Any of you attend Woodstock '99??

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Yep.  I think Limp Bizkit had 4 or 5 really good songs.   They knew how to control a crowd.   

Still do because they killed it at Lollapalooza last night.  

I was shocked at
    A: how good they sounded on the webcast. 
    B:  how 100k people who were probably all born after 1999 thoroughly enjoyed them yesterday.  
    why did fred durst look like one of the guys in the Beastie Boys Sabotage video?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    edited August 2021
    Yep.  I think Limp Bizkit had 4 or 5 really good songs.   They knew how to control a crowd.   

I was shocked at
    B:  how 100k people who were probably all born after 1999 thoroughly enjoyed them yesterday.  
    why did fred durst look like one of the guys in the Beastie Boys Sabotage video?
    My guess is one of his movie roles?  He seemed to enjoy it lol
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    edited August 2021
    Mikemzl91 said:
    ikiT said:
    Megadeth to close?  At the AF base?  Dave Mustaine?  Damn.  I didn't even know.

Everything was Fred's fault.  And Tabitha Soren, too.

Seems like an awful lotta evenbros. 
    Yeah I was surprised to hear this too, I always thought RHCP closed this thing on the main stage, but Megadeath finished 10 minutes after RHCP. 
    I love that the term ‘evenbros’ has stuck around. Made up by myself, @mfc2006 & our respective wives in the parking lot at PJ20. I think we even had a made up tune to go with it. Evenbros, so damn drunk why nobody knows. Haha!! 
    Post edited by 2-feign-reluctance on
    www.cluthelee.com
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,742

I was shocked at
    My guess is one of his movie roles?  He seemed to enjoy it lol
    Dressed like a millenial/Gen x Dad to promote their single, "dad vibes".
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Watched the doc last night.  I though it was pretty good but could have done without the all the super liberal blowhard writers who weren't constantly talking about all white males being evil, rapey bros. Obviously some horrific things happened, but I would have been more interested in hearing from more people who were actually there.

And how big of a douchebag is that promoter John Scher that pretty much blamed Fred Durst for everything???  You had a band with a huge hit at the time called "Break Stuff".  What the hell did they think was going to happen?  And he was blaming the women who were topless for being assaulted?!?  What an asshole.  Perhaps the fact that they had nowhere near enough security and staff to handle that big of a crowd caused most of the issues.

Korn playing Blind is still one of the craziest things I've ever seen in my life.  The crowd when that song kicks in is absolute insanity...couldn't imagine being in a crowd like that.  Good thing I was still in high school in 99 because if I was a few years older at the time I definitely would have tried to go...
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    Watched the doc last night.  I though it was pretty good but could have done without the all the super liberal blowhard writers who weren't constantly talking about all white males being evil, rapey bros. Obviously some horrific things happened, but I would have been more interested in hearing from more people who were actually there.

And how big of a douchebag is that promoter John Scher that pretty much blamed Fred Durst for everything???  You had a band with a huge hit at the time called "Break Stuff".  What the hell did they think was going to happen?  And he was blaming the women who were topless for being assaulted?!?  What an asshole.  Perhaps the fact that they had nowhere near enough security and staff to handle that big of a crowd caused most of the issues.

Korn playing Blind is still one of the craziest things I've ever seen in my life.  The crowd when that song kicks in is absolute insanity...couldn't imagine being in a crowd like that.  Good thing I was still in high school in 99 because if I was a few years older at the time I definitely would have tried to go...
    Actually I think the evil/white/rapey description was pretty accurate.

Scher was a total douchebag but I couldn't disagree with him about putting some blame on the women. Should a woman be able to walk around a festival topless and not be groped?  Yes.

Should those women have expected men to grab their boobs in the crowd?  Yes. We are animals after all. There is no way they could expect to lay out their goods and not expect groping.

Some of the sexual assaults that took place were disturbing and I don't think those were the topless girls.  

I have three daughters and you can bet that my advice would have been to keep their tops on, don't drink too much, and to stay away from the pit. My oldest daughter had someone drug up her drink several years ago and she was assaulted by that person. The police didn't give much of a shit because she willingly went to his apartment. Making that drive to the hospital without knowing what was going on was one of the most frightening things of my life. 

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    edited August 2021

I was shocked at
    Sorry, just created a separate thread on this b/c I didn't see this one.

But I was at the Lolla show and godamn they tore it up. Went with some friends and we were all laughing at the prospect of seeing LB. I can honestly say they far and away exceeded my expectations. Not surprised the Woodstock 99 fiasco occurred b/c they can get a crowd going in a heartbeat. 
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020

Scher was a total douchebag but I couldn't disagree with him about putting some blame on the women. Should a woman be able to walk around a festival topless and not be groped?  Yes.

Should those women have expected men to grab their boobs in the crowd?  Yes. We are animals after all. There is no way they could expect to lay out their goods and not expect groping.

Some of the sexual assaults that took place were disturbing and I don't think those were the topless girls.  

I have three daughters and you can bet that my advice would have been to keep their tops on, don't drink too much, and to stay away from the pit. My oldest daughter had someone drug up her drink several years ago and she was assaulted by that person. The police didn't give much of a shit because she willingly went to his apartment. Making that drive to the hospital without knowing what was going on was one of the most frightening things of my life. 

before you get jumped all over, people, please remember he prefaced paragraph 3 with the bolded. 

expectation does not equal exoneration. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

before you get jumped all over, people, please remember he prefaced paragraph 3 with the bolded. 

Yeah I expect some flack but I'm right. Amerikkkans are too fucking stupid to not grope females when given the opportunity. When there is a lack of authority and they are basically anonymous in a crowd they will do whatever the fuck they think they can get away with.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville

Yeah I expect some flack but I'm right. Amerikkkans are too fucking stupid to not grope females when given the opportunity. When there is a lack of authority and they are basically anonymous in a crowd they will do whatever the fuck they think they can get away with.
    oh it ain't just americans.....I assure you. it's many men in general. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

agreed...

We have had many discussions in my house about why men can walk around without shirts and women can't.  It should be equal but it just isn't.  I'm going to stare at those boobies.  I won't touch them....but many others will given the opportunity.

edited August 2021

agreed...

We have had many discussions in my house about why men can walk around without shirts and women can't.  It should be equal but it just isn't.  I'm going to stare at those boobies.  I won't touch them....but many others will given the opportunity.

it's actually legal for women to be topless everywhere men are allowed to be topless (at least I think it is). but women just don't do it here. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

ikiT said:

head to 19:19 and let it run...

For a long time I only had the audio of this 1 song and that was my entire Woodstock 99 experience. Just hearing that 1 song, I knew that the whole scene was an out of control zoo. I can't believe it was still daylight. I wanted to go, in retrospect, I am so glad I did not. Like the NFL, it's better on TV. I never even thought of watching on the You Tubes. I'm going to start watching tonight, Rage first. then Bush, then Ice Cube, the RHCPs and then Metallica.
    “Break Stuff” performance is one of the best things ive ever seen. 

Notice he made no comments about the festival or the $10 water bottles.   That became a myth somehow.   Not to mention the riots were 27 hours after Limp Bizkit’s set.  
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    edited August 2021

agreed...

To tell you the truth, I'm not crazy about anybody walking around topless.  In fact, it seems more tasteless when men are topless- especially when it comes to the hairy rock star dude without a shirt on thing.  It's not that I base my tastes on music around that kind of thing, but when I think about it, I don't remember seeing any of these favorite musician people (in real life or in photos) topless:

Neil Young (or any other Crazy Horse member)
    J Mascis
    Lou Barlow
    Steve Wynn
    Paul Westerberg
    Bob Dylan
    Pete Townshend
    Tom Petty
    Ian Anderson
    All four Beatles
    Eric Clapton
    Leslie West
    Brian Eno
    Robert Fripp
    Sandy Bull
    Sun Ra
    Miles Davis
    John Coltrane
    Albert Ayler
    Thelonious Monk
    Ornette Coleman

And some of those who have, shouldn't have because it made them look ridiculous:
    Brian Wilson
    Jimi Hendrix
    Larry Coryell (well, OK, only on his second album cover and it was OK because Julie Coryell is on it!)

And don't talk to me about Eddie Vedder, lol.  I'm a mid-period PJ fan and he had outgrown that nonsense by then!

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    brianlux said:

agreed...

To tell you the truth, I'm not crazy about anybody walking around topless.  In fact, it seems more tasteless when men are topless- especially when it comes to the hairy rock star dude without a shirt on thing.  It's not that I base my tastes on music around that kind of thing, but when I think about it, I don't remember seeing any of these favorite musician people (in real life or in photos) topless:

J Mascis
    Lou Barlow
    Steve Wynn
    Paul Westerberg
    Bob Dylan
    Pete Townshend
    Tom Petty
    Ian Anderson
    All four Beatles
    Eric Clapton
    Leslie West
    Brian Eno
    Robert Fripp
    Sandy Bull
    Sun Ra
    Miles Davis
    John Coltrane
    Albert Ayler
    Thelonious Monk
    Ornette Coleman

And some of those who have, shouldn't have because it made them look ridiculous:
    Brian Wilson
    Jimi Hendrix
    Larry Coryell (well, OK, only on his second album cover and it was OK because Julie Coryell is on it!)

And don't talk to me about Eddie Vedder, lol.  I'm a mid-period PJ fan and he had outgrown that nonsense by then!

What’s your stance on Donald Duck?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

agreed...

J Mascis
    Lou Barlow
    Steve Wynn
    Paul Westerberg
    Bob Dylan
    Pete Townshend
    Tom Petty
    Ian Anderson
    All four Beatles
    Eric Clapton
    Leslie West
    Brian Eno
    Robert Fripp
    Sandy Bull
    Sun Ra
    Miles Davis
    John Coltrane
    Albert Ayler
    Thelonious Monk
    Ornette Coleman

Brian Wilson
    Jimi Hendrix

What’s your stance on Donald Duck?

OOPS!
    Donald Duck Naked  Retro Junk Article

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

layne staley was frequently pictured topless. while it kind of reminds me of the bygone era of the 80's cock rock, it didn't bother me that much. chris cornell in the 90's was also frequently topless. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,390
    layne staley was frequently pictured topless. while it kind of reminds me of the bygone era of the 80's cock rock, it didn't bother me that much. chris cornell in the 90's was also frequently topless. 

As cheesy & cringeworthy as it was, shirtless Layne was still a better look than spandex Layne. 
  • 1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,825
    edited August 2021
    I watched it on PPV with my buddy when we were 14. His parents allowed him to get it. I only remember seeing a couple of bands that I love, and the fact that you could see the ladies....well....you know...uncensored....

I am eager to look back at it now in the documentary, and see how much I cringe now (Fred Durst was cringeworthy even THEN....)
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,055
    Then there are dudes like Dave Navarro who don't even seem to own a shirt. 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    hihobibo said:
    Or a shower. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    hihobibo said:

Iggy Pop
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    I think Woodstock 94 was a much better festival, but again, Woodstock 99 had some amazing moments.  

I think HBO and the Ringer are trying to hype something up here.   
    Found on Bing from wwwpinterestcom  Snoopy tattoo Snoopy Snoopy and  woodstock

• timdwillitimdwilli Los Angeles, CA Posts: 294
    Listening to the San Bernardino 2000 bootleg, and Ed actually talks about the ridiculousness of Woodstock 99 in the encore break. He blames the promoters, doesn't mention Fred Durst
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    edited August 2021
    I have always deeply regretted not going.  I had a number of chances, and it is roughly a 3 hour drive for me.  I was a hair below 21 years old.  I had a lot of friends who attended as well.  

The problem is, I probably would have showed up with like 40 bucks and a maybe a tent.  

Seeing the HBO doc made me really feel like I lucked out by not going.  It is shocking that only 3 people died to be honest.  

The promoters were to blame here.  Seemed poorly, very poorly planned with no contingencies.  On top of the poor planning, staffing, resources, they decided to stack the most charged acts on Saturday night one on top of the other, and John Scher has the lack of awareness to blame it on Fred Durst.  

It is terrible and ghastly that sexual assault was happening.   
    Not sure what to think about the topless women.  I mean, most I saw on the doc were wonderful to look at I guess.  It was apparently 100 degrees on the asphalt, so I'm sure it felt a little more tolerable without a shirt/bra on.
    However, they were in a literal sea of 250,000 18-25 year old men in a pretty primal situation.  Covering up would have been advisable.  But to what end? 

Post edited by MayDay10 on
    MayDay10 said:
    I have always deeply regretted not going.  I had a number of chances, and it is roughly a 3 hour drive for me.  I was a hair below 21 years old.  I had a lot of friends who attended as well.  

The problem is, I probably would have showed up with like 40 bucks and a maybe a tent.  

Seeing the HBO doc made me really feel like I lucked out by not going.  It is shocking that only 3 people died to be honest.  

The promoters were to blame here.  Seemed poorly, very poorly planned with no contingencies.  On top of the poor planning, staffing, resources, they decided to stack the most charged acts on Saturday night one on top of the other, and John Scher has the lack of awareness to blame it on Fred Durst.  

It is terrible and ghastly that sexual assault was happening.   
    Not sure what to think about the topless women.  I mean, most I saw on the doc were wonderful to look at I guess.  It was apparently 100 degrees on the asphalt, so I'm sure it felt a little more tolerable without a shirt/bra on.
    However, they were in a literal sea of 250,000 18-25 year old men in a pretty primal situation.  Covering up would have been advisable.  But to what end? 

yeah that was my point....bad enough to be female surrounded by drunk idiots without much security.  Being topless just asks for trouble.

• 1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,825
    edited August 2021
    Remember my buddy getting the PPV event when we were 14. Not sure how his parents allowed that with the things we saw! Definitely liked some of the acts, except for Limp Bizkit. I can distinctly remember not liking them for over 20 years lol.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,848
    I've been waiting on this one... The HBO doc was good, looking forward to this one as well.
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby