D-Day +28 124

1235»

Comments

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    mcgruff10 said:
    I wonder how many DDay vets are left.  Maybe a hundred?
    Just over 2,500 (supposedly).
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    edited June 2021
    Strange for me to remember events in elementary school where you’d have WW1 and WW2 soldiers (usually grandparents of classmates) showing up for events.   The WW2 vets hadn't even retired yet.  

the National WW2 Museum in NOLA always had some WW2 vets that sat at designated stations you could approach and ask questions.  Doubt that’s active much these days (especially post covid).  

Time does march on. 
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I m sure I have mentioned it before but my grandfather landed at Utah Beach in some capacity.  He passed away in 1986 (I was in 2nd grade) so I never got to ask him about his experiences.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    mcgruff10 said:
    I m sure I have mentioned it before but my grandfather landed at Utah Beach in some capacity.  He passed away in 1986 (I was in 2nd grade) so I never got to ask him about his experiences.  
    That's too bad.  I was able to interview one of my uncles who was captured at the Battle of the Bulge.  My other uncle (1st Marine Division, Pacific Theater) was not in any shape to be interviewed when I was doing research for my degree.