Joseph Arthur, Peter Buck, Rich Robinson, Barrett Martin new band

goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
Joseph Arthur, Peter Buck, Rich Robinson and Barrett Martin have recorded an album together  :o

Not many details yet, but Joe and Barrett have both posted about it over the weekend:

Can’t wait to hear this!
“Do not postpone happiness”
(Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
(Tim Rogers)

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Saw that yesterday. Can’t wait to hear this. Who’s playing bass?
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    mfc2006 said:
    I’m pretty sure Joe played bass on the Arthur Buck record they put out a couple of years ago

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    mfc2006 said:
    I’m pretty sure Joe played bass on the Arthur Buck record they put out a couple of years ago
    That’s right! Sweet
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    New music from Peter Buck? Sign me up.
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Awesome news! :plus_one:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Very cool. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    Yesss! :sunglasses:
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    what a very interesting combination of musicians. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    WOW! :tired_face:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    The latest episode of Joseph’s podcast is out now, with Barrett as the guest. It’s a long one, over 2.5 hours, but it’s a good listen.

They start off by talking a little about their new band. Rich and Barrett had played a show with Jimmy Page, and later on Rich called Barrett to suggest getting a band together. They ended up in Nashville with Peter in 2019 and Barrett started recording the beginnings of some tunes in a hotel room for about 3 days. Joe was the last “piece of the puzzle”, adding the lyrics in the last year.

Joe: “it sounds like a cross between Zeppelin and REM”

Barrett: “What I hear is the best elements of the best of the classic era of rock and great songwriting. There’s stuff that sounds like Zeppelin, there’s stuff that sounds like Bowie, stuff that sounds like the best of the REM stuff, and some stuff I can’t even categorise”

Barrett said they’re not going to announce the name yet. It was going to be called Mother Karma, but they decided against it.

(Tim Rogers)
    good, cuz that name sucks. lol
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

LOL
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,609
    Yessss @1ThoughtKnown What's up? Sure there will be some unique sounds from this group. What do I know anyway...I'm questioning everything. A second midlife crisis I guess. All I know is primus stinks! Isn't that how it goes!!!??? Are the kids still sayin that!? 
    Ha ha! When Joe said Mother Karma was rejected the first thing I thought was ‘thank fuck for that!’

(Tim Rogers)
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    goldrush said:
    The latest episode of Joseph’s podcast is out now, with Barrett as the guest. It’s a long one, over 2.5 hours, but it’s a good listen.

They start off by talking a little about their new band. Rich and Barrett had played a show with Jimmy Page, and later on Rich called Barrett to suggest getting a band together. They ended up in Nashville with Peter in 2019 and Barrett started recording the beginnings of some tunes in a hotel room for about 3 days. Joe was the last “piece of the puzzle”, adding the lyrics in the last year.

Joe: “it sounds like a cross between Zeppelin and REM”

Barrett: “What I hear is the best elements of the best of the classic era of rock and great songwriting. There’s stuff that sounds like Zeppelin, there’s stuff that sounds like Bowie, stuff that sounds like the best of the REM stuff, and some stuff I can’t even categorise”

Barrett said they’re not going to announce the name yet. It was going to be called Mother Karma, but they decided against it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJl6R9kPzI8

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    goldrush said:
    Ha ha! When Joe said Mother Karma was rejected the first thing I thought was ‘thank fuck for that!’
    there's a canadian "supergroup" called Crash Karma, and I feel the same about that name. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Well it looks like this has gone to shit… 

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2021-08-10/joseph-arthur-vaccine-anti-vaxxer-covid

“Being the relentless voice of what he considers a disaffected minority has cost him. This year his longtime music manager dropped him as a client, followed by his booking agent. Arthur’s newly formed band quit en masse and he says he lost a record deal that would have distributed a new double album to his fans.”

(Tim Rogers)
    I wonder what this might mean for future RNDM?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    goldrush said:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2021-08-10/joseph-arthur-vaccine-anti-vaxxer-covid

“Being the relentless voice of what he considers a disaffected minority has cost him. This year his longtime music manager dropped him as a client, followed by his booking agent. Arthur’s newly formed band quit en masse and he says he lost a record deal that would have distributed a new double album to his fans.”
    Hope it was worth it Joseph lol.

I don’t agree with his position but will defend his right to say it. I’ll also defend the rights of his representation and band mates to drop him like a stone. What is a right for one is a right for all.

This folks, is called natural consequences. 
    Jeff is live on Instagram right now and just said “RNDM? I don’t know if we’ll make any more music. How’s that?” then he laughed. 

(Tim Rogers)
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    goldrush said:
    Jeff is live on Instagram right now and just said “RNDM? I don’t know if we’ll make any more music. How’s that?” then he laughed. 
    This is not at all surprising. 
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,609
    Sad. Really dig ja live. He is very talented. All things must pass...maybe come back around. Whatever.
    Shit! :angry:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited August 2021
    goldrush said:

Well I suppose I saw this coming, as a superfan of his who had to stop following him (didn't stop listening to his music made before this) because of his anti-vax obsession. I can't believe he let it come to this. I'm so disappointed in him, and pretty pissed off that he went that way.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    yeah, disappointed, but fuck his dumb add.

he and ted nugent can talk about it in hell.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    “ass”…dumb ass.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • apirk72apirk72 Posts: 493
    I guess this is probably why JA hasn’t put out a podcast in a few months, too bad he always had great guests.  Not surprised based on a lot of things he talks about that he would take the stance he has taken, seems like the kind of guy who would see a video on YouTube and totally have it shape his opinion.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Wow, and with a baby too. That’s disappointing that such a illuminating soul would be that stupid. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    I am so very VERY disappointed. Such a talented guy, nice guy too, just spoke to him in 2019 at an event and we don't know each other but we had such a real convo (about recent hard times we'd each had).

But I'm just as clear about never supporting an anti-Covid-vaxxer with my attention or dollars as he seems to be about whatever he's going on about, so that is that.  Bummer, cuz this new project with Buck, Martin and all sounded great.  What a crappy way to go out JA....