Remembering BRAD

Comments

• https://youtu.be/dJKO3KSYHRk
    It's  just  a matter of time before we get back in the  wheel!
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • https://youtu.be/LY_sxaaq5gg
    This is powerful too
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Nice stuff, thanks for posting!

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • i have always loved brad. i found the most beat up copy of "shame" at a local oklahoma city cd warehouse when i was around 12 years old, it skipped so bad i had to record it from the cd to a cassette tape. it made the album even more special for me, because i had to be in my room and listening to it on the one device that still played cassettes in the house. it's a classic in my books.

i finally got to see them live in the fall of 2002 in both dallas and austin texas. they played at these small clubs and sounded amazing. we were walking the streets of austin and i spotted shawn smith walk out of stubb's bbq heading towards their bus. i somehow squeezed up enough courage to say a 'hello' and he talked to me for a bit about the tour, "welcome to discovery park" and pearl jam. i asked him if he liked the new pearl jam record ("riot act") and he said, "no, i'm not in to that band. i loved mother love bone, though." we laughed. he was a very kind and charming guy. i also got to meet jeremy toback and happy chichester. happy was opening both shows and i got in to howlin' maggie after that. check out jeremy's solo work if you haven't yet, talented and nice guy. 

shawn smith should of been as big as any of them. 

• 👍
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,607
    Nice collection. I should  listen to them. My buds wife  gave me a cassette a few years ago. Will dig it out if I still have it.
  • brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• What  a soulful  man
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    https://youtu.be/LY_sxaaq5gg
    This is powerful too
    Whenever there’s a ‘What Songs Should PJ Cover?’ thread, this is always the first one that comes to mind for me
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Some great stuff all! Keep sharing! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Seeing them live in the UK (Birmingham and London) in 2013 was a dream come true, to finally hear those songs live and played with such passion. Regan and Keith were such a formidable rhythm section too. I really hope at least some of the shows from the European tour were recorded and will get released some day.
    The London gig was memorable  as on the way there we were pretty much walking through a blizzard to get to the venue. I felt really off that night but the music got me through. I woke up in the middle of the night with the most horrendous fever and then had flu for days afterwards - totally worth it!

Shame is probably my favourite. I've never heard an album like it in terms of both production and songwriting. It's so organic, funky and soulful.
    I really miss Shawn but am grateful for the considerable body of work he gifted to the world.
    My Music, 'Crowd of Oaks' - Spotify | Bandcamp

Manchester 2000 :: Cardiff 2000 :: Prague 2006 :: London 2007 :: Manchester 2009 :: London 2009 :: Manchester I 2012 :: Manchester II 2012 :: Milton Keynes 2014 :: London I 2018 :: London II 2018

*BRAD* Birmingham 2013 :: London 2013
  • Ahh, I actually got to see Brad Before I ever saw PJ.  Saw Brad at the Metro in Chicago on 7-11-1997.  It was my 3rd show ever. I finally saw PJ for the first time on the 1998 tour.  Then I saw Brad again in 2010 with BOH in Columbus, OH.  Both were great shows, but that First time at the Metro and seeing Stone and Shawn was absolutely amazing.  Brad was my fave PJ side Project until RNDM came out, then Brad moved down to #2.  I do hope we get a Lost Dogs style release of some good stuff in the Brad Vault, I'd really dig another release from them.  Always makes me wistful when I think about all the Music that won't get made now, I know Brad had another epic album in them.  Still a fantastic band that I go back to time and again.
    There's no need to say goodbye
  • bmurray06bmurray06 Austin, Texas Posts: 132
    Got to see Brad live at a small club in Seattle called the High Dive in 2007. Amazing set. Can't believe that show cost me just $5. I'll never get tired of listening to live recordings of 'Screen' particularly.
    bmurray06 said:
    Got to see Brad live at a small club in Seattle called the High Dive in 2007. Amazing set. Can't believe that show cost me just $5. I'll never get tired of listening to live recordings of 'Screen' particularly.
    They did a stunning set for Daytrotter Sessions back in 2011 or 2012 I think. Have any of you heard that yet? 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    bmurray06 said:
    They did a stunning set for Daytrotter Sessions back in 2011 or 2012 I think. Have any of you heard that yet? 
    Yup...it's great!! They also did an iTunes session that has an amazing version of Screen on it
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • fgalpernfgalpern Posts: 208
    Shawn was a gentle, deep and caring soul. I met him briefly before a solo show in NYC. Not long after, I messaged him on FB and asked if I could hire him to record a cover song as a gift to my then wife. He happily agreed, a beautiful solo piano/vocal cover of Ordinary World by her favorite band, Duran Duran. A year or so later my band, Plug, was finishing up our first EP and I asked Shawn if he would contribute background vocals to a song. He sent me multiple versions of him doing all kinds of different vocal takes, so cool of him, he just wanted to get it as good as it could be. I offered him money and he refused, just said "thanks for asking to create with me". Out of respect for Shawn, and my ex, I won't share the Duran Duran cover but if you want to hear the song he sang background vocals on, you can find it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTdMpUhGbT8

10C Member # 6,9XX - from 1992 to Present, attended 40 shows and counting...
  • ^^^^^^Thank you for posting this.  What a great story.  You are lucky to have worked with him, and are blessed with these beautiful memories.
    There's no need to say goodbye
    fgalpern said:
    Shawn was a gentle, deep and caring soul. I met him briefly before a solo show in NYC. Not long after, I messaged him on FB and asked if I could hire him to record a cover song as a gift to my then wife. He happily agreed, a beautiful solo piano/vocal cover of Ordinary World by her favorite band, Duran Duran. A year or so later my band, Plug, was finishing up our first EP and I asked Shawn if he would contribute background vocals to a song. He sent me multiple versions of him doing all kinds of different vocal takes, so cool of him, he just wanted to get it as good as it could be. I offered him money and he refused, just said "thanks for asking to create with me". Out of respect for Shawn, and my ex, I won't share the Duran Duran cover but if you want to hear the song he sang background vocals on, you can find it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTdMpUhGbT8

This is great & I have a story that's in this ballpark as well.

My first time seeing Shawn play live was when we lived in Portland and he played a show at Dante's on Burnside. I had missed seeing Brad several times for various reasons and he is one of my all time favorite songwriters & vocalists. So, my wife and I grab a table right up front and he goes up to the bar about an hour before the show starts. Not many people are around yet, so I just went up to say hello and thank him for his music and for being an inspiration with my own songwriting. He was incredibly sweet, funny and asked me a lot of questions about my music. I didn't ask for a picture or autograph, we just chatted about music and the process of creating. After about 10 minutes, I thanked him again and he said keep in touch. I didn't think much of it at the time and we enjoyed his show immensely. 

I thought of this a few months later and reached out to him via email. Well, he remembered me and we started emailing back and forth. I asked if he would be interested in hearing some of my songs and he said send 'em over. So, I sent him links to my band music and some rough solo demos that I had been working on not expecting a ton in return. His reply was encouraging, complimentary (what?!) and I could tell that he was excited. He gave me feedback and made suggestions on how to open up & expand some of the songs. (One of his comments was..."Do you not like bridges? If not, learn to like them because this tune needs a bridge!") It was absolutely amazing.

I asked him if he'd be open to producing a solo project and he said yes, but that it would have to wait a bit because he had a lot going on. We emailed a bit here and there and then we moved from Portland to Kansas City. He said that he'd still be willing to help in any way that he could, but it would be more difficult to work in a studio since I was no longer in the area. I had plans to email him the weekend after his passing to check in and send him some new songs.

I'm sad that he's gone. It hit me like a ton of bricks when he passed away. His legacy most certainly lives on, though. Not just in his music, but with how he treated others. 

Rest in peace, Shawn. And THANK YOU.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,610

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    mfc2006 said:
    fgalpern said:

This is great & I have a story that's in this ballpark as well.

My first time seeing Shawn play live was when we lived in Portland and he played a show at Dante's on Burnside. I had missed seeing Brad several times for various reasons and he is one of my all time favorite songwriters & vocalists. So, my wife and I grab a table right up front and he goes up to the bar about an hour before the show starts. Not many people are around yet, so I just went up to say hello and thank him for his music and for being an inspiration with my own songwriting. He was incredibly sweet, funny and asked me a lot of questions about my music. I didn't ask for a picture or autograph, we just chatted about music and the process of creating. After about 10 minutes, I thanked him again and he said keep in touch. I didn't think much of it at the time and we enjoyed his show immensely. 

I thought of this a few months later and reached out to him via email. Well, he remembered me and we started emailing back and forth. I asked if he would be interested in hearing some of my songs and he said send 'em over. So, I sent him links to my band music and some rough solo demos that I had been working on not expecting a ton in return. His reply was encouraging, complimentary (what?!) and I could tell that he was excited. He gave me feedback and made suggestions on how to open up & expand some of the songs. (One of his comments was..."Do you not like bridges? If not, learn to like them because this tune needs a bridge!") It was absolutely amazing.

I asked him if he'd be open to producing a solo project and he said yes, but that it would have to wait a bit because he had a lot going on. We emailed a bit here and there and then we moved from Portland to Kansas City. He said that he'd still be willing to help in any way that he could, but it would be more difficult to work in a studio since I was no longer in the area. I had plans to email him the weekend after his passing to check in and send him some new songs.

I'm sad that he's gone. It hit me like a ton of bricks when he passed away. His legacy most certainly lives on, though. Not just in his music, but with how he treated others. 

Rest in peace, Shawn. And THANK YOU.
    That’s an amazing story. Definitely an experience to treasure.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • https://youtu.be/dJKO3KSYHRk
    It's  just  a matter of time before we get back in the  wheel!
    Back here  again
     Perfect
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    Can't wait for the reissue vinyl next year. 
    demetrios said:
    Hoping that the unreleased stuff that Stone alluded to is released as well.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Me too! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    demetrios said:
    I must have missed the announcement. What Brad releases are being reissued? 
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    demetrios said:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10157828001589132&id=155480954131

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    demetrios said:
    demetrios said:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10157828001589132&id=155480954131

!! I would love to have Brad albums on vinyl without having to spend $100’s per record. 
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    demetrios said:
    What!?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Will be spinning Shame, with a cocktail, this weekend.  Happy for the bump/reminder.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Will be spinning Shame, with a cocktail, this weekend.  Happy for the bump/reminder.
    I will be spinning Welcome To Discovery Park & Shame. Hell, I may spin all of them! 

Best Friends is underrated, in my opinion.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com