Ohana Encore Weekend

Comments

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,622
    steven87 said:
    PJNB said:
    Curious what songs everyone is hoping to hear whether it is for the first time or not. My top five would be
    1. Parting Ways
    2. Hard to Imagine
    3. Hold On
    4. Undone
    5. Around the Bend

My top 5 that I haven’t heard (in no particular order):
    1. Fatal
    2. Of the girl
    3. Around the bend
    4. Falling down
    5. Other side 

My top 5 that I’ve heard and would love to hear again:
    1. Parting ways
    2. Hard to imagine
    3. Hold on
    4. Sleight of hand
    5. Off he goes
    Damn fine list. Lucky to hear Otherside twice in my 14 shows. Amazing song live. 
    PJNB said:
    I am curious how often Comes Then Goes gets played.   I don’t have any interest in hearing that live.  Too long and monotonous.
    Wonder if that gets the Saturday Night EV solo treatment. 

bbiggs said:
    Will be interesting to see how these songs translate live.  Aside from the first four tracks, I think the rest could potentially be snoozers.  And I thoroughly enjoy the slower side of their catalog.  Some of these from Gigaton just don't seem like they'll do well live, but I hope to be wrong.

Crowd wise I think you might be right but still think a lot of the songs from 5-12 can fit into the set on a semi regular basis on the upcoming 2022 tour. I hope for Ohana we get them all throughout the 3 nights too. 4 a night would be a perfect mix with the other staples. 
    River Cross seems like it would be a huge letdown for momentum at a PJ show. 
    Ya a handful of songs from Gigaton give me that impression even though I enjoy the studio versions of every song on the album. Be interesting to see where they place songs on the set. 
    edited August 2021
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • PJNB said:
    Ya a handful of songs from Gigaton give me that impression even though I enjoy the studio versions of every song on the album. Be interesting to see where they place songs on the set. 
    I can see it as an opener or to open one of the encores. 
    Dallas 98
    Dallas 2000
    Kansas City 2000
    St. Louis 2000
    Memphis 2000
    OKC 2003
    Dallas 2003
    Kansas City 2003
    Little Rock 2003
    Cincinnati 2006
    Vegas 2006
    EV Los Angeles 2008 x 2
    VH1 Rock Honors the Who 2008 
    Berlin 2009
    Los Angeles 2009 x 4
    The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien 2009
    Los Angeles 2013 x 2
    Tulsa 2014
    EV Ohana 2016
    Ohana 2021 x 4
    Los Angeles 2022 x 2
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    PJNB said:
    I am curious how often Comes Then Goes gets played.   I don’t have any interest in hearing that live.  Too long and monotonous.

bbiggs said:
    Will be interesting to see how these songs translate live.  Aside from the first four tracks, I think the rest could potentially be snoozers.  And I thoroughly enjoy the slower side of their catalog.  Some of these from Gigaton just don't seem like they'll do well live, but I hope to be wrong.

Crowd wise I think you might be right but still think a lot of the songs from 5-12 can fit into the set on a semi regular basis on the upcoming 2022 tour. I hope for Ohana we get them all throughout the 3 nights too. 4 a night would be a perfect mix with the other staples. 

Ed opened his Ohana set in 2019(?) with it -- another one with more of an "Ed solo" than "full band" vibe.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • BB162610BB162610 Upstate NY Posts: 541
    Jeff said on his IG Live feed the other day that he was excited to play River Cross.  I was hoping that was sarcasm but it didn't seem it...
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Ed opened the Pilgrimage Fest with it in 2017.  Now that I can check that box having seen it live, I'd be good with it being retired.
  • jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,159
    1. Who you are
    2. No way
    3. Fatal
    4. LBC
    5. Light years
  • bbiggs said:
    Ed opened the Pilgrimage Fest with it in 2017.  Now that I can check that box having seen it live, I'd be good with it being retired.
    I'm not sure I even need to check the box, plenty of songs I'd rather see that I haven't and probably never will. 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    bbiggs said:
    I'm not sure I even need to check the box, plenty of songs I'd rather see that I haven't and probably never will. 
    Very true. 
  • chittychitty Posts: 574
    PJNB said:

bbiggs said:

Interesting, I think that is a great song. Maybe as new closer or second to last closer

• chittychitty Posts: 574
    For me the one rarity I have not heard, as I've been fortunate to be at shows where PJ has played alot of rarities, is Hold On.
    A song I have heard once before live, but currently loving again and would love to hear is Inside Job
    edited August 2021
    So flying in from Canada as of right now we need a negative test 72hrs or less before our departure time to fly back home. We are looking to get this on Thursday September 30th and will have a car. Does anyone know of a place that will do this for free or on the cheap and will get back to us before Sunday morning? We are flexible on location and are unsure where we are staying Thursday night as of right now. Dana Point to LA all work I would imagine. 
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    PJNB said:
    So flying in from Canada as of right now we need a negative test 72hrs or less before our departure time to fly back home. We are looking to get this on Thursday September 30th and will have a car. Does anyone know of a place that will do this for free or on the cheap and will get back to us before Sunday morning? We are flexible on location and are unsure where we are staying Thursday night as of right now. Dana Point to LA all work I would imagine. 

Well as you know I'm south of there in San Diego county; this is part of what the county said a few days ago about testing:

<<In addition to these new sites, the County opened six others last week, bringing the daily testing capacity to about 6,500 tests each day. Testing is also widely available through pharmacies and other medical providers, with hospital emergency departments primarily for those symptomatic and in need of immediate care. Test results generally come back in about 1-2 days.

For a complete list of COVID-19 testing locations, visit coronavirus-sd.com/testing. >>

So I suggest checking Google for Orange County testing sites and/or finding a CVS pharmacy in OC that will do testing.

Use some caution; I've heard of people signing up for testing at a random site and being charged hundreds of dollars. A county-run site or a CVS will be your safer bet.

Also bear in mind that the COVID landscape most likely will be very different six weeks from now (in a good way, we hope).
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,927
    PJNB said:
    I'd suggest CVS or walgreens. They have a rapid test I've had to take when traveling to Hawaii before I got vaxxed. I had results within a few hours.
    PJNB said:

Well as you know I'm south of there in San Diego county; this is part of what the county said a few days ago about testing:

<<In addition to these new sites, the County opened six others last week, bringing the daily testing capacity to about 6,500 tests each day. Testing is also widely available through pharmacies and other medical providers, with hospital emergency departments primarily for those symptomatic and in need of immediate care. Test results generally come back in about 1-2 days.

For a complete list of COVID-19 testing locations, visit coronavirus-sd.com/testing. >>

So I suggest checking Google for Orange County testing sites and/or finding a CVS pharmacy in OC that will do testing.

Use some caution; I've heard of people signing up for testing at a random site and being charged hundreds of dollars. A county-run site or a CVS will be your safer bet.

Also bear in mind that the COVID landscape most likely will be very different six weeks from now (in a good way, we hope).
    I hope you are right on that one! I see rate of transmission is slowing down for you guys as a state so that is a good sign. I will look more into the pharmacies that provide the service in the OC thanks for the advice. I am trying not to pay anything but it looks like there will be a fee no matter where we go. 
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,392
    edited August 2021
    ^ Make sure it's  PCR and not an antigen test. The latter will get you in to the States, though, and is less costly.

I hope the States open to vaccinated Canadians and that we make testing easier for short travel.

My 2020 Disney cruise which may occur next May now wants the PCR test for unvacinnated kids 5 days before departure. I'm considering canceling a day or two of my land before sea portion to avoid testing before we leave and then a few days later. The expense is almost equal to airfare!
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • SpartanacusSpartanacus San Diego Posts: 794
    bbiggs said:
    I was at it's live debut at the 2017 Ohana Fest.  Out of the new ones I HAVE to hear Quick Escape...best song on the album by far for me...and maybe a top 10 all time PJ song.  

And if I don't hear any of them besides River Cross, I'll take a pass on Take the Long Way and Retrograde.  Not a big fan of those two.

But most of all I need to finally hear DEEP after 14 shows.  
    bbiggs said:
    I was at it's live debut at the 2017 Ohana Fest.  Out of the new ones I HAVE to hear Quick Escape...best song on the album by far for me...and maybe a top 10 all time PJ song.  

And if I don't hear any of them besides River Cross, I'll take a pass on Take the Long Way and Retrograde.  Not a big fan of those two.

Deep is so good live. When Eddie lays on his back holding the mic stand is pretty damn cool too. 

I am still holding out hope for 2hrs 30mins sets on the 3 shows. Thats what they played at Fenway 2018 and they got around 30 songs in. Either way can't wait! 
    I saw in a Zeb Love post yesterday that he has a couple of big projects coming up. Got me thinking what are they planning for posters for the 3 shows and the EV solo? Are we going to get the traditional poster for each show plus maybe an Ohana Fest/Encore poster along with it or are they going to go with the baseball treatment for the PJ shows with 5+ posters. 
  • branscopbranscop Posts: 1,181
    steven87 said:
    1. Fatal
    2. Of the girl

These two have to be played consecutively at some point (not sure they ever have). Would be incredible.
  • aidt17aidt17 Posts: 610
    edited August 2021
    So does this mean if we flew in on Thursday night and flew out Sunday morning, a negative test before we flew on Thursday would be within that 72 hour like if we were in the country for a total of 60 hours?  
    Hamilton 05, 11, Cleveland 06, Toronto 09, 16, Buffalo 10,13, London 13, Seattle 13, Detroit 14, Milwaukee 14, Ottawa 16, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1 & 2

aidt17 said:
    So does this mean if we flew in on Thursday night and flew out Sunday morning, a negative test before we flew on Thursday would be within that 72 hour like if we were in the country for a total of 60 hours?  
    Yes that is how I read it going forward. Have to be careful with layovers in other states and delays in flights though I think.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/flying-canada-checklist/covid-19-testing-travellers-coming-into-canada

After August 9, 2021: Canadian citizens and permanent residents travelling to the United States for less than 72 hours are allowed to do their pre-entry molecular test before they leave Canada.

• if your test is more than 72 hours old before you enter Canada, you’ll be required to get a new pre-entry molecular test in the United States
  • aidt17aidt17 Posts: 610
    PJNB said:
    aidt17 said:
    Yes that is how I read it going forward. Have to be careful with layovers in other states and delays in flights though I think.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/flying-canada-checklist/covid-19-testing-travellers-coming-into-canada

After August 9, 2021: Canadian citizens and permanent residents travelling to the United States for less than 72 hours are allowed to do their pre-entry molecular test before they leave Canada.

• if your test is more than 72 hours old before you enter Canada, you’ll be required to get a new pre-entry molecular test in the United States
    My biggest concern is I have have have to be back for work Monday. If I get stuck over there I’ll be in deep sheet 
    Hamilton 05, 11, Cleveland 06, Toronto 09, 16, Buffalo 10,13, London 13, Seattle 13, Detroit 14, Milwaukee 14, Ottawa 16, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1 & 2

• steven87steven87 Posts: 1,105
    PJNB said:
    bbiggs said:

Deep is so good live. When Eddie lays on his back holding the mic stand is pretty damn cool too. 

I am still holding out hope for 2hrs 30mins sets on the 3 shows. Thats what they played at Fenway 2018 and they got around 30 songs in. Either way can't wait! 
    Definitely one of my favorites to hear live. The last time I heard it was Fenway 2016, and that version was amazing. Really hoping to hear it again at one of the Ohana encore shows. 
  • steven87steven87 Posts: 1,105
    branscop said:
    steven87 said:
    1. Fatal
    2. Of the girl
    These two have to be played consecutively at some point (not sure they ever have). Would be incredible.
    This would be an amazing combo. I would love if this happened at some point. 
  • philp33philp33 Posts: 13
    PJNB said:
    Curious what songs everyone is hoping to hear whether it is for the first time or not. My top five would be
    1. Parting Ways
    2. Hard to Imagine
    3. Hold On
    4. Undone
    5. Around the Bend

I'm hoping for Hard to Imagine and No Way as a long shot consolation. 
  • In no particular order:

- Hold On (seen once)
    - Breakferfall (seen once in 38 shows and this is my fav live song to open a show after the slow opener)
    - No Way (seen once)
    - WMA full version (seen twice)
    - Hitchhiker

Honorable mentions: Marker, 1/2 Full, Johnny Guitar, Red Mosquito 
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited August 2021
    There’s the email. No entry without proof of vaccination or a negative COVID test no earlier than September 29th. 
    I need a 72 hr negative COVID test to fly to the US at this time no matter what my vaccination status is. We just have to be sure to get our test in the 29th (the day before we fly out).  US doesn’t recognize me AZ shot anyway (Phizer for the 2nd shot). 

It’s the way it has to be I guess. 
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,392
    ^  Saskatchewan is now offering a 3rd dose of Pfizer or Moderna if you had mixed doses to enable people to have International recognition when travelling.

Reach out to your provincial health care provider.