Black Lives Matter

Comments

• HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Dolly is a treasure.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    First of all, no doubt about it, Dolly Parton is a wonder lady.  But what am I missing here?  She has tons of money and bought a building for herself in Nashville in a black neighborhood.  How is this related to Black Lives Matter and what does this do for black lives in general?

Don't get me wrong- I am in no way being critical here.  I just don't understand how this helps black live.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Welcome 2 America gatefold. Still reeling from this loss five years (and change) later. 

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269
    https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2021/07/16/richard-sherman-wifes-frightening-911-call-hes-threatening-to-kill-himself/

So if anyone still wonders if all black people worry about police responses the answer is yes, even if you have money. 
    I get the point you're trying to prove here but did you read the whole article?

It clearly says Richard Sherman was drunk and belligerent. It also says he was being aggressive and fighting with his uncle.

It doesn't matter what color you are, if you are drunk, belligerent and aggressive, you should be worried about the police response.

The article doesn't mention how Richard Sherman was let out of jail without bail because the judge considers him a  "pillar of the community". He was drinking and driving, crashed his car on the highway, fighting with his uncle and then fighting with the police and injured the police during his arrest.

I'm not trying to make light of the violence against the black community but this is a poor example of black people having to worry about police response.

Richard Sherman's wife was rightfully worried about the police shooting him but it shouldn't of been because of the color of his skin.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    JB16057 said:
    https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2021/07/16/richard-sherman-wifes-frightening-911-call-hes-threatening-to-kill-himself/

So if anyone still wonders if all black people worry about police responses the answer is yes, even if you have money. 

It clearly says Richard Sherman was drunk and belligerent. It also says he was being aggressive and fighting with his uncle.

It doesn't matter what color you are, if you are drunk, belligerent and aggressive, you should be worried about the police response.

The article doesn't mention how Richard Sherman was let out of jail without bail because the judge considers him a  "pillar of the community". He was drinking and driving, crashed his car on the highway, fighting with his uncle and then fighting with the police and injured the police during his arrest.

I'm not trying to make light of the violence against the black community but this is a poor example of black people having to worry about police response.

Richard Sherman's wife was rightfully worried about the police shooting him but it shouldn't of been because of the color of his skin.

Wait....you think someone being drunk and disorderly should make them fear for their lives?
    What happened to tasers?  Other ways to subdue?
    Wasn't like the guy is running around with a gun.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
    JB16057 said:

Wait....you think someone being drunk and disorderly should make them fear for their lives?

Or that after all that has transpired over the past 5 or 6 years that the color of your skin doesn't influence how the police respond?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    JB16057 said:

Or that after all that has transpired over the past 5 or 6 years that the color of your skin doesn't influence how the police respond?

Yeah, I think that is just as crazy...but, putting that aside...being a drunk asswipe gets you shot these days?
    What in the heck is going on?
    No weapon, no hostages or anything like that, just a drunken mess.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    JB16057 said:

Yeah, I think that is just as crazy...but, putting that aside...being a drunk asswipe gets you shot these days?
    What in the heck is going on?
    No weapon, no hostages or anything like that, just a drunken mess.

A drunken AGGRESSIVE mess. He fought with the cops and injured them. No taser or gun was used luckily.

To answer your question, no, only being a drunk ass wipe does not mean you deserve to get shot. My point is that if you choose to fight with the police, you increase your chances of being shot. That seems like common sense to me.
    JB16057 said:

The color of his skin obviously didn't influence how the police responded to THIS incident. Like I said in my original statement, "I'm not trying to make light of the violence against the black community but this is a poor example of black people having to worry about police response. "
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:

The color of his skin obviously didn't influence how the police responded to THIS incident. Like I said in my original statement, "I'm not trying to make light of the violence against the black community but this is a poor example of black people having to worry about police response. "
    I did read the entire article.  
    Since I posted the original I’ll throw my two cents in.  My thoughts were based on my father waving a gun around threatening suicide on several occasions (no he didn’t drink, just fucking crazy) during my childhood but never once did we think the cops would shoot him when we called for help. 
    So I get what your saying…guess it was a kind of flashback for me and I compared the two incidents so maybe not the best example.  
    I'm sorry to hear your story. 

If I remember correctly, Richard Sherman had all of his guns taken away from him a few months ago because he was threatening to kill himself then as well. I can't remember the whole story as it only came to light last month during this incident.

He has been going through some mental struggles and I hope he receives the help he needs.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409
    great piece by dan rather and his team.....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    another one down.....

Statue of Confederate Robert E. Lee taken down in Virginia
    By SARAH RANKIN and DENISE LAVOIE
    9 mins ago

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Crews using a crane and other heavy equipment on Wednesday hoisted an enormous statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee off the giant pedestal where it has towered over Virginia’s capital city for more than a century.

The piece, one of America’s largest monuments to the Confederacy, was lifted away to boisterous cheers from a crowd of hundreds. Some chanted “whose streets? Our streets!" and “Hey hey hey, goodbye.”

The statue was lowered to the ground where it was expected to be cut into pieces so that it can be brought to a secure location, where it will be stored until its final disposition is determined.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. AP’s earlier story follows below.

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — After years of resistance and a long court battle, one of America’s largest monuments to the Confederacy was being pulled from its prominent perch in Virginia’s capital city Wednesday.

Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam ordered the Richmond statue of Gen. Robert E. Lee taken down last summer, citing the pain felt across the country over the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis after a white police officer pressed a knee into his neck. But until a recent court ruling cleared the way, Northam’s plans had been tied up in litigation.

The statue, a 21-foot (6-meter) bronze equestrian sculpture that sits atop a pedestal nearly twice that tall, has towered above a prominent residential boulevard named Monument Avenue since 1890 in this former capital of the Confederacy.

Crews began work before 8 a.m. Wednesday. Two public viewing areas were set up, with only limited visibility. A crowd of about 200 people chanted “What do we want? Justice. When do we want it? Now!” as a work crew dwarfed by the size of the statue strapped red and blue harnesses to the Lee figure and his horse. The workers were lifted up to the statue on platforms.

The state brought in a deconstruction crew surrounded by a heavy police presence to strap the statue to a crane. State, capitol and city police officers closed streets for blocks around the state-owned traffic circle in Richmond, using heavy equipment and crowd-control barriers to keep crowds away. The Federal Aviation Administration granted the state’s request to ban drone flights during the event, which will be livestreamed through the governor’s Facebook and Twitter accounts.

“This is a historic moment for the city of Richmond. The city, the community at large is saying that we’re not going to stand for these symbols of hate in our city anymore. And it was important for me to be here to see this historic moment,” said Rachel Smucker, 28, a Richmond resident who was at the viewing site early Wednesday with her sister.

Smucker, who is white, said she moved to Richmond around three years ago. It was her first time living in the South, and she found Monument Avenue “jarring.”

“I’ve always found it to be offensive, as a symbol of protecting slavery and the racism that people of color still face today,” Smucker said.

The one-of-a-kind piece, valued for its artistic quality, stood among four other massive Confederate statues on the avenue, but the city removed the others last summer.

“We put things on pedestals when we want people to look up,” Northam said in June 2020 when he announced the removal plan. “Think about the message that this sends to people coming from around the world to visit the capital city of one of the largest states in our country. Or to young children.”

continues.....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited October 2021
    Not sure this goes here, but they found the dude responsible for defacing the Floyd statue:
    https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/8580470002

Micah Beals, 37, was charged with criminal mischief after surveillance video showed a white man on a skateboard splash gray paint on the statue in the city's Union Square then fleeing on Oct. 3, the New York Police Department's hate crimes task force tweeted Monday.

Under the stage name Micah Femia, Beals has played small roles on "Parks and Recreation" and "CSI: New York," the Sacramento BeeThe Hill and People Magazine reported. Beals first appeared on "CSI: New York" in 2005 and also starred in the 2013 movie "Pop Star," according to IMDb.

Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
    edited January 2022
    Ahmaud Arbery murder case sentencing is in. The father/son get life without parole plus 20 years. The other bumpkin gets life with an opportunity for parole.
    Post edited by Halifax2TheMax on
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • FiveBelow said:
    Well everything else is getting defaced. If Virgin Mary statues are going to be set on fire, there's no reason BLM murals can't be defaced too...

Could have been done by a former choirboy. It’s not like the Catholic Church doesn’t have baggage or clean hands. Not everything traces back to BLM.
    Sure it does. Since the Floyd murder, people have felt empowered to go around destroying stuff. Especially symbols of things. Symbols of America like George Washington, symbols of Christianity like Virgin Mary, etc. So if even if it was a disgruntled choirboy, if not for the aftermath of the Floyd murder, he probably wouldn't have done this. 

Do you think people were openly going around spray-painting stuff like this before the Floyd "movement"?

That could have been done by Proud Boys or Buggaloos to stir shit up, particularly as the graffiti lacks Skilz, yo. What’s behind the fence? And yes, shit like that was spray painted before George Floyd’s murder, you just didn’t hear about it nor were afraid because of it.

People have been vandalizing shit since the beginning of time and spray painting or tagging shit since spray paint was invented. But let’s blame all vandalism and spray painting on the post George Floyd protests. “Get back in your place, you doth protesteth too much.”
    So a Virgin Mary statue is defaced, maybe it's a choirboy! 

"Kill White People" is spray-painted, maybe it's white supremacist trying to stir shit!

A girl is shot for saying "All Lives Matter," immediately you speculated that maybe she or her friends said the N-word!

Let me guess, the one-year-old that was murdered in NYC ripped the murderers off and the kid had it coming?
    Because former choir boys ain’t got no reason, right?

Buggaloos and Proud Boys ain’t never tried to stir shit up, right?

I didn’t speculate, I read the NY Post article reporting about what transpired. It said the following:

They argued with another group after one of the people Whitaker was with used a racial slur, her bereaved fiancé, Jose Ramirez, told WXIN.

A racially charged confrontation ensued with the other group, during which the suspect’s group shouted, “Black Lives Matter,” and someone in Whitaker’s group — possibly her — said, “all lives matter,” Ramirez said.

Is that what you think the 1 year old did? You're whacked, yo.
    As you well know, that's a caricature of you, obviously. You look to place blame anywhere and everywhere except where you know it belongs, to fit your politcal narratives, so that does seem like something you'd say. You sure as hell won't acknowledge how shootings are rising under De Blasio (up 130% from last year). Or that it was two black dudes that shot the one-year-old, because not the type of gun violence you like to talk about, yo. 
    I don't believe I commented on the one year old and I also believe my stance on firearms and "responsible" gun owners is well known. While you seem to want to blame gun violence solely on a person or group's skin color, I tend to think its much more complicated than that. Like unemployment, lack of opportunity, drugs, gangs, institutionalized racism, and yes, "responsible" gun owners flooding the illegal gun buyers market. You claim not to see "race" but yet you perpetuate the stereotypes. Constantly. See the NY Post article and your comment to me about me wanting to say maybe the N word was used. Nice to know that you also defend the Catholic church, a harmless/blameless organization. I wonder what the caricature of you would be because we all know white people don't shoot anyone?
    You are delusional. Bringing up race is kind of your thing.

Bringing up race = delusional? Got it. Because everyone knows, race doesn't matter. You have a strange understanding of the word "delusional." See the difference?

Don't lose any sleep, the weekend is here.

Brilliantati©
  • 2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com

Arbery killers convicted of federal hate crimes in his death
    By RUSS BYNUM
    2 hours ago

BRUNSWICK, Ga. (AP) — The three white men convicted of murder in Ahmaud Arbery’s shooting were found guilty of federal hate crimes Tuesday in a verdict that affirmed what family members and civil rights activists said all along: that he was chased down and killed because he was Black.

The verdict — handed down one day before the second anniversary of Arbery’s death on Feb. 23, 2020 — was symbolic, coming just months after all three defendants were convicted of murder in a Georgia state court and sentenced to life in prison.

But family and community members viewed the hate crimes trial as an important statement. The case also became part of a larger national reckoning on racial injustice after graphic video of Arbery’s killing leaked online.

“Ahmaud will continue to rest in peace. But he will now begin to rest in power,” Arbery’s mother, Wanda Cooper-Jones, told reporters outside the courthouse.

Arbery’s father, Marcus Arbery Sr., bowed his head and shook his fists in quiet celebration as the guilty verdicts were read in the courtroom. He then pressed his hands together in front of his face as if saying a silent prayer.

continues...

mickeyrat said:

Arbery killers convicted of federal hate crimes in his death
    By RUSS BYNUM
    2 hours ago

BRUNSWICK, Ga. (AP) — The three white men convicted of murder in Ahmaud Arbery’s shooting were found guilty of federal hate crimes Tuesday in a verdict that affirmed what family members and civil rights activists said all along: that he was chased down and killed because he was Black.

The verdict — handed down one day before the second anniversary of Arbery’s death on Feb. 23, 2020 — was symbolic, coming just months after all three defendants were convicted of murder in a Georgia state court and sentenced to life in prison.

But family and community members viewed the hate crimes trial as an important statement. The case also became part of a larger national reckoning on racial injustice after graphic video of Arbery’s killing leaked online.

“Ahmaud will continue to rest in peace. But he will now begin to rest in power,” Arbery’s mother, Wanda Cooper-Jones, told reporters outside the courthouse.

Arbery’s father, Marcus Arbery Sr., bowed his head and shook his fists in quiet celebration as the guilty verdicts were read in the courtroom. He then pressed his hands together in front of his face as if saying a silent prayer.

continues...

federal sentence handed down....

Best part is the denial to serve their sentences in a federal prison.  How can they seriously think that their safety and protection was important to anyone (other than POS) at this point?  

Former Louisville cop pleads guilty in Breonna Taylor case
    By DYLAN LOVAN
    31 mins ago

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — A former Louisville police detective who helped write the warrant that led to the deadly police raid at Breonna Taylor's apartment has pleaded guilty to a federal conspiracy charge.

Federal investigators said Kelly Goodlett added a false line to the warrant and later conspired with another detective to create a cover story when Taylor's March 13, 2020, shooting death by police began gaining national attention.

Taylor, a 26-year-old Black woman, was shot to death by officers who knocked down her door while executing a drug search warrant. Taylor’s boyfriend fired a shot that hit one of the officers as they came through the door and they returned fire, striking Taylor multiple times.

Goodlett, 35, appeared in a federal courtroom in Louisville on Tuesday afternoon and admitted to conspiring with another Louisville police officer to falsify the warrant. Goodlett briefly answered several questions from federal judge Rebecca Jennings Grady.

Three former Louisville officers were indicted on criminal civil rights charges earlier this month by a federal grand jury. Goodlett was not indicted, but charged in a federal information filing, which likely means the former detective is cooperating with investigators.

Goodlett will be sentenced Nov. 22. Grady said there may be “extenuating circumstances” that may move the court to push back the sentencing date. Part of the plea hearing was also kept under seal and was not discussed in open court Tuesday. She faces up to five years in prison for the conviction.

She resigned from the department Aug. 5, a day after U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland announced new federal charges in the Taylor case.

Former officers Joshua Jaynes and Kyle Meany were indicted on charges related to the warrant used to search Taylor's home. A third former officer, Brett Hankison, was charged with using excessive force when he retreated from Taylor’s door, turned a corner and fired 10 shots into the side of her two-bedroom apartment. He was acquitted by a jury on similar state charges earlier this year. Jaynes, Meany and Hankison have all been fired.

The three former officers face a maximum sentence of life in prison if convicted on the civil rights charges.

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    I wouldn't put this down as abuse.  The Officers were calm and not being assholes.
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited August 2022
    I wouldn't put this down as abuse.  The Officers were calm and not being assholes.
    I’m not so sure. 

I’ve mentioned it before, but the exact same thing happened nextdoor to me.

the guy who cuts my neighbours grass got the cops called on him as the the nextdoor neighbours  saw a black guy get out of a strange truck and walk onto their lawn.  They saw this via their ring camera. 

Their long term lawn person bought a new truck.  They only recognised him based on what he drove apparently 

the cops came and it was a whole thing.  Our neighbours weren’t even home so we had to explain the situation as they weren’t taking his word for it. Despite the fact he was actively mowing when they showed up.  Why did I have to vouch for the guy? Because I’m white? Whatever happened, the cops left when my wife and I came outside.  They never once thought the white guy walking out of an adjacent house might have also been breaking in.  They had no way of knowing I even lived there, they assumed 

you don’t  have to get beat up for it to be abuse 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
    I’m not so sure. 

the guy who cuts my neighbours grass got the cops called on him as the the nextdoor neighbours  saw a black guy get out of a strange truck and walk onto their lawn.  They saw this via their ring camera. 

Their long term lawn person bought a new truck.  They only recognised him based on what he drove apparently 

the cops came and it was a whole thing.  Our neighbours weren’t even home so we had to explain the situation as they weren’t taking his word for it. Despite the fact he was actively mowing when they showed up.  Why did I have to vouch for the guy? Because I’m white? Whatever happened, the cops left when my wife and I came outside.  They never once thought the white guy walking out of an adjacent house might have also been breaking in.  They had no way of knowing I even lived there, they assumed 

100% correct!  Mental abuse, intimidation, fear, I guess those aren’t considered abuse by some but they are.  Imagine being afraid just because of the color of your skin.  
    edited August 2022
    I’m not so sure. 

100% correct!  Mental abuse, intimidation, fear, I guess those aren’t considered abuse by some but they are.  Imagine being afraid just because of the color of your skin.  
    White privilege  is 100 percent real.

for all the perceived benefits the right wing likes to say minorities get, I wouldn’t change places for any amount of benefit.

if it’s so great not being white, why can’t I see anyone else willingly changing places either?  That kind of proves the point.  On one hand these people say it’s wonderful to be a minority and white people are the ones getting discriminated against based on affirmative action or whatever, on the other hand they are also relieved they aren’t one 

yet admitting their privilege doesn’t happen nearly enough, if ever, the farther to the right you get 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited August 2022
    I’m not so sure. 

So what are the cops supposed to do? They received a call for a suspicious person. They show up, ask for ID. And if you have it they move along. Its actually happened to me twice. Are cops not supposed to respond now when a neighbor think something is suspicious, because they don't want to hurt his feelings? If he showed his ID, this likely would have been over in less than 5 minutes like both times it happened to me. 
    I didn't see anything in that video that was abusive by the police. 
    Post edited by mace1229 on
    edited August 2022
    mace1229 said:
    I’m not so sure. 

So what are the cops supposed to do? They received a call for a suspicious person. They show up, ask for ID. And if you have it they move along. Its actually happened to me twice. Are cops not supposed to respond now when a neighbor think something is suspicious, because they don't want to hurt his feelings? If he showed his ID, this likely would have been over in less than 5 minutes like both times it happened to me. 
    I didn't see anything in that video that was abusive by the police. 
    It’s two problems 

1. The cops getting called at all
    2. benefit of the doubt.  That isn’t applied equally across races.  It’s the assumption the guy is doing something wrong.  If you think a black guy and a white guy gets the same treatment in the same situation consistently I’m not sure where you are living 

ive refused to show ID to a cop before too. Based on principle.  They knew they weren’t entitled to it based on the circumstances. They let it go. That doesn’t happen both ways consistently either.  I absolutely play hardball in any interaction I’ve ever had with the police (it’s not a lot) but I’ve been in the right so I do it. I’ve declined a search of my vehicle before too. Not that I had anything to hide and they knew they couldn’t get a warrant. I’m fully aware of why I got away with being difficult or uncooperative.  Probable cause sure seems harder to establish when you are white and allowing a fishing expedition just because they ask is not ok