited by musicismylife78 on
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    edited November 2021
    oh I forgot Air Supply Toolie,  fucking love them!  Supertramp too, Bread, Toto, Styx....
    Post edited by hrd2imgn on
  • marjenmarjen CT Posts: 792
    brianlux said:
    Can I turn this question on it's head?
    Is anyone really embarrassed by or hate to admit they are fans of a certain musician or band?

Not to dismiss the OP's question- it's been asked elsewhere plenty of time- but when I hear or read that question, I always wonder about my flipped question. 
    I think of it more as a guilty pleasure. Depending on the people you grew up with, etc.  More in your developmental years through young adult. 

Now in my late 40s, I hardly care what anyone else thinks, so I guess the answer is no, I am not embarrassed (as part of life’s maturation process) to be fans of a band or artist. 😎
    This is probably a better way to put it. Guilty pleasure. Though I will admit to turning the car radio down if I pull up to a light and have the windows down while rocking out to TS 😂
    mr bungle said:
    Def Leppard has always been my guilty little secret.
    Damn what’s the matter with them? Their first 3 albums are 🔥
    Ok I have to admit I started this thread after a couple beers last week and was afraid to check back in, lol. But this is a fun discussion. I think some one else in this thread put it best. Guilty pleasures. But honestly at this point I like all kinds of music, genre doesn’t really matter any more. I got more excited this morning for another version of all to well than Ed’s new song.  
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    brianlux said:
    Is anyone really embarrassed by or hate to admit they are fans of a certain musician or band?

Not to dismiss the OP's question- it's been asked elsewhere plenty of time- but when I hear or read that question, I always wonder about my flipped question. 
    Not a one Brian.

My friends make fun of me and my love for Matt&Kim though.  One of my buddies calls it Romper Room music, lol.  My GF can't stand when I listen to modern hiphop.  She despises Drake...
    My wife about shit when I played Action / Mayhem / Body concert video.  
    She also hates (hates) SoaD with a passion.

Have to listen to this stuff in the car solo or in headphones.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • marjen said:
    Ok I have to admit I started this thread after a couple beers last week and was afraid to check back in, lol. But this is a fun discussion. I think some one else in this thread put it best. Guilty pleasures. But honestly at this point I like all kinds of music, genre doesn’t really matter any more. I got more excited this morning for another version of all to well than Ed’s new song.  
    Thanks for starting the thread.  And I agree totally.  Taylor is the present and future and it’s fun to witness it.  What a song.  Her music is just fun.  It’s great to see people give the song props that it is owed.  It’s fun to be sucked into the world she creates. And it’s what I talked about earlier, rock is good and all, but to me the 2 and a half hour Taylor’s version of a 9 year old album is way more interesting and engaging to me than alot of the music this forum raves about.  It’s just fun as you say.   Nice to see a fellow fan.  
  • The only one I “hate to admit” is Maroon 5. They have some bops
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • My son put us on his unlimited iTunes downloads that he pays for (wasn’t even Christmas or birthday) and it’s the perfect gift.  
    Started listening to more stuff by Katy Perry and Lady Gaga….if you have a young daughter make sure you read the lyrics cause these girls can be filthy (slight innuendo throughout some songs).  And some excellent lyrics about accepting and loving yourself.
    I’m good with it but don’t have a daughter.  Everyone labels everyone and everything so bubble gum music, I don’t care cause these women can sing their asses off. Im agreeing with musicismylife and a lot of other postings above. 
    Katy Perry and Lady Gaga are NOT bubblegum pop either.  Both are perfecting their crafts.

One hit wonders are generally the bubblegum stuff I would think of.
    Are you yelling at me (?) cause I said everyone else labels them and that I don’t care!  I get clobbered even when I agree with people! 
    Not at all.  it was a message in general about them and the misconceived notion of what "bubble gum" is.

That Barbie Girl song is bubble gum to me.
  • brianlux said:

Not a one Brian.

My friends make fun of me and my love for Matt&Kim though.  One of my buddies calls it Romper Room music, lol.  My GF can't stand when I listen to modern hiphop.  She despises Drake...
    My wife about shit when I played Action / Mayhem / Body concert video.  
    She also hates (hates) SoaD with a passion.

Have to listen to this stuff in the car solo or in headphones.
    I saw Action Bronson live during the White Bronco tour.  He killed.  Mayhem was great too.  Big Body is just a big body, lol.  He hung out smoking blunts and took pictures.  Not sure what he offers other than comic relief, lol!  They had a local kid Rocco Marciano that was good too.  Haven't seen his name in a bit though.
  • marjen said:
    Thanks for starting the thread.  And I agree totally.  Taylor is the present and future and it’s fun to witness it.  What a song.  Her music is just fun.  It’s great to see people give the song props that it is owed.  It’s fun to be sucked into the world she creates. And it’s what I talked about earlier, rock is good and all, but to me the 2 and a half hour Taylor’s version of a 9 year old album is way more interesting and engaging to me than alot of the music this forum raves about.  It’s just fun as you say.   Nice to see a fellow fan.  
    I remember when she was a country singer, lol.  

People would argue that she had no talent and I said you're wrong.  She picks up a guitar and writes her own songs.  You wait and see.  She will be around for a while.

Call me Know-stra-dam-it
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,448
    I admit I like some late 60's early 70's AM pop. I have been stuck on Love You More Today Than Yesterday by the Spiral Starecase the last couple of days, searching out different versions on Youtube last night for way too long.
  • I used to listen to Tonic back in the day. Their debut and next album Sugar were pretty solid albums. I even went to see them a few times back in the 00’s. 
    Did you listen to the acoustic Lemon Parade reissue some years back? I love love love that record. Saw them in 96’ promoting it. 
    No but I’d love to seek this out and hear it. I can probably still remember every lyric from that album 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    marjen said:

People would argue that she had no talent and I said you're wrong.  She picks up a guitar and writes her own songs.  You wait and see.  She will be around for a while.

Call me Know-stra-dam-it
    I've got a different name for you.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dankind said:
    marjen said:

Call me Know-stra-dam-it
    First guess.

Does it rhyme with Grassy knoll?
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    My guilty pleasure lately has been Machine Gun Kelly's latest album "Tickets to my Downfall".  He pretty much made a pop punk Blink 182 album....Travis Barker produced it and plays drums on it.  Don't know anything about his rap albums but this one is really good.
    dankind said:
    marjen said:

Call me Know-stra-dam-it
    First guess.

Does it rhyme with Grassy knoll?
    To a Lawn Guylander, maybe. :lol:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I have what could be called "guilty pleasures" that I might be guilty of, but do not feel guilty about!  :smiley:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Picked these up today. This thread inspired me 

• GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,507
    I'm not embarrassed, but I get teased for liking the following:

Dave Matthews Band
    Taylor Swift (recent, new addiction)
    U2 <--it really bugs me that people treat Bono like he thinks he's god. The man literally has done more for the third world than 99.4% of humanity.

1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    I know it seems like Bono can be a bit much, but really he hasn't been that for about 15 years or so.

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    I still enjoy hearing the Debbie Gibson hits.  I was in high school at the time and had a thing for her but also enjoyed the songs. Gotta admit I play them on Alexa once in a while. They take me back and some are just good old pop songs.  I know they have no general meaning but they make me smile at times.

I've always hated people putting down pop songs and even bubble gum pop. You know sometimes I just want to hear a song that makes me bop my head and smile. I don't always need Porch, sometimes I wanna hear Summer Nights from Grease, Walking on Sunshine, or Hey Mickey  you're so fine I lose my mind, hey Mickey.  

Music is an amazing art form because it can describe any mood and when a song is played that hits your mood at the perfect time it's an amazing convergence.  That to me is one of the shame's of the demise of terrestrial radio.  That moment when you put radio on and the right song comes on at the right time for you.  It's an aligning of the stars that is just a wonderful moment.  

marjen said:
    mr bungle said:
    Def Leppard was the first rock band I went all in on for a few years.  High N' Dry, Pyromania and Hysteria are freaking great.  I think the next one, Adrenalize(?) had it's moments too.  
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    pjhawks said:
    I still enjoy hearing the Debbie Gibson hits.  I was in high school at the time and had a thing for her but also enjoyed the songs. Gotta admit I play them on Alexa once in a while. They take me back and some are just good old pop songs.  I know they have no general meaning but they make me smile at times.

I've always hated people putting down pop songs and even bubble gum pop. You know sometimes I just want to hear a song that makes me bop my head and smile. I don't always need Porch, sometimes I wanna hear Summer Nights from Grease, Walking on Sunshine, or Hey Mickey  you're so fine I lose my mind, hey Mickey.  

Music is an amazing art form because it can describe any mood and when a song is played that hits your mood at the perfect time it's an amazing convergence.  That to me is one of the shame's of the demise of terrestrial radio.  That moment when you put radio on and the right song comes on at the right time for you.  It's an aligning of the stars that is just a wonderful moment.  

Hey Mickey….love it!  Walk like an Egyptian too!  Gap band….must be the former cheerleader in me but I’ve downloaded all these!  
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    I know it seems like Bono can be a bit much, but really he hasn't been that for about 15 years or so.

Well there was that time when U2 thought every iPhone owner on earth would love to have their new album automatically downloaded. :lol:

I like U2.  That was a misfire tho.  

Well there was that time when U2 thought every iPhone owner on earth would love to have their new album automatically downloaded. :lol:

I like U2.  That was a misfire tho.  
    and still can't get that fucker to go away.  even after deleting that fucker always comes back.
    Now there is my like middle school guilty pleasure. Always took Tiffany over Debbie Gibson :D
    marjen said:
    Now there is my like middle school guilty pleasure. Always took Tiffany over Debbie Gibson :D
    And apparently, the Daily Caller has a Tiffany beat.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    pjhawks said:
    marjen said:
    mr bungle said:
    Def Leppard was the first rock band I went all in on for a few years.  High N' Dry, Pyromania and Hysteria are freaking great.  I think the next one, Adrenalize(?) had it's moments too.  
    I think I was in 6th grade when pyromania came out. I still remember hiding the cassette tape behind some other tapes at the local Bradley’s because they only had one and I knew it was going to take like 2-3 weeks to save up my allowance to by it, lol. That and Van Halen 1984 are the first rock albums I got into and that really started my music obsession.