The Food Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    edited September 2021
    Cowboy steak (split 2.5 ways) and a 2011 Chianti Classico. There were grilled veggies too

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Steak looks amazing.  What is your temp?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    I did it 125 in the middle. End was pretty cooked but the wife likes a little closer to medium. I’d go pretty rare if it was a solo steak 
  • Looks good @Cliffy6745
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I did it 125 in the middle. End was pretty cooked but the wife likes a little closer to medium. I’d go pretty rare if it was a solo steak 
    Nice.
    Sharing a steak is tough for me, since i like raw and wife likes med-rare.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    edited September 2021
    Nice.
    Sharing a steak is tough for me, since i like raw and wife likes med-rare.
    Grilling a steak for my wife is a harrowing experience. She complains if there is any pink in there. She has literally freaked out a few times. Then she complains when it's overly well done as well. Despite her pink freak outs, she claims she enjoys them medium well. 

I give up. 

chinese-happy.jpg
    Yeah my wife is pretty good about it, but it took some training! Her mom and family are very no pink kind of people, which fuck that, but my wife is medium rare at this point 
    My wife is also a trooper, she routinely says "I could have had a little more time with mine" but still is able to enjoy.

Her family?  Fuck them -- they overcook everything.
    Cannot recall the last time steak was on the menu for them.
    Pork is the worst food on the planet when they cook it. 
    Even something as simple as chicken legs, they always overcook.  Using the color of the meat is just the worst way to cook, and this is all they understand.
    My mother in law actually asks for some food to be burnt when I am grilling.  At first I fought it but now I carbonize the fuck out of her food.  Who cares -- she eats, she shits, it is all the same.  Clearly she has no functioning taste buds.

When I cook for my family on visits up to VT, steak is almost always a meal.  Everyone asks for it a different way -- although medium-well I think is the most cooked it gets.  They also roll with an "under" products as I just dont have enough experience cooking steaks beyond medium-rare to nail it most times.  At least they eat it and don't complain.

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,597
    Can I come over?
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    My wife is also a trooper, she routinely says "I could have had a little more time with mine" but still is able to enjoy.

Even something as simple as chicken legs, they always overcook.  Using the color of the meat is just the worst way to cook, and this is all they understand.
    My mother in law actually asks for some food to be burnt when I am grilling.  At first I fought it but now I carbonize the fuck out of her food.  Who cares -- she eats, she shits, it is all the same.  Clearly she has no functioning taste buds.

When I cook for my family on visits up to VT, steak is almost always a meal.  Everyone asks for it a different way -- although medium-well I think is the most cooked it gets.  They also roll with an "under" products as I just dont have enough experience cooking steaks beyond medium-rare to nail it most times.  At least they eat it and don't complain.

Sounds exactly like my wife's family actually. On labor day, my mother in law asked me to burn her hot dog. lol
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832

Too funny.
    And I totally get you.
    I got married in Italy. Night before the wedding we went to a local Trattoria. I was sitting in the middle of the table with the two families on either side of me. During the pasta course, I heard my uncle say, 'This pasta is cooked perfectly'. (It was.)
    From the other side of the table I heard several voices saying, 'This pasta is raw'.
    my mother in law has asked for every hotdog I have ever cooked her to be burned. It’s outrageous 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Y'all are getting a little too worked up over lips and assholes. :i_dunno:

I SAW PEARL JAM
    Is there perhaps more to the reports of MILs asking for SILs to cook them burnt wieners? 
    A bunch of us seem to have this experience.

eddiec said:

Too funny.
    And I totally get you.
    I got married in Italy. Night before the wedding we went to a local Trattoria. I was sitting in the middle of the table with the two families on either side of me. During the pasta course, I heard my uncle say, 'This pasta is cooked perfectly'. (It was.)
    From the other side of the table I heard several voices saying, 'This pasta is raw'.

I went to dinner with my Brother In Law years ago...at that point he had just moved to California, so we were seeing him more regularly than every other Christmas/Thanksgiving.  In general I enjoyed his company - his wife and I get along well and he is OK if I can keep him on sports or something non-god or money related.

We take them next door to where we lived, to a super little Italian joint where everyone working there is from Italy.  We ate there frequently and made buddies with many of them.
    BIL orders gnocchi and I look at my wife with a level of concern.
    Fuck it, I order another drink and relax.
    Sure enough, he takes two bites of his food when it comes out and calls the waiter over.
    They re-fire and he doesn't like the 2nd plate.
    I tasted both and they were perfection.  My BIL's palate is trash.

Think he ended up getting a steak or something but I know I ordered many more drinks - think I got into Negronis and I am not a gin guy - and left an obscenely huge tip and stuck my head behind the curtain to apologize as we left. 

Told my wife after that I was never (ever) bringing any of her family to any of my "spots" again, so long as I lived.
    That was in 2007-ish and I've held true to that, ever since.
    Was tough after we moved back east and are 45 mins from many of her family members.
    If they want to go out I let them pick the place - and make sure to steer away from any place the wife and I frequent.

Bad dining guests are the worst.
    Absolute worst.

• Baked Chilean corn pie the crust and filling is with ground up corn, ground chop meat , chicken boiled eggs, olives, raisins and herbs to taste! Best made with fresh corn ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    I'd like to tuck into some of that!
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,693
    Baked Chilean corn pie the crust and filling is with ground up corn, ground chop meat , chicken boiled eggs, olives, raisins and herbs to taste! Best made with fresh corn ..
    That looks like some good comfort food - kind of like a variation of shepard's pie.

• I'd like to tuck into some of that!
    I will tonight with a bottle of Red 
    Baked Chilean corn pie the crust and filling is with ground up corn, ground chop meat , chicken boiled eggs, olives, raisins and herbs to taste! Best made with fresh corn ..
    Very creative. Never heard of that.
  • Loujoe said:
    Very creative. Never heard of that.
    It’s a Chilean dish.
    Crabs and spaghetti

• Crabs and spaghetti

Well fucking done. Looks amazing.
    Crabs and spaghetti

Yes,please on those crabs. 
    ✔️
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Crabs and spaghetti

Looks amazing. Crab sauce is definitely one of the best pasta dishes out there.
    edited October 2021
    Food action today....took my overnight brining whole chicken out, pat it dry, and put it in the fridge to air dry for 2 days.
    Moved on to baking an apple pie.
    Baking is not my thing but gave a gluten free apple pie a whirl so Mrs FMe can also enjoy.

Looks great. I have to make an apple pie.
    Food action today....took my overnight brining whole chicken out, pat it dry, and put it in the fridge to air dry for 2 days.
    Baking is not my thing but gave a gluten free apple pie a whirl so Mrs FMe can also enjoy.

Looks great. Heat that up and melt some ice cream over it. When I first read your post and you started talking about chicken, I thought the photo was a chicken pot pie. 
    GlowGirl said:

Looks great. Heat that up and melt some ice cream over it. When I first read your post and you started talking about chicken, I thought the photo was a chicken pot pie. 
    That is what I think we will do.
    Chicken won't be ready until Monday to roast....
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    Made these apple cider doughnuts with cinnamon sugar coating and a salted caramel drizzle.