Big Wreck/Thornley

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    it seems they've softened on talking about his unreleased demos, but now only through Patreon. They started that up a couple months ago, and did a "submit a question to the band" and they used Good Son as a way to grab people to subscribe. They had a fan video his question in "when will this ever be on a record" and you had to subscribe to get the answer. They finally released it to the Patreon sub's, but it's the same version everyone already has. 

so, yeah, I think you're right, but my guess it's more of a monetary issue; they want to control all of his material for maximum exposure and financial viability. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• MattRHMattRH Alberta, Canada Posts: 11
    No, I only have the MySpace demos you do. I think you were the one that sent them to me. So the release through Patreon isn’t higher quality than the ones already around? If they start releasing demos through Patreon I’ll consider subscribing, I was only aware they were doing promo for the new album through it. Unfortunately I’ve scoured the web for 3-4 years now looking for those Come Again demos with no luck, only dead links on every forum and no responses when I reach out to fans that might already have them. Like I said, the muzzle on the community when it comes to those ones is tight. The closest I’ve gotten has been incomplete old live bootlegs from YouTube during his “Supergroup” shows post first breakup in ‘02 where they played some unreleased stuff, and a bootleg of Motionless from before the breakup. Links to the full shows are also dead everywhere. I’m only 23, so I got into the band late around ‘16-‘17 and when I started looking all the blogs were long dead and threads on other forums were more recent, but the links were also dry.
    I'm not 100% sure of the quality, but someone on the fan page commented it was the same version that everyone already had. Yeah, I've been scouring the net for years for those demos to no avail. I'm "friends" with Ken. I wonder if it would be offside for me to ask him. He'd probably decline since Ian wrote all of the music. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

fucks sakes. got the demo tape in the mail today and I was so stoked to play it. my "EZCAP" cassette capture is playing it (and my other cassettes, I tried) noticeably slow. so now I have to buy a new cassette deck that will transfer to MP3, since I have a bunch of old band practice tapes I was planning on transferring as well. bummer. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

bump. any suggestions would be super helpful

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Big Wreck just posted on their socials about the 15th anniversary of The Pleasure and the Greed is coming up, with a pic of master tapes. Wonder if this means there will be a release of some kind?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    edited May 2021
    Going on a slight tangent here, but if anyone caught the last tour, my buddy’s cousin plays bass in the opening act, Texas King.

Edit because it’s bass, not base, lol. Proofreading is one’s friend, lol.
    Post edited by DarthMaeglin on
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
    I seem to remember that band name. can't recall how much of their set I caught though. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• MattRHMattRH Alberta, Canada Posts: 11
    My guess is they intend on remixing it. I'd hope for that. Some songs suffer badly from the brickwalled mix and have no oomph on the bass, drums, or gutiars in some parts. Needs to sound cleaner.
    if anyone is interested in the big wreck demo tape I just shelled out an arm and a leg for, someone posted it to youtube. it wasn't me. I know who did it, and it was at the specific direction of the original drummer (who I bought the tape from). i was pretty annoyed. He explicitly told me not to share the files in any way. makes me believe these won't be available anywhere else. so I bought it. then he tells someone else to share it. 

I messaged him and told him what a waste of money it turned out to be. he claims it is "worth way more than that" and it's "still a really cool thing to own" and "plus, now you got to be friends with the original drummer".  :|

if it gets pulled off youtube, let me know and i'll send you tracks. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

new song tomorrow, with a CRINGE special guest spot.  :|
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• RoeDawg13RoeDawg13 Posts: 246
    new song tomorrow, with a CRINGE special guest spot.  :|

Yeah, not sure what to make of that one. Guess I'll find out soon enough

Also, that's really not cool with Forrest... sorry it turned out that way for you
    I am wired and fading...
    Chad Kroeger sings backing vocals or something to that effect. Not good reviews so far from our Australian friends who have downloaded it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 630
    edited June 2021
    https://youtu.be/5j8yo_L53vc

I like the song, but don't love it. Will be interesting to see how it grows on me with more listens. But regardless it's great to have new BW. And while I roll my eyes at Chad being on the song, he doesn't distract from it as much as I thought he would. 
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
    apparently there is some sign language in the second verse "for all the haters". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

some fighting continues between Forest and Ian/management on a 20th Anniversary of The Pleasure And The Greed. they couldn't come to terms on compensation; meanwhile Forest has been posting "drum along to" videos on youtube with a few BW songs from his era in the band. Even though those videos have been up for over a year, management filed copyright claims and so now Forest is going all in on suing them for the name, songs he wrote that were never used during his time in the band but have shown up on subsequent albums since the reunion (unverified claim), etc. 

Who knows, though. Forest seems to be all over the place with his "letting it go" and "getting all riled up", so we'll see if it goes anywhere. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

new EP "7.1" out November 19th. First single Bombs Away out now. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

new EP out today. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

In early January, Big Wreck recorded this haunting version of Sting's classic, "Russians". What was purely a topical situation at the time, has clearly now unfolded to be a volatile and terrifying situations for millions. We have decided to release this song, with 100% of all proceeds going to the UNHRC (A United Nations Refugee Aid Organization). This organization is working to provide support and aid to refugees currently fleeing the violent situation in Ukraine.

https://bigwreckmusic.bandcamp.com/track/russians

and you can set your price, if you wish to donate more than the minimum. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• KM73780KM73780 Posts: 1,033
    Purchased but didn’t listen yet 
    Really enjoyed 7.1
    Going to check out the Russians single later today
    I am wired and fading...
    edited June 2022
    Big Wreck's 7.2 out in a couple weeks. Four different physical release options:

1) standard cd
    2) standard cd signed by band
    3) cd with one bonus track 
    4) cd with one bonus track signed by band

https://big-wreck-7-2.myshopify.com/
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Hopefully the bonus track is something completely new. Or at least a proper recording of one of the myspace demod
    I am wired and fading...
    I bought option 4, but you're right, I'm very skeptical that it will be something we haven't heard. Maybe it will be Russians. otherwise, why not list it on the cd? is that their way of trying to get around having to pay royalties on a cover song?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

My guess is not Russians because they said it wouldn't be streaming for a while. They do have a few things from the TPATG anniversary that never happened, although I would still like to see that, perhaps on the next anniversary mark
    I am wired and fading...
    what do they have from the TPATG anniversary?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

There's a few songs floating around from demo tapes that were rumoured to be included in the anniversary thing that never happened, supposedly because of Forrest. Over the Clouds is the only one I can think of off the top of my head but I have a few more of them somewhere. Not great sounding quality though
    I am wired and fading...
    LOL, I forgot I have all those demos. Forrest seems like such a dick. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

7.2 is in my mailbox. can't wait to listen tonight. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I've been enjoying it. 3 of the tunes are great and I like the other 2 as well 
    I am wired and fading...