Canada: genocide and attempted extermination of indigenous peoples….

Comments

• 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    This came through on my LinkedIn Feed. I cropped out the poster name, only so the photo would show the face of her mother. 

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    brianlux said:

Horrifying and heartbreaking.
    It sure is.  Those poor children.  There are more of these graves…but they need financial support to locate them…

First Nation people’s are tired of the platitudes.   They want action, they deserve action.  

Trust me, Brian…there is nothing special about Canada.  

I can name at least five: 
    Canadians don't target practice with guns in their back yard.
    Murchie's Tea and Coffee
    Neil Young
    The Tragically Hip
    The Headstones

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

It sure is.  Those poor children.  There are more of these graves…but they need financial support to locate them…

First Nation people’s are tired of the platitudes.   They want action, they deserve action.  

Murchie's Tea and Coffee
    Neil Young
    The Tragically Hip
    The Headstones

NIIIIIIIICE. and on Hugh's (the real one) birthday to boot. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

George Strombolopolous pointed something out during the Leafs/Habs game:

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Murchie's Tea and Coffee
    Neil Young
    The Tragically Hip
    The Headstones

NIIIIIIIICE. and on Hugh's (the real one) birthday to boot. 

Awesome!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,393
    George Strombolopolous pointed something out during the Leafs/Habs game:

That's quite the juxtaposition. Thx HFD.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Murchie's Tea and Coffee
    Neil Young
    The Tragically Hip
    The Headstones

You need to rethink the gun part.  Every farmer has a gun and most rural people due.

Canadians love guns as well…just ask Toronto.

big deal about musicians…the world needs to quit worshiping celebrities…they are just as self serving.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    says the guy who pays to be in a band's fan club. lol. 

seriously, saying that musicians are a good thing doesn't necessarily mean anyone is worshipping anyone. it just means their art brings that person joy. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

And if your going to discuss celebrities…the most obvious Canadians being left out are Ethan Bear (subject of racist attacks during the playoffs) and Montreal’s all-world goalie Carey Price who’s grandmother was a residential school survivor…

anyways, all sites must be searched extensively.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited June 2021
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Murchie's Tea and Coffee
    Neil Young
    The Tragically Hip
    The Headstones

You need to rethink the gun part.  Every farmer has a gun and most rural people due.

big deal about musicians…the world needs to quit worshiping celebrities…they are just as self serving.

Well that sucks about Canadians and guns.  For some reason I thought Canadians were not as gun crazy as Americans. 
    As for musicians, yeah, I'm a fanboy when it comes to some musicians, I admit it.  But my admiration is for the music.  I have no doubt some of the musicians whose work I appreciate can be real pricks some times.  But, I don't know why you generalize all musicians as self-serving.  I'd say that's a bit harsh.  Some are wonderful people.

Anyway, yes, I'm sure there is a lot about Canada that is fucked up. 
    But nothing special?  How about the Canadian Rockies?  Canada Geese?  That marvelous railroad that runs across the lower portion of your country?  The Aurora Borealis above places like Manitoba and Halifax? Niagara Falls?  Banff?  Maple Syrup?  Captain Paul Watson and the organization he founded to protect ocean mammals and life and penguins and such, Sea Shepherd Conservation Society?  Canadian Foodgrains Bank?  Ecojustic Canada?  Tree Canada? Butchart Gardens?

I'll bet there's a lot more to add to that list.  Maybe try to have a more balanced viewpoint.  All that negativity, as George Carlin would say, it's bad for ya.

Post edited by brianlux on

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Murchie's Tea and Coffee
    Neil Young
    The Tragically Hip
    The Headstones

Well that sucks about Canadians and guns.  For some reason I thought Canadians were not as gun crazy as Americans. 
    As for musicians, yeah, I'm a fanboy when it comes to some musicians, I admit it.  But my admiration is for the music.  I have no doubt some of the musicians whose work I appreciate can be real pricks some times.  But, I don't know why you generalize all musicians as self-serving.  I'd say that's a bit harsh.  Some are wonderful people.

But nothing special?  How about the Canadian Rockies?  Canada Geese?  That marvelous railroad that runs across the lower portion of your country?  The Aurora Borealis above places like Manitoba and Halifax? Niagara Falls?  Banff?  Maple Syrup?  Captain Paul Watson and the organization he founded to protect ocean mammals and life and penguins and such, Sea Shepherd Conservation Society?  Canadian Foodgrains Bank?  Ecojustic Canada?  Tree Canada? Butchart Gardens?

I'll bet there's a lot more to add to that list.  Maybe try to have a more balanced viewpoint.  All that negativity, as George Carlin would say, it's bad for ya.

Let’s add some facts to the discussion on guns, rather than relying on impressionistic misinformation. 

Civilian firearms in the US are estimated to be 120 per 100 persons, whereas in Canada they are just under 35 per 100 people. Homicides by firearms are about six times higher in the US than in  Canada when the difference in population is accounted for (eg, in 2018, 249 vs 13,958). The application process for a license to own a firearm is much more intense and lengthy, and requires completion of a safety course plus a 28 day waiting period. 

So yes, there are major differences. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    So the Canadian govt turned a blind eye to this obviously too.

I thought I had read somewhere that the US was "reprogramming" the Native Americans here in the US too?

This is a newer article but I know there was more about it, maybe it was a documentary?
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2021/05/30/native-american-boarding-schools-abused-neglected-thousands-us/5263769001/

I thought I had read somewhere that the US was "reprogramming" the Native Americans here in the US too?

This is a newer article but I know there was more about it, maybe it was a documentary?
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2021/05/30/native-american-boarding-schools-abused-neglected-thousands-us/5263769001/
    Blind eye? No, they were very involved. What happened was essentially the goal, unfortunately. 

the federal government tasked the catholic church with "converting" native kids to being more white/european. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Blind eye? No, they were very involved. What happened was essentially the goal, unfortunately. 

the federal government tasked the catholic church with "converting" native kids to being more white/european. 
    So the govt willingly went along with it.  This happened here too.  We also had the internment camps during WW2.  We also still have Gitmo that has a bunch of "enemy combatants" that will never see the light of day.

So the govt willingly went along with it.  This happened here too.  We also had the internment camps during WW2.  We also still have Gitmo that has a bunch of "enemy combatants" that will never see the light of day.
    slightly backwards. My understanding is the catholic church went along with it. it was the feds who came up with the whole "program". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Should rename Canada Day - Settler Day and Thanksgiving - Genocide Day 
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited June 2021

slightly backwards. My understanding is the catholic church went along with it. it was the feds who came up with the whole "program". 
    You are correct. The residential schools were government sponsored. Therefore the government funded the atrocities at all Residential Schools with the last one closing in 1996. The blame must lie directly at the feet of the Canadian government, ostensibly all Canadians as the government represents all of us. 
    We are all to blame. European colonization will go down in history as a very long, cruel and morally horrifying event in the history books. 
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on

You are correct. The residential schools were government sponsored. Therefore the government funded the atrocities at all Residential Schools with the last one closing in 1996. The blame must lie directly at the feet of the Canadian government, ostensibly all Canadians as the government represents all of us. 
    We are all to blame. European colonization will go down in history as a very long, cruel and morally horrifying event in the history books. 
    That’s not really correct.  Who are you to say the government is solely responsible.?   Actually none of us decedents of settlers have a right to say?  Aboriginal peoples lay a lot of blame at the feet of the church, including Perry Bellgarde.  It’s up not to us to determine where blame lays.  That’s up to the victims of these murderous priest and nuns…and from what I’ve heard aboriginals blame the church.  It’s up to us to listen…
    Give Peas A Chance…

Sabrina Maddeaux: 215 child graves and the Catholic Church still hasn't apologized for residential schools

https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/sabrina-maddeaux-215-child-graves-and-the-catholic-church-still-hasnt-apologized-for-residential-schools/wcm/9953d16e-2d6c-4469-99ed-9e984d3e7528?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1622581517

While the Anglican, United, and Presbyterian churches all apologized or confessed for their parts in the residential school system by 1994, nearly thirty years later the Catholic Church stands alone in its determination to dodge accountability. It won’t admit wrongdoing. It won’t say sorry. And it won’t open up its coffers to help locate the children it abandoned in unmarked graves, reunite them with their families, or help the Indigenous communities scarred by the legacy of its schools.

And why are we funding Catholic education.  Time to defund the Catholic Schools.

How can anyone still call themselves catholic?
    Give Peas A Chance…

Sabrina Maddeaux: 215 child graves and the Catholic Church still hasn't apologized for residential schools

https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/sabrina-maddeaux-215-child-graves-and-the-catholic-church-still-hasnt-apologized-for-residential-schools/wcm/9953d16e-2d6c-4469-99ed-9e984d3e7528?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1622581517

While the Anglican, United, and Presbyterian churches all apologized or confessed for their parts in the residential school system by 1994, nearly thirty years later the Catholic Church stands alone in its determination to dodge accountability. It won’t admit wrongdoing. It won’t say sorry. And it won’t open up its coffers to help locate the children it abandoned in unmarked graves, reunite them with their families, or help the Indigenous communities scarred by the legacy of its schools.

And why are we funding Catholic education.  Time to defund the Catholic Schools.

How can anyone still call themselves catholic?
    Your last sentence can be used for pretty much any religion if you want to muddy those waters.  Let's not go down those roads.

If there is multiple places of blame I wouldn't expect the Catholic church to pick up the whole costs of exhuming and relocating the remains.
    Would you have a mass grave relocated or DNA test it all?  
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Murchie's Tea and Coffee
    Neil Young
    The Tragically Hip
    The Headstones

Let’s add some facts to the discussion on guns, rather than relying on impressionistic misinformation. 

Civilian firearms in the US are estimated to be 120 per 100 persons, whereas in Canada they are just under 35 per 100 people. Homicides by firearms are about six times higher in the US than in  Canada when the difference in population is accounted for (eg, in 2018, 249 vs 13,958). The application process for a license to own a firearm is much more intense and lengthy, and requires completion of a safety course plus a 28 day waiting period. 

So yes, there are major differences. 

I kind of figured so.

Minor point but one I think is valid:  info source and or links? Not knowing where the information comes leads to idiots like me doing stupid things like having impressionistic thinking.

On the other hand, impressionism isn't always a bad thing...
    Impressions album coverImpressionism

Why derail the thread with gun bullshit?  Their is your own gun thread to spout off in.  I live in a rural…every farmer has a gun…many people’s in city have a gun for hunting…Canadians have a long history of hunting and hunting is huge part of our culture…

by the way, I never said we had more guns than the USA..I said Canadians love guns as well…and they fucking do…keep live in your ra it’s pms fantasy that a gun ban will accomplish anything…and gun crime is quite comm9n in Toronto…

now back to the thread…
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

That’s not really correct.  Who are you to say the government is solely responsible.?   Actually none of us decedents of settlers have a right to say?  Aboriginal peoples lay a lot of blame at the feet of the church, including Perry Bellgarde.  It’s up not to us to determine where blame lays.  That’s up to the victims of these murderous priest and nuns…and from what I’ve heard aboriginals blame the church.  It’s up to us to listen…
    I am here to say the majority of the blame lies with the government.  The church is not without blame as they definitely culpable. However, with no money involved this never happens. 
    Like the incarceration of the blacks in the US. Without the big business interests of prisons, would it be the way it is? 
    Why derail the thread with gun bullshit?  Their is your own gun thread to spout off in.  I live in a rural…every farmer has a gun…many people’s in city have a gun for hunting…Canadians have a long history of hunting and hunting is huge part of our culture…

by the way, I never said we had more guns than the USA..I said Canadians love guns as well…and they fucking do…keep live in your ra it’s pms fantasy that a gun ban will accomplish anything…and gun crime is quite comm9n in Toronto…

now back to the thread…
    Challenging  misinformation and answering someone’s question when it comes up. 
    edited June 2021

now back to the thread…
    Well OK!  I guess you told me off!
    But wait!  You say, "Why derail the thread with gun bullshit?" and then go on with the bullshit about guns.  Interesting.  Not that I really care, but then you make personal attacks on top  of it.  Sweet.  And what you said is wrong anyway.  I never said anything about banning guns.  I'm trying to get away from guns due to my hearing issues and mental health issues.  So too damn bad if that's a problem for you. 
    Post edited by brianlux on

You say, "Why derail the thread with gun bullshit?" and then go on with the bullshit about guns.  Interesting.

it's what he does. admonishes you for a comment, then replies to it, and then proclaims you aren't allowed to respond to it or talk about it anymore. 

just ignore! it's a great feature! 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    ^^ indeed...ignoring is absolutely necessary, yet again....