albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I find this thread shocking. 
    Of all the  threads.  This one?
    yes. I thought people would be falling over themselves to see PJ, or live music again in general. Especially given who is posting. I understand your personal situation, but some of the others I'm quite surprised about. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 806
    edited September 2021
    I am super pumped to see the band live again.  I'm not so jaded and entitled to know that seeing a band play a new album worth of songs and a different setlist every night at a high level is a unique and incredible experience.  Some of you probably need to move on and watch your YouTube videos in the comfy confines of your leather recliner.  This is not for you (anymore).
    Post edited by vedpunk on
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    yes. I thought people would be falling over themselves to see PJ, or live music again in general. Especially given who is posting. I understand your personal situation, but some of the others I'm quite surprised about. 
    I find the social media groups way more excited for these shows than this forum is. 
  • "This negativity just makes me stronger, we will not retreat, this band is unstoppable!" ~ Cliff Poncier

-sorry, just had to throw this out there for a little levity. 
    vedpunk said:
    I am super pumped to see the band live again.  I'm not so jaded and entitled to know that seeing a band play a new album worth of songs and a different setlist every night at a high level is a unique and incredible experience.  Some of you probably need to move on and watch your YouTube videos in the comfy confines of your leather recliner.  This is not for you (anymore).
    People and situations change and evolve. doesn't mean they are "jaded and entitled". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Anticipation Popcorn GIF
    www.cluthelee.com
    edited September 2021
    vedpunk said:
    People and situations change and evolve. doesn't mean they are "jaded and entitled". 
    Wrong, people complaining about having to hear the same 10-15 songs out of a 30 song setlist from night to night are entitled and people complaining about having to park and walk to the venue and pay (less than all other major acts) are jaded. 

I'm actually excited to know we will be losing the unenthusiastic, jaded people that make concerts dull and the remaining audience will make for a better show. 
    vedpunk said:
    vedpunk said:
    Wrong, people complaining about having to hear the same 10-15 songs out of a 30 song setlist from night to night are entitled and people complaining about having to park and walk to the venue and pay (less than all other major acts) are jaded.  Let's be realistic here. 
    sure. your opinion is correct and mine is incorrect. go with that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited September 2021
    vedpunk said:
    vedpunk said:
    Wrong, people complaining about having to hear the same 10-15 songs out of a 30 song setlist from night to night are entitled and people complaining about having to park and walk to the venue and pay (less than all other major acts) are jaded.  Let's be realistic here. 
    sure. your opinion is correct and mine is incorrect. go with that. 
    Agreed, Who Ever Said has your name written all over it. 
  • PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Is it only Pearl Jam or all artists?
    For me it’s sadly only Pearl Jam related

Foo Fighters at MSG was one of the most memorable shows I’ve been to recently, and I’m literally counting the days until my TwentyOne Pilots shows hit

SHN and Encore?  Yeah they’ll be cool but I’m just no where near as stoked as I’ve been in the past and I’m not sure why
    I think it has a lot to do with the amount of shows we've seen over the years.  PJ switches up the set list but not as much as a band like Phish or DMB. The tags have been the same for years now, the second set is pretty much stagnant, the jams again are pretty much the same now for years and many songs do get carried over from night to night.  

Agreed. 
    I've noticed this too but I'm way too excited to hear Gigaton debuts to care about that right now

I will admit that Fenway 2018 did not have the same feeling as all my other previous shows (crowd cared more about merch, WAY too much talking from EV, weird ass covers lol, decent sets...)

Fenway '18 were fun nights, but definitely not what they were bringing to the table in 2014 or 2016.

I'm not done seeing PJ, but I might be done traveling for them. 
    There were plenty of shows in 2018 that are comparable to 2014 and 2016 runs but their number of songs played per show average had to of been way down compared to previous tours. Fenway 18 were surprisingly shorter sets for ballpark shows from the band and I am hoping that trend does not continue in the future especially if they are playing 8 Gigaton songs a night next spring. I mean we are only talking about 5 extra songs here but sometimes that makes the difference in sets with variety and gems played. 

Just curious if you would be saying the same thing if you saw Seattle 2 18 do you think? 
    That's a good question, I can really only speak for the shows I was at. 

5 of the 6 shows I saw in advance of Fenway '18 were some epic performances, so that doesn't help.

OTOH I recall they sent out a message on social media the day of Fenway 1 to be in your seats by what... 7 or 7:30 and they still didn't take the stage until after 8 i think? Talk about blue balls. 

Expectations were set pretty high for those nights. IIRC Mike was sick night 2, you can't plan for that, but those nights weren't what I was hoping for or expecting. 
  • dcp3ydcp3y Louisville KY Posts: 776
    OP,

The last 18 months have been hard for everyone…the band included.  They had everything lined up for a great tour launch for Gigaton before the bottom fell out.  COViD sucks!  Everyone is free to find their own happiness path and mine is Ohana Encore as I am starved for some PJ shows and back to back shows was too good for me to pass up.  I am excited to see them and will be trying to follow along remotely either streaming or shared set list posts for SHN and Ohana 1.  If PJ no longer excites you, then feel free go on a break whether temporary or permanent…plenty of other bands out there that would love PJ passionate-type fans.  Regardless of your path, I hope you keep on rocking in the free world!  
  • PJNB said:
    I find the social media groups way more excited for these shows than this forum is. 
    Truth. This place is depressing (probably why so few people come on here between tours). The fan groups are way more interesting, lively and excited. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Like said above, it has been a long few years.   For many reasons people may not be as excited to see PJ as they have in the past.  It could be many factors.  

If you still have the passion for every show  after all these years then great.  I am pumped for Ohana but not as pumped about SHN.  That tells me that I am probably more excited about seeing the band with friends in a great location versus seeing the band by myself at SHN where I am flying in that afternoon and leaving the next morning.  
  • Cropduster2020Cropduster2020 SF Bay Area Posts: 18
    I first saw the band in '92 and couldn't be more excited for the three Ohana shows I'm going to see. Can't wait to hear the new Gigaton songs and absolutely anything they choose to play. Frankly, if they open with Long Road or Release on the 26th, with everything the world has been through over the last 18 months, I'll probably sob uncontrollable tears. 

Everything costs more these days. A $130 ticket isn't more profitable to the band. Every single aspect of putting on a show costs more. From the trucks hauling gear to the food that feeds the crew to the ticket takers at the front door and on and on, everything is more expensive.

Finally, life is short and if we've learned anything over the last 18 months it is to focus on the people and things that are important to you. If PJ has changed for you for whatever reason, that's ok. Much better to focus time on the people, music, activities etc that bring you joy. 
    Mountain View, California (July 19, 1992), Mountain View, California (November 01, 1992), Mountain View, California (October 02, 1994), San Francisco, California (June 24, 1995), San Jose, California (November 04, 1995), Mountain View, California (October 20, 1996), Santa Cruz, California (November 12, 1997), Oakland, California (November 14, 1997), Oakland, California (November 15, 1997), Oakland, California (November 18, 1997), Sacramento, California (July 16, 1998), Portland, Oregon (July 18, 1998), Mountain View, California (October 31, 1999), Mountain View, California (October 31, 2000), Mountain View, California (October 21, 2001), Mountain View, California (October 26, 2003), San Francisco, California (August 28, 2009), Seattle 1 (August 08, 2018), Seattle 2 (August 10, 2018), Ohana 1 (September 26, 2021), Ohana 2 (October 1, 2021), Ohana 3 (October 2, 2021) The Apollo (September 10, 2022), MSG (September 11, 2022). 
  • Each to their own . Thread over
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Each to their own . Thread over
    Bingo.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Nothing more to say
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Nothing more to say
    I'll bet you a glass of iced red wine that you will post again in this thread.  ;)
  • If the band continues to bring it live each and every night, I'm as excited as ever to see them on the spring arena tour when it happens whether there is hype or promotion or not. Interested to see how these fall shows go and what they do. Seems like if Ed is pumped up and full of energy, so will everyone else. 
    Does not have to be thread over. I think its great having these discussions no matter what side of the excitement level you are on.  
  • mcgruff10 said:
    Nothing more to say
    I'll bet you a glass of iced red wine that you will post again in this thread.  ;)
    Iced red wine? Come on bro
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    mcgruff10 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Is it only Pearl Jam or all artists?
    For me it’s sadly only Pearl Jam related

Foo Fighters at MSG was one of the most memorable shows I’ve been to recently, and I’m literally counting the days until my TwentyOne Pilots shows hit

SHN and Encore?  Yeah they’ll be cool but I’m just no where near as stoked as I’ve been in the past and I’m not sure why
    I think it has a lot to do with the amount of shows we've seen over the years.  PJ switches up the set list but not as much as a band like Phish or DMB. The tags have been the same for years now, the second set is pretty much stagnant, the jams again are pretty much the same now for years and many songs do get carried over from night to night.  

True.  I mean even for the new arena shows, itll
    be 32-34 songs on a good night

Do I really want to continue to travel and spend that kind of $$ for 8 gigaton songs, the 10 every nighters, and up to 6-8 cover songs and MAYBE 1-2 deep cuts?

They are still one of the greatest bands at switching up the set there’s no doubt about that.  But from a hardcore fan perspective, the mentality of NEEDING to catch every show so you don’t miss that ONE rare moment has quickly faded

Play the Gorge, play Red Rocks or some other venue that fans have been wanting for years.  PLEASE do something other than arenas and the same 3 baseball stadiums to get us excited again. 
    They’ll never do red rocks again. If they did, there’d be 10 times as many upset fans who couldn’t get tickets as there are people at the show.
    mcgruff10 said:
    Nothing more to say
    That's how Rob drinks it.  It's a very popular drink in England.  
  • mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Nothing more to say
    That's how Rob drinks it.  It's a very popular drink in England.  
    My apologies to Rob then. I'd get slapped in my house for that. May have to give it a whirl haha
    PJNB said:
    Does not have to be thread over. I think its great having these discussions no matter what side of the excitement level you are on.  
    Totally agree, I love these discussions.  I"m pumped that you are excited for Ohana.  I'm just a cranky old guy with five kids with too much responsibility. lol
  • I am excited to go the Encore weekend. I have travelled a little over the past 18 months and haven't felt overwhelmed by people. It might help that I work at an essential job around a lot of people, so I haven't been as isolated as many have been. 
    edited September 2021
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    Totally agree, I love these discussions.  I"m pumped that you are excited for Ohana.  I'm just a cranky old guy with five kids with too much responsibility. lol
    For sure man. I actually feel a bad for those that are not pumped for the shows. Some seem ok with it but man would I be depressed if that is how I felt. Hopefully once those first notes hit you and you guys that are not so excited for the shows get those PJ chills again and enjoy the set. Its going to be a fast one and I know they are going to bring it! 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited September 2021
    vedpunk said:
    vedpunk said:
    Wrong, people complaining about having to hear the same 10-15 songs out of a 30 song setlist from night to night are entitled and people complaining about having to park and walk to the venue and pay (less than all other major acts) are jaded. 

I'm actually excited to know we will be losing the unenthusiastic, jaded people that make concerts dull and the remaining audience will make for a better show. 
    Deciding what other people are and are not, sounds awfully entitled. 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"