NEVER AGAIN?

WindowPaineWindowPaine Chicopee, MA Posts: 492
I've loved pj since 91 when i first heard ten. I've seen them countless times. but after 2018 i've just discovered i think i'm done. i have no desire to go see pj live any time soon. i think a combination of the entitled fans and the constant political talk as well as $130+ a ticket has gotten to me. maybe i'll revisit the idea when a full tour is announced, maybe not.

that is all. 
First Show: Springfield, MA 4/6/94

Comments

• Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
    The fan base could definitely use an infusion of excitement from the band that's not a variant of a previously released merchandise item. I think that many people are starting to feel more and more the way you do and I get it.

I am expecting to hear something regarding the rescheduled shows in the next 2-3 weeks and hopefully that brings the spark back
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    op I can tell you that like yourself I've been a long time fan and get what you are saying.  I have never been less excited for a show that I am now for SHN.  Not sure why but I"m almost questioning why I am going.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • WindowPaineWindowPaine Chicopee, MA Posts: 492
    hopefully. the clamor for merch is insane haha. at the seattle 2018 shows the line for merch was wrapped around almost the entire stadium...DURING the show! the music has taken a backseat apparently. 
  • Im done too. Ive been building  to it for a while. Mainly health reasons  and  now pandemic has  nailed the coffin
     Oh well im ok with it i think. 
    Live streams would be awesome
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    Tickets are not $130+
    I miss igotid88
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    igotid88 said:
    Tickets are not $130+
    $120+ and that was for shows that went onsale before the pandemic. The next time they tour who knows?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    yea exactly. sorry i wasn't correct down to the exact change. 
  • drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,050
    mcgruff10 said:
    op I can tell you that like yourself I've been a long time fan and get what you are saying.  I have never been less excited for a show that I am now for SHN.  Not sure why but I"m almost questioning why I am going.  
    I understand what everyone is saying about political talk, ticket prices, (reused) merch overload etc. However, truth be told, myself and lots of other fans I know here in U.K./Europe would bite your hand off to attend a PJ show this year. 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    Out of context, what concerts would go you go see?

I found PJ tickets were still on the cheaper end compared to their peers (Veteran rock acts who can sell out Arena/Stadiums).   The whole industry (prior to Covid) was experience skyrocketing ticket costs.   PJ's prices went up, but not near as much as some other bands.  What I paid to see GNR and the Stones was ludicrous :)

• OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,171
    mcgruff10 said:
    Not sure why but I"m almost questioning why I am going.  
    I have felt like this a lot. I tend to buy tickets out of instinct. Often I am not as hyped as I feel like I should be. However every post show I’m like FCKKK THAT WAS SO GOOD WHEN CAN I SEE THEM AGAIN. 
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
    I will absolutely continue to go to shows when I can and when they’re close by

But the need to go to as many as possible and get every shirt and poster has been lost over the last couple of years 

There’s too many other bands doing fun and exciting things, playing regular shows in new venues of varying sizes.  I’ve started to clean out some of my merchandise and collectibles as it just doesn’t mean as much to me lately.  

It’s been kind of sad to see how little they’re promoting and getting fans excited for them to play shows again.

Im more excited for my upcoming TwentyOnePilots shows than I am for SHN to be completely honest 
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,684
    mcgruff10 said:
    Sometimes thats the best way to see a show. 
    Kearnsy
  • mcgruff10 said:
    I felt that way in 2018. Like "Maybe I should skip this, is this just FOMO causing me to go?". But I think in hindsight it was more me, and having to travel alone for shows for the first time. Well at the shows I had a blast.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • pthomnpthomn Posts: 114
    getting old sucks
  • hopefully. the clamor for merch is insane haha. at the seattle 2018 shows the line for merch was wrapped around almost the entire stadium...DURING the show! the music has taken a backseat apparently. 
    Okay, but how did that ruin your experience? If you wanted the music, that’s what you got. Other people in a line shouldn’t affect you enjoying your time with the music. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • mcgruff10 said:
    Imagine the first song is Corduroy.  After three chords these questions will be gone.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • hopefully. the clamor for merch is insane haha. at the seattle 2018 shows the line for merch was wrapped around almost the entire stadium...DURING the show! the music has taken a backseat apparently. 
    Okay, but how did that ruin your experience? If you wanted the music, that’s what you got. Other people in a line shouldn’t affect you enjoying your time with the music. 
    The merch-thing disgusts me in some ways, but them standing out in long lines should result in fewer heads in front at the show and shorter lines to beer and the bathroom.

WIN!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Can't speak for anyone else but I'm dreading being back in big crowds. 

• CW55354CW55354 Posts: 200
    My advice would be to not let any of that extra-curricular crap sway your decision. Aside from their political talk, during the shows, the merch situation and entitled fans shouldn’t have any affect on your good time once they take the stage. They are still a great live band. That hasn’t changed. Since I tend to agree with their political rants, I don’t mind them. I would add that I don’t think they spend any more time on it than at any other point in their career. Their personal philosophy fuels their work, so enjoy the result! Don’t buy the merch, don’t listen to the whiny fans who hate on certain songs, ignore the few times Eddie speaks his mind and enjoy the show!

But the fewer people there are clamoring for tickets and lining up for pit access, works in my favor, so maybe I should just shut up…
  • JimmyV said:
    I wonder if the band has similar reservations, hence the lack of excitement / hype surrounding these pending shows. 
    JimmyV said:
    I wonder if the band has similar reservations, hence the lack of excitement / hype surrounding these pending shows. 
    I wouldn't be surprised. There still seems to be no rhyme nor reason to which show goes forward vs which festival gets cancelled. It's hard to know what the right approach is. I don't have Pearl Jam tickets but we are going to Farm Aid down in Hartford in two weeks. Neil Young pulled out and it really has been a struggle to get excited. 

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    I'm in this camp as well.  I bought a ticket for Ohana Encore, booked hotel, flight, etc. and ultimately decided I'm not going.  The excitement wasn't there to justify all that's involved for me to get to that show, when in the past I wouldn't have thought twice.  I'm still holding tickets for two shows from the 2020 tour and I intend on going to both.  Hopefully that lights a spark again.
  • mcgruff10 said:
    I am where you are at.  Going to SHN mainly because it is the first show back.  I really don’t have much interest in hearing Gigaton.  I know it is a good album but just not excited about it.  Hoping when the show starts it will be worth it. I think so.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

+

=

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    I had a similar feeling after Wrigley 2018. Cost of tickets, travel, etc. it was just expensive, I figured if they stick to stadium shows I wouldn’t be going. I have 2 small kids and would rather spend a vacation fund with them. But I got really excited with the tour announcement and have been looking forward to it.
    Saw Brandi Carlile at Red Rocks 2 nights ago. Was my first show since Willie Nelson in November 2019. Was really good to be out and hear music, I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. 
    I realized given enough time without a PJ show, I’ll go to whatever they offer.
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,733
    JimmyV said:
    +1
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Best wishes sorting that out, OP. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    Zod said:
    Out of context, what concerts would go you go see?

I found PJ tickets were still on the cheaper end compared to their peers (Veteran rock acts who can sell out Arena/Stadiums).   The whole industry (prior to Covid) was experience skyrocketing ticket costs.   PJ's prices went up, but not near as much as some other bands.  What I paid to see GNR and the Stones was ludicrous :)

PJ are the only band i'd go see in an arena/stadium. I don't know why i give them a pass but i wouldn't see anyone else somewhere that holds more than maybe 2000-3000 people. i want to SEE the band, not a sea of people. 
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Im definitely done with big crowds (concerts/sports) for a while.  Delta is terrible.  

Things change.  Times change.  I used to not sleep for days before seeing Pj.   Maybe it’ll be like that again in 22 or 23.   
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    pthomn said:
    getting old sucks
    Yeah I definitely think that is a big part of it.  Also the combination of a big crowd, the pain in the ass parking, the long lines for everything and being in a GA crowd for the first time all adds to it.   I said to my wife last night, "how sad is it that I'm actually looking forward to shn being over."  She agreed with me.  

Hopefully I'll be more fired up with for the Spring arena tour.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......