The Food Thread

Comments

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,472
    Mmm.  Not sure I've had that, but have tried so many things I can't be sure.  Certainly not something I've had a lot.
    Our sushi chef was amazing when we lived in CA and went every Friday night....he would buy at the fish market Friday AM with "what can I shock them with" in mind.  
    When I go to a good place one of the first things I check is on the engawa supply.  I want it lightly  chopped/salted & not torched.  That is something my dude got me used to eating every week.
    Another thing that I love which many sushi eaters thing is gross is ankimo.  Will eat that pretty much any way.
    For that matter, liver of fishes is something I tend to really enjoy.

Engawa being the chewy part of Hirame? Yeah not a fan of the monkfish liver although my son loves it. Same with squid guts, my kid loves it.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,817
    Gambs no love for oysters?  Dude they are amazing!  I love all shellfish/seafood.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    eddiec said:

Pulpo night.
    Two things. This looks amazing and your plating is always amazing. God damn man. That’s awesome 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,614
    Get_Right said:
    Mmm.  Not sure I've had that, but have tried so many things I can't be sure.  Certainly not something I've had a lot.
    Our sushi chef was amazing when we lived in CA and went every Friday night....he would buy at the fish market Friday AM with "what can I shock them with" in mind.  
    When I go to a good place one of the first things I check is on the engawa supply.  I want it lightly  chopped/salted & not torched.  That is something my dude got me used to eating every week.
    Another thing that I love which many sushi eaters thing is gross is ankimo.  Will eat that pretty much any way.
    For that matter, liver of fishes is something I tend to really enjoy.

Engawa being the chewy part of Hirame? Yeah not a fan of the monkfish liver although my son loves it. Same with squid guts, my kid loves it.
    Yep.
    Squid guts - had that before.  I liked it.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:
    Gambs no love for oysters?  Dude they are amazing!  I love all shellfish/seafood.
    Don't hate 'em...just don't get it.  Slightly fishy, a little salty...no desirable mouth-feel...what's amazing about that? 
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?

Used my newest kitchen gadget this morning to pickle up some red onions for the pantry 👍👍
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Don't hate 'em...just don't get it.  Slightly fishy, a little salty...no desirable mouth-feel...what's amazing about that? 
    I can't stand oily fish like bluefish and mackerel but some people swear by them.  I puke at the sight of mayo but my buddy dips his french fries in it.  To each their own!

Side note, mayo should be illegal.  ;)
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,812

Nothing fancy like you guys make - oven roasted corn on the cob and some shrimp with cocktail sauce. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,614
    Looks great!
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,928
    Not much better than summer sweet corn on the cob. 
    I don't think I've ever done corn in the oven.  You like it better that way?
    Love love love shrimp cocktail.  Corn in the oven? Hmmmm
    Grilled some corn on the cob tonight. Only other way I’ve cooked it is boiling it. 
    I like roasting corn in the oven better than boiling it. I take the raw cob and spread it with a little butter and seasoning. Then I wrap it in foil and put it in the oven at 425 for 40 minutes. It comes out great. The butter melts into it as it cooks. 
    edited July 2021
    Excellent
      Sorta how I grill when I do it that way.
    Yes. I got the idea from grilling. But since I don't have access to an outdoor grill I decided to use the oven. I am not a big fan of boiled corn. It gets too watery. The oven is a great substitute for the grill.

Cuban sandwich with extra pickles. This new Cuban place opened a few blocks from me a few months ago. They make a great Cuban sandwich. I don’t have them very often but felt like a treat. 
    Yes, please, that looks great!
    edited July 2021
    GlowGirl said:

Nothing fancy like you guys make - oven roasted corn on the cob and some shrimp with cocktail sauce. 
    Looks like some good cocktail sauce with plenty of horseradish 
    GlowGirl said:

Cuban sandwich with extra pickles. This new Cuban place opened a few blocks from me a few months ago. They make a great Cuban sandwich. I don’t have them very often but felt like a treat. 
    Cubans are one of my favorite sandwiches. Anything that’s loaded with pickles is an immediate yes in my book. Looks delicious. 
    Cubans rule 
    GlowGirl said:

Looks like some good cocktail sauce with plenty of horseradish 
    Thanks. I made it myself. I always use a lot of horseradish. It needed a bit of lemon, which I was out of. But I did add a bit of Worcestershire. It was good. 
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,741
    rgambs said:

Used my newest kitchen gadget this morning to pickle up some red onions for the pantry 👍👍
    Way to go!
    Pressure canner?  I don't have one of those. 
    Loujoe said:
    rgambs said:Loujoe said:
    rgambs said:

Way to go!

Loujoe said:
    rgambs said:

Way to go!

Way to go!
    Digital and automated to make it easy.  This was just a water bath can, but it does both and it worked very well.  Can't wait to try the pressure can when the butternut squash is ripe...might do some green beans up before that, depends on how many I get. I don't usually plant many, because we aren't that big on garden green beans, they are often quite tough.
    Now I have to make a Cuban for dinner lol
    Ended up doing two small pork shoulders....the Instacart shopper was a fool.
    Worked out fine, one with just salt and the other got full seasoning/rub so that everyone had some they liked.
    Pulled pork is so bomb.
    In the oven, not like y'all with the smokers....but 5-6 hours and an hour to set, tastes good

Wrapped at 190 and pulled at 200.  Might have been ok to leave longer, or perhaps leave for the hour in the turned off oven.
    Always messing with it...need to get a smoker and do this properly at some point.

Slow cooked pork shoulder is one of the most delicious foods EVER!
    Ended up doing two small pork shoulders....the Instacart shopper was a fool.
    Worked out fine, one with just salt and the other got full seasoning/rub so that everyone had some they liked.
    Pulled pork is so bomb.
    In the oven, not like y'all with the smokers....but 5-6 hours and an hour to set, tastes good

Wrapped at 190 and pulled at 200.  Might have been ok to leave longer, or perhaps leave for the hour in the turned off oven.
    Always messing with it...need to get a smoker and do this properly at some point.

Yum!! Pulled pork sandwiches are one of my faves, especially with coleslaw on it. Nicely done. Looks delicious. 
    Thanks.
    This morning....A Chadwick Breakfast... speedball cereal extravaganza.  9 cereals, mixed.

Cuban-ish sandwich and garden fry-up of cabbage, onions, and Cocozelle zucchini...swapped the pickles out for pickled garden onions in the sammich.