Big Wreck/Thornley

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    RoeDawg13 said:
    RoeDawg13 said:
    also, new single Locomotive is on digital services, and is the lead single for upcoming album But For The Sun. Not sure how Brian's diagnosis will affect upcoming touring and the release of the record. They have some dates lined up this summer, and they are already talking like the end is near for Brian. 
    It sucks for sure. As for the touring, probably as a trio since they were doing that over the past year anyways.
    they were? I didn't realize they did any dates since the ILMO anniversary tour. 

A few one offs and festival shows. They mentioned that Brian would not be there due to illness but didn't go any further than that.
    oh, so that's why they were saying people were asking questions. i was like 'how does a normal fan know anything like that?'
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

RIP Brian Doherty. fuck cancer. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298

ahhhh man

that's too bad.

RIP Brian

• DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 630

A bunch new tour dates just announced! Been waiting about 20 years to be close enough to see them again. Pumped there's a Phoenix/Tempe date!
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
  • RoeDawg13RoeDawg13 Posts: 246
    DC29940 said:

A bunch new tour dates just announced! Been waiting about 20 years to be close enough to see them again. Pumped there's a Phoenix/Tempe date!
    I'll be hitting Rochester
    I am wired and fading...
    I didn't realize they were still popular enough in the US for that extensive a tour. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I didn't realize they were still popular enough in the US for that extensive a tour. 
    I don't think the number of dates is an issue, but I was surprised at the venue they are playing in Tempe. It maxes out at 2,500. That seems a bit ambitious to me. But hey, what do I know. Hopefully they sell a bunch of tickets and tons of people get to see this amazing band. Looking forward to the show regardless of how many people are there. 
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
    new album august 30. ...but for the sun. coming here nov 14. can't wait. it seems they are officially a 3 piece now that brian is gone. i guess they aren't replacing him, which will make things interesting live. we shall see. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,225
    new album august 30. ...but for the sun. coming here nov 14. can't wait. it seems they are officially a 3 piece now that brian is gone. i guess they aren't replacing him, which will make things interesting live. we shall see. 
    Big music day with Tool and Big Wreck albums.
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13

Do we know if Brian was part of this new album when recording?

hard to know. the press release i read seemed to indicate that recording of the record was completed prior to him becoming sick, or something of the like.  
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

It sounds like Ian recorded all the guitar parts on this album as well as the last one. For Grace Street he said in an interview that recording was just him with Dave (bass) and Chuck (drums) and that was an economic and timing decision but that Brian (and Paulo at the time) would add their own flavors to the songs live.
    I am wired and fading...
    what's wrong with the quoting function again? fuck this website. 

anyway, i find it really odd that they were the only two remaining original bw members and brian didn't contribute in the studio. how odd. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

There may have been some collaboration. It's so easy to send licks and riffs back and forth to each other these days and I wouldn't be surprised by that. Who knows? Nobody that's said anything anyway. I'm curious to go through the Grace Street book and see what it has in there
    I am wired and fading...

Same thing as Big Sugar. Gordie had Garry Lowe in the band for bass, and a great bass player at that, but yet Gordie almost always laid down the bass on the studio tracks himself. Never understood that.

VIP packages went on sale this morning for the upcoming tour, and it's easily one of the most affordable artist VIPs I've seen. Says via their website it's $69.99 CAD, which roughly converts to $53 USD. And it includes the vinyl (which I was going to buy anyways), tote, soundcheck experience, and meet & greet. Heck of a deal as far as I'm concerned.
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
    DC29940 said:

VIP packages went on sale this morning for the upcoming tour, and it's easily one of the most affordable artist VIPs I've seen. Says via their website it's $69.99 CAD, which roughly converts to $53 USD. And it includes the vinyl (which I was going to buy anyways), tote, soundcheck experience, and meet & greet. Heck of a deal as far as I'm concerned.
    the last vip for ILMO tour it was $100 or more (can't recall) without ticket, and didn't include a tote bag. lol. the vinyl was signed, but you can easily get this one signed at the meet and greet. 

it is pretty cheap, but just to caution, my vip experience was a bit of a disappointment. two songs they wouldn't be playing at that night's show, but the meet and greet portion was a 10 second picture with the band. no time for questions or anything of the like. all depends on your expectations. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,848
    Ian would be a perfect to do a one-off in Cornell's shoes if they ever got into the hall of fame. 
    Been listening to the new singles, yeah man, Ian definitely has a CC sound. I was always into Thornley first till I ventured into Big Wreck. I think he would be great for something if they did anything. Did he sing anything at the tribute?
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

Attaway77 said:
    Ian would be a perfect to do a one-off in Cornell's shoes if they ever got into the hall of fame. 
    Been listening to the new singles, yeah man, Ian definitely has a CC sound. I was always into Thornley first till I ventured into Big Wreck. I think he would be great for something if they did anything. Did he sing anything at the tribute?
    no. i think that would have been seen as imitating. like if nirvana had invited daniel johns (silverchair) to the hall of fame. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

DC29940 said:

the last vip for ILMO tour it was $100 or more (can't recall) without ticket, and didn't include a tote bag. lol. the vinyl was signed, but you can easily get this one signed at the meet and greet. 

it is pretty cheap, but just to caution, my vip experience was a bit of a disappointment. two songs they wouldn't be playing at that night's show, but the meet and greet portion was a 10 second picture with the band. no time for questions or anything of the like. all depends on your expectations. 
    Yeah, I'm not getting my hopes up too high or anything. It'll be cool for the experience of whatever it is, and will be nice to shake Ian's hand and thank him for the music I dig so much.
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
    NEW RECORD DROPS. I know it's going to be massively overshadowed by Tool's release, but these guys are worth a listen. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Hugh, let me know what you think of the album once you’ve consumed it. 
    Im going to a wedding today and won’t get the chance. 
    i'm listening now, but on a crappy speaker at work. So far, so meh, I regret to say. But sometimes opinions change after being able to listen on headphones or alone where I can really digest it. I'm yurting this weekend, so can't give a review till next week. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

i'm listening now, but on a crappy speaker at work. So far, so meh, I regret to say. But sometimes opinions change after being able to listen on headphones or alone where I can really digest it. I'm yurting this weekend, so can't give a review till next week. 
    I listened to it in headphones in its entirety this morning at the gym. I thought it was great and can't wait to give it more spins.
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• tinz.tinz. Posts: 2,686
    Speaking of thornley... spring cleaning and found some old gems. 1 is new 1 not so much lol. Anyone interested in the new one trade etc?
    EV~Toronto Night 2 - 2008
    Toronto - 2009
    NYC Night 2 - 2010
    Toronto Night 2 - 2011
    Music Midtown, Atlanta - 2012
    London,ON - 2013
    Wrigley Field, Chicago - 2013
    Buffalo - 2013
    Charlottesville - 2013
    Charlotte - 2013
    Detroit - 2014
    Ottawa - 2016
    Toronto Night 1&2 - 2016
    Wrigley Field 1, Chicago - 2016
    EV~Dana Point CA - 2016
    Wrigley Field 1, Chicago - 2018
    I just became aware of the existence of a Big Wreck demo tape that was circulated by Bernie Breen Management (of The Management Trust) to record companies prior to them being signed. Only about 100 of them exist. Only one song on the demo ended up being released: Overemphasizing. Tracklisting of the cassette:

Overemphasizing
    Surface Scratches
    Out of the Fog
    Hey Kid
    Routine
    Holding Water

The original drummer is selling his cassette for $2500 US, and he claims he's going to use it to fund other musicians, AND you have to sign a legal agreement not to share the songs. 

Unreal. Can't say I didn't consider it. LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

so I bought it. but I lowballed him a LOT. still an insane amount for a cassette, but so incredibly rare, I couldn't pass it up. Ian Thornley is one of my faves. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• MattRHMattRH Alberta, Canada Posts: 11
    Damn, congrats! Quite the collectors item. I’ve noticed that Thornley or record execs are intensely set on keeping his demos from getting out. Even the demos for the Come Again album and others he released himself on MySpace have been completely scrubbed from the internet, which is a weird reversal. No one in any of the fan groups can even mention them it seems, otherwise it’s radio silence whenever someone does ask about them. And a freaking NDA just seems ridiculous. Even the 20th anniversary version of ILMO only had the two already released B-Sides added, despite the 4 previous years of sessionsdemos/recordings to pull from. On top of that the source they used for Still Holding sounds terrible and clearly not sourced from the original master and likely a low quality cassette, while Ill Advice sounds fine (from what I remember Still Holding was only available on a hard to get Maxi CD single, while Ill Advice was also available on a more attainable contemporary Canadian compilation CD that I have a copy of). Methinks Ian either doesn’t own the rights to those early tapes and doesn’t want to fuck with the labels, or he’s extremely restrictive when it comes to what he wants out there. I know he released the Come Again demos because he was dissatisfied with the direction Roadrunner forced him to take the songs (lack of solos), and he wanted the “true” version of the songs out there. He also posted other song demos online from that era between the second Thornley album. It seems that around when he restarted Big Wreck he either got shit from Roadrunner and had those demos taken down, or that with more creative control he didn’t want them out there. Either way, I’ve never seen an artist have demos (even ones he released himself!) so thoroughly scrubbed from the internet, and be so reluctant to release any material from their archives, on top of having such a tight leash on their own fan community that everyone’s tight lipped and the subject is unmentionable. It baffles me, considering the quality of his output.

sorry for the rant. How’s the tape though, if you can talk about it?
    we'll see when I get it. He is sending it tomorrow morning. 

Do you have those Come Again and Tiny Pictures demos? I don't think I have those. I have the myspace demos, which I love (and some of them ended up on subsequent BW albums and his solo record, in more fleshed-out form). 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD