Remembering BRAD

2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
A beautiful collective of musicians with a timeless catalog from Shame to United We Stand. What are your memories of BRAD? 
www.cluthelee.com

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Listening to Shame on loop and being so in love with that record, back in the 90s.  
    Did some road trips where my one buddy and I would listen to it a bunch of times, until our friends would yell and scream for another choice.

Still love it.  The strangest part about that first album is We.  Specifically, the last ten seconds or so.  Always have to skip it when I listen with my family, who really like this album as well.
    Not so much the last creepy ass ten seconds!

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Yeah, I hear you on We. Such a great song but creepy ending. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 990
    Actually got to see them in 2003 in Australia at a great small pub venue, great show with Secret Girl finishing off a rip roaring set
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
  • redrawredraw Posts: 1,271
    Saw them twice over here in Oz.

First time was supporting Ben Harper - half recognised 2 guys walking out of the toilets before the gig - 10mins later when they came on stage I was kicking myself when I realised it was Stone & Shawn!!! (yes, they were using the venue facilities with all of the punters)

2nd time was the 2003 tour in a small club on the Gold Coast - it actually got moved into an even smaller bar are at the club which made it incredibly intimate!!!
    Got to chat to the band on stage after the gig (except Stone who took off straight away).
    Shawn was super cool - I still have my ticket that he signed  :)

I also managed to track down a fan shot video of that entire gig a few years back...
    '95: Brisbane BEC March 21 & 22 '98: Brisbane BEC March 14 & 15 '03: Brad Surfers Paradise Troccadero Jan 11
    '03: Brisbane BEC Feb 8 '06: Brisbane BEC Nov 10 & 11 '09: Brisbane QSAC Nov 25
    '11: EV Solo Brisbane QPAC March 10, 12 & 13 '11: PJ20 Alpine Valley Sep 3 & 4
    '14: Gold Coast BDO Jan 19 EV Solo QPAC Feb 22, 23 & 25
  • Go AnimalGo Animal Posts: 3,920
    Listening to Shame on loop and being so in love with that record, back in the 90s.  
    Did some road trips where my one buddy and I would listen to it a bunch of times, until our friends would yell and scream for another choice.

Still love it.  The strangest part about that first album is We.  Specifically, the last ten seconds or so.  Always have to skip it when I listen with my family, who really like this album as well.

20th Century is such a cool night time driving song
    PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, all of Vitalogy or Satan's Bed, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways (full band), You Are, Bu$hleaguer, Inside Job, low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Of The Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Comfortably Numb, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!

• BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 555
    edited November 2021
    Saw them in 96 or 97 in Phoenix when they were touring Interiors. They did a record store signing and got the album signed by the band. They were are chill and friendly to 15 or 16 year old me. I made some silly request and fired off a question or two at Stone.

Still have clear memories of the show. It was a very small venue and the sound was amazing. Super funky show. I was definitely in the Stone zone. Going to have to look for that setlist. Thanks for the post and long live Brad.

edit: couldn’t find setlist but somebody’s got some photos in a public gallery. Lol, Stone! How could I forget that outfit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan_roxx/3818959422/
    Post edited by BloodMeridian80 on
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,694
    edited November 2021
    Go Animal said:

20th Century is such a cool night time driving song
    Agreed on 20th century. 
    My memories are of a wonderful spur of the moment trip to see them in Birmingham  u.k
     And hearing all the  songs from shame i grew up to. Blew my mind. Stone on bongo  for 20th century  and jumpin jack flash was great. 
     Best of all we got to meet them  all and chatted  for a good while after. Lovely  real people.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Some great memories! I caught them on the 2003 Oz tour in Margaret River. Unforgettable night chatting with the entire band. I hope the unreleased stuff makes it out some day. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,970
    I saw them live in 1997 in St Pete, FL. Fantastic band. Lots of energy. 

I heard something awhile back about them possibly releasing some live Brad on vinyl. I think this was pre-Covid, so who knows if it will ever happen. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • BrainOfJHABrainOfJHA KC Posts: 695
    So glad I got to see them in Kansas City when they did the tour opening up for Band of Horses.   
    So glad I got to see them in Kansas City when they did the tour opening up for Band of Horses.   
    Me too! I saw them for the STL show. They did an in-store at Vintage Vinyl and I got to chat with them again before they went on. Also where I got my band signed 'Best Friends' LP there too. I have video of that in-store. They played Upon My Shoulders and a newer song. Wish I knew how to post it! 
    www.cluthelee.com
    Little something I threw together just now. These are my favorite BRAD songs. 

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2svHbAZ8KzlZl0vHxTTq5L?si=3f559d64da144f43
    www.cluthelee.com
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Easily one of my favorite bands fronted by one of my all-time favorite songwriters.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Go AnimalGo Animal Posts: 3,920

Sweet
    PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, all of Vitalogy or Satan's Bed, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways (full band), You Are, Bu$hleaguer, Inside Job, low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Of The Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Comfortably Numb, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!

• my_wavemy_wave clearwater, FL Posts: 335
    Secret Girl is a classic, I still have a sealed copy of Interiors, they were definitely a very unique and interesting band...
    st. pete '94
    west palm beach '98
    tampa '00
    tampa '03
    tampa '08
    brooklyn '13
    austin '14
    austin '14
    tampa '16

ed - clearwater '12
    ed - clearwater '12
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    I remember seeing the video for 20th Century on late night TV in the UK and being hooked straight away. All of their records are pretty great, but I always felt Welcome To Discovery Park got overlooked and didn't get the recognition it deserved. 
    Hopefully the new / unreleased songs are released someday.

I love this post from Shawn's Instagram feed, his last post before he passed:

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Saw them in 96 or 97 in Phoenix when they were touring Interiors. They did a record store signing and got the album signed by the band. They were are chill and friendly to 15 or 16 year old me. I made some silly request and fired off a question or two at Stone.

edit: couldn’t find setlist but somebody’s got some photos in a public gallery. Lol, Stone! How could I forget that outfit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan_roxx/3818959422/
    Wow, the photo #877, if you'd given me no context and we weren't on a PJ message board and you'd shown me that pic and asked me who that was, I'd have had NO CLUE! He looks himself in the other pics but that pic he just looks so different.  And yes, that is the most "opposite of grunge" outfit possible :lol:
  • PJ5a1PJ5a1 Oceanside, NY Posts: 400
    I wish I had the opportunity to see them live... I am surprised that PJ does not pay tribute to Shawn by performing of their songs... a very very under-rated band
    If I were Eddie Vedder, would you like me any better? - Local H
    goldrush said:
    I remember seeing the video for 20th Century on late night TV in the UK and being hooked straight away. All of their records are pretty great, but I always felt Welcome To Discovery Park got overlooked and didn't get the recognition it deserved. 
    Hopefully the new / unreleased songs are released someday.

I love this post from Shawn's Instagram feed, his last post before he passed:

Discovery Park will always be my favorite of theirs. I remember going in on its release day to buy it and the cashier looked at one of his fellow employees and said "see, I told you at least one person would buy this". 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Welcome to Discovery Park is definitely my favorite as well. I love all of their albums, but that album really shows their range.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:
    Welcome to Discovery Park is definitely my favorite as well. I love all of their albums, but that album really shows their range.
    Agreed. I had trouble picking my favorites for my Spotify 'Best of' I made yesterday! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,275
    Man.  This one still hurts!  I'm still in denial that Shawn is not with us anymore.  I've only recently been able to listen to his music again.  GREAT memories!  I think i saw most if not all the Seattle shows they  ever played.  One of my favorites was going all three night of a three night stand they did at the Breakroom in 01 (I think the club name changed to Chop Suey). Also when they started playing covers like Purple Rain and Benny And The Jets were mind blowing.
    mr bungle said:
    Man.  This one still hurts!  I'm still in denial that Shawn is not with us anymore.  I've only recently been able to listen to his music again.  GREAT memories!  I think i saw most if not all the Seattle shows they  ever played.  One of my favorites was going all three night of a three night stand they did at the Breakroom in 01 (I think the club name changed to Chop Suey). Also when they started playing covers like Purple Rain and Benny And The Jets were mind blowing.
    One of my old record store co-workers saw them in the 90s at a small bar in downtown St.Louis and she said their cover of Purple Rain was mind blowing. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Interiors is just one of the greatest albums of all time.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    static111 said:
    Agreed. What's your favorite song from it? 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314

Thanks
  • Its shame for me. It was the cd of my youth. Im gonna blast it now and raise  a glass to shawn
     A great man who never got to where he deserved to be
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    static111 said:
    Agreed. What's your favorite song from it? 
    Lift, Circle + Line, or day Brings...its a toss up  wish they would reissue the vinyl
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • https://youtu.be/3j1BtgVnZVw
    This is the  night after but stone on bongo. Wonderful and haunting 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• He fuckin rips those shits
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07