Canada: genocide and attempted extermination of indigenous peoples….

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    PJNB said:
    tish said:
    Cultural genocide 
    Where is the proof that is still happening intentionally to cause a cultural genocide? I get emotions are high right now on this and I will admit I am really not aware of what is going on to be honest. That is why I am asking the question but to say cultural genocide is the reason they are putting kids in foster care homes that should have some proof should it not? How in 2021 would this happen? 

I have a friend that was an RCMP officer in Nunavut for 4 years. She had a case where she found a 1 year old boy that was abused and neglected by his mother so bad there were week old feces still in his room. She was there on her own so she decided to become a foster parent for the boy while she lived there. After her 4 year term was up she found a job closer to home in the maritimes.  She applied to adopt the boy and after some time with no one locally interested to adopt she was successful. This boy now lives in our province far away from his culture and home. Does this count? 

Part of the problem is that they are usually placed in non-indigenous households…

so I’m guessing this causes lost opportunities to partake in indigenous music, arts, crafts, language, hunting, fishing and on and on.

These families need proper support…many of these families are survivors of residential abuse.  They were just trying to survive…no one was teaching and raising them…just abusing them.  

Both the government and the church’s need to own up to this.

defacing statues and creating another paid holiday for an already over bloated public  service is not the answer…

my brother in law who is indigenous said “creating a holiday paid for civil servants was a slap to his face.” Especially when they are continually in court fighting for their treaty rights.

Give Peas A Chance…

New Brunswick's little-known school for assimilating Indigenous children

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/residential-schools-day-schools-1.6051442?cmp=rss

The early schools pushed a Protestant message on Indigenous children, who got little in the way of an education and were ultimately forced to work as unpaid labourers.

"We do think that there's no history of residential schools here, so we have not been forced to confront this part of our historical past," said Nicole O'Byrne, an associate professor at the University of New Brunswick's law faculty.

"It's hard to reconcile when you don't know the full scope or nature of the problem."

Give Peas A Chance…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJNB said:
    tish said:
    Cultural genocide 
    Where is the proof that is still happening intentionally to cause a cultural genocide? I get emotions are high right now on this and I will admit I am really not aware of what is going on to be honest. That is why I am asking the question but to say cultural genocide is the reason they are putting kids in foster care homes that should have some proof should it not? How in 2021 would this happen? 

I have a friend that was an RCMP officer in Nunavut for 4 years. She had a case where she found a 1 year old boy that was abused and neglected by his mother so bad there were week old feces still in his room. She was there on her own so she decided to become a foster parent for the boy while she lived there. After her 4 year term was up she found a job closer to home in the maritimes.  She applied to adopt the boy and after some time with no one locally interested to adopt she was successful. This boy now lives in our province far away from his culture and home. Does this count? 

I wouldn't say "cultural genocide" in policy, but definitely is an effect of what is going on. They are taken from their homes at the first sign of neglect and abuse instead of trying to work with the families and helping them through their struggles. the support just isn't there. and it should be. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Trudeau sure is distancing himself and the role his papa played in residential schools…it’s like he’s saying “I didn’t even know that genocidal murderer.”
    Give Peas A Chance…

Ottawa says it's not liable for cultural damage caused by Kamloops residential school: court documents

Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    Trudeau sure is distancing himself and the role his papa played in residential schools…it’s like he’s saying “I didn’t even know that genocidal murderer.”

Seems like a better move would have been to admit that what happened in the past was wrong and give some solid evidence that he wants to move forward with admitting those past atrocities happened and do something about making reparations.  It would be a more honest move as well.  They can't bury this shit forever, especially with so much of the truth coming out.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,439
    edited June 2021
    Post edited by Spunkie on
    brianlux said:

Seems like a better move would have been to admit that what happened in the past was wrong and give some solid evidence that he wants to move forward with admitting those past atrocities happened and do something about making reparations.  It would be a more honest move as well.  They can't bury this shit forever, especially with so much of the truth coming out.
    I couldn’t agree more.  A good first start would be to get clean drinking water to all 1st nation reserves.

I’m not trying to get off topic…but on Sunday in a city 2 hours hours from me a Muslim family was intentionally run over…4 members of the family died and the only survivor was a 9 year…the killer a 20 year…

and want pisses me off beside the senseless killing is the media and people reactions…I’m tired of the media and people acting surprised that this is going on in Canada.  Shit, this has been going on for 200 years…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    brianlux said:

I couldn’t agree more.  A good first start would be to get clean drinking water to all 1st nation reserves.

I’m not trying to get off topic…but on Sunday in a city 2 hours hours from me a Muslim family was intentionally run over…4 members of the family died and the only survivor was a 9 year…the killer a 20 year…

and want pisses me off beside the senseless killing is the media and people reactions…I’m tired of the media and people acting surprised that this is going on in Canada.  Shit, this has been going on for 200 years…

To be honest, I have not heard anything about anti-Muslim incidents in Canada, but no, I'm not surprised.  Hatred and misunderstanding toward Muslims is wide-spread in all western countries.

One of the things that became clear to me by reading Dave Egger's Zeitoun is that Christianity and Muslim religions are more alike than they are different.  People that hate Muslims may as well hate and run over and kill Christians as well.  Or, better yet, of course, stop being idiots.  But the thing is, some people seem to have a sociopathic inclination to hate certain groups of people, be it indigenous peoples or people of different color or faith.  It's one of- if not the- worst of human traits. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/price-shingoose-share-instant-connection/c-325233296?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=carte&utm_campaign=CHCcontent&utm_content=EN-0608-PriceShingoose

Price, Shingoose share instant connection

Goaltender Carey Price recently met with a residential school survivor in Winnipeg

Give Peas A Chance…
    https://nationalpost.com/opinion/kelly-mcparland-turning-a-blind-eye-to-pierre-trudeaus-unseemly-indigenous-assimilation-plan

Kelly McParland: Turning a blind eye to Pierre Trudeau's unseemly Indigenous assimilation plan

Give Peas A Chance…
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/six-nations-residential-school-funding-request-1.6063156

Six Nations wants $10M to search residential school grounds, a third of Ottawa's allocated funds

Imagine that…only 30 million to help locate unmarked graves of children.  Our prime minister is a sick puppy…hey he’s a liberal…so he’s allowed to be a racist dick.

Give Peas A Chance…
    https://vancouversun.com/news/two-sides-of-the-same-coin-ex-foster-kids-identify-with-residential-school-survivors

Two sides of the same coin: Ex-foster kids identify with residential school survivors

They should start taking white kids from their parents…see how how they like it…

Give Peas A Chance…
    good lord what a stupid "solution". 

federal employees and those regulated by the federal government get a new stat holiday for Truth and Reconciliation. Oh gee, thanks for the day off that is costing $400 million annually when many Indigenous people don't have clean drinking water. 

https://www.blogto.com/city/2021/06/canada-new-holiday-residential-schools/
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

federal employees and those regulated by the federal government get a new stat holiday for Truth and Reconciliation. Oh gee, thanks for the day off that is costing $400 million annually when many Indigenous people don't have clean drinking water. 

Bad idea I agree, though I’m certainly open to hearing from indigenous people whether a day to memorialize is part of what should be done. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

Bad idea I agree, though I’m certainly open to hearing from indigenous people whether a day to memorialize is part of what should be done. 
    absolutely. But I highly doubt Indigenous leaders recommended a day off for federal employees. how about a day mandated to seminars and meetings, etc, related to Indigenous learning?

call my cynical, but any time something passes the senate unanimously you can bet it's to benefit those voting....
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

absolutely. But I highly doubt Indigenous leaders recommended a day off for federal employees. how about a day mandated to seminars and meetings, etc, related to Indigenous learning?

call my cynical, but any time something passes the senate unanimously you can bet it's to benefit those voting....
    A day of learning would be a far better use of the time. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/six-nations-residential-school-funding-request-1.6063156

Six Nations wants $10M to search residential school grounds, a third of Ottawa's allocated funds

Imagine that…only 30 million to help locate unmarked graves of children.  Our prime minister is a sick puppy…hey he’s a liberal…so he’s allowed to be a racist dick.

Mr. Meltdown;

I had an epiphany the other day while at the gas station.  But I should add a bit on context first:

I don't like Trudeau.  I voted for him in 2015 for one reason and one reason only...  the Conservatives were publishing blatant lies and misleading information about him in attack ads.  I took that personally.  As in....  are you so sneakily trying to pull the wool over my eyes? 

Since then, JT has done very, very little to make me feel good about that vote. 

But.. as much as I don't like Trudeau.. I feel the same way about all politicians in Canada...... and the US which is extremely sad. i'm not a party affiliated fellow...  I would follow a leader who showed they could lead. I would follow a party that showed it could be a driver of good change and progress in our country. 

Back to my epiphany. 

While I despise all politicians, I still hold dear my right to vote.  So if all the politicians suck, how does one vote?  Well.. in the past I voted because Conservatives were pissing me off... and now my vote is going to be once again a personal vote.  

I saw this guy at the gas station and he has "FUCK TRUDEAU" plastered on his car and then he legit got out and was wearing a "FUCK TRUDEAU" T-Shirt. 

Graffiti all over the 401 for the last year:  "FUCK TRUDEAU"   "COMMUNIST TRUDEAU".  Guy at the end of my street: "FUCK TRUDEAU" on his car. 

So... I'm going to vote for Trudeau again.  Not because I like him or his policies... but because of all of the ignorant and rude people who are so vulgar and disrespectful against him.  It's kind of like: "OK, yeah he sucks... but whatever you're all about, I don't want." 

There's something else too and this rings very true especially when I see O'Toole speak or post on social media......  Of all the things Trudeau has done and the shitty decisions he has made.... do I HONESTLY think O'Toole for example would have done much better? Or better yet, would he have done any different? Maybe, maybe not. But my personal inclination is to believe that no other leader would have done better. But when I look at the behaviour and mind-set of people who hate on him, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. 

So to the guy at the gas station who feels the need to broadcast vulgar language in public... you have one vote. And it won't be for Trudeau.  Mine will. Thank you, rude person at the gas station. :) 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
    It's a good thing that more publicity is being given to this awful moment in our history. As with all bad things in recent history, I think context and information is so important and me personally.. I still feel like an idiot when talking about Residential Schools because I have a lot to learn.  But compared to just about everyone I know in my life.. I seem to know more about it than them.  And that's a problem. 

So who is to blame? Well... the government for sure. The church for sure. The police for sure.  And I think the people as well. Us. 

Do I think we need to remove statues and monuments and building/bridge names?  Yes.  This goes for MacDonald, Ryerson, Langevin... anyone and everyone who had a say in the residential schools... they cannot be celebrated or glorified.  Get them off our money. Get them off our buildings. They mean little to me personally.  They 'founded' our country.  But it seems to have been founded, in part on white supremacy and ethnic cleansing.  May not have been so controversial in the 1870s, but it is now.  You better believe it is now.  

I hear so often "You can't erase history" when they argue against this and it's just the dumbest argument I can think of.  Changing these things does not in any way change history. It just doesn't.  Put the statues in a museum and put the names in a book. That's my take. 

What do we do now?  Now THIS is an interesting question and it's where I find myself so often not blaming the likes of Trudeau or the government... but us as a whole. 

As a community and as a country, what do we value?  We want to believe we value life and liberty.  And we want to believe and tell ourselves that we care about others just as much as we care about ourselves.  But how true is that, really? 

So we want to 'show' that we are all offended by the horrific history of the residential schools and treatment of our indigenous people.  So what if they had a list of reasonable demands and requests to the government to 'show' that we can put our money where our mouths are. 

We are a social democracy. 

I live in a small community... rural but a township.  I have a bunch of neighbours... maybe 50 houses on my street... 100 on my block type thing. 98& white, middle to lower class.  If I went door to door and asked them how they felt about social justice, reconciliation, climate change, clean drinking water.... they would all agree in full that these are important issues that need to be looked after. We're all 'good Canadians.'   And if I was to then ask them to provide $500 a month to make that change possible, not one would.  And I wouldn't either.  And not one political party would be willing to foot the bill either. Not one. Are they representing their constituents?  Well.. yeah. If they spend that much money to help with indigenous people, it would raise our deficit, raise our taxes, hurt our economy. And that's what we care about. That's why every political debate centres on those things. Same goes with climate change... which is ironically something indigenous people have be warning us about for decades. 

If any monetary relief cannot be given... then what else is there?  Recognition.  Sincere apologies.  Efforts to show remorse. Education. I hope these things happen and continue to happen. We want more, but it's just not feasible. That's a sad truth. 

I refuse to believe that this part of our history defines us because I believe that so many Canadians are good natured and good spirited.  We can and must reconcile this and learn from it. 

We live in a world where this story will fade away within a month... and then few people will care. That must stop here. It cannot be forgotten. This will take some time. But hopefully we move in the right direction, even if it's slow.  
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    Parksy said:

Mr. Meltdown;

I had an epiphany the other day while at the gas station.  But I should add a bit on context first:

I don't like Trudeau.  I voted for him in 2015 for one reason and one reason only...  the Conservatives were publishing blatant lies and misleading information about him in attack ads.  I took that personally.  As in....  are you so sneakily trying to pull the wool over my eyes? 

Since then, JT has done very, very little to make me feel good about that vote. 

But.. as much as I don't like Trudeau.. I feel the same way about all politicians in Canada...... and the US which is extremely sad. i'm not a party affiliated fellow...  I would follow a leader who showed they could lead. I would follow a party that showed it could be a driver of good change and progress in our country. 

Back to my epiphany. 

While I despise all politicians, I still hold dear my right to vote.  So if all the politicians suck, how does one vote?  Well.. in the past I voted because Conservatives were pissing me off... and now my vote is going to be once again a personal vote.  

I saw this guy at the gas station and he has "FUCK TRUDEAU" plastered on his car and then he legit got out and was wearing a "FUCK TRUDEAU" T-Shirt. 

Graffiti all over the 401 for the last year:  "FUCK TRUDEAU"   "COMMUNIST TRUDEAU".  Guy at the end of my street: "FUCK TRUDEAU" on his car. 

So... I'm going to vote for Trudeau again.  Not because I like him or his policies... but because of all of the ignorant and rude people who are so vulgar and disrespectful against him.  It's kind of like: "OK, yeah he sucks... but whatever you're all about, I don't want." 

There's something else too and this rings very true especially when I see O'Toole speak or post on social media......  Of all the things Trudeau has done and the shitty decisions he has made.... do I HONESTLY think O'Toole for example would have done much better? Or better yet, would he have done any different? Maybe, maybe not. But my personal inclination is to believe that no other leader would have done better. But when I look at the behaviour and mind-set of people who hate on him, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. 

So to the guy at the gas station who feels the need to broadcast vulgar language in public... you have one vote. And it won't be for Trudeau.  Mine will. Thank you, rude person at the gas station. :) 
    very well said. I share these same sentiments, that, while Trudeau has been disappointing in many aspects of his tenure, I believe the other options to be much, much worse. 

and, as you pointed out, those that affiliate themselves with them. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• erebuserebus Posts: 549
    edited June 2021
    I third this sentiment lol

I also loathe when politicians have no platform other than “the other guy did this or that”
    I want to hear your ideas, not how bad the other guys are.
    negative attack ads turn me off,and like above, generally turn me towards the one being attacked 
    Post edited by erebus on
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
    erebus said:
    I third this sentiment lol

I also loathe when politicians have no platform other than “the other guy did this or that”
    I want to hear your ideas, not how bad the other guys are.
    negative attack ads turn me off,and like above, generally turn me towards the one being attacked 
    this is all the NDP are doing both federally and provincially (in my province, anyway). I haven't heard one single thing from Wab Kinew about what his policies are. All he's done is politicize this virus to gain points, and it disgusts me. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Indigenous peoples should be given the right to self govern on their land.  Indigenous peoples should be trained as social workers to deal with family problems…only indigenous peoples can truly understand the depths of the problems that families on reserves face. 

Indigenous peoples should be given crown land back…80% of Ontario is Crown land (so I read)…seems like we got plenty of land we can return to them so they have more land to pursue their love of hunting and fishing…

indigenous peoples should have complete control over their lands…they should not have to ask settlers permission for ANYTHING.  The one thing settlers to this country have demonstrated is that they are not to be trusted…

Give Peas A Chance…
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I just gave my farewell speech in Parliament. <br><br>I didn&#39;t hold back.<br><br>You can watch the whole thing here:<a href="https://t.co/lvBdLAa1Db">https://t.co/lvBdLAa1Db</a></p>&mdash; Mumilaaq Qaqqaq (@MumilaaqQaqqaq) <a href="">June 16, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    Give Peas A Chance…
    She’s an mp and get racial profiled on parliament…
    Give Peas A Chance…
    wow. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,439
    edited June 2021
    Bill C-15 cleared senate yesterday and will have royal assent before a possible election affirming UNDRIP, United Nations Declaration of Rights of Indigenous People, in legislation.

https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/declaration/about-apropos.html
    Post edited by Spunkie on
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I just gave my farewell speech in Parliament. <br><br>I didn&#39;t hold back.<br><br>You can watch the whole thing here:<a href="https://t.co/lvBdLAa1Db">https://t.co/lvBdLAa1Db</a></p>&mdash; Mumilaaq Qaqqaq (@MumilaaqQaqqaq) <a href="">June 16, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    She speaks a lot of truth and it applies to a lot of social issues in Canada and the U.S.   

I think a big part of what she is saying is people need a lot more help and when governments provide even 5% of what is needed, they feel they've accomplished something that's worthy of a lavish party and huge praise and political talking points.  No real, actual change. 

I revert back to what I said before though... The government represents. Majority of people in Canada would not themselves be willing to provide assistance but even more importantly would likely not vote for a political agenda that would help those in need by taking away from them personally.  It's a broken system.  I'm not sure I have any easy solution but a good place to start would be looking at politics in general and the super rich. In a nutshell... money has all by the balls. (no pun intended)  Could you imagine a system whereby just as one option... politicians were actually punished for lying?  Parties were crippled for engaging in disinformation?  

If a cop plants evidence to basically cheat his/her way to an arrest warrant/arrest/prosecution... even if the cop is correct about their assumptions... that's a hard no.  The cop would be severely punished (unless covered up good enough) and the case against the perp would be dismissed. 

Politicians lie and cheat almost daily.. and often right out in the open... but are not punished in any way. If they can successfully dupe people, they're rewarded... especially the Orange Man. You cheat in school, you're punished.  Cheat in sports, your punished.  Cheat in politics... you're rewarded. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016