Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Its a shame the rest of the boots got pushed. dropping 5 bootlegs would give him some good press and promotion for the archives. 
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    Carnegie Hall preorder is up now

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    A cool response from Neil to a letter about Jeff

Unfortunately, Neil won’t be playing FarmAid this year

(Tim Rogers)

(Tim Rogers)
  • Awesome!!

also, OBS1 just shipped for me. 
    edited September 2021
    Awesome!!

also, OBS1 just shipped for me. 
    Cool. I got my shipping notification this morning too. We moved house last week so I emailed them to see what they could do. They resent the order confirmation, and my new address is on the shipping email. Much better than the 'fingers crossed' response I got from 10C...
    Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)
    Carnegie Hall is streaming on NYA now  =)

(Tim Rogers)
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    goldrush said:
    Carnegie Hall is streaming on NYA now  =)

How does it sound, acoustics, voice, recording, etc.?  Is it elite like Massey?
  • As good as the past few live releases. 

• jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    Streamed this during the day. This a lot like the rest of the releases from this period.
  • Out on Spotify. 

Will collect these bootlegs over the other live releases I think.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Ok, now that I have the LP, straight up, it’s his best sounding solo live record. 
    And now I wish they did release them all at once. 
    Ok, now that I have the LP, straight up, it’s his best sounding solo live record. 
    I got it too... even though I didn't even realize that I pre-ordered, but I think Massey is better.  I also think his voice was stronger at Massey. It's definitely better than Cellar or Judy.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592

mrussel1 said:
    I got it too... even though I didn't even realize that I pre-ordered, but I think Massey is better.  I also think his voice was stronger at Massey. It's definitely better than Cellar or Judy.

Is there much chatter between song or just music?  I don't care for records that are broken up with lot of talk.  Fr better or worse, that's just how I am.  A little is OK- like Steve Wynn talking briefly two or three times throughout the entire four sides of The Dream Syndicate's, The Complete Live at Rajis- but more than that is just too much to keep my interest.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

Is there much chatter between song or just music?  I don't care for records that are broken up with lot of talk.  Fr better or worse, that's just how I am.  A little is OK- like Steve Wynn talking briefly two or three times throughout the entire four sides of The Dream Syndicate's, The Complete Live at Rajis- but more than that is just too much to keep my interest.
    No it has little chatter that I recall.  He did make a funny joke late, chiding the audience for applauding the opening to a song.  He said that all of his piano songs open the same so they couldn’t know what it was…and that he’s on to them.  
    Most minimal banter. 
  • shorty4568shorty4568 Seattle, WA Posts: 173
    Carnegie Hall is a fantastic sounding pressing. Don't sleep on this one, get it while its still in print.   
    This really is a beautiful sounding record, and it’s a phenomenal performance. It’s right up there with Massey Hall for me.

(Tim Rogers)
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

No it has little chatter that I recall.  He did make a funny joke late, chiding the audience for applauding the opening to a song.  He said that all of his piano songs open the same so they couldn’t know what it was…and that he’s on to them.  

Most minimal banter. 

Carnegie Hall is a fantastic sounding pressing. Don't sleep on this one, get it while its still in print.   

goldrush said:
    This really is a beautiful sounding record, and it’s a phenomenal performance. It’s right up there with Massey Hall for me.

All^^^ good to know, guys, thanks!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,817
    If I have Massey Hall, Cellar Door, even Judy… do I really need Shakespeare AND Carnegie Hall? Can I actually skip both?

I really have to fight the collector inside of me when it comes to NY
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • shorty4568shorty4568 Seattle, WA Posts: 173
    edited October 2021
    pjpitt89 said:
    If I have Massey Hall, Cellar Door, even Judy… do I really need Shakespeare AND Carnegie Hall? Can I actually skip both?

I really have to fight the collector inside of me when it comes to NY
    I've got all 5 and I think Massey Hall & Carnegie Hall are the two must haves. You could skip Shakespeare if you had those two already. Shakespeare is also digitally sourced. All 3 of them have similar set lists but Massey & Carnegie have superior sound quality. Carnegie will be desired by NY collectors for years. If it goes out of print like some of PS releases, the price will go up. 
    At the complete opposite end of the spectrum, NYA is also currently streaming the first set from a ragged 1997 NYCH warm-up show 

Hard Luck Stories

I'm The Ocean

Razor Love

Crime In The City

Truth Be Known

Piece Of Crap

Don't Be Denied

Throw Your Hatred Down

Downtown

Hippie Dream

Mellow My Mind

Rockin' In The Free World

(Tim Rogers)
    So, I kind of poo-hooed the Carnegie Hall release based on streaming it on NYA. I gave in a purchased the vinyl. I’ll no longer poo-hoo this release. It’s a beautiful. As others have said, it’s right there with Massey. 
  • So, I kind of poo-hooed the Carnegie Hall release based on streaming it on NYA. I gave in a purchased the vinyl. I’ll no longer poo-hoo this release. It’s a beautiful. As others have said, it’s right there with Massey. 
    Is that the one just released? On Amazon it’s 32.99? Is that right? I thought it was a lot more expensive when I was watching it a month or so ago
    So, I kind of poo-hooed the Carnegie Hall release based on streaming it on NYA. I gave in a purchased the vinyl. I’ll no longer poo-hoo this release. It’s a beautiful. As others have said, it’s right there with Massey. 
    Is that the one just released? On Amazon it’s 32.99? Is that right? I thought it was a lot more expensive when I was watching it a month or so ago
    It’s the one released the other week. Part of the new “bootleg” series. I paid $35 at my local spot.
  • AW124797AW124797 Posts: 641
    edited October 2021
    Hello, friends! Need some help here. I'd like to get some NY vinyl - one live and one studio. Where should I start? Thanks for any input.
    Post edited by AW124797 on
  • AW124797AW124797 Posts: 641
    Reading back seems like this new bootleg is a must have.
    Yeah, because Massey Hall is out of print. 

For studio, you can’t go wrong with After the Goldrush, Harvest, Everybody Knows this is Nowhere, Tonight’s the Night, or On The Beach
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    Yeah, because Massey Hall is out of print. 

For studio, you can’t go wrong with After the Goldrush, Harvest, Everybody Knows this is Nowhere, Tonight’s the Night, or On The Beach
    I agree with all of those studio releases. I also really love Live Rust as a live album.