Ohana Encore Weekend

Comments

• curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    edited July 2021
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    Yahoo!!!  Despite having 9/26 tix I pulled the trigger and I don't regret it!  Will be seeing PJ in California SIX times in hopefully 6 months (Ohana x 3, SD, LA x 2). 

PJ shows #14-19 (not including Ed solo x 2 and TOTD).  Almost at the 20 PJ show mark!  Am I crazy???

They better freaking play Deep in one of those 6 California shows (to complete Ten for me).  

Thank you Pearl Jam!!!
    15-17 for me coming from California! Cant wait to visit this beautiful state. 

Nice, you'll have a blast!  Luckily for me I live in San Diego, so I don't even need a hotel.  

[Shh! Don't tell everyone that it's nicer here than in LA!]
    For people that live south of the Big Sur how far is far enough for a drive?

I'm not understanding your question. Are you wanting to plan road trips while in SoCal? Or are you wondering if you can drive in each day instead of getting a hotel room?

If you've never been to California before, I'd start by saying that it's *much* larger than you think it is. Staying in Big Sur and driving to Ohana each day is not do-able by the time you got to Big Sur from Dana Point, you would need to turn around and drive back for the next day.
    Sorry I was typing fast. We plan on doing road trips likely in the week between the festivals if I can get work off. Just wondering how close to San Fran I really need to go going north on the scenic route. Is there a usual turnaround place for most people? We have a hotel booked close to the venue thanks!

So I haven't made the drive up the coast in about 30 years. I would say that it really depends on how much you enjoy driving. A week is easily enough to get you to Portland and back, if you really enjoy driving. Along the coast, I've gone as far as Mendocino (again, years ago) -- beautiful drive.

If you're wanting to go to museums, etc., or if you're wanting to hike, then I'd plan a shorter drive.

LA sights I recall: The Getty and LACMA, if you like art; the La Brea Tar Pits if you like natural history.

A bit south of there: Huntington Library and Botanical Gardens

North of LA: lots of beach, LOL; Hearst Castle.

Further north: Monterey Aquarium, giant redwoods

San Diego: Zoo and Safari Park (these are separate venues, the Zoo is located in Balboa Park, which contains many other museums); a baseball team that's actually good this year (and the ballpark itself is awesome)

Hiking: pretty much everywhere

Wine: nice wineries exist outside of Napa/Sonoma; try Santa Barbara, or if you want to stay further south, Temecula in San Diego County seems to be a local wine destination. 
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    Yahoo!!!  Despite having 9/26 tix I pulled the trigger and I don't regret it!  Will be seeing PJ in California SIX times in hopefully 6 months (Ohana x 3, SD, LA x 2). 

PJ shows #14-19 (not including Ed solo x 2 and TOTD).  Almost at the 20 PJ show mark!  Am I crazy???

They better freaking play Deep in one of those 6 California shows (to complete Ten for me).  

Thank you Pearl Jam!!!
    15-17 for me coming from California! Cant wait to visit this beautiful state. 

Nice, you'll have a blast!  Luckily for me I live in San Diego, so I don't even need a hotel.  

[Shh! Don't tell everyone that it's nicer here than in LA!]
    For people that live south of the Big Sur how far is far enough for a drive?

I'm not understanding your question. Are you wanting to plan road trips while in SoCal? Or are you wondering if you can drive in each day instead of getting a hotel room?

If you've never been to California before, I'd start by saying that it's *much* larger than you think it is. Staying in Big Sur and driving to Ohana each day is not do-able by the time you got to Big Sur from Dana Point, you would need to turn around and drive back for the next day.
    Sorry I was typing fast. We plan on doing road trips likely in the week between the festivals if I can get work off. Just wondering how close to San Fran I really need to go going north on the scenic route. Is there a usual turnaround place for most people? We have a hotel booked close to the venue thanks!

So I haven't made the drive up the coast in about 30 years. I would say that it really depends on how much you enjoy driving. A week is easily enough to get you to Portland and back, if you really enjoy driving. Along the coast, I've gone as far as Mendocino (again, years ago) -- beautiful drive.

If you're wanting to go to museums, etc., or if you're wanting to hike, then I'd plan a shorter drive.

LA sights I recall: The Getty and LACMA, if you like art; the La Brea Tar Pits if you like natural history.

A bit south of there: Huntington Library and Botanical Gardens

North of LA: lots of beach, LOL; Hearst Castle.

Further north: Monterey Aquarium, giant redwoods

San Diego: Zoo and Safari Park (these are separate venues, the Zoo is located in Balboa Park, which contains many other museums); a baseball team that's actually good this year (and the ballpark itself is awesome)

Hiking: pretty much everywhere

Wine: nice wineries exist outside of Napa/Sonoma; try Santa Barbara, or if you want to stay further south, Temecula in San Diego County seems to be a local wine destination. 
    Nice post. I will look into a lot of these thanks!
  • thro84thro84 Posts: 10
    Hey all. Just booked VIP for Saturday. Wondering if Newport Beach area is too far away to stay? Can either rent a car or Uber. Don’t care either way. It seems the hotels in Dana and Laguna are either booked or crazy expensive. 
    Said I wasn't going to fly across country for a festival setting...and here we are.

Did VIP. Didnt have much time to look into this. I see they have bleachers for VIP, and based on the map, there is some room to get closer in the VIP sidstage? Anyone do this in past years? Good and bad?
    I've posted about this up-thread I think. The main benefit to VIP, for me, is having shaded, more comfortable places to rest my 50+ year-old bones during the day. If you want to be "on the rail" hoping to get a swig of Ed's wine, you need to be camped out in GA. The "rail" in VIP is off to the side and is not a front-row experience.

Edit to add that you are free to roam throughout the venue with VIP passes, but I imagine that holding a spot on the rail in GA requires putting in the time throughout the day just as it would elsewhere. There is no "VIP pit" per se.

Thanks! Thats actually ok. I have no desire to do all day wait for this BUT that off to side VIP viewing area, I know its a hard angle, will still allow a good view. Guess Ill see how it looks when I get there.

There are big viewing screens just like at arena shows. The VIP bleachers are angled but I've not found them to be at a neck-straining angle. And the VIP "rail" area is decently close, with solid views, but it is NOT "on the rail" meaning right up front. We watched Glen Hansard's set from there last time, before the venue got super crowded, and it was close enough for us. It definitely gets more crowded later in the day -- watched the RHCP from down there -- but from what I can remember it is not super crowded and insane like I would imagine it is right in front of the stage. 
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    thro84 said:
    Hey all. Just booked VIP for Saturday. Wondering if Newport Beach area is too far away to stay? Can either rent a car or Uber. Don’t care either way. It seems the hotels in Dana and Laguna are either booked or crazy expensive. 

It's not too far away, no. We're driving up from San Diego, and that's a longer drive. Figure half an hour or less, depending on traffic. Whether Uber or renting a car is more expensive right now is anyone's guess.
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    thro84 said:
    We are flying into San Diego and are staying in Carlsbad, about a half hour south of Dana Point. Rented a vehicle. We will figure out where the shuttle is and drive and park there.  I think Newport is about a half hour north of Dana Point. We stayed there for a week about 2 years ago. Nice spot. 
  • kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,888
    Why no presale email?? I literally live walking distance to the venue and didn't get a presale code. Guessing it's sold out by now.
    It came directly from Ten Club yesterday - still tickets left if you have a code.  All codes unique and single use.
    Wow, what a bummer. Why no email for a show right at my local surf spot I have no idea but that $20 membership is looking like a huge waste now. I guess I'll just listen from my house. 
    You also had to be an active member as of Sunday, July 18 . Not sure if the joined date on your profile is when you joined this forum or when you purchased your membership, but that may also explain why.
  • Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
    Between using CC points (that I have piled up the last year and a half), getting an AirBnB a few blocks away for $185/night, and VIP ticket at face value this whole trip won't even be that pricey.

Amped.
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • NoloadNoload Monticello, Georgia Posts: 1,630
    I'm looking at both John Wayne and LAX.  I know John Wayne would be the choice, but if I end up having to do LAX, is uber a valid option for that far away (Dana Point)?  Thanks
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
  • lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,928
    Noload said:
    I'm looking at both John Wayne and LAX.  I know John Wayne would be the choice, but if I end up having to do LAX, is uber a valid option for that far away (Dana Point)?  Thanks
    If your flying in from ATL, I booked two one way flights. It was cheapest for me to fly into Long Beach and fly out of LAX, just FYI.
    Noload said:
    If your flying in from ATL, I booked two one way flights. It was cheapest for me to fly into Long Beach and fly out of LAX, just FYI.
    Yes I would be. What airline? Thanks for info.
  • lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,928
    Noload said:
    Noload said:
    Southwest to Long Beach on Thursday, American from LAX on redeye Sunday night.
    Noload said:

That sounds like a heck of a long Uber ride; I think it might be cheaper to rent a car TBH. Also, San Diego is going to be closer/ more convenient to the venue than LAX, so don't rule that out.

Note to people about Uber/Lyft, if you haven't traveled recently: rides are much more expensive than they were pre-pandemic. Locally (San Diego), I've seen people complaining that it's costing them $80+ to get a ride home from the airport.
  • dcp3ydcp3y Louisville KY Posts: 776
    So eager for a PJ show, I couldn’t resist a two (shows) for one (weekend) so I got a regular weekend pass.  3600 miles round trip here I go.  Now to figure out the planes, trains, and automobiles to get there and back (plus hotel).  For those about to rock…
  • Noload said:
    I live right by the venue and have always found an uber driver dropping someone off and given them $70 cash to drive me home from LAX. Works every time. 
  • sfrdudersfrduder Posts: 263
    Whats the curfew at Ohana? i assume its early since its a state park?
  • thro84 said:
    Try airbnbs in San Clemente or one of the many two star hotels there. 
    sfrduder said:
    Whats the curfew at Ohana? i assume its early since its a state park?
    10pm
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    so plenty of time to grab a drink somewhere and let the crowds this out.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    For those that have been to Ohana, I imagine there is a major shortage of Uber or Lyft drivers immediately after the show.  Is that correct?  If so, do you know how long it typically takes to clear out to find one without paying surge pricing?
    All tickets are still available minus the Ultimate VIP pair. Looks like they got a shit ton of tickets!
    Noload said:
    Noload said:
    Southwest to Long Beach on Thursday, American from LAX on redeye Sunday night.
    Thanks.  If I do it, would have to be Friday arrival and Sunday departure.  Main concern for me is the to and from whichever airport.  Rental cars seem pricey but I've been hearing that was the case for a while now since pandemic.
  • sarahnistsarahnist Posts: 35
    bbiggs said:
    For those that have been to Ohana, I imagine there is a major shortage of Uber or Lyft drivers immediately after the show.  Is that correct?  If so, do you know how long it typically takes to clear out to find one without paying surge pricing?
    I've been to all of the Ohanas so far!  There is a surge of people looking for Ubers at the end but there are spots within walking distance to grab a drink or food to wait out the crowds.  A lot of people drive, take the shuttles, bike.  It's not a huge capacity event like Coachella.
  • sfrdudersfrduder Posts: 263
    anyone ever do the VIP + experience? What was that like?
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    sarahnist said:
    bbiggs said:
    I've been to all of the Ohanas so far!  There is a surge of people looking for Ubers at the end but there are spots within walking distance to grab a drink or food to wait out the crowds.  A lot of people drive, take the shuttles, bike.  It's not a huge capacity event like Coachella.
    Thanks for the info.

• jammergirljammergirl Posts: 594
    Got GA for Friday only. PJ, Lord Huron and Beck all in one day? I feel like I'm dreaming. this is so unexpected. Lets all think good thoughts for no wildfire smoke this year. There's a chance I might have to go solo so if anyone else is going on their own and wants to kick it hmu. 
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,395
    I'm going back to Cali, to Cali, to Cali...Awesome!  Can't wait.  Thanks PJ and ten club
    California knows how to party! California knows how to party!
  • sunvalleylawsunvalleylaw Posts: 110
    SHUTTLE?  I bought the shuttle tix, but don’t know where the shuttle is too.  Anyone know?  Figured it might make a difference in where I choose to stay.  And I see the hotel rooms are selling out fast.  Just figured I would need it, due to no easy transport.  

I have my two tix for 10/2.  Excited to also see Sleater-Kinney, and Brandi and Co.  The Bramily people are bummed they couldn’t get a pre-sale for this event.  Taking my kid who I also took to the Ten Club section in Missoula back in 2018!  He is excited too.
  • danlee1095danlee1095 Posts: 982
    Why no presale email?? I literally live walking distance to the venue and didn't get a presale code. Guessing it's sold out by now.
    It came directly from Ten Club yesterday - still tickets left if you have a code.  All codes unique and single use.
    Wow, what a bummer. Why no email for a show right at my local surf spot I have no idea but that $20 membership is looking like a huge waste now. I guess I'll just listen from my house. 
    Hi - I sent you a PM / hope this helps!
    9/8/98 (NJ), 9/10/98 (NY), 8/23/00 (NY), 8/24/00 (NY), 8/25/00 (NY), 4/30/03 (NY), 7/8/03 (NY), 7/9/03 (NY), 5/12/06 (NY), 6/1/06 (NJ), 6/3/06 (NJ), 8/5/07 (IL), 6/22/08 (DC), 6/24/08 (NY), 6/25/08 (NY), 7/1/08 (NY), 10/4/09 (TX ), 10/30/09 (PA), 5/20/10 (NY), 5/21/10 (NY), 9/3/11 (WI), 9/4/11 (WI), 7/19/13 (IL), 10/18/13 (NY), 10/19/13 (NY), 10/3/14 (MO), 9/23/15 (NY), 9/26/15 (NY), 5/1/16 (NY), 5/2/16 (NY), 8/5/16 (MA), 8/22/16 (IL), 4/7/17 (NY), 6/18/18 (UK), 8/20/18 (IL), 9/2/18 (MA), 9/4/18 (MA), 9/18/21 (NJ), 9/26/21 (CA), 10/1/21 (CA), 10/2/21 (CA), 9/10/22 (NY), 9/11/22 (NY), 9/14/22 (NJ), 9/16/22 (TN), 9/22/22 (CO), 8/31/23 (MN), 9/2/23 (MN), 9/5/23 (IL), 9/7/23 (IL)
  • kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,888
    SHUTTLE?  I bought the shuttle tix, but don’t know where the shuttle is too.  Anyone know?  Figured it might make a difference in where I choose to stay.  And I see the hotel rooms are selling out fast.  Just figured I would need it, due to no easy transport.  

I have my two tix for 10/2.  Excited to also see Sleater-Kinney, and Brandi and Co.  The Bramily people are bummed they couldn’t get a pre-sale for this event.  Taking my kid who I also took to the Ten Club section in Missoula back in 2018!  He is excited too.
    In past years of the festival, the shuttle has departed from the Outlets at San Clemente. The fact that they haven't posted that as the shuttle hub for this year makes me think they may or may not change it, as it's still TBD. But that's where it picked up and dropped off in the past.

https://www.ohanafest.com/information#shuttles