The Food Thread

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Sounds awesome
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Oh yeah, forgot I usually throw in a pinch of dill seed, too. 
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Y’all know how I do….

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Oh yeah!
    Getting to work

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    This looks like a guac mise en scene.
    edited July 2021
    ...Sans the avos.
    Forgot the drink!

Ceviche

Id say cheers to all that booze. My ability to eat olives and salt is 2nd to no one.
    ...also I see zero fish in anything above.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Forgot the drink!

Ceviche

Wow. Jalapeño stuffed olives? Looks delicious.  And are you making guac or ceviche? Looks like it could go either way. 
    Ceviche
    Krab is the ingredient
    Since I am the only one who eats this, big bonus that it lasts longer....and really, with all of the fucking heat I don't taste the difference.
    (Although if I have a crowd I put on some fish and shrimp). I was suspect too, before I tried it.  Super good just as it is.

Presto...

Whammo - more booze

And, yes to Jalapeno stuffed olive.  I'm now convinced this is the only way to go.
    Oh that's look good.
    edited July 2021
    Hot, hot, hot.
    Some of you spicelords would chow it down, no problem, but I make it at the edge of my comfort zone.
    That said, every batch of peppers is different

I'll find out tomorrow how this one is.  ;)

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    And, yes to Jalapeno stuffed olive.  I'm now convinced this is the only way to go.
    I enjoy a jalapeño stuffed or blue cheese stuffed equally. Can’t go wrong.

And nice work on the ceviche. Now I noticed you already said that before I asked lol. Looks great and one of my favorites to make. You throw it on a tostada? 
    Saltines, baby.  
    Any way you consume is good...
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832

Pulpo night.
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Winner. :bow:
  • lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,928
    eddiec said:

Pulpo night.
    Holy shit man
    Tako wonderfulness!
    Honest question...do you eat the suction cups or are they part of a skin/rind that you peel off before you eat the meat inside?  
    It's hard for me to imagine that not being chewy and tough...
    I love y'all and I love your contributions here, but you fancy folk push the limits with some of this haute cuisine lol 
    I feel like poor people eat "the snout" because they have nothing else, and fancy folk eat it because it's "exotic" and pretend that makes it "gourmet"...snails aren't for eating unless you are desperate lol. Oysters are good protein if you need it, but they aren't anything but slightly salty, slightly fishy lumps of gristle lol
    That ceviche looks absolutely bomber!  There's a ton of flavor there to unpack, and I like that.  I like food that's got so much to taste you can just let it sit in your mouth and diffuse for awhile...if you have the willpower not to wolf on it lol
    We have been eating blueberry topped cheesecake the last week because the bushes are bumper this year, and it has that quality...the savory and sweet, tart and rich all together...you can take a bite every 5 minutes and the flavor never mellows in all that time...but I usually end up scarfing in seconds because it's just too good and I am a hog-man.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    rgambs said:
    Honest question...do you eat the suction cups or are they part of a skin/rind that you peel off before you eat the meat inside?  
    It's hard for me to imagine that not being chewy and tough...
    I love y'all and I love your contributions here, but you fancy folk push the limits with some of this haute cuisine lol 
    I feel like poor people eat "the snout" because they have nothing else, and fancy folk eat it because it's "exotic" and pretend that makes it "gourmet"...snails aren't for eating unless you are desperate lol. Oysters are good protein if you need it, but they aren't anything but slightly salty, slightly fishy lumps of gristle lol
    Eat it all...
    Octopus was on the table for most of our family gatherings. Usually in a cold salad with calamari, shrimp, celery and a lemon and olive oil dressing. It's actually one of my favorite foods. Portugal, Greece, Italy and Spain each have their own way of cooking it, and they're all uniquely great. If cooked correctly it's super tender and not chewy at all.
    I toatally went overboard, but earlier in the day I found a pack of mixed variety tomatoes grown locally, so the colors were begging for it.
    Taking the poorest pieces and making them delicious is a staple of any good food culture. IMO at least. 
    Spaghetti carbonara developed as a dish using pig cheeks.
    That cheesecake sounds awesome

Octopus the Japanese way is chewy.  I love it....but I also love Natto.  (Fermented soy beans)
    My wife retches at the smell/sight of Natto but she loves Tako.  (Octopus....chewy, with cups and all)

When prepared differently, it is not chewy, at all.  I love it that way, as well.

I also eat live sweet shrimp, and then the fried shell.
    Do I so this because it is fancy?
    Do I do it because I'm a doucher?

I've never thought of that.  Perhaps I am a doucher with my food habits bit I've always appreciated the trying of any food and judgement being passed on the taste...

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,442
    That cheesecake sounds awesome

Octopus the Japanese way is chewy.  I love it....but I also love Natto.  (Fermented soy beans)
    My wife retches at the smell/sight of Natto but she loves Tako.  (Octopus....chewy, with cups and all)

When prepared differently, it is not chewy, at all.  I love it that way, as well.

I also eat live sweet shrimp, and then the fried shell.
    Do I so this because it is fancy?
    Do I do it because I'm a doucher?

I've never thought of that.  Perhaps I am a doucher with my food habits bit I've always appreciated the trying of any food and judgement being passed on the taste...

I retch when my wife and kids eat natto, dried squid, certain types of furikake. Octopus the Japanese way should NOT be chewy, but unfortunately, that is how it is served most places. Amaebi is a delicacy. And we always eat the fried heads.  Not douchey at all.  Have you ever had Shirauo? Probably my favorite bite ever from a sushi chef.
    edited July 2021
    Mmm.  Not sure I've had that, but have tried so many things I can't be sure.  Certainly not something I've had a lot.
    Our sushi chef was amazing when we lived in CA and went every Friday night....he would buy at the fish market Friday AM with "what can I shock them with" in mind.  
    When I go to a good place one of the first things I check is on the engawa supply.  I want it lightly  chopped/salted & not torched.  That is something my dude got me used to eating every week.
    Another thing that I love which many sushi eaters thing is gross is ankimo.  Will eat that pretty much any way.
    For that matter, liver of fishes is something I tend to really enjoy.

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    edited July 2021
    And....in the most basic of basic....a big pour  of raw honey, some butter, and a few pieces of fruit on top of Cream of Wheat is amazing to attack a hangover.
    Now eaten, I'm gonna go sit in the hot tub for a while and return to feeling like a human.  :lol:

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,697
    And....in the most basic of basic....a big pour  of raw honey, some butter, and a few pieces of fruit on top of Cream of Wheat is amazing to attack a hangover.
    Now eaten, I'm gonna go sit in the hot tub for a while and return to feeling like a human.  :lol:

When I was a kid I loved Cream of Wheat.  There was something about the texture that really liked way better than oatmeal. Of course back then I would slather it in milk and spoonfuls of sugar. Maybe I should buy it again and try it your way. Sans hot tub though 😐
    Hot tub was an amazing step....cut my hair, took a shower and then I had a strawberry / banana smoothie.
    I feel like a human being again.  Food is wonderful.

Pork butt sounds amazing today....might have to run out and get grab a shoulder.