Options

Stock market

Comments

• Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,498
    mickeyrat said:
    Can anyone explain the increase still in the DOW?  

With covid looming again and supply chains still catching up I am a little confused.  I follow Caterpillar as a barometer and it's been on a decline the last month and that usually tells a story unless they can't make sales because of supply issues?

parts for all kinds of vehicles are scarce.

my guess is many fleet vehicle orders (in our cases KW and International) were scrapped last year. So if those parts didnt get used there wasnt a need to produce more.

My assigned truck is down 3 weeks now, waiting on a left steer spindle, which would allow the steering kingpin to be replaced at the same time. It would then get aligned properly. Tie rod replaced last year. was burning through steer tires every two months cuz the left tow was in 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches. 400 each became yrailer tires in 2 months.... 6 or 8 times!!!!!
    A family friend has had a pick up truck sitting at a dealership service area in Florida for over two weeks waiting for a computer chip. They keep saying the part will be available "soon".
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,006
    mickeyrat said:

With covid looming again and supply chains still catching up I am a little confused.  I follow Caterpillar as a barometer and it's been on a decline the last month and that usually tells a story unless they can't make sales because of supply issues?

parts for all kinds of vehicles are scarce.

my guess is many fleet vehicle orders (in our cases KW and International) were scrapped last year. So if those parts didnt get used there wasnt a need to produce more.

My assigned truck is down 3 weeks now, waiting on a left steer spindle, which would allow the steering kingpin to be replaced at the same time. It would then get aligned properly. Tie rod replaced last year. was burning through steer tires every two months cuz the left tow was in 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches. 400 each became yrailer tires in 2 months.... 6 or 8 times!!!!!
    This is very interesting considering most trucks kept rolling.  I know you kept working all through covid as did other truck drivers I know.  Where things did stop though was in factories where close contact was happening.

I know demand is up for things but supplies are low.  Supply and demand rallying the market?

If I knew how and had the money I would open up a superchip plant in the middle of nowhere and create my own town.
  • Options
    gvn2fly1421gvn2fly1421 Posts: 935

I will take a shot with a non-expert opinion but someone who has followed the stock market for about 15 years.

1.  You mention covid looming, quite frankly, the stock market (and people) just don't give a damn anymore and haven't for a while.  
    2.  The US Government has pumped how much money into the economy over the past 16 months?
    3.  And probably the correct answer, the stock market is manipulated and not rational.  It is a waste of time to try to make sense of it, rather just be a part of the ride!

*Please do not take my opinion on covid and derail this thread.  The above is my opinion and mine alone, any covid talk can go in the virus/vaccine thread.  This is not directed at you tempo, I just know how these things go.  Y'all can disagree about my covid takes, but this is about the stock market in here.  We must be able to differentiate topics.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,629

I will take a shot with a non-expert opinion but someone who has followed the stock market for about 15 years.

1.  You mention covid looming, quite frankly, the stock market (and people) just don't give a damn anymore and haven't for a while.  
    2.  The US Government has pumped how much money into the economy over the past 16 months?
    3.  And probably the correct answer, the stock market is manipulated and not rational.  It is a waste of time to try to make sense of it, rather just be a part of the ride!

*Please do not take my opinion on covid and derail this thread.  The above is my opinion and mine alone, any covid talk can go in the virus/vaccine thread.  This is not directed at you tempo, I just know how these things go.  Y'all can disagree about my covid takes, but this is about the stock market in here.  We must be able to differentiate topics.
    I agree with #2, not necessarily the other two.  The GDP forecast is so healthy,  I think investors,  particularly institutional investors, are still on the train.  And they generally invest rationally. 
  • Options

mrussel1 said:

I agree with #2, not necessarily the other two.  The GDP forecast is so healthy,  I think investors,  particularly institutional investors, are still on the train.  And they generally invest rationally. 
    Interesting as other "experts" are predicting a down trend and we should all buy the dip that comes with it.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Crazy to think that in February of 2009 the DJIA was around 7,000.  In March of last year it was around 19,000.  It has almost doubled since then and has crossed 35,000.  Just insane.

Add to the list above, I think when March of last year hit, the markets saw a crazy rise of retail investors jump in.  Thank Davey Pageviews for some of that.  And Robinhood.  And currently meme stocks.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Crazy to think that in February of 2009 the DJIA was around 7,000.  In March of last year it was around 19,000.  It has almost doubled since then and has crossed 35,000.  Just insane.

Add to the list above, I think when March of last year hit, the markets saw a crazy rise of retail investors jump in.  Thank Davey Pageviews for some of that.  And Robinhood.  And currently meme stocks.
    Glad you mentioned RH.  With people going back to work they don't/won't have the ability to do their trading like when they were at home.  I fully expect down trends like what is happening in AMC right now and the possibility of another million share or so being introduced.

Increasing workforces with less money from before should soften the market, no?
  • Options
    I think those tools and retail investors have a material impact on individual stocks.  I don't think they are moving the market.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    I think those tools and retail investors have a material impact on individual stocks.  I don't think they are moving the market.  
    Really huh?  Have you seen the stock prices of AMC and GameStop?

I do believe it is possible for the little guy, a lot of them, to help move a market.  They proved it already.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

I do believe it is possible for the little guy, a lot of them, to help move a market.  They proved it already.
    Yeah those are individual,  targeted stocks,  not the market.  When Gamestop swung wildly,  did any of the major indices follow suit? 

Day traders do not have the financial muscle of institutional investors. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah those are individual,  targeted stocks,  not the market.  When Gamestop swung wildly,  did any of the major indices follow suit? 

Understood.  A hedge fund w billions behind them can influence the whole market.

I don't think that Robinhood and Etrade let you day trade though.  You need a higher level of income to be able to do that and most of them aren't in that paygrade.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,600
    "Irrational exuberance." 
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Understood.  A hedge fund w billions behind them can influence the whole market.

I don't think that Robinhood and Etrade let you day trade though.  You need a higher level of income to be able to do that and most of them aren't in that paygrade.
    Etrade allows day trading.  You can do naked,  spreads, etc. I thought RH let you do it,  but I don't use them.  I've had an etrade account forever.  I have never done it myself.  I'm a long,  blue chip, market leader type investor. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Etrade allows day trading.  You can do naked,  spreads, etc. I thought RH let you do it,  but I don't use them.  I've had an etrade account forever.  I have never done it myself.  I'm a long,  blue chip, market leader type investor. 
    My guy!  Or girl, not sure after all the names called I know what you actually are.

When it is brought up, I tell people I have the most boring stock portfolio ever.  But, it has provided great returns over the past 15 years. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

My guy!  Or girl, not sure after all the names called I know what you actually are.

When it is brought up, I tell people I have the most boring stock portfolio ever.  But, it has provided great returns over the past 15 years. 
    I don't have time to manage stocks.  I'm heavily into amazon, google, chase, disney, and a few others.  Indexes are focused on SPDR and some midcap stuff, but growth too. 

I got into google in probably 2006 or so.  Have never sold a share.  Although I do have to pay attention to the anti-trust legislation to be careful.  Under the three current major laws (Sherman's, etc.), there's no way it violates those laws.  Most of it is political posturing.  Same with Amazon.  If it looks like there will be real reform to the federal laws, I may have to divest a bit. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I don't have time to manage stocks.  I'm heavily into amazon, google, chase, disney, and a few others.  Indexes are focused on SPDR and some midcap stuff, but growth too. 

I got into google in probably 2006 or so.  Have never sold a share.  Although I do have to pay attention to the anti-trust legislation to be careful.  Under the three current major laws (Sherman's, etc.), there's no way it violates those laws.  Most of it is political posturing.  Same with Amazon.  If it looks like there will be real reform to the federal laws, I may have to divest a bit. 
    That's awesome!  And good for you!

Knowing my situation, was 2020 your best year financially?  Our accounts saw the highest returns we have ever seen in the 15 years we have been investing.  We bought a few blue chips around the dip, not at the bottom because who does that, but they are almost doubled where they were when we bought and moved some of my wife's retirement around.  That's all we did.  It helped that WMT and KR never saw the dip that most stocks saw and still haven't.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

That's awesome!  And good for you!

Knowing my situation, was 2020 your best year financially?  Our accounts saw the highest returns we have ever seen in the 15 years we have been investing.  We bought a few blue chips around the dip, not at the bottom because who does that, but they are almost doubled where they were when we bought and moved some of my wife's retirement around.  That's all we did.  It helped that WMT and KR never saw the dip that most stocks saw and still haven't.
    Best year overall?  No, 2019 was much better for me personally but that's because my company traded to a new PE so my shares vested.  But regarding stocks, it's hard to say.  I don't really look at it that way plus I bought a bunch of stocks after the market tanked.  But I'm pretty sure it was right at the top of good years.  Better than 2009. 
  • Options
    35k on the dow.

Oh and @gvn2fly1421, the Trump tax 'breaks' have done nothing but raise my taxes. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    35k on the dow.

Oh and @gvn2fly1421, the Trump tax 'breaks' have done nothing but raise my taxes. 
    Wolf Of Wall Street GIFs  Tenor

Gonna be totally honest, I have no clue about anything related to the tax breaks.  Totally ignorant on the subject.
  • Options
    I've wanted to buy TSLA for a while now and never have.  Any thoughts on it after earnings yesterday and seeing the price action today?

I realize this thread is titled "Stock Market" so if individual stock talk is not allowed, please disregard. 
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    ^ I have no value to add in the way of buying Tesla stock, but if we can't discuss individual stocks in the "stock market" thread, I don't know what we can discuss.  LOL 
  • Options
    I've wanted to buy TSLA for a while now and never have.  Any thoughts on it after earnings yesterday and seeing the price action today?

I realize this thread is titled "Stock Market" so if individual stock talk is not allowed, please disregard. 
    The risk with TSLA is that they have invested so much in crypto currency, their earnings and future is inextricably tied to that future.  Maybe I'm just old school, but I have not invested in cryptos and have no interest.  Their is nothing backing the currency, fundamentally, just faith.  
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    mrussel1 said:

The risk with TSLA is that they have invested so much in crypto currency, their earnings and future is inextricably tied to that future.  Maybe I'm just old school, but I have not invested in cryptos and have no interest.  Their is nothing backing the currency, fundamentally, just faith.  

I haven't either.  Not $1.  I have some buddies that give me shit for it.  Maybe I'll end up missing on this one, but I'm fine taking the "slow and steady wins the race" approach.
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    bbiggs said:
    ^ I have no value to add in the way of buying Tesla stock, but if we can't discuss individual stocks in the "stock market" thread, I don't know what we can discuss.  LOL 

Will somebody tell me individual stocks to buy......please?
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    Malroth said:
    bbiggs said:

Buy Blue Chip and diversify.
  • Options
    Malroth said:
    bbiggs said:

Buy Blue Chip and diversify.
    Agreed.  Pick the leaders in different segments. 
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,778
    The only lesson I learned from crypto is: sometimes don't worry about the fundamentals, and just know when to get in and ride the next tulip boom.

But, yes, agreed, cryptos are trash.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,761
    how about vinyl. is vinyl a good investment?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,150

mickeyrat said:
    how about vinyl. is vinyl a good investment?
    If you find personal value in collecting and/or listening to the music.

I'm not sure about the monetary value.  I'll always remember the sports card boom of the early 90s.. lol.  How many of us have card collection worth diddly squat :)
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,778
    Haha, apparently cards are worth money again! Definitely not the cards from the 90's, but still.