Jan 6 Select Committee

Comments

• JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269
    JB16057 said:
    i, for one, am getting tired of the right making up false equivalencies in order to distract from the atrocities of their party membership and leadership. You want BLM protestors prosecuted? call your senator. this is about the INSURRECTION attempt on Jan 6. people need to be held accountable. no amount of whataboutisms will change that. 
    I agree with what you are saying. But to say there are no fair comparisons is a false statement.

disagree. read again what Tbergs posted. spot on. 400 years of oppression and rape and murder does not equate ONE IOTA to a bunch of butt hurt yokels egged on by a carnival barker trying to stop the certification of an election. 
    Do you believe the BLM riots were right when they burned down cities, looted and robbed? If BLM was only attacking the people doing the oppressing, I'd say it was fair game but that wasn't the case. They didn't care who they harmed just as the Capitol Rioters didn't care who they harmed.

At the most basic level, can't we all agree that both acts of violence were not the correct way to handle the issue?

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    i, for one, am getting tired of the right making up false equivalencies in order to distract from the atrocities of their party membership and leadership. You want BLM protestors prosecuted? call your senator. this is about the INSURRECTION attempt on Jan 6. people need to be held accountable. no amount of whataboutisms will change that. 
    I agree with what you are saying. But to say there are no fair comparisons is a false statement.

disagree. read again what Tbergs posted. spot on. 400 years of oppression and rape and murder does not equate ONE IOTA to a bunch of butt hurt yokels egged on by a carnival barker trying to stop the certification of an election. 
    Do you believe the BLM riots were right when they burned down cities, looted and robbed? If BLM was only attacking the people doing the oppressing, I'd say it was fair game but that wasn't the case. They didn't care who they harmed just as the Capitol Rioters didn't care who they harmed.

At the most basic level, can't we all agree that both acts of violence were not the correct way to handle the issue?

The difference is the presidents role in the violence.  It's that simple. 
    JB16057 said:
    Let’s not forget that BLM protesters were treated with a bit more force plus Kissinger put that notion to rest that not once did he feel like democracy was in jeopardy!
    I don't remember the FBI hunting down the BLM protesters asking neighbors to turn each other in......
    hunting down? that's called an investigation to find criminals. 

I also don't remember BLM protestors bringing a gallows to their protests with signs saying and chanting "hang mike pence". do you?
    BLM had plenty of signs and chants provoking violence.

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387
    JB16057 said:
    BLM shouldn’t be in this convo at all! 

The BLM riots are one of the reasons why the Capitol Riot happened. The right was outraged at how the BLM riots were allowed to take place and how the media treated the BLM riots by saying things such as, "Fiery but mostly peaceful protests".

BLM can easily be in this convo on a Pearl Jam message board but I'll agree that as for the "select committee" or even criminal trials that BLM has nothing to do with either. Two wrongs don't make a right.
    The right was also outraged when NFL players protested peacefully, so let’s not pretend it was the violence that upset them so much. 

mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:

There are plenty of politicians that helped promote and protect the violence behind the BLM riots. Why do you not call them out for their roles but you'll jump all over Trump? There were plenty of politicians that said things similar to "fight like hell". Is Trump attempting to bail the capitol riot criminals out? Kamala Harris promoted a fund to bail out the criminals behind BLM that went and committed more heinous crimes. If you're going to blame one, blame them all.

JB16057 said:

The BLM riots are one of the reasons why the Capitol Riot happened. The right was outraged at how the BLM riots were allowed to take place and how the media treated the BLM riots by saying things such as, "Fiery but mostly peaceful protests".

BLM can easily be in this convo on a Pearl Jam message board but I'll agree that as for the "select committee" or even criminal trials that BLM has nothing to do with either. Two wrongs don't make a right.
    The right was also outraged when NFL players protested peacefully, so let’s not pretend it was the violence that upset them so much. 

I agree that was and is stupid.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Did the govt send in unmarked vehicles and start grabbing people after 106 without announcing what they were doing?  

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    JB16057 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:

There are plenty of politicians that helped promote and protect the violence behind the BLM riots. Why do you not call them out for their roles but you'll jump all over Trump? There were plenty of politicians that said things similar to "fight like hell". Is Trump attempting to bail the capitol riot criminals out? Kamala Harris promoted a fund to bail out the criminals behind BLM that went and committed more heinous crimes. If you're going to blame one, blame them all.

Who? Give me the name and the quotes that encouraged violence.  Second,  I said of similar stature to the president.  So give me some quotes by Biden,  Harris,  Bernie,  a senator,  etc. Not some no name that no one's heard of. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:

Who? Give me the name and the quotes that encouraged violence.  Second,  I said of similar stature to the president.  So give me some quotes by Biden,  Harris,  Bernie,  a senator,  etc. Not some no name that no one's heard of. 
    I m almost positive Maxine waters did.  I think she is from Cali.  I ll have to look it up

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......

However, after George Floyd’s death, Joe Biden repeatedly condemned violent protests. In a May 31 post on his blog shortly after George Floyd’s death, he wrote, “Protesting such brutality is right and necessary. It’s an utterly American response. But burning down communities and needless destruction is not. Violence that endangers lives is not.” ( here , medium.com/@JoeBiden/we-are-a-nation-furious-at-injustice-9dcffd81978f ).

At a speech in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on June 2, he said, “There’s no place for violence, no place for looting or destroying property or burning churches or destroying businesses […] we need to distinguish between legitimate peaceful protest and opportunistic violent destruction” (here).

On July 28, Biden also condemned violent protests at a speech in Wilmington, Delaware, as seen www.c-span.org/video/?474269-1/joe-biden-remarks-wilmington-delaware-economy at the 8 minute 24 second mark.

mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:

I m almost positive Maxine waters did.  I think she is from Cali.  I ll have to look it up

First,  it's a stretch to compare Waters to Trump.  Second,  the "get more confrontational" comment is not on the same league as to the Big Lie and speeches on 1/6
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:

First,  it's a stretch to compare Waters to Trump.  Second,  the "get more confrontational" comment is not on the same league as to the Big Lie and speeches on 1/6
    100% agree.  I was just giving an example. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,421
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:

get into good trouble

john r lewis
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    edited July 2021
    We've been down this road many times before. Every few months someone tries to claim that BLM protests/riots are the same as the Big Orange Squeeze (aka stop the steal, the big lie, insurrection day, etc.). Vague claims and generalizations are made and those among us who give a shit spend our time rebutting these claims and providing clarifications to the whataboutisms. At this point, we've all had the chance to read, watch or do our own homework on what's true and what's fabricated. Yeah, some things still aren't clear, but honestly you're either obtuse or purposefully being naive if you keep referencing partial or misleading information. It's all out there. The Harris misquote, the Waters Soundbytes, all of it. If you are still choosing to view it the same as what Cruz, Hawley, Rudy or Donnie Diapers spewed then nothing I post or provide in response will change your mind. It's not worth it to even try. We don't view reality the same way.
    Post edited by tbergs on
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    JB16057 said:

no. not they are not false statements. they were two completely different things. in one instance the president, his attorney, his son, and a sitting congressman incited a mob to go to DC and stop the certification of a duly elected president. they planned to stop the process and kill the vice president and any democrat they can get their hands on.

in the other example people were fed up with agents of the state killing unarmed black men and getting away with it. these protests were across the country and only escalated when police beat and gassed protesters. trump ordered that protestors be gassed and tried to have some of them shot. he also hid in his bunker and had the protest put down so he can get a photo op holding an upside down bible.

there is no comparing the two. BLM protests were not about a coup. the maga mob was.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481
    JB16057 said:
    Maybe when one side starts dealing in facts there might be peace and reconciliation?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/03/03/convenient-new-fiction-there-was-no-attack-white-house-last-year/

Until then, “deplorable.”

Why do these threads keep getting locked? Because people like you can only resort to name calling.

I don't have a subscription to the Washington Post so I can't read the article you're referring to. There were Secret Service members that were attacked and injured when the protesters "tried" attacking the White House. The protesters did breach temporary security fencing at the White House. Do you think the protesters were there to shake Donald Trump's hand?
    It is intellectually dishonest to claim “the White House was attacked” and to try to equalize that claim with what happened at the capitol. It’s a lie and you should know better. Be honest about what happened.

Who did I call a name? “Deplorable” was and is an accurate description coined by Hillary Clinton to describe a certain percentage of POOTWH supporters. Do you disagree?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    edited July 2021
    JB16057 said:

Your first sentence is utter and absolute _______. I thought it was ANTIIIIIIIIIIIFA? So Antiiiiiiifa attacked the capitol out of sympathy to the right because BLM was allowed to protest/riot? Makes sense.
    Post edited by Kat on
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
    Someone on here has a brittle spirit.

Brilliantati©
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Someone on here has a brittle spirit.
    No doubt, they just keep throwing shot at the wall to see what will stick unreal..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:

No.  

https://youtu.be/llci8MVh8J4

"You can’t win. The game is fixed. So when they say, “Why do you burn down the community? Why do you burn down your own neighborhood?” It’s not ours. We don’t own anything. We don’t own anything. Trevor Noah said it so beautifully last night. There’s a social contract that we all have, that if you steal, or if I steal, then the person who is the authority comes in and they fix the situation. But the person who fixes the situation is killing us. So the social contract is broken. And if the social contract is broken, why the f*** do I give a shit about burning the f***ing Football Hall of Fame, about burning a f***ing Target?

You broke the contract when you killed us in the streets and didn’t give a f***. You broke the contract when for 400 years, we played your game and built your wealth. You broke the contract when we built our wealth again on our own by our bootstraps in Tulsa and you dropped bombs on us, when we built it in Rosewood and you came in and you slaughtered us. You broke the contract. So f*** your Target. F*** your Hall of Fame. Far as I’m concerned, they could burn this bitch to the ground, and it still wouldn’t be enough. And they are lucky that what black people are looking for is equality and not revenge."

Full transcript here: https://www.rev.com/blog/transcripts/kimberly-latrice-jones-blm-video-speech-transcript

WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387

Is there anything more American than blaming a minority group for the violent behavior of disgruntled white Americans? 

Tell me again, conservatives, how America isn't a racist country. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587

Is there anything more American than blaming a minority group for the violent behavior of disgruntled white Americans? 

Ha.  So true.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786

WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    America is so Karen.

AmeriKaren?
    Hobbes said:
    America is so Karen.

AmeriKaren?
    AmeriKKKaren

fixed.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    CM189191 said:

i love that sign. it is true though.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
     By John Wagner

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/january-6-committee-trump/2021/08/25/cd356794-059a-11ec-a654-900a78538242_story.html

House panel investigating Jan. 6 attack seeks records from agencies on insurrection, Trump in first request for information

Rep Bennie G Thompson D-Miss at a July news conference
    Rep. Bennie G. Thompson (D-Miss.) at a July news conference. (Stefani Reynolds/Bloomberg News)
    Today at 8:44 p.m. EDT

The House select committee investigating the Jan. 6 insurrection issued its first sweeping requests Wednesday for records from federal agencies pertaining to the attack on the Capitol and President Donald Trump’s efforts to subvert the election.

In letters demanding materials from the National Archives and seven other agencies, Rep. Bennie G. Thompson (D-Miss.), the committee chairman, signaled that an expansive investigation is underway, touching not only on what happened Jan. 6 but also on matters such as “the former President’s knowledge of the election results and what he communicated to the American people about the election.”

Thompson gave the agencies a two-week deadline to produce materials and asked Archivist of the United States David Ferriero to use his authority under federal regulations to swiftly address the request for records from the Trump White House.

Congressional Republicans have given multiple reasons for opposing investigations into the Jan. 6 Capitol attack in the months since. (JM Rieger/The Washington Post)

“Our Constitution provides for a peaceful transfer of power, and this investigation seeks to evaluate threats to that process, identify lessons learned and recommend laws, policies, procedures, rules, or regulations necessary to protect our republic in the future,” Thompson wrote.

The requests include information on “communications within and among the White House and Executive Branch agencies during the leadup to January 6th and on that day,” as well as on issues further removed, such as “attempts to place politically loyal personnel in senior positions across government after the election.”

Other agencies being asked to provide information are the Defense, Homeland Security, Interior and Justice departments, the FBI, the National Counterterrorism Center and the Office of the Director of National Intelligence.

Police officers who defended the Capitol on Jan. 6 testified before Congress on July 27 about their experiences. (Blair Guild/The Washington Post)

The violence on Jan. 6 was the most serious attack on the Capitol since the War of 1812, carried out by a mob of Trump supporters who echoed his false claims about the 2020 election while seeking to stop Congress’s efforts to certify its results and declare Joe Biden the president-elect.

Democrats and Republicans have clashed over how or whether the insurrection should be investigated, with Republicans opposing creation of the select committee headed by Thompson and an earlier proposal to create an independent commission modeled on the panel that investigate the 9/11 attacks.

GOP leaders have offered varying reasons for their opposition to a formal investigation, including that it should also investigate violence at racial-justice protests during the summer of 2020 and that Democrats’ only goal is to hurt the GOP politically ahead of the 2022 midterms by highlighting Trump’s role in the event.

In a statement Wednesday night, Trump said the committee requests were part of a “partisan exercise” and suggested he would try to block them by asserting executive privilege.

“The Leftist ‘select committee’ has further exposed itself as a partisan sham and waste of taxpayer dollars with a request that’s timed to distract Americans from historic and global catastrophes brought on by the failures of Joe Biden and the Democrats,” Trump said.

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) on Wednesday blasted the committee’s action, saying it underscored how its work is “more political” than a legitimate search for truth. McCarthy, who last month withdrew his appointees to the committee in protest, suggested it was chilling to look at records from lawmakers.

Among scores of other requests, the committee asked the archivist for records of communication within the White House with “any Member of Congress or congressional staff” on Jan. 6.

“They come for members of Congress, they are coming for everybody,” McCarthy said, adding that he had already talked publicly on three television networks about his discussions with Trump that day.

McCarthy and other Republicans who spoke with Trump or administration officials are potential witnesses for the committee’s inquiry. The minority leader has not said whether he will appear before the panel if asked.

Some of the requests by the select committee duplicate those of other House committees that have probed aspects of the insurrection. Other requests are new and seek more-granular information, and they heavily target former White House staffers and Trump loyalists.

The committee, for example, is asking the National Archives to turn over all White House documents provided to Trump and his then-chief of staff, Mark Meadows, that refer to “a stolen election, stealing the election, or a ‘rigged’ election.”

The committee is seeking records related to Trump’s comment on Sept. 29 that the Proud Boys, a far-right group with a history of violence, “stand back and stand by” ahead of an election he had repeatedly claimed could be rife with fraud.

And the committee is seeking all “documents and communications related to any plan for the President to march or walk to the Capitol on January 6, 2021,” following a rally near the White House.

The requests to other agencies seek a wide array of information about the events surrounding Jan. 6.

The committee, for example, asks the Department of Homeland Security for records on the Secret Service protection of Vice President Mike Pence and his family during the insurrection. Pence was at the Capitol during the attack as part of the process of certifying the election.

The committee seeks from the Justice Department records of communications with Trump’s campaign legal team dealing with the validity of the 2020 election. And it asks the FBI for records “pertaining to intelligence gathered prior to January 6th on events that might occur on that day.”

continues.....

Jan. 6 committee leaders blast McCarthy’s ‘baseless’ claim about Trump’s innocence

Today at 2:47 p.m. EDT

Leaders of the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol are calling out House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) for making “baseless” claims regarding former president Donald Trump’s involvement in that day’s violence.

In a joint statement Saturday, committee chairman Rep. Bennie G. Thompson (D-Miss.) and vice chair Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) criticized a Thursday interview by McCarthy, in which he said the FBI had concluded Trump had “no involvement” in the insurrection.

“Minority Leader McCarthy … has suggested, based on an anonymous report, that the Department of Justice has concluded that Donald Trump did not cause, incite, or provoke the violence on Jan. 6,” Thompson and Cheney stated Saturday, adding that when the report was first published, the select committee queried executive branch agencies and committees involved in that investigation.

“We’ve received answers and briefings from the relevant entities, and it’s been made clear to us that reports of such a conclusion are baseless,” they continued.

Thompson and Cheney also pointedly noted that McCarthy’s statements — including remarks he gave on the House floor on Jan. 13, a week after the insurrection — “are inconsistent with his recent comments.”

The violent Jan. 6 siege of the Capitol by a pro-Trump mob seeking to stop the certification of Joe Biden’s electoral win left five people dead, including a police officer.

On Jan. 13, McCarthy said in a House floor speech that Trump “bears responsibility” for the Capitol attack and even floated the idea of censuring Trump, though McCarthy did not support his impeachment.

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) and former president Donald Trump have expanded in recent months on what they said during their Jan. 6 call. (JM Rieger/The Washington Post)

About two weeks later, after Biden had been inaugurated, McCarthy flew to Florida to meet with Trump. There, they discussed helping Republicans take back the House in 2022, and McCarthy praised Trump’s popularity as having “never been stronger.”

Since then, McCarthy has steadily increased his defense of Trump’s response to the Jan. 6 violence and tried to retract some of his earlier statements about Trump’s culpability. The House GOP leader in May also changed course and supported ousting Cheney, a vocal Trump critic, from her position as Republican conference chair. Rep. Elise Stefanik (R-N.Y.), who has embraced Trump, replaced Cheney in the No. 3 job in GOP leadership soon afterward.

McCarthy has also intensified his attacks on House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), first opposing a bipartisan commission to investigate Jan. 6, then pulling all GOP nominees for a bipartisan committee after Pelosi blocked two of McCarthy’s picks.

continues....