Options

Sea. Hear. Now Festival 2020 Update

Comments

• Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,614
    this will be the last Dr. Dog tour as well.  More reason to go!
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    danlee1095danlee1095 Posts: 1,041
    edited June 2021
    mcgruff10 said:
    Neptune and ap border each other so that whole area is pretty rough.  Just stay east of the railroad tracks in ap and you will be fine. Just to the north of ap is million dollar homes in allenhurst and deal.  To the south is three awesome beach towns: Bradley beach, ocean grove (og to locals) and Avon.  Cross the bridge and it becomes fist pump territory in belmar with bars like d jais and bar a.  

Tons of great restaurants and breweries in the area.   Ask a question and one of us locals will answer.  I grew up about five minutes from ap in a town called Neptune city, different than Neptune ;)
    anybody staying in tinton falls (my ex lives there) is about twenty minutes from the venue.  Mass transportation is non existent in that area from what I know so you ll have to Uber or rent a car. 

This is very helpful and appreciate the offer of advice @mcgruff10.  Thoughts on Atlantic Inn & Suites in Belmar (technically 1916 NJ-35, Wall Township)? It looks fine but want to make sure we will be safe, etc. Driving from Long Island so will have my car too.  I also have a super sweet house booked (sleeps 7) for 3 nights right at festival grounds but likely to cancel because it is SO expensive and now I'm only staying the one night (unless PJ does a surprise gig at Stone Pony or elsewhere AND I can get a ticket...).  I feel like something like that will go down but none of us will get access...  One can dream!  Either way so damn excited.
    Post edited by danlee1095 on
    9/8/98 (NJ), 9/10/98 (NY), 8/23/00 (NY), 8/24/00 (NY), 8/25/00 (NY), 4/30/03 (NY), 7/8/03 (NY), 7/9/03 (NY), 5/12/06 (NY), 6/1/06 (NJ), 6/3/06 (NJ), 8/5/07 (IL), 6/22/08 (DC), 6/24/08 (NY), 6/25/08 (NY), 7/1/08 (NY), 10/4/09 (TX ), 10/30/09 (PA), 5/20/10 (NY), 5/21/10 (NY), 9/3/11 (WI), 9/4/11 (WI), 7/19/13 (IL), 10/18/13 (NY), 10/19/13 (NY), 10/3/14 (MO), 9/23/15 (NY), 9/26/15 (NY), 5/1/16 (NY), 5/2/16 (NY), 8/5/16 (MA), 8/22/16 (IL), 4/7/17 (NY), 6/18/18 (UK), 8/20/18 (IL), 9/2/18 (MA), 9/4/18 (MA), 9/18/21 (NJ), 9/26/21 (CA), 10/1/21 (CA), 10/2/21 (CA), 9/10/22 (NY), 9/11/22 (NY), 9/14/22 (NJ), 9/16/22 (TN), 9/22/22 (CO), 8/31/23 (MN), 9/2/23 (MN), 9/5/23 (IL), 9/7/23 (IL), 5/16/24 (NV)
  • Options
    Another theory re Bruce.  I could see him actually not making an appearance on Saturday (Patti will have her time to shine) with plenty of rumors flowing that he will make an appearance at some point and then all the die-hards sticking around Sunday in the hope he does.  At least if I was running the festival AND I was friends with Bruce that's what I would try for - obviously Saturday will be oversold but like many of us, I can't see sticking around Sunday for the Pumpkins (and if anyone needs two Sunday bracelets real cheap, DM me.)  Who know - all the speculation is half the fun.  Who remembers all the Neil rumors before MSG2 in 03??
    9/8/98 (NJ), 9/10/98 (NY), 8/23/00 (NY), 8/24/00 (NY), 8/25/00 (NY), 4/30/03 (NY), 7/8/03 (NY), 7/9/03 (NY), 5/12/06 (NY), 6/1/06 (NJ), 6/3/06 (NJ), 8/5/07 (IL), 6/22/08 (DC), 6/24/08 (NY), 6/25/08 (NY), 7/1/08 (NY), 10/4/09 (TX ), 10/30/09 (PA), 5/20/10 (NY), 5/21/10 (NY), 9/3/11 (WI), 9/4/11 (WI), 7/19/13 (IL), 10/18/13 (NY), 10/19/13 (NY), 10/3/14 (MO), 9/23/15 (NY), 9/26/15 (NY), 5/1/16 (NY), 5/2/16 (NY), 8/5/16 (MA), 8/22/16 (IL), 4/7/17 (NY), 6/18/18 (UK), 8/20/18 (IL), 9/2/18 (MA), 9/4/18 (MA), 9/18/21 (NJ), 9/26/21 (CA), 10/1/21 (CA), 10/2/21 (CA), 9/10/22 (NY), 9/11/22 (NY), 9/14/22 (NJ), 9/16/22 (TN), 9/22/22 (CO), 8/31/23 (MN), 9/2/23 (MN), 9/5/23 (IL), 9/7/23 (IL), 5/16/24 (NV)
  • Options
    kaw753kaw753 Posts: 766
    Another theory re Bruce.  I could see him actually not making an appearance on Saturday (Patti will have her time to shine) with plenty of rumors flowing that he will make an appearance at some point and then all the die-hards sticking around Sunday in the hope he does.  At least if I was running the festival AND I was friends with Bruce that's what I would try for - obviously Saturday will be oversold but like many of us, I can't see sticking around Sunday for the Pumpkins (and if anyone needs two Sunday bracelets real cheap, DM me.)  Who know - all the speculation is half the fun.  Who remembers all the Neil rumors before MSG2 in 03??
    20 years ago, I went to the Stones show at the Roseland Ballroom in NYC. Previous shows had Sting, Bono, and others show up. It being NYC, there was buzz that every huge artist in the world would be there.

The opening act Jonny Lang came out and played a song with them. That was it.

So, my friend and I are sitting at the bar and I say to him, "Look at those losers on the other side of the bar trying to look like The Strokes." Turns out it was The Strokes. Nice guys! 
  • Options
    kaw753 said:
    20 years ago, I went to the Stones show at the Roseland Ballroom in NYC. Previous shows had Sting, Bono, and others show up. It being NYC, there was buzz that every huge artist in the world would be there.

So, my friend and I are sitting at the bar and I say to him, "Look at those losers on the other side of the bar trying to look like The Strokes." Turns out it was The Strokes. Nice guys! 
    Love it!!  I've met a few of the Strokes too / very cool guys. Living in NYC during that period gave us so much access to see them just about everywhere (and in tiny clubs.)  They are always a blast live and even though I've seen them 15+ times now, still so mad at myself that I missed them at Ohana a couple years back when EV played one of my all time favorite PJ songs with them: Hard to Imagine. Just phenomenal.
  • Options
    reyrey Monmouth County, NJ Posts: 271
    kaw753 said:

Love it!!  I've met a few of the Strokes too / very cool guys. Living in NYC during that period gave us so much access to see them just about everywhere (and in tiny clubs.)  They are always a blast live and even though I've seen them 15+ times now, still so mad at myself that I missed them at Ohana a couple years back when EV played one of my all time favorite PJ songs with them: Hard to Imagine. Just phenomenal.

Honestly, I can see Bruce not making an appearance at all.  He showed up and played with Social Distortion in 2018 and then in 2019 there were tons of rumors that he would play with the Dropkick Murphys (who he's recorded and played live with before) but he didn't show up.  I forget where I heard it but someone said that they think that both Bruce and Danny Clinch don't want the focus of the festival every year to be whether Bruce will show up and who he will play with.  Basically they don't want the festival to become See.Bruce.Now.

By the way, I'm actually looking for wrist bands for Sunday only for real cheap.  Will send you a DM.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,956
    @danlee1095 wall/belmar are both very nice towns.  There aren’t any rough spots on route 35, looks like a typical motel to me.  You are about five minutes to the beach (down town spring lake is gorgeous), five minutes from downtown belmar which has really good restaurants.  Maybe 20 minutes to the venue.  You basically just take route 35 straight for a few miles then make a right.  
    The original 10th Ave burrito is in belmar.  
    I think Bentley Diamond is across the street from this motel which is where I bought my wife her engagement ring.  ;)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,488
    rey said:
    kaw753 said:

Honestly, I can see Bruce not making an appearance at all.  He showed up and played with Social Distortion in 2018 and then in 2019 there were tons of rumors that he would play with the Dropkick Murphys (who he's recorded and played live with before) but he didn't show up.  I forget where I heard it but someone said that they think that both Bruce and Danny Clinch don't want the focus of the festival every year to be whether Bruce will show up and who he will play with.  Basically they don't want the festival to become See.Bruce.Now.

By the way, I'm actually looking for wrist bands for Sunday only for real cheap.  Will send you a DM.

As much as I would love it, I’m feeling like Patti Scialfa playing Saturday night could work against Bruce showing up.  I think he might feel like it’s her night to be the star in the family and he doesn’t want to steal the spotlight from her. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    on2legs said:
    rey said:
    kaw753 said:

As much as I would love it, I’m feeling like Patti Scialfa playing Saturday night could work against Bruce showing up.  I think he might feel like it’s her night to be the star in the family and he doesn’t want to steal the spotlight from her. 

Patti playing Saturday means it is likely he will be present.  Other than that it is a total crapshoot.   
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    on2legs said:
    rey said:
    kaw753 said:

Patti playing Saturday means it is likely he will be present.  Other than that it is a total crapshoot.   
    No doubt.  But present and performing are two different things.  According to setlist fm, she hasn’t played a show as a solo artist since 2004.   So I could definitely see Bruce being reluctant to grab a guitar and get on stage. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Patti solo is pretty rough.  Easy pass.  
  • Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 2,003
    "There's also rumors that everyone from, of course, Bruce Springsteen and Neil Young, who we love, that they may be coming down - but they ain't coming down. We might play one of their songs. But, I just - you can't be fucking disappointed, we're up, we're gonna work our fucking asses off, but Neil Young and Bruce Springsteen: they ain't comin'. Neil Peart from Rush ain't coming, and we don't fucking need him because we got Mr. Matt Cameron right there. Nothing against Neil Peart but, we just don't need him tonight. And then it got into, like, Billy Joel, Dave Matthews and Bon Jovi - who the fuck starts these rumors? And we don't need those fucking guys 'cause you got me, so..."
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    @danlee1095 wall/belmar are both very nice towns.  There aren’t any rough spots on route 35, looks like a typical motel to me.  You are about five minutes to the beach (down town spring lake is gorgeous), five minutes from downtown belmar which has really good restaurants.  Maybe 20 minutes to the venue.  You basically just take route 35 straight for a few miles then make a right.  
    The original 10th Ave burrito is in belmar.  
    I think Bentley Diamond is across the street from this motel which is where I bought my wife her engagement ring.  ;)
    This is all a giant help and can't thank you enough for the intel - feel better about it and splitting the double room with a friend too so already a great value compared to the nicer places closer.  Will def. check out the burrito place after I buy a few diamonds... ha ha.
  • Options
    tdawe said:
    "There's also rumors that everyone from, of course, Bruce Springsteen and Neil Young, who we love, that they may be coming down - but they ain't coming down. We might play one of their songs. But, I just - you can't be fucking disappointed, we're up, we're gonna work our fucking asses off, but Neil Young and Bruce Springsteen: they ain't comin'. Neil Peart from Rush ain't coming, and we don't fucking need him because we got Mr. Matt Cameron right there. Nothing against Neil Peart but, we just don't need him tonight. And then it got into, like, Billy Joel, Dave Matthews and Bon Jovi - who the fuck starts these rumors? And we don't need those fucking guys 'cause you got me, so..."
    Philly 09 N4, right?
  • Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 2,003
    tdawe said:
    Philly 09 N4, right?
    Yup
  • Options
    kaw753kaw753 Posts: 766
    mcgruff10 said:
    Patti solo is pretty rough.  Easy pass.  
    I have seen Springsteen on Broadway and she plays some songs with Bruce. I am no detective, but I would suspect they might play those songs at her show (unless she wants it to be her own thing outside of Bruce).
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,813
    Locals - are there tolls on Ocean Ave/the bridge from Belmar to Asbury? Down the shore (South Jersey, Ocean Drive) this type of road has a toll at each water crossing, which fine, I get. But they started charging cyclists for this as well. Just curious if I'll need to pay the troll toll while biking up from Belmar.
  • Options
    kotton_crownkotton_crown Posts: 213
    Locals - are there tolls on Ocean Ave/the bridge from Belmar to Asbury? Down the shore (South Jersey, Ocean Drive) this type of road has a toll at each water crossing, which fine, I get. But they started charging cyclists for this as well. Just curious if I'll need to pay the troll toll while biking up from Belmar.
    No toll there brotha 
  • Options
    No toll there brotha 
    Thanks! Looking forward to the ride.
  • Options
    Just make sure you don't get the bridge.  ;)
  • Options
    Watch that boys hole 
  • Options
    Watch that boys hole 

• Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,495
    No toll there brotha 
    Thanks! Looking forward to the ride.
    I might be doing the same ride from Belmar.

Thanks for the info about possible Tolls.
  • Options
    Also, Locals - I'm assuming there's bike racks of some sort somewhere around that convention center-ish area in AP, yes?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    There’s two other bridges… The Main Street/Rt 71 bridge from Belmar to Avon-by-the-Sea which is a drawbridge.  And the Rt 35 bridge from Belmar to Avon and Neptune City which is not a drawbridge.  As others noted, neither bridge is a toll.  The Main Street bridge is the more bike/pedestrian friendly and the Rt 35 Bridge is quicker if you’re going by car.  The only tolls down here are on the parkway.  Nothing local.  But they will clobber you for parking in most shore towns. 
    Post edited by on2legs on

• Options
    Thanks again! Car-free as much as possible. Walking and biking everywhere between Belmar and AP.
  • Options
    @mcgruff10 Thanks for the offer of advice on the area. I'm flying (solo) in to Newark on Friday morning. I'll have a rental car and I'm planning to skip Sunday. I found a reasonable price at Rodeway Inn in Point Pleasant for Friday-Sunday.

My main question is what would be the best way to get to Asbury Park from there on Saturday. Also, any other general thoughts or advice are welcome.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,614
    I’m at a Hampton in East Windsor. Would the locals recommend I Uber or drive from there?
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,495
    Also, Locals - I'm assuming there's bike racks of some sort somewhere around that convention center-ish area in AP, yes?
    Info from the website:https://www.seahearnowfestival.com/information

Bicycle Parking

Bike parking at Sea.Hear.Now will be available at the corner of 5th Avenue & Kingsley Street – near the main festival entrance. Cyclists must provide their own locks.

• Options
    ComeToTX said:
    I’m at a Hampton in East Windsor. Would the locals recommend I Uber or drive from there?
    I’ve actually been to that hotel a bunch of times for work conferences.  The breakfast buffet is FANTASTIC.  It might be a bit far for an Uber, so I would personally drive and get as close as you can.  Then walk or call an Uber.  Good news is that it’s a pretty direct route… just take Rt 33 all the way east and it takes you directly to Ocean Grove which is one town south of AP.