Ohana Encore Weekend

Comments

• curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    I have VIP and I think the views from where VIP rail is, are quite great. Yes you gotta stand (or steal a stool) but that view with very little effort to get it is pretty amazing.

That said, I need to be closer so I was out in GA. However the vip makes taking those quick bathtoom/drink/food breaks insanely fast so you can get back to your held spot. Is it worth that $? 🤷‍♂️
    No... because all the years I've beento this festival I've never had problem with those things
    I have to agree here.  In GA you do need to go to the port-o-lets which takes an extra few minutes but I never had an issue getting an open one immediately...sometimes you just have to go to the back as people will line up at the front units but the back is totally open.

Food and beer was always pretty easy to get except for them cutting off at 9pm.

VIP pissed me off for the first Sunday.  The complimentary "gourmet bites" they were supposed to offer were sparse.  As soon as they replenished them the vultures ran in and gobbled them all up. Then they stopped serving at 6PM!

That scene tends to be a lot like sample carts at Costco. This weekend the new "thing" was to grab all of the tables and stools and haul them down to the rail. :-(
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    I have VIP and I think the views from where VIP rail is, are quite great. Yes you gotta stand (or steal a stool) but that view with very little effort to get it is pretty amazing.

That said, I need to be closer so I was out in GA. However the vip makes taking those quick bathtoom/drink/food breaks insanely fast so you can get back to your held spot. Is it worth that $? 🤷‍♂️
    No... because all the years I've beento this festival I've never had problem with those things
    I have to agree here.  In GA you do need to go to the port-o-lets which takes an extra few minutes but I never had an issue getting an open one immediately...sometimes you just have to go to the back as people will line up at the front units but the back is totally open.

VIP pissed me off for the first Sunday.  The complimentary "gourmet bites" they were supposed to offer were sparse.  As soon as they replenished them the vultures ran in and gobbled them all up. Then they stopped serving at 6PM!

That scene tends to be a lot like sample carts at Costco. This weekend the new "thing" was to grab all of the tables and stools and haul them down to the rail. :-(
    I saw the stools at the rail for the first Sunday and wondered what would happen when PJ came on.
    Sure enough before PJ the stools got passed overhead and out of the way.
    Not surprised people tried to do this with tables too.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Yeah we were laughing at the people with tables that were moving them around 7pm last Sunday.  They were likely thinking how great it will be to have a seated spot at a table to watch PJ only to be surrounded by other VIPs when PJ came on.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    Yeah we were laughing at the people with tables that were moving them around 7pm last Sunday.  They were likely thinking how great it will be to have a seated spot at a table to watch PJ only to be surrounded by other VIPs when PJ came on.

I guess my feeling is, you want to be on the rail, go ahead and put in the time. I want to sit way back at the tables and chill. Hauling all the tables down to the rail? Not cool.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.

I guess my feeling is, you want to be on the rail, go ahead and put in the time. I want to sit way back at the tables and chill. Hauling all the tables down to the rail? Not cool.
    Exactly.  I was surprised that no one came to make them move it back. It kind of gave everyone the go ahead to move whatever they wanted anywhere they wanted.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,308
    Beaches now closed in Dana Point thanks to the oil spill... no fishing in the waters, no anything... horrible impact on environment.  I'll moving south abs spreading.. not supposed to get us in SD....

See?  VIP huge waste of $$. I happily moved around the fringes of GA each night.. found spots to see and to jump and and dance. I'm same age as Ed and I can't be bothered to sit in one place all day. 
  • I have VIP and I think the views from where VIP rail is, are quite great. Yes you gotta stand (or steal a stool) but that view with very little effort to get it is pretty amazing.

See?  VIP huge waste of $$. I happily moved around the fringes of GA each night.. found spots to see and to jump and and dance. I'm same age as Ed and I can't be bothered to sit in one place all day. 
    Ohana is designed such that VIP is truly a waste of money. On the other hand at other festivals such as SHN you get more value out of it in my opinion.  You really need to understand the festival layout.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023

and to add....you had to walk a decent amount to get to the VIP johns....you could cut through those picnic tables but I wasn't going to do that after several beers since it involved climbing.

and to add....you had to walk a decent amount to get to the VIP johns....you could cut through those picnic tables but I wasn't going to do that after several beers since it involved climbing.
    Walk a decent amount? From where? I think people who'd never been here thought this Fest was big .. but it's really small grounds. Several times a night I walked from one end (near VIP entrance ) to Porta-potties near entrance with no problem... never a wait, and could always hear music 
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368

Walk a decent amount? From where? I think people who'd never been here thought this Fest was big .. but it's really small grounds. Several times a night I walked from one end (near VIP entrance ) to Porta-potties near entrance with no problem... never a wait, and could always hear music 
    Yup. Easy walk!

It was tiny compared to the other fest we used to attend (ACL).
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    edited October 2021

Yeah I didn't have a problem and could hear the music for sure but it isn't like they were extremely close to seating like the GA central restroom (which was impossible to use without a huge wait during PJ). Unless you were willing to hurdle the wall by the picnic tables which I was not.

One complaint....why couldn't they give us an entry when getting off the shuttle?  There was even a gate in the fence at the dropoff.

Once you got out of the shuttle you had to walk all the way around to get to the entrance.  Easy for VIP but it just seemed like there could have been an entrance there for those riding the shuttle.

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    One complaint....why couldn't they give us an entry when getting off the shuttle?  There was even a gate in the fence at the dropoff.

Once you got out of the shuttle you had to walk all the way around to get to the entrance.  Easy for VIP but it just seemed like there could have been an entrance there for those riding the shuttle.

All the way around? That was not a long walk at all.
    Get_Right said:

All the way around? That was not a long walk at all.
    Did I walk the wrong way? :)

We would exit the bus then walk back to the entrance of the park...past the VIP entrance...then enter by the merch tent.

Definitely a lot longer walk then if we could use the gate in the fence that was right there.

I have no issues with walking so don't look at this as a fitness complaint.  I'm all about time....walking through that gate saves time.  I like that.

• Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
    I was told on Friday I could pick up my VIP gift bag at the end of the show.  When I went over to pick it up, the whole VIP tent area was a ghost town.

I tried explaining the situation to a few security people on Saturday to see if they could help me out, but to say that they gave zero shits would be a tremendous understatement.

VIP was cool for one night, but if I do this festival again I'll just do GA.

Like others have said, cool, but not worth it.
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
    edited October 2021
    Saltzy23 said:
    I was told on Friday I could pick up my VIP gift bag at the end of the show.  When I went over to pick it up, the whole VIP tent area was a ghost town.

I tried explaining the situation to a few security people on Saturday to see if they could help me out, but to say that they gave zero shits would be a tremendous understatement.

I'm mostly pissed that I didn't get any free food.  Fucking 6pm cutoff?  Fuck that. Food vouchers would have been much better.

Saltzy23 said:

I'm mostly pissed that I didn't get any free food.  Fucking 6pm cutoff?  Fuck that. Food vouchers would have been much better.
    VIP is like Vegas.

You get your balls washed until the second you don't.....and when that happens, no one gives a single shit anymore. 
    I asked the guy manning the VIP entrance if i could please just walk down the path before where you enter so I could ask the people working the VIP tent if I could get my bags from Friday and he basically told me to fuck off.
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    Beaches now closed in Dana Point thanks to the oil spill... no fishing in the waters, no anything... horrible impact on environment.  I'll moving south abs spreading.. not supposed to get us in SD....
    How horrible. I spent some time Saturday morning walking around South Strand Beach enjoying the beautiful view and watching some surfers at the  cove by the caves. 
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,015
    San Clemente pier is where I hung out prior to Saturday show… took a dip, had a small pizza @ cosentinos, walked the pier then to see/hear this bullshit with the oil spill… I was telling the people I was with what a gem of an area, and how fortunate for places like this. Oops isn’t enough anymore, fuck these assholes

went to all 5 Ohana nights, Sea Hear Now… went by in a blink of the eye… but so good

caught Rams/Cards yesterday @ Sofi, got 8 rows off the field club seats for $110 last minute… 

• surforiasurforia SoCal Posts: 346
    potnik said:
    I really hope they don't move it (not just because I live here!) - it's a perfect location if they want to be on the beach with real surf.  There are 3 airports nearby (SD, John Wayne and LAX), and tons of musicians live up in LA and it's an easy drive down here.  I doubt NHC would have played if it was that much further away from LA.  I'm hoping the guy from Live Nation is saying that because he wants to move it to a spot with more capacity (just so they can sell tickets and make more money), but the vibe down here is great.
    9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 8/18/00, 10/8/00, 10/9/00, 4/28/03, 6/22/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 10/2/04, 10/5/04, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/28/06, 6/20/08, 6/25/08, 10/27/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/22/16, 9/26/21, 10/1/21, 10/2/21, 5/3/22, 5/6/22
  • jstu39jstu39 Posts: 140
    Interesting article. Hints at 2 weekends again next year in Dana Point then possibly a new location after 2022. This year was my first Ohana experience and I hope to do it again. 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Very sad to hear about the oil spill. Beautiful beaches. We enjoyed watching surfers at Salt Creek before the show on Friday and chilled at Crystal Cove area most of the day on Thursday. Just perfect. Even glimpsed a seal at Salt Creek cruising by the surfers.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    jstu39 said:
    Interesting article. Hints at 2 weekends again next year in Dana Point then possibly a new location after 2022. This year was my first Ohana experience and I hope to do it again. 
    Translation:  a negotiation tactic for post 2022.
  • sunvalleylawsunvalleylaw Posts: 110
    edited October 2021
    A buddy of mine suggested I could get a cabin at Crystal Cove if I just booked now, but with details, even the shuttle, not nailed down, hard to do.  If they do bring the encore back I would consider a week and a half vacation and make arrangements and go full in. But will wait to see what happens. 

I am very discouraged and pissed about the oil spill.  the dipshits are never held fully accountable to us.  As soon as I can (reasonably within a normal person's budget) get completely off oil, I will.  Fuck those companies. 
  • jstu39jstu39 Posts: 140
    jstu39 said:
    Translation:  a negotiation tactic for post 2022.
    I got the sense it was a capacity issue. The festival might be getting too big for the size of the park. I know some festivals have been at the Del Mar racetrack. Not sure if more people is the issue or if it’s only positioning. 
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Ugh. That sucks....absolutely beautiful stretch of beach.

That being said, I hope they don't move it. The location was perfect.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    mfc2006 said:
    Ugh. That sucks....absolutely beautiful stretch of beach.

That being said, I hope they don't move it. The location was perfect.
    I can't picture this festival being anywhere else and I don't think it was even close to over crowded.
    It's a hopeless situation...