Memories,Meetings,Memorabilia and the story and pictures behind them.

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Get_Right said:
    Love the feedback. No photos from 96, but I can say, that we walked out of that pit and into cold Heinekens and hot dogs, which at the time might as well have been caviar.
    That pit was no joke!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    edited October 2021
    Loujoe said:
    Cool and wow. I guess I should buy a tux when I turn 21!
    Save the hassle and just get a tux tattooed all over your body.  Then when you suddenly have a chance to hang with the superstars, you don't have to rush home to grab your tux, you just take it all off and viola: Insta-Tux (gotta have black tie undies though).

Also gotta say I admire how much living you've lived (and how many people you've pissed off from your posts in this convo) and you're not even 21 yet Loujoe! Amazing!
    =)
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    mcgruff10 said:
    Get_Right said:
    Love the feedback. No photos from 96, but I can say, that we walked out of that pit and into cold Heinekens and hot dogs, which at the time might as well have been caviar.
    That pit was no joke!
    Out of body experience.  Was seriously lifted in the air and pushed about 10 feet forward during Animal. 

So same friend, makes the same call and we get tickets and backstage passes. we get there and we realize the passes are for the 28th.  Now these were Epic records hospitality passes, not all access passes.  The Epic team lets us in and says "no problem, welcome to our little party!" We are in a large tent and there is a casual spread, nothing too fancy, but cold beers, snacks, sandwiches and a dude working burgers and dogs on the grill.  We looked around and Pearl Jam had its own little tunnel system of tents all roped off and clearly friends and family only.  We are standing in our area backstage and we watch Pearl jam walk towards the stage about 100 feet in front of us!  We felt special, it was nice!  We make our way out of the tent into the crowd and we are about 30 people deep in the heart of the pit.  BRUTAL.  We find space and are able to duck in and out of the backstage area without issue.  Free beers, food and bathrooms! WHAT A SHOW.  I walk away in total awe.  I have seen some great shows in my day, but Randalls II will always be special to me. 

This was also my first PJ show and to say that it changed me is a total understatement. I often tell people that was the day Ed replaced Jerry in my musical life. Ohana 1 was show number 60!
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,601
    Great story!!  Thanks for sharing.
     I was there up through animal. My bud and I got too squashed and retreated to the back via that middle security aisle. Buzz kill to be in front then wayyyy back. Couldn't handle it. Wasn't even a pit up front. Just a mass of pushing and feeling my ribs bend where they shouldn't. 
    Keep these stories flowing if you have any.
    A great escape back in time.
  • Question about the VIP dinner @Get_Right!

How did the bouncer "know" you weren't supposed to be there?  The Tux give it away?  You could have been someone's manager for all they know.

Tom Morello often has people over and at a certain point he yells "if u don't know who i am get the hell out"  Where the hangers leave and he jams with other musicians.  I wonder if that party was like that?!?
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,701
    edited October 2021
    i just re found this.
    When you  see ben he looks so miserable and unapproachable, so when he walked past the line to have a smoke it was a bit scary. But he was a really nice guy and obliged us with  photos. What giant guy. Im 6ft and he dwarfed me. His hands are like shovels. Anyway  top guy
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Question about the VIP dinner @Get_Right!

How did the bouncer "know" you weren't supposed to be there?  The Tux give it away?  You could have been someone's manager for all they know.

Tom Morello often has people over and at a certain point he yells "if u don't know who i am get the hell out"  Where the hangers leave and he jams with other musicians.  I wonder if that party was like that?!?
    I stood out like a sore thumb.  I think I was a victim of "clear the room." Probably similar to Morello.
  • I don't have any stories but just chiming in to say this thread is an amazing read, one of the boards best.  
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,701
    edited October 2021
    Great  reads indeed. I just  re read the thread.  I have more  but im about  to move house  next week and i will go through  all my stuff and post some
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • The story behind this is...
    I went to see soundgarden with my good friends  mick and marta, 1st night was either Manchester  or Birmingham  cant recall. Anyway we were in the rail it was epic. Half way through  chris pointed at me and said give me your  shirt. So i took off my shirt  and threw him it. (Marta has a picture of him holding  it up to the crowd. I alas do not, i miss marta and mick. )
    Anyhow i was 16 stone and shirtless. Now i realised this. But c.c was holding my shirt so i was in a daze. 
    He threw it back and we all were happy.
    Next show me and marta were there early and we heard sound check and wondered nearer to the  sound. Then it stopped and we chatted with a French  friend.  Before we knew it the  stage doors flung open and out came matt and kim. Marta was selfless enough  to speak out to matt and say xan my friend  have a photo . He said sure and signed my shirt  . Marta then said could he have your sweatband. He gave it to me amd a drum stick. 
    I was floored then kim came and i asked and he signed  it too.
    It was surreal.  
    When s.g  played london marta wasn't  there and matts roadie  came found me in the queue  and said matt wants your shirt to put in his tour case (i had a few. So retired the signed one of course). I had no other  shirt  so he gave me a road crew tour shirt. We swapped. 
    Long story short. He gave me a sweatband. 
    I sent  it in the post to marta and gave mick the  crew shirt. 
    Friends for life although i lost contact with marta that saddens me.
    But to give is better than to recieve.
    Big love
    from the same night. The said sweatband.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Very nice Rob^^^

Quick story I'm sure I told before. back in 89 maybe 90,  friend of mine likes voivod. "Hey they are playing at a dirty club city gardens, do you want to go?"  Sure. Oh yeah Faith no more and Soundgarden are opening for them. Ok. I knew little about each band. Drove to trenton and landed in time for Faith no more. Dang they were great!! Then soundgarden where a screaming topless cc (hot and I'm all man) in doc martins climbed the (bloodied from gwar show) ceiling and kicked it in above my head. Damn. What a memory...
    Then voivod was pretty killer too.

Saw that line-up again at the ritz nyc.

Met cc in Toronto and talked about that tour and show.  He was a gentleman to me.

Killer life.
  • Agreed lou
     Cc was one good looking dude
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

edited October 2021
    Loujoe said:
    Very nice Rob^^^

Quick story I'm sure I told before. back in 89 maybe 90,  friend of mine likes voivod. "Hey they are playing at a dirty club city gardens, do you want to go?"  Sure. Oh yeah Faith no more and Soundgarden are opening for them. Ok. I knew little about each band. Drove to trenton and landed in time for Faith no more. Dang they were great!! Then soundgarden where a screaming topless cc (hot and I'm all man) in doc martins climbed the (bloodied from gwar show) ceiling and kicked it in above my head. Damn. What a memory...

Met cc in Toronto and talked about that tour and show.  He was a gentleman to me.

Killer life.
    I only got to see 2 shows at City Gardens (and neither with a killer lineup like yours), but I LOVED that place! Dirty, sweaty, felt like a basement, but great energy, loved it!

Great story too!  Over the years I see guys who are not into guys but find Ed hot call themselves "Veddersexual".  I wonder what the Chris Cornell equivalent version is, because no surprise at all he had the same effect on everyone, regardless of orientation!
    He was hot, but I wouldn't have gone out for drinks with him after the show!!  Not that there's anything wrong with that.
  • JH6056 said:
    Loujoe said:
    Very nice Rob^^^

Killer life.
    I only got to see 2 shows at City Gardens (and neither with a killer lineup like yours), but I LOVED that place! Dirty, sweaty, felt like a basement, but great energy, loved it!

Great story too!  Over the years I see guys who are not into guys but find Ed hot call themselves "Veddersexual".  I wonder what the Chris Cornell equivalent version is, because no surprise at all he had the same effect on everyone, regardless of orientation!
     "Veddersexual"

What da fuq!?!
    JH6056 said:
    Loujoe said:
    Very nice Rob^^^

Killer life.

"Veddersexual"

What da fuq!?!
    TELL ME you've been a PJ fan for decades and have never heard that term!!! LOL!

Actually Loujoe was close with his "won't go out for drinks after", because if I remember the standard correctly at the time, it was "I only like women but I wouldn't kick Eddie Vedder out of bed", that made you "Veddersexual".

Granted, I was absent from all things PJ for a good 10 yrs until about 2013 so maybe the concept died then?  If so, nice job Loujoe for resurrecting what clearly needed resurrecting!
    I'm going to carefully put my phone down and walk away. It was a fun few minutes. Love you all
    Loujoe said:
    I'm going to carefully put my phone down and walk away. It was a fun few minutes. Love you all
    Love you too Loujoe! Hopefully there will be many great new stories when you return but don't stay away too long!
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Loujoe said:
    Very nice Rob^^^

Killer life.
    I'll follow this with my own minor Voivod/Soundgarden story....

I'm originally from DC and I had gone down to the Bayou in Georgetown to pick up some tickets for myself and some friends for 3 or 4 shows because no service charge at the club. I have no memory of what shows those were but as I was walking in and at the ticket window a band was loading in. What caught my attention was the tall, bearded, long haired East Indian dude. I asked what band they were with and he laughed and said "we are the band". I looked at the wall schedule and asked were they Voivod and he said "nope Soundgarden". I responded with " I have no idea who you are where are you from and whats your genre?". As we were talking Chris came out and joined the conversation. They recommended some other bands to try and find, Mudhoney and Green River among them. At some point  my connection to Henry Rollins and Ian McKay came up and that led the conversation down another direction. I'm sure there was more to it but thats lost to time. Didn't go to the show that night and I didn't see them till Lollapalooza '92 which was my 4th PJ show as well.
    Great story about MC and CC.  Reminds me of the shows at the Agora ballroom in Hartford, but more MTV than 90s (INXS,Tubes, Stray Cats, the English Beat, Missing Persons, Joe S as the Clash).  Loved the gritty venues that no longer exist.  
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Loujoe said:
    Cool and wow. I guess I should buy a tux when I turn 21!
    Careful - I bought a suit at 23. By the time I needed to wear one, I needed to buy another. 🤨
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    been a fan since 92. never heard Veddersexual until just now. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited October 2021
    I guess it's not the kind of thing you advise someone to "catch up" on, but yes, I remember it coming up often '93-'00 and I loved it, PJ once again pushing boundaries and helping people evolve! =)=) 

Post edited by JH6056 on
  • JH6056 said:
    JH6056 said:
    Loujoe said:
    Very nice Rob^^^

Killer life.

"Veddersexual"

What da fuq!?!

Actually Loujoe was close with his "won't go out for drinks after", because if I remember the standard correctly at the time, it was "I only like women but I wouldn't kick Eddie Vedder out of bed", that made you "Veddersexual".

Granted, I was absent from all things PJ for a good 10 yrs until about 2013 so maybe the concept died then?  If so, nice job Loujoe for resurrecting what clearly needed resurrecting!
    Fan since 91, been on the boards since 2011.  Thankfully have never heard that egregious term before now...

If I did it was washed from my mind thankfully.
    JH6056 said:
    JH6056 said:
    Loujoe said:
    Very nice Rob^^^

Killer life.

"Veddersexual"

What da fuq!?!

Fan since 91, been on the boards since 2011.  Thankfully have never heard that egregious term before now...

If I did it was washed from my mind thankfully.
    Well, if you guys are serious and you actually find it offensive, I've no problem deleting those comments.  It was always said in good spirit and humor at the time, and I don't remember it ever being censored by the Admins, but I've no interest in using a phrase that fans see offensive or problematic, so just say the word in this case... fine with deleting.
    offensive? haha. no. I just never heard it. and I'm pretty sure tempo is being tongue in cheek. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

It's not offensive, it is just like nahh man! Don't go there!

if it was a choice between Veddersexual and "it doesn't get eddie vedder than this", I choose the former. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

if it was a choice between Veddersexual and "it doesn't get eddie vedder than this", I choose the former. 
    I will take all of the above over "the boys"
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Same! Well, fan since 95 or 96, but nonetheless...
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory