*** -- PROCESSING Your Philadelphia 76ers -- ***

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    RiotZact said:
    Lol...report out saying Rich Paul is demanding Maxey be included in any Mr August deal as he wants both of his clients out of Philly. 

Fuck this shit...unless it's for Dame. 
    I don’t know the ins and outs of this sort of thing, but this can’t be okay by the league. He’s literally telling Maxey to cancel charity events he was supposed to do in Philly. What a cancer on the sport. 
    Yeah I saw that...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    I saw it happen with Anthony Davis.   Rich Paul poisoned the market and destroyed any leverage the team had to find their best offer.  

Good for the player i guess but bad for sports. 
    Nerlens Noel is suing Rich Paul so he seems shady.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    “The Process” is officially a failure.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    Lol...not quite, my friend. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Wobbie said:
    yeah, it is. you have one #1 left from your bazillion picks.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    edited September 2021
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:
    And he's a top 5 player in the game, who just put up one of the best season's in franchise history. They were a 1 seed who underachieved (because of Ben) but this was pretty much the only team since Dr J left (almost 40 years ago) who had a legit chance to win it all. The whole point of tanking a few years was to get that kind of player or players that would put them in that position. As currently constructed, they're still a top 2 or 3 seed in the East right now anyway. 

Plus he just signed an extension so....yeah it's far from over. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Was just coming here to post this. 

If anything, at least this team is right up there with both the TO and Buddy Ryan era's as interesting/frustrating/entertaining as fuck all rolled up into one. Never a dull moment. lol
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I like this one even better:

He gets to act like he's defending Ben while scapegoating via the use of Philly fans, but ultimately is saying Ben is a puss who isn't putting the work in to be better. Basically - "They can't boo me because I'm a fucking beast. You, Ben, are no beast."
    Chris Brousard now saying Ben is complaining the Sixers haven't used him properly or developed him properly. 

Are you fucking kidding? I feel as if the Sixers overly coddled his ass. The fucking guy refused to put in the work to develop any semblance of an outside shot. Ugh..

He also mentions CJ McOllum as possible trade. SIGN ME UP. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited September 2021
    Of course they coddled him, they did everything in their power to utilize his skills and let him do what he's best at - no one even booed this fucking man his entire time here until this year. People - the organization, fans, everyone -  were completely patient, even too patient. Until it was all truly on the line and he came up completely lame.

Hell, it wasn't even booing. This dude is just shoved so far up his own ass. It's not like he doesn't shoot in practice, the fucking guy just has the yips. The same yips leads to him being up said ass and completely absorbing social media. Because I don't even recall the boos as much as I remember this:

https://youtu.be/C7_rlnjt5MY?t=201

I think the unfortunate thing is if you really want any significant return for Ben then you have to include Maxey. Sucks, but it is what it is.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
    Great point about the boos. He's the only player I can think of that got fucking cheered for making one out of two foul shots. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:
    And he's a top 5 player in the game, who just put up one of the best season's in franchise history. They were a 1 seed who underachieved (because of Ben) but this was pretty much the only team since Dr J left (almost 40 years ago) who had a legit chance to win it all. The whole point of tanking a few years was to get that kind of player or players that would put them in that position. As currently constructed, they're still a top 2 or 3 seed in the East right now anyway. 

Stop it.  Please stop trying to justify the process...

If they can win a chip I will give them partial credit.
    edited September 2021
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

I don't have to justify it. Nobody guaranteed a championship...the point was just to acquire star players to put them in position to win one. I don't see why that is so hard to understand really. lol

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

I don't have to justify it. Nobody guaranteed a championship...the point was just to acquire star players to put them in position to win one. I don't see why that is so hard to understand really. lol

They tanked at the chance of acquiring a possible talent?

They could have just scouted better?

I know what you mean but everyone else under the sun sees it as a failure because it is.  Hell, with all the draft picks they had I could have got at least 1 right...
    edited September 2021
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

I know what you mean but everyone else under the sun sees it as a failure because it is.  Hell, with all the draft picks they had I could have got at least 1 right...
    Joel Embiid is one of the best players on the planet, dude. 

Whether or not the gms and coaches drafted poorly after Hinkie left in 2015 is another story and it is unfortunate. But the 2 or 3 years they were really bad got them a few lottery tickets and they landed their superstar with one of them. That was literally the point. OKC's doing the same thing right now. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

He changes the argument to suit the current status of the Process. Originally it was to win a championship.  Now that they still have not gone further in the playoffs than they did before the Process started the argument has changed to it was to acquire stars.  After they trade Simmons they will most likely then have 1 star left after what 8 years of the process?  And that 1 star can't stay on the court. But yea Trust the Process. 
  • Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

Whether or not the gms and coaches drafted poorly after Hinkie left in 2015 is another story and it is unfortunate. But the 2 or 3 years they were really bad got them a few lottery tickets and they landed their superstar with one of them. That was literally the point. OKC's doing the same thing right now. 
    I love Embiid and what he has become.  Love it. Top 10 for sure.

You don't think I'll give OKC shit too?

Since the one and done era I see 2 outright stars in the NBA now.  That's Davis and Kyrie.  You can make an argument for Wall and a few others.

That being said I think it is by far too difficult to draft a one and done player and tanking doesn't really do you any favors.  I mean Embiid wasn't a #1 pick and he's better than the 2 who were.

I enjoy the back and forth though.  Keep it comin'.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    The franchise was in a decades-long stint of mediocrity, briefly becoming a good, but not great, team at Iverson's peak. They are much closer now to winning a championship than at any time since the mid-80s. This franchise is not a superstar magnet like the Lakers so The Process was the best way to give them a chance to bring a parade to the city. Having a super-talented and super immature "superstar" that choked in such a massive manner in the playoffs was a rough way to derail last season, but it is what it is.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

I love Embiid and what he has become.  Love it. Top 10 for sure.

You don't think I'll give OKC shit too?

Since the one and done era I see 2 outright stars in the NBA now.  That's Davis and Kyrie.  You can make an argument for Wall and a few others.

That being said I think it is by far too difficult to draft a one and done player and tanking doesn't really do you any favors.  I mean Embiid wasn't a #1 pick and he's better than the 2 who were.

I enjoy the back and forth though.  Keep it comin'.
    You usually need a superstar player or two to have a shot at a championship.
    To get a star you need to either already have one that will attract another one via free agency. The Sixers didn't have that. 
    You need to trade for them---the Sixers didn't have nearly enough to accomplish that.
    Or you are bad enough to have a shot at drafting one at the top of the draft.

The Sixers only option, after approximately 30 years of mostly mediocre basketball, was to tank for a few years. It worked. They got their guy. They thought they got a second guy. Unfortunately Ben Simmons did not pan out the way we all hoped. But that is life. 

Like it or not, what Hinkie did worked. The problems largely occurred after the NBA foisted the Collangelo's upon us. Even so, this past season was the only Sixers team since the 80's to have a legit shot at a title (that Iverson team was fun but had no shot of beating Shaq and Kobe). 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    The franchise was in a decades-long stint of mediocrity, briefly becoming a good, but not great, team at Iverson's peak. They are much closer now to winning a championship than at any time since the mid-80s. This franchise is not a superstar magnet like the Lakers so The Process was the best way to give them a chance to bring a parade to the city. Having a super-talented and super immature "superstar" that choked in such a massive manner in the playoffs was a rough way to derail last season, but it is what it is.
    E
    X
    A
    C
    T
    L
    Y
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I don't know why anybody entertains these terrible "The Process didn't work" takes. What you do is stare, blink three times, ignore, move on. It's so tired at this point.

Circling back to what is relevant - seriously, gonna suck losing Maxey more than Ben at this point because a) ya know Ben is gone at this point, he's a sunk cost; b) Maxey's not even of fucking legal drinking age. God. Damnit.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    Maybe just keep Maxey and see what happens? You look around and see ex-Sixers dominating the NBA Finals like every year. Doesn't solve what to do with BS but IDK...
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    edited September 2021
    The same guy who broke the story about Paul wanting Maxey included in a Ben deal tweeted earlier that Maxey wants to stay in Philly. I think we can Mccollum without having to include Maxey. 

I think Maxey has the potential to make a big leap next year with more playing time. Also think Mccollum would thrive on this team even more than he did in Portland...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    edited September 2021
    As with everything else in the world, it's gray.  Was it the right thing to do? Yeah. Did it work as planned? Absolutely fucking not. Not sure how anyone could argue with that.  To me the plan was correct, the execution didn't pan out, but it isn't completely failed
    As with everything else in the world, it's gray.  Was it the right thing to do? Yeah. Did it work as planned? Absolutely fucking not. Not sure how anyone could argue with that.  To me the plan was correct, the execution didn't pan out, but it isn't completely failed
    Would love to know how differently things would've gone if we didn't have the Collangelo's foisted upon us...
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Ughhhhh and here we go, I can't help myself now.

The plan is all that mattered. If someone wants to argue mismanagement, bad ownership? Absolutely. Different conversation completely.

But this all comes down to how people interpret shit, which is the problem, and what "The Process" is/was. "The Process", to me, is the approach Sam Hinkie put in place for the draft to build a roster around a franchise superstar(s) because they had none and no other plan on the horizon other than switching shitty coaches and GMs every 3-4 years. That Process as I interpret it was a success, absolutely no question.

Bryan Colangelo? Was not part of The Process. Fucking Elton Brand being GM? Not at all. Josh Harris and Ownership overstepping, while every other owner in the league went and leaned on Silver to fuck The Process up? Not part of it either.

At the end of the day you have a better chance of getting those franchise cornerstones at the top of the draft. You buy as many lottery tickets as you can to increase those chances. What's so hard to comprehend with this? And using hindsight to justify any of this will absolutely always be nonsense to me.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    edited September 2021
    I get it. Everyone got it. The Cavs got it with Lebron. Minnesota (edit: Cavs..what do I know, point is plenty of teams have tanked) got it with Wiggins.  Hinke didn't invent tanking, though he may have perfected it.

I don't think you can separate the process from the outcome, as you can't in any other walk of life.  If I fail at my job, I can't tell my boss "well, I approached the project the right way, even if the client despises it".  Sure I did the right thing, but it wasn't a success.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    edited September 2021
    I get it. Everyone got it. The Cavs got it with Lebron. Minnesota got it with Wiggins.  Hinke didn't invent tanking, though he may have perfected it.

I don't think you can separate the process from the outcome, as you can't in any other walk of life.  If I fail at my job, I can't tell my boss "well, I approached the project the right way, even if the client despises it".  Sure I did the right thing, but it wasn't a success.
    The outcome was to put you in a position to win a championship.  Like you said, everything in life is gray as is this--especially since the guy who put the wheels in motion was let go 6 fucking year ago lol.

But they are in a position to win a championship now (or at least were this past season) while they were not prior to Hinkie (really haven't been since we were all in short pants). That's really the point of the whole thing.
    chinese-happy.jpg