Cycling and Road Biking

Comments

• erebus said:
    Look at indoor trainers for the winter months if you want to keep going year round. You essentially hook your bike up to a machine and can virtually ride 
    I am replacing my Tacx Neo and use the Zwift app.
    really fun to get you through the winter months, keeps you motivated, and you are not starting over for fitness level when you can get outside again
    I saw those stands that you hook your bike up to.  I'll buy a used one if I can.  Not seeing how I'm going to enjoy that.  Maybe if I have music on or the tv going I can do a ride.  We shall see.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    erebus said:
    Look at indoor trainers for the winter months if you want to keep going year round. You essentially hook your bike up to a machine and can virtually ride 
    really fun to get you through the winter months, keeps you motivated, and you are not starting over for fitness level when you can get outside again

This is pretty cool, I didn't know you could do that.  Is this something you get for your home or something you do at a gym?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    erebus said:
    I used a Cyclops fluid trainer for years in front of a TV.
    Now I have a Peloton which is mich more enjoyable. 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    In my 10 years of bicycle commuting in NYC (taking the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges every day), the potential dangers of cycling posed by other humans were ranked as follows:
    1. Other cyclists
    2. Pedestrians (usually tourists)
    3. Motor vehicles
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • erebuserebus Posts: 549
    edited October 2021
    Just google Zwift and see what it is. All levels of people on there, very friendly, something for everyone. I ride alone as well as joining races and challenges. Much more fun than just watching a movie or listening to music for me. Almost like a game where you can gain experience points and upgrade your virtual bikes and kind of addicting. Also very challenging (hilly courses) so you are changing up pace which can be hard to do when just watching a movie or tv
    there are other Apps out there as well, I just happen to like Zwift
    you can also ride with your friends at the same time from around the globe
    Peloton looks cool too
    Post edited by erebus on
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    dankind said:
    In my 10 years of bicycle commuting in NYC (taking the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges every day), the potential dangers of cycling posed by other humans were ranked as follows:
    1. Other cyclists
    2. Pedestrians (usually tourists)
    3. Motor vehicles

Mrs FMe got concussed on the Golden Gate bridge as a tourist.  Totally spaced out and then run right the heck over.  This was loooong ago but she still talks about it - not so sure she totally learned that lesson but I know she tries to be more aware.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    erebus said:
    I just looked up the Cycleops (now Saris) fluid trainer and its $300, so not cheap, but much cheaper than a peloton!

If I was in the market for one or the other I would choose the saris so I could ride the bike I'm familiar with, but luckily I can just ride outside so I don't really need it. We have an awful lot of rainy days but not a lot of days below freezing.  
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,834
    Wish I could ride to work, just too far on not great riding roads.
    @erebus Do you mean those trainers that hook up to a video game, for lack of a better term, where you can ride with other virtual ppl? I've seen them in the Trek store and it looks like a lot of fun, I'd probably forget I was working out lol.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    erebus said:
    I just looked up the Cycleops (now Saris) fluid trainer and its $300, so not cheap, but much cheaper than a peloton!

If I was in the market for one or the other I would choose the saris so I could ride the bike I'm familiar with, but luckily I can just ride outside so I don't really need it. We have an awful lot of rainy days but not a lot of days below freezing.  
    I was lucky I got a Pro-Deal for 75% off so definitely worth the investment the time.
  • erebuserebus Posts: 549
    a5pj said:
    Wish I could ride to work, just too far on not great riding roads.
    @erebus Do you mean those trainers that hook up to a video game, for lack of a better term, where you can ride with other virtual ppl? I've seen them in the Trek store and it looks like a lot of fun, I'd probably forget I was working out lol.
    Yes, those are the ones, you are essentially an avatar 
    I’ve “friended” some people of the same abilities and that ride around the same time. It gives you motivation and you can hook up for rides together.
    there are various trainers you can get (you use your own bike) and the subscription was about 19-20 bucks a month 
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • I did it! I reached my goal!!!nice and easy pace considering the length of the trip. 

50 mile goal next year!

• Well done my friend 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Good work!
  • Well done my friend 
    Good work!
    Thx everyone!
    Congrats! A nice achievement to have under your belt before winter. 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,701
    edited November 2021
    Great work, Chris!! It always feels amazing to achieve a goal. I am sure you will hit that 50 miles soon. 
    Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • Congrats! A nice achievement to have under your belt before winter. 
    GlowGirl said:
    Great work, Chris!! It always feels amazing to achieve a goal. I am sure you will hit that 50 miles soon. 
    TY both.  Next day I went on a 5mile hike birding.

For those considering inclement weather cycling, I thought I would post this as either encouragement or a cautionary tale. 
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,711
    edited November 2021
    Ive rode 7 miles everyday for a week now so i can walk my 4 year old to school . We moved 3.5 miles further away.  So i go there and back . The problem i have is the  cars pollution.  I have a mask but its  hard to feel free
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -

• For those considering inclement weather cycling, I thought I would post this as either encouragement or a cautionary tale. 
    I have sooo many questions.

Where is the guardrail?  Having no guardrail would mean that this is a no wake area or non fast moving water yet a barge is plowing through making 5 foot breakers, lol?!?
  • Took a trip to Broad Channel this weekend to see the extended family. Crossbay bridge was a mutha…
  • I got a second hand bike. Called metallica how fuckin cool is that 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Nice - a rock and roll bike!
  • I got a second hand bike. Called metallica how fuckin cool is that 
    Metal up your ass Rob!, lol!!!
  • DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,436
    I did it! I reached my goal!!!nice and easy pace considering the length of the trip. 

50 mile goal next year!

Good job man 👍
  • DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,436
    I got a second hand bike. Called metallica how fuckin cool is that 
    Ride the lightning buddy lol. 
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,711
    edited November 2021
    Haha  great. Only £40 with lock and pump and a small tool kit. From  an 89 year old man who looked 65. 

Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Had to stop riding.  Numb hands and bad neck. Ffs there is no fun left
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Had to stop riding.  Numb hands and bad neck. Ffs there is no fun left
    Get someone to help you with the setup of the bike, Rob. Once you have the seat and handlebar height adjusted you may find that these issues go away. Even if this specific bike style isn’t a good one for you there will be another style that is.