NCAA College Football -

Comments

• lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,927
    Anybody else hope Notre Dame remains independent? 
    I hope they do, but I think if the Texas/OU move happens, it will muddy thr waters.

If these "super-confrences" happen, I think they will almost have to join the ACC or another conference. 
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Why wouldn't they?  With the deal they have it makes sense to be a bs team without a conference.
    ;)

Pac12 is such a joke.  Now we have a new leader but not being able to grab these teams and pony up to try and keep up is a big loss.

Surprised Oklahoma wants to join.  They have it made where they are and are pretty much granted an auto bid to playoffs.  With Texas out they would really be in the best seat
    Greedy!

Just making sure you were still here! 🤣
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Why wouldn't they?  With the deal they have it makes sense to be a bs team without a conference.
    ;)

Pac12 is such a joke.  Now we have a new leader but not being able to grab these teams and pony up to try and keep up is a big loss.

Surprised Oklahoma wants to join.  They have it made where they are and are pretty much granted an auto bid to playoffs.  With Texas out they would really be in the best seat
    Greedy!

Just making sure you were still here! 🤣
    Yeah, buddy!
    Even though the Pac12 is a joke and Clay Felchton is a goddamn joke I still can't wait to watch and get mad at the team.  :lol:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    I hope they do, but I think if the Texas/OU move happens, it will muddy thr waters.

If these "super-confrences" happen, I think they will almost have to join the ACC or another conference. 
    It does seem like they will eventually have to join one. Sooner than later I assume. SEC adding OU and Texas is a huge flex. Would not be surprised to see B1G or ACC make a huge push to add ND in the coming years. I'm not opposed to it, but I also don't fault them for staying Independent. As Brett noted, why wouldn't they at this point?
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,873
    edited July 2021

It does seem like they will eventually have to join one. Sooner than later I assume. SEC adding OU and Texas is a huge flex. Would not be surprised to see B1G or ACC make a huge push to add ND in the coming years. I'm not opposed to it, but I also don't fault them for staying Independent. As Brett noted, why wouldn't they at this point?
    If ND football decides to join a conference in the next 15 years it'll be with the ACC. It was written in their contract when all of their other sports joined the ACC a few years ago. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I think we see with Oklahoma and Texas that the contracts don't mean much - they are happy to buy out if the money is right.  (ACC seems like the right spot for ND, though.)
    The lack of a conference championship game is going to eventually hurt them. For a final spot (assuming they stay at 4 teams), are you taking a 10-2 ND team with wins over Toledo, Navy and Cincy (they are good some years) or a 10-3 SEC team that lost in championship game?

The lack of a conference championship game is going to eventually hurt them. For a final spot (assuming they stay at 4 teams), are you taking a 10-2 ND team with wins over Toledo, Navy and Cincy (they are good some years) or a 10-3 SEC team that lost in championship game?

SEC team everytime. 

JojoRice said:

SEC team everytime. 
    Same argument can be made for B1G, ACC or PAC12. ND has a strength of schedule issue in my opinion (which doesn't mean much) if they want to remain independent. 

JojoRice said:

SEC team everytime. 
    Same argument can be made for B1G, ACC or PAC12. ND has a strength of schedule issue in my opinion (which doesn't mean much). They need to beef it up if they want to remain independant.

They are not going to be at four for long, though.
    edited July 2021
    They are not going to be at four for long, though.
    I know, and that definitely changes the game in ND's favor of staying Independent when that change comes.

But based on the current format, no conference affiliation hurts them. Not sure when playoff format would change, 2023?
    Post edited by lmckenney24 on
    Not sure....
    2023 is the strongest rumored date for the expanded playoffs. 

When the 12 team playoff starts, I wouldn't be surprised to see atleast 3 maybe 4 teams from SEC in it on a regular basis. ACC only has Clemson. Big 10 has Ohio State and occasionally Penn State & Wisconsin have good seasons. Pac 12 has Oregon and sometimes USC will have a decent season. It'll be fun to see which other programs can step up. 

edited July 2021
    This will be interesting to see how it impacts the natural cycles of college football power.  There were years where many teams that are great now were normal or just ok teams.
    Up and down is normal....but will it stay that way of they go power conferences?

(Reading the post above highlights this.  Michigan is not mentioned.  This is a college football powerhouse.  Oregon is mentioned and they are barely a blip on the radar, historically.  They were mostly awful.  ACC - FSU and Miami have better histories than Clemson.  SEC has always been great....but the teams that are great change.  (Before Saban, at least!))

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Go Gophers!
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Go Gophers!
    Boo
    Finally on to some college football! Love it!!!
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    coulda swore I posted this…

went to the Ute game last night. lightning caused the stands to be evacuated. a super spreader event ensued. steve smith and alex smith we’re in attendance.

watched THEosu on my phone. a little to close for comfort.

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Steve Smith not working out much.  :lol:
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Steve Smith not working out much.  :lol:
    working his yap, I’m sure.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    True.  Dude does love to talk!
  • Big upset with UNC losing. They don't play the best against unranked teams anyway, but shocked they lost.
    They've talked a big game - especially for a program that sucks.  
    Happy to see them lose.
    Stick to hoops, folks.  :lol:
  • They've talked a big game - especially for a program that sucks.  
    Happy to see them lose.
    Stick to hoops, folks.  :lol:
    Yeah, they do suck. Especially after last night. Go Dawgs!
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Big win for penn state 
    edited September 2021
    Good first week.  (First real week)
    As much as I love to hate on Notre Dame, Brian Kelly trying to quote John McKay is awesome on a few levels.
     https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32157718/notre-dame-fighting-irish-coach-brian-kelly-says-was-joking-attempting-echo-john-mckay-execution-quote

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Good first week.  (First real week)
    As much as I love to hate on Notre Dame, Brian Kelly trying to quote John McKay is awesome on a few levels.
     https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32157718/notre-dame-fighting-irish-coach-brian-kelly-says-was-joking-attempting-echo-john-mckay-execution-quote

He executed the joke so terribly that the announcers had to provide cover.  

He could have said... "There was a great coach named John McKay who was once asked how he felt about his team's execution and he replied 'I'm all for it!'.  Well I understand how he felt.  We need to get better, blah blah blah.  "