*** Ohana Encore Fanviews Here 10/2/21 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
edited October 2021 in Given To Fly (live)
Pearl Jam
Ohana Festival
Dana Point, CA
10/02/21

Set List

band on stage 07:54
band off stage 10:06

01. Superblood Wolfmoon
02. All Night
03. Last Exit
(Ed thanks the bands and audience for the great shows.  Notes that Beck, who played one of his favorite shows ever yesterday was back today to watch.  He also spoke about a health issue he had that he got treated that allowed him to play yesterday and today)
04. Lukin
05. Corduroy
06. Dance Of The Clairvoyants
(Ed the next song is a fantasy that would only be for the very wealthy and we need to take care of our planet.  He thanks Surfrider Foundation for all of their good work and notes that he and Taylor Hawkins both caught their first waves right here)
07. Quick Escape
08. Wishlist/Waiting On A Friend (Changes lyric to “wishing on”-(Jagger, Richards) played for 40 seconds)
(Ed introduces his bad ass friend Mikey who has Epidermolysis Bullosa.  It is Mikey’s first show and his birthday.  Ed and Jill have a foundation working on a cure for the disease called EB Research Partnership) https://www.ebresearch.org
09. Given To Fly
(Josh Klinghoffer’s birthday.  Ed talks about Josh’s contributions to the live performances)
10. Seven O’clock (Ed sees something in crowd and stops the song.  Thanks the audience for their devotion and waiting so long on a very hot day.  Once it seems things are okay they pick up the song)
11. Not For You/Modern Girl-(Sleater Kinney) played for 1:20)
12. Even Flow
(Ed awards the amazing engine Matt Cameron the Iron Man award because he played in four bands today.  Some one in the crowd has a sign reading I play guitar can I get onstage.  Ed assures the person there is no way they could play a Matt Cameron song)
13. Take The Long Way
14. Unthought Known
15. Daughter
16. Once
17. Black
(Ed invites Brandi onstage and admires her Elton John inspired gold and glittery microphone)
18. Again Today-(Carlile) w/Brandi Carlile
(Ed talks about friendship, family and long relationships.  Jeff and Stone have been collaborating for 38 years)
19. Smile
(Talking about the powerful women who have been on the stages here and referring to new laws passed in Texas, Ed calls for the end to the oppression of woman now.)
20. Porch

Encore Break

(Ed thanks Mark Smith and others including the people at the state parks that have helped put on the Ohana Festival.  He also talks about the mayor of the city and how he rescued some people)
21.  Wasted Reprise
22.  Life Wasted
(Ed gets ahold of cardboard cut out of himself from years ago.  punches it and gives it wine)
23. Alive
24. Rockin' In The Free World-(Young) Corrine Tucker sings a verse. Taylor Hawkins & Chad Smith play drums, Andrew Watt plays guitar and many others  multiple guest from various bands, friends and family

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you!

Thank you, John for the set list & notes.

Post edited by Sea on
Tagged:

Comments

• CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,015
    What a blast

bout 12-15 deep on mccreadys side… they are full of juice!

last exit 😎
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    Fun set! Corduroy was my highlight. Really liking how they cut out the sing along. Really great fast start that only let up a couple of times. Loved our short trip to Ohana and am excited even more for some full arena shows!
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    I love the new songs live. 
    Dear Micheal from Alaska,
              Thanks for dancing with me, I hope you enjoyed your first Pj show! 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,159
    Mike McCready unleashed again. Unreal
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Mike McCready unleashed again. Unreal
    You know what time it is!

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Notes:
    - I think tonight stomped on Friday night but that could all be down to having a much better spot tonight. 
    - SBWM is a great opener, and while I love the “ease into it” approach it is nice to see them come in and rock the hell out of the place.
    - so few repeats from Friday. This band takes care of its fans.
    - I like that, along with DOTC obviously, the other “must play” from Gigaton is Seven O’Clock. I was worried that one would meet the same fate as Bu$hleager, but they really believe in it, and that’s way cool. The fact that it kicks ass live also helps I’m sure.
    - Just based on people singing along, I was surprised how many people knew Unthought Known. It’s a great track but I didn’t know it was known so widely.
    - If I had a list of “songs I’d love to hear but don’t think there’s a chance of hearing”, Life Wasted would have been near the top. And they tore it up, too. 
    - wtf was McEnroe doing up there at the end?

… Perfect ending to an epic festival. 

Good night.
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,759
    edited October 2021
    This setlist closed out all the Ohana performances wonderfully.

Hawkins, Cameron and Smith playing drums during RITFW was fun as hell to watch. Loved to see Life Wasted make the rotation. Unthought Known and Smile were great as well. Didn’t mind EV’s strongly vocal commentary about women’s rights tonight - feels like he’s held back a little over recent years and looked amped going into Porch.

Was really hoping the guy trying to play guitar had his chance, just to see how that’d play out.
    Post edited by tschav on
  • 666erm666erm Posts: 243
    Pretty sure Mike McCready was wielding the Infinity Gauntlet during the Even Flow and Black solos. Holy shit. 
    04/11/03 West Palm Beach
    06/11/08 West Palm Beach
    09/03/11 East Troy
    09/04/11 East Troy
    09/02/12 Philadelphia
    09/21/12 Pensacola Beach
    07/19/13 Chicago
    06/16/14 Amsterdam
    06/17/14 Amsterdam
    10/09/14 Lincoln
    10/14/14 Memphis
    11/25/15 Bogota
    04/08/16 Fort Lauderdale
    04/09/16 Miami
    04/11/16 Tampa
    04/13/16 Jacksonville
    04/16/16 Greenville
    05/05/16 Quebec City
    08/05/16 Boston
    08/07/16 Boston
    07/01/18 Prague
    07/03/18 Krakow
    07/10/18 Barcelona
    07/14/18 Lisbon
    08/08/18 Seattle
    08/10/18 Seattle
    09/18/21 Asbury Park
    10/01/21 Dana Point
    10/02/21 Dana Point
    09/16/22 Nashville
    09/20/22 Oklahoma City
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    McEnroe used to be in a cover band that toured.   They did some Nirvana from what I remember 
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587
    McEnroe used to be in a cover band that toured.   They did some Nirvana from what I remember 

Seen here covering Suffragette City. You're welcome.

• URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,610

• BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,840
    Notes:
    - I think tonight stomped on Friday night but that could all be down to having a much better spot tonight. 
    - SBWM is a great opener, and while I love the “ease into it” approach it is nice to see them come in and rock the hell out of the place.
    - so few repeats from Friday. This band takes care of its fans.
    - I like that, along with DOTC obviously, the other “must play” from Gigaton is Seven O’Clock. I was worried that one would meet the same fate as Bu$hleager, but they really believe in it, and that’s way cool. The fact that it kicks ass live also helps I’m sure.
    - Just based on people singing along, I was surprised how many people knew Unthought Known. It’s a great track but I didn’t know it was known so widely.
    - If I had a list of “songs I’d love to hear but don’t think there’s a chance of hearing”, Life Wasted would have been near the top. And they tore it up, too. 
    - wtf was McEnroe doing up there at the end?

… Perfect ending to an epic festival. 

Good night.
    I thought McEnroe was a big PJ fan!? 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14

• BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 556
    edited October 2021
    Great opening and great finish to set. Cardboard cut out during Alive was very funny. He kinda gave it a look like it was too short. Enjoyed Friday more, but I think it was mostly because of the insane amount of people around me taking videos of every song. Ridiculous. 
    Post edited by BloodMeridian80 on
  • Having been to all 4 shows, they definitely stepped up their game for the encore weekend. I think it helps to have PJ headline both nights, so there aren't too many people who are looking for a generic festival show. Though I did meet a surprising number of people who hadn't seen them before, they knew what they were getting into.

I think this fed into them starting with Superblood Wolfmoon, All Night, Last Exit and Lukin, before getting into more familiar mainstream territory with Corduroy.

This weekend (and tonight in particular) had something for everyone. A good mix of songs from new album and older songs. Hits and rarities (Sweet Lew! All Night!). Got some of my favorites - Wishlist, Last Exit, Life Wasted, Lukin, Seven O'clock.

Also a good showcase of every band member's work. I was really happy to see 3 songs in a row with Stone solos (all quintessentially minimalist) - Quick Escape, Wishlist, Given To Fly. He played a much more intense solo on Not For You too - not sure if he usually plays a solo on that live? Daughter with the electric guitar was a nice change as well. I thought it had been getting stale of late. Smile was a lovely addition to the setlist too. (Yes I have a severe man-crush on Stone.)

I even found myself getting into parts of the show that lack novelty, like Alive and RITFW. RITFW with 3 kick-ass drummers going full pelt was a treat (as was the NHC show earlier).

Alive seemed more relevant due to what Ed said on Friday about the words having a different meaning for him (which may be related to his injury?). Speaking of which, amazing that nobody could have figured he was injured unless he told us. The guy stays in great shape, and he was moving without any visible discomfort. Though after he mentioned his injury, I was getting anxious every time he stepped over the monitors (i think that's what they were). They had a slope on Ed's blind side and there were a few moments where i was hoping he'd take it easy for the night.

Lastly it was lovely to meet and make friends with fellow travelers from all over (including a sizeable contingent from Mexico and South America). Hope everyone has a safe trip back. See you around the bend!
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,759

• I missed set list watching so much. Can’t wait to see this band again. Can someone elaborate more on Ed’s injury? Did he go into more detail about what exactly happened and how it might have prevented him from being able to play?
  • I missed set list watching so much. Can’t wait to see this band again. Can someone elaborate more on Ed’s injury? Did he go into more detail about what exactly happened and how it might have prevented him from being able to play?
    Sounded like he pulled his groin. After debating if he had injured a muscle or organ he joked that it was a muscle near a large organ lol He mentioned he got shots to help manage the pain each day.
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    I missed set list watching so much. Can’t wait to see this band again. Can someone elaborate more on Ed’s injury? Did he go into more detail about what exactly happened and how it might have prevented him from being able to play?

It was very unclear. Sort of hinted at groin pull, but my husband said it sounded like he pulled an intercostal muscle. Hope Ed has a quick recovery, he'll probably be in some pain as those shots wear off.

As I noted in the setlist thread, awesome set, they did a lot with the shortened time frame. Just an energized, well-paced, energizing show.

"Not For You" for the people watching for free on the beach... 
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    I really noticed keyboard during porch last night. I'm assuming that was Josh. It added a lot of depth and sounded great. 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • SpartanacusSpartanacus San Diego Posts: 794
    Wow, what a night, and what a magical 3 show run!  I knew it would happen at some point...my eyes started 'watering' when All Night kicked into gear...not during Release like I was hoping for, but a great treat nonetheless!

While after 16 shows I may have finally hit my 'white whale wall' as this was the least amount of new songs/covers/tags I've ever seen at 3 (Take The Long Way, Again Today, Waiting on a Friend tag), it was a solid setlist, and the atmosphere was amazing, especially from the top row of the bleachers.  One of my favorite moments was when they played Wishlist and I filmed the crowed on the beach behind me, including what looked like a very fun little dance circle (note to those who miss out on tickets in the future that this is a viable option after a nice day of surfing, etc.). 

It was great to see Once for the second time, and to get a little taste of the Avocado.  And of course another highlight was seeing my favorite track from Gigaton for the 2nd time, but this time Quick Escape sounded slower...my buddy mentioned the same thing to me, so I know I wasn't imagining it.  Very cool version of it.

Alive, Even Flow, Dance of the Clairvoyants, and Seven O' Clock were the only four songs played each of the three nights in Ohana.  I was hoping to hear Deep and complete Ten, and also Comes Then Goes, but I'm already looking forward to San Diego, and two nights in LA (hopefully dates will be announced soon!).

I introduced 3 of my buddies to PJ for the first time, one joining me at all 3 shows and he is definitely hooked.  Next up...hook my kids.  :)

• MEK42MEK42 Posts: 116
    What an AMAZING show. My third ever. My last two were the home shows in 2018. I don't think anything will ever top night 2 of that, but the energy in the show last night was unreal. My neck hurts from rocking out, which is a good sign. My highlights:

• SBWM is fantastic live and a great opener
    • Last Exit and Not For You were AWESOME, Vitalogy is my favorite album so was stoked on those
    • Lukin ripped
    • Dance of the Clairvoyants was transcendent and so good live
    • Wishlist was unexpected and really nice
    • Even Flow went harder than it did in Seattle, MMC went OFF
    • Unthought Known is one of my favorite PJ songs and I got it in Seattle but was happy to get it again here
    • Once is tied for my favorite song on Ten, so stoked to get this as I didn't get it in Seattle
    • Again Today is one of my favorite covers they do so hearing with Brandi was a treat
    • Wasted Reprise and Life Wasted was such a nice surprise to start the encore. We got the reprise in Seattle, but not the full song, so it was just a tease.
    • I don't love RITFW as their closer but man was the superjam awe inspiring. Seeing the drummers from SG/PJ, RHCP and FF on one kit was a once in a lifetime experience
    Hope everyone had as much fun as I had. My next tickets are for Poland next summer... BRING IT!
  • During Sleater-Kinney's set, Eddie was watching from the side of the stage dancing, singing along, and even filming some of it on his phone (as was Jill). During Modern Girl I saw him singing along to the "My whole life..." part. Then a few hours later, we get the Modern Girl tag with Not For You, which I thought was really wonderful to hear. Think it was played specifically because they had performed earlier?
    csilver22 said:
    During Sleater-Kinney's set, Eddie was watching from the side of the stage dancing, singing along, and even filming some of it on his phone (as was Jill). During Modern Girl I saw him singing along to the "My whole life..." part. Then a few hours later, we get the Modern Girl tag with Not For You, which I thought was really wonderful to hear. Think it was played specifically because they had performed earlier?
    Certainly could of been part of last night’s tag choice, but MG has been a fairly common tag on Not for You for long time.
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,394
    Eddie playing with Mike's knob was hot!

tish said:

😆 United as one!
  • steven87steven87 Posts: 1,105
    Awesome show! I was the row behind the rail, right across from Ed. The band was dialed in and everything sounded great. Highlights for me were all night, last exit, not for you, smile, and life wasted. Can’t wait to see what they have in store for the rescheduled arena dates (hopefully) next spring. 
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,606
    edited October 2021
    tish said:

Any stage scores? Looks like prime rail estate.